NOW's Media Hall of Shame 2008 Edition
by louisprandtl, Fri Jun 27, 2008 at 08:47:40 PM EDT
NOW is providing us the opportunity to check out the most outrageous moments of sexism from mainstream media's coverage of the 2008 elections, and rate them yourself on NOW's Misogyny Meter. You can also nominate these geniuses for NOW's Media Hall of Shame "2008 Election Edition".
During the 2008 presidential primaries, media misogyny reached an all-time high. Sen. Hillary Clinton -- who broke new ground for women with her inspiring campaign and came close to winning the Democratic nomination -- was the target of the most extraordinarily sexist attacks we've witnessed in a long time. NOW warned that Michelle Obama would be their next target, and we were right. The media seem intent on outdoing themselves by combining sexist and racist slurs against the potential first lady. From the national to the local level, any woman who serves or runs for political office (or is the spouse of someone who does) is subject to gender-based double standards and sexist attacks. These insults serve to demean and stereotype ALL women. Any question of whether we still need a feminist movement is being answered every day in the media, and the answer is a resounding Yes.
Please check out each one of giants of mainstream media caught in action in video. The illustrious bunch for the Media Hall of Shame includes likes of:
- Keith Olbermann insinuates violence against Clinton.
- Glenn Beck complains Clinton sounds like his wife.
- Ken Rudin says Clinton is Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction.
- Marc Rudov says Hillary acts like a "B-word."
- Maureen Dowd is a chronic offender who relies on gender stereotypes.
- Charlotte Allen claims Clinton and all women are stupid.
- Robin Givhan brings attention to Hillary's cleavage.
- Mike Barnicle sees Hillary as the first wife outside court.
- Tucker Carlson is scared of being castrated by Hillary?
- Bill Kristol thinks white women are the problem.
- Andrew Sullivan tries to turn feminist voters away from Hillary.
- Chris Matthews attributes Hillary's success to Bill messing around.
- David Shuster sees Chelsea as being pimped out.
- Cameron Cardow thinks its noteworthy that Clinton wears pantsuits.
- Cameron Cardow fits three insults into one cartoon.
- Daryl Cagle draws violent imagery of Hillary Clinton as the slain beast.
- Sandy Huffaker draws Hillary as a sleazeball slugger.
- Michael Ramirez draws Clinton as the Wicked Witch.
- Jack Cafferty imagines Obama wanting to run over Clinton with a truck.
- Peggy Noonan says Hillary "needs space because she's a woman."
- Rush Limbaugh doesn't want to see a woman age in the White House.
- Randi Rhodes slurs Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro.
- Glenn Beck calls Clinton a "stereotypical bitch."
- Chief offenders: NBC and MSNBC
- Fox News labels Michelle "Obama's baby mama."
- Lars Larson thinks Michelle Obama got a free ride.
- Gary Langer pits wife versus wife.
- Cal Thomas declares all black women are angry.
Surely these media giants make us feel proud of them, don't they?
If somehow you don't approve of the actions of these great geniuses, please ACT. Act NOW!!