Two views, one reality

Joe Biden entered a world of his own over the Holiday, from the remarks that have been written about his interview. Fantasyland (economic recovery, popularity of HCR), denial (2010 outlook), wholesale remake of history (Iraq withdrawal)... its all there, and this:

Whether this election cycle reminds him of an earlier one: “The answer is ‘no.’ It started to remind me – in its worst sense, it reminded me initially of 1972, when I ran, when the Democratic Party was getting clobbered nationally. But we actually picked up seats in the Senate, and I won – in a year we weren’t supposed to win. … I know everyone tries to draw lessons – and I do, too – by going back and comparing it to different cycles. I’m always being kidded about quoting Irish poets. But [W.B.] Yeats had a great line. In a poem called ‘Easter, 1916,’ about the first Rising [Irish rebellion], he said, ‘All changed, changed utterly: A terrible beauty is born.’ Things have so utterly changed in terms of the balance of power worldwide, in terms of economic indicia of what constitutes growth. Look, we cannot build an economy based on the old platforms, even if we restored them all. So there’s a lot of stuff going on here that makes it hard, in my view, to compare it to any other.”

He should have stopped with "no" because the rest is as incorherent as Sarah Palin without notes.

And just what is the obsession with beating Rand Paul all about? At least the guy has a couple of positives, his being against the War on Drugs and against the continued occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan; for the full audit of the Fed. If I granted a wish, and were to list out the top twenty seats that Democrats should take, within the current toss-ups, I'd certainly give Rand Paul a pass, in order to take out lock-stock and barrel Republicans wrong on every issue.

Christopher Lyden has an interview with Willy Dalrymple:

“The war has lost all semblance of shape or form,” he observes, at a moment when our puppet is trying to make peace with our enemy. “I’ll be amazed,” Dalrymple says, “if the Taliban aren’t in Kabul by the end of the year.”

He confirms on the ground the inescapable but conventionally unprintable judgment that the American “predator drones” have been the Taliban’s most effective weapon and own moral downfall. “All you read in the papers here is the successful ‘hits’ on militant hideouts. What you don’t get is what you get in Pakistani papers: ‘Five More Wedding Guests Killed in Party’ and ‘Petraeus Apologizes.’”

In Afghanistan this Spring, it struck Willy Dalrymple that “the whole thing is on its last legs, considerably worse than I expected or had been led to believe by reports I’d read. The Taliban are everywhere… The only answer now must be some way to bring the Taliban and the Pashtuns into government. But there’s no sense that Obama or Holbrooke are ready to break that to the American people. It’s blindingly obvious. The Brits and the Europeans and Karzai are all pushing for it. The Americans are the only ones not taking the view that the Taliban has to be brought in…”

Meanwhile, Mitt Romney is wondering why President Obama is trying to roll back the proliferation of nuclear weapons globally. "It jeopardizes our missile defense system.... gives Russia a massive nuclear weapon advantage over the United States."  WTF Romney, it's 2010, not 1980.

A Obama vs Romney 2012 race will be like a giant sucking sound for an Independent alternative.

Back to Dalrymple:

The next day I go to the Jurga and I talked to the elders. Where we were sitting in Jalalabad was, by chance, beside the Jalalabad airfield, which is one of the major takeoff zones for the drones. And as we’re having this conversation, these sinister creatures, these pilotless craft were taking off and landing the whole time… And one of the elders told me about an interview he’d had with some American soldiers in a hotel in Jalalabad the previous week. And the American had asked: “Tell me, why do you hate us? We’ve come, we’re trying to help, we’re trying to bring democracy. We’ve built roads — why do you hate us?” And the man replied: “Because you come in our houses, you knock down our doors, you take our women by the hair, you kick our children, and we will not allow it. We will break your teeth like we broke the teeth of the British, and like the British, eventually you will leave.” And he said: “The Americans know that this war is lost. It is only their politicians who pretend they can win it.”

William Dalrymple in conversation with Chris Lydon in New York City, June 18, 2010.

Ian Welsh:

I recently wrote that Obama has chosen to stay in Afghanistan because war spending is one of the only reliable forms of stimulus he has. I am baffled by many of the responses to that article. What do readers think would happen to the US economy if all that spending stopped and wasn’t replaced by anything?

On a related note, Dems pushed through a jobs bill last Thusday night.

Tags: (all tags)

Comments

RE: Two views, one reality

Oh come on, Rand Paul isn't just a pro-BP anti-civil rights joke, he's also corrupt! If it wasn't for the faux board and hypocrisy, I might get where you were coming from, but the guy just doesn't smell right. He's like Palin, he lives in a world of his own making with his own rules and expects others to play by those rules too, and isn't so much mad as he is surprised when they don't.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-07-06 03:12PM | 1 recs
Paul's Law

I agree.

There was Godwin's Law. And now there is Rand Paul's Law: No matter what other academically interesting or politically useful positions you hold, if you're opposed to civil rights, you forfeit all your arguments.

I know Markos discusses Rand Paul a lot. I have to agree that if this guy isn't the face of the GOP, he should be made to be.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-07-06 07:00PM | 0 recs
RE: Paul's Law

Not surprised to see that you agrree!  And you site the ugly orange as some way to back you up!  (gag!)

Look, it's time to face up to the fact that facts matter these days and J. ArmSTRONG is our strongest fact-based blogger.

by 2010-07-07 02:04AM | 0 recs
RE: Two views, one reality

You're challenging ArmSTRONG?  Really?

You should know by now that this man has more facts under his fingernail than any of the koOlade brigade that try to shout down the cold hard truth around here.  It's a simple fact that this man has more REAL experience on REAL campaigns than anyone elsee here.  Nobody else here as been directly responsible for REAL change the way J. ArmSTRONG has!  If he says something is so Im not going to throw him under the bus becasue one of you has a smelling problem.

I know youre not an uninteligent person but really it's time for you and the rest of your type to think a little more carefuly before you try to challenge the peopke who really do know deeply what theyre talking about.

by 2010-07-07 02:01AM | 0 recs
RE: Two views, one reality

You're challenging ArmSTRONG?  Really?

by 2010-07-07 02:01AM | 0 recs
RE: Two views, one reality

"And just what is the obsession with beating Rand Paul all about?"

You've GOT to be kidding! Rand Paul's ethics and Poli-Sci 101 ideologies are of the same caliber as the fear and hate politics of Angle and Palin. I had to stop reading after that line. You're obviously ill informed.

by Karen Conley 2010-07-06 03:50PM | 1 recs
RE: Two views, one reality

Refusing to read the bright work of j. ArmSTRONG is just putting your fingers in your ears and shouting nya nya nya!  Your being blind to the truth and refusing to see the light of his fact-based and clearly reasoned arguments!  Do your self a favor and pull youre head out of the sand and listen to what he's saying!  You can learn a lot from the wisdon offered in this postt!

by 2010-07-07 02:07AM | 0 recs
RE: Two views, one reality

You are confusing him with his daddy. This is the real Rand:

Paul has lately said he would not leave abortion to the states, he doesn't believe in legalizing drugs like marijuana and cocaine, he'd support federal drug laws, he'd vote to support Kentucky's coal interests and he'd be tough on national security.

Not to mention that Jack Conway is much better than Landrieu or Bayh or even Feinstein. Having him in the Senate for 6 years is a real good deal. Quit buying teabagger spin about their "principles" - they don't have any.

by bay of arizona 2010-07-06 03:57PM | 2 recs
RE: Two views, one reality

So youre claiming that some random quote from the internets is actually going to beat the facts as stated by Jermome?  I have news for you , the internets is full of all sorts of quotes, but Jerome ArmSTRONG has the knowledge and intelligents and experience to be able to analyze all the information out htere and sift out the dirt to come up with the golden nuggets of truth that really matter.

Some days it seems like you types just want to be ignoreant!

by 2010-07-07 02:10AM | 0 recs
can't see Romney getting the nomination

His religion plus the similarities between Romneycare and Obamacare will sink him in the primaries.

by desmoinesdem 2010-07-06 04:05PM | 0 recs
RE: can't see Romney getting the nomination

I'm inclined to agree about health care (please don't let the right-wing win the war of words again, though, with "Obamacare'), but I don't think the religion will be an issue. After one cycle of beating up a guy over something like that, the nation seems to move on, like Smith and Catholics.

I do think Huckabee, Palin, and maybe a Pence will split the religious vote. A more mainstream figure, like Pawlenty or Romney (Jindal won't run, I don't think), will probably be the nominee. The argument for Romney in that scenario is that he's next-in-line, and the GOP always nominates who's next-in-line. That sounds cliched, but heck, they even nominated John McCain before his dive to the right.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-07-06 04:29PM | 1 recs
RE: can't see Romney getting the nomination

Obamacare - might as well call it what it is.  At least in language that wont get beeped on TV.   I call it something else but that can't be said in 'polite' compamy.

by 2010-07-07 02:12AM | 0 recs
RE: can't see Romney getting the nomination

You and Joe Biden both.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-07-07 02:46AM | 0 recs
RE: can't see Romney getting the nomination

C'mon Nathan I expect more out of you then to compare me to the bumbling bozo.  Instead of insults why not try thinking about the facts laid out in this braceing jolt of tough reality.  Jerome has already pointed out that its not to late to line up a decent candidate, but we can't succeed withat noble goal until rank and phile Dems like you rub the sand from your eyes and look at the reality on the grounds. But dont take it from me, I'm not here beating the I Told You SO drum, I'm just urgeing you to listen to the man we can all respect and follow.

Forget the flaming wars and together we can get a real Democratic President!

by 2010-07-07 05:28AM | 0 recs
RE: can't see Romney getting the nomination

You are so right that its a total loser for everyone who touches it!

by 2010-07-07 05:30AM | 0 recs
I like Dalrymple

And I also agree with his take in this instance.

by Ravi Verma 2010-07-06 04:19PM | 0 recs
Thanks for mentioning the Romney op-ed

I read it this morning and couldn't believe he'd be that foolish. People with such views must never again be allowed to influence our foreign policy.

by Jon Lester 2010-07-06 08:56PM | 1 recs