MyDD consensus => electoral strategy
by srolle, Tue Nov 23, 2004 at 07:34:34 PM EST
They break down into a few main points:
1) Get the outdoorsman vote. Conservationism + guns.
2) Progressive religious alternative to conservative religious politics
3) Reframe the debate
and one less discussed that we too often ignore:
4) Trounce the GOP in the latino vote.
States we're looking to swing our way for a president:
CO, OH, WV, VA.
States where it will help in the House and Senate:
everywhere hunters and fishers make up a nice chunk of the population. States without overwhelming population centers.
2) Progressive Religious Alternative -
There seems to be a consensus that religious progressive groups must be built. Language and presentation must change and people understand, i think. We won't break into the type of folks that seek the mega-churches, but others can be given an alternative to support. We need to fight harder for Catholics. Papal opposition to the president was drastically underutilized. Abortions need to be made more rare. Actions speak louder than words for open-minded Catholics.
This is not a regional strategy...but more of a swing state strategy.
3) Reframe the debate - First, we need to take control of language. Where are our memos on key words to use? For example, some have started calling fox news, faux news. Many have said very good stuff about this. We need a standardization of terms we use. We need uniformity in this area. Repetition is the key. Second, create a narrative about America that people can latch onto. Positive energy is important to a lot of less politically involved voters.
4) The latino vote - Kerry should have won much more of this vote. With more attention, he probably could have. We need to reach out. We need to exploit Republican nativism trumpeted to white voters. Democrats aren't innocent...i saw language in some Democratic senator ads in Illinois that were awfully racist, but that's off-topic. We need to win this vote, and the shortcomings of 2004 can not happen again.
We go for wins in the Southwest horseshoe:
We go for wins in the gun toters of the East
OH, WV, VA
Again, I am trying to write a consensus thread here. Did I leave anything out, did i put something in incorrectly?
Tags: (all tags)