Someone we can all support: Eric Massa
by Mike Pridmore, Mon Dec 31, 2007 at 09:09:14 AM EST
Crossposted from dKos
In the ugliness of the Democratic presidential primary season it is a good thing when we find something we can all agree on. As we approach the primaries we also come to the end of the fundraising quarter. And I think we can all agree that supporting Eric Massa is a good thing. Here are 10 good reasons to support him:
1. He is running in a pro-Republican gerrymandered district that is currently represented by a Bush Rubber Stamp. (link, link)
2. He came close to winning that district in 2006, among the top 15 districts that Democrats narrowly lost. (link)
3. He is a 24 year Navy Veteran who worked as a top aide for a NATO commander.
- His stance against corporate interests makes John Edwards look like a milquetoast in comparison. (link)
- His energy stance is so strong his Republican opponent tried to co-opt it by taking a trip to Brazil. Here, here (on blog talk radio) and here are examples of Eric's stance. Here is discussion of Randy Kuhl's trip.
- Eric has blogged frequently at dailykos and elsewhere. And he attended and spoke at both YearlyKos conventions. Kossack Hekebolos wrote about him here. The last quarter he hasn't been blogging as much, focusing mostly on local issues and blogs during that time. But he tells me that he plans on returning to the National blog scene in 2008.
- Eric has reached out to the local NY 29 and New York State blogs all during his campaign, even hiring a former local blogger as a spokesperson.
- Eric has stood up for fellow veterans again and again. (link)
- Eric is one of three NY candidates that The Albany Project keeps a prominent ActBlue Link for. All three are tied to the Rochester area that Republicans gerrymandered to dilute Democratic strength.
- Eric is laying it all on the line to win this seat. I've only talked to him once when he seemed down. He is non-Hodgkins lymphoma survivor, it was the reason he had to retire from the Navy. I found out after I talked to him that his doctor had recently told him that the cancer could recur because of all the stress he was putting himself campaigning. I wrote about it here.
This is by no means meant to be an exhaustive list of reasons to support Eric Massa. I think Eric truly is a profile in courage that represents all that is right with the Democratic party. His ActBlue page is here.