LIEBERMAN!!!!! W/ an issues hit from Sean Reagan.
by Student Guy, Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 03:53:54 PM EDT
This diary will be slightly split in intentions as I just found out over at the "Great Orange Cthulhu" that Barack Obama schooled G.I.Joe (h/t to ncaldem here: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6 /4/152839/5810/316/529559). I was going to do a complete issues piece but someone smacking sense into holy Joe is too good to mention.
We all know that G.I. Joe Lieberman (I-diot) has been going around with John McCain, endorsing him, and campaigning for him. Even telling him what Purim is and bailing him out of holes like not knowing the difference between Sunni and Shia. For too long our democratic Senate has ignored these actions by Holy Joe, but today that ended.
This was originally in Roll Call and appeared in TPM.
here are the quotes from ncaldem's piece
Obama dragged Lieberman by the hand to a far corner of the Senate chamber and engaged in what appeared to reporters in the gallery as an intense, three-minute conversation.
Obama was trying to convince Lieberman of something and his stance appeared slightly intimidating.
Obama literally backed up Lieberman against the wall, leaned in very close at times, and appeared to be trying to dominate the conversation, as the two talked over each other
Afterwards, Obama smiled and pointed up at reporters peering over the edge of the press gallery for a better glimpse of their interaction.
Wow, Lieberman backed into a corner intimidated and dominated poor old G.I. Joe... Isn't this what we wanted Harry Reid to do, but look at how Obama finished it. He smiled and pointed to the press, does anyone not think Holy Joe got the message.
Now onto the issues:
Sean Reagan does an awesome job covering rural issues. But could you have guessed that rural issues also are kids issues. Some people have come to the conclusion that John McCain hates kids. After all he opposed the expansion of SCHIP and thought it covered too many kids. However John McCain's vote against the farm bill also was a vote against:
- $10.4 billion in new spending for nutrition programs aimed at helping 38 million families afford to eat;
- updating the food stamp program so that households with children receive 77% of food stamp benefits;
- providing support to emergency feeding organizations by increasing funding for TEFAP by $1.25 billion - with $50 million for immediate shortages at food pantries (where a lot of kids are getting their meals these days);
- dedicating $1 billion for free fresh fruits and vegetables for students in schools across the nation; and
- providing an additional $84 million for the McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program for infant, child, and school nutrition programs in underdeveloped countries.
Also according to what Sean dug up John McCain opposed back in 1995 and 1997 while he has still considered a "Maverick" he voted against health care for low income kids, and in 1995 against vaccines. Now you don't have to be a public health expert to realize that vaccines are a good thing.
So go and check out Sean's excellent piece on why John McCain truly hates kids (except his own, and those who are born into rich families).