Primary Day

The last big one, and the contests to watch (will update later with results):

Republicans

DE Sen:  O'Donnell vs Castle

NH Sen: Lamontagne vs Ayotte

Democrats

NH 2nd CD: Kuster vs Swett

MA 9th CD: D’Alessandro vs Lynch

RI 1st CD: Segal vs Lynch/Gemma/Cicilline

NY 14th CD: Saujani vs Maloney

NY 15th CD: Powell/Johnson vs Rangel

Above, the insurgent/movement candidates to the left. Most of the mainstream stories are going to involve the Tea Party vs Establishment Republican storylines. Especially since, in DE, winning the primary most likely means losing the GE, for the Tea Party backed O'Donnell. I'd bet on Ayotte & Castle. On the Dem side, Segal, Saujani, and Powell/Johnson are all underdogs, and so too is D'Alessandro (but better odds). Kuster, in NH, could/should win.

Tags: (all tags)

Comments

One correction

If I'm reading you right, shouldn't Lamontagne be listed first, since he's the insurgent against Ayotte, the establishment pick?

And I'm with you, Kuster damn well better win.  Since I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'll stick with saying that any other insurgent victories in these races would be a bonus.

by bruorton 2010-09-14 02:47PM | 0 recs
RE: One correction

Yea, I changed that, thanks. I'm with you on counting on anything before its delivered. To me it looks like Ayotte has bridged across well, and will win. If Castle loses, that will be a huge story we'll have plenty of time to talk about.

by Jerome Armstrong 2010-09-14 03:52PM | 0 recs
Gosh

I like how Saujani is the "insurgent" candidate against Carolyn Maloney.

Saujani is a Wall Street veteran. She has worked at three hedge funds. She speaks the arcane language of derivatives and basis points and mortgage-backed securities. Saujani has positioned herself as the anti-Maloney, the only candidate who understands how stressful and difficult the past few years have been for some of the wealthiest people in America.

Former Morgan Stanley chief executive John Mack has given her money. So has Apollo Management founder Leon Black and the wife of J.P. Morgan Chase chief executive Jamie Dimon. Hedge fund mogul Marc Lasry hosted a fundraiser for her featuring singer John Legend that brought in $100,000.

Saujani has also attracted help from prominent New Yorkers. Maureen White, a major Democratic donor and wife of financier Steven Rattner, is introducing her to potential donors. Diana Taylor, a Republican former investment banker and the longtime companion of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), is advising her campaign.

Link

I can feel the insurgency from here.

by Steve M 2010-09-14 05:13PM | 1 recs
RE: Gosh

Oh yeah, I forgot to about that, thanks.  Lest we forget we have some good Reps, and not all "insurgents" are the same as "movement candidates."

Saujani is a good example of the establishment trying to subvert the popular discontent.  Nice to see that effort squashed last night.

by bruorton 2010-09-15 09:51AM | 0 recs
Definitely some good news tonight

The Repubs' self-inflicted wounds continue.....Christine O'Donnell is now the GOP Senate nominee from Delaware. Heh, heh, heh......

This woman makes Sharron Angle look like Margaret Thatcher. And Ras has a trial heat between Coons and O'Donnell at a +26 point advantage for Coons. So---if this idiot gets even a 10 point bounce from her primary win, Coons still has the race in the bag. Biden's seat stays in the D column.

by BJJ Fighter 2010-09-14 09:46PM | 0 recs
Write in vote for D’Alessandro

There is no way I am voting for Stephen Lynch.

by Neponset 2010-09-15 12:53PM | 0 recs