Latest Obama VP News
by Blazers Edge, Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 06:19:54 AM EDT
While the press may be getting ready to call Romney as McCain's VP, Obama's VP search remains a total mystery. The news about who is allegedly being vetted or not vetted is baffling. They could be smokescreens or accurate, so it's anybody's guess. So here's what is being reported.
1) Dodd came out and answered affirmatively to the question that he was being vetted. I find it shocking first that he admitted that he was asked to submit documents and second that he is in fact being vetted despite his ties, whether innocent or not, to the Countrywide mortgage debacle.
2) Biden came out and answered affirmatively that he was not being vetted, which is extremely surprising considering that he has kind of being considered as the favorite after the Clark non-controvery controversy from several weeks ago. Biden has been the only person in the news who has appeared as a surrogate for Obama on national television.
3) Howard Wolfson claimed that Clinton was not being vetted, as far as he knew (there's that nefarious phrase again), but claimed that her not being formally asked to submit papers, as far he knew, didn't mean that she wasn't on Obama's list because most of her financial information is out in the public record already, thanks in some part to Obama himself during the primaries. Of all the people discussed in the news, Obama hasn't campaigned with anybody else but her.
4) Sebelius gave a non-answer to the question about whether she was asked to submit documents. It seems that of all the most high-profile candidates, Sebelius has gotten the biggest free-ride from Obama as he hasn't asked to serve as his surrogate on national television since he won presumptive nominee status. It seems odd that Obama would pick her unless he saw how she performed against any of the tools that McCain is putting out there on a weekly basis.
5) McCaskill gives a non-answerto the question of being vetted, Salazar says he hasn't been asked to submit documents, and Tim Kaine is at the top of Bob Novak's list for Obama VPs.
I get the sense that Obama is enjoying this mystery that he's creating. Who his VP will be seems to be anybody's guess considering all the signals/smokescreens he likes to send out.