2012 conventions

This process is well underway. The GOP has already chosen their dates, the week of August 27th. Most likely then, the Democrats will follow with theirs the week of September 3rd (which is labor day). It's CW that they wouldn't push it further back, but they might, which would mean it starts on the 10th of Sept, or even the 17th of Sept (I see alot of upside in doing this latter).

As for where the conventions will be, the GOP is out visiting cities. Right now, the Republicans seem to have narrowed their choices down to Phoenix, AZ; Tampa Bay FL; and Salt Lake City, UT. Dan Quayle is leading the charge for having it in Phoenix:

"I knew half of the committeemen who were there on the selection committee," Quayle told The Arizona Republic. "I had known them in the past, and I really buttonholed them and pushed hard - hard - for Phoenix."

Here's an article on Tampa Bay:

Tampa was a finalist for the 2004 and 2008 GOP conventions but lost to New York in 2004 and Minneapolis-St. Paul in 2008. Local Republicans believe the third time will be the charm, particularly because of the state's importance in the presidential election.

And SLC, well, that just seems a weird choice for the Republicans. I guess its a tip of the hat to Romney. My guess is that its a very close vote between FL and AZ, but that FL wins out because of its previous runner-up status, and the Republicans having lost the toss-up state in 2008. The GOP will decide by May or so.

For the Democrats, unlike in the last cycle, when Dean was very early in getting things settled, Kaine appears to be holding off and seeing what the Republicans decide first (its sorta a tradition to let the out of power party to go first with date & city).

I've thought that Charlotte North Carolina has had the inside track for a while now. SC's Don Fowler has been shepherding the cities pitch since last year (here, here, and here), Kaine is going to like that its' in the South, and Obama is going to want to keep NC in his column for '12. Gov. Beverly Perdue has gotten into the action; a Democratic Mayor is now in place in Charlotte.

A number of other cites have been mentioned in the running for the Democratic convention, including Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Dallas, and Philadelphia, but little but little has happened. It may be all but a done deal-- with Charlotte the choice. I was just in Phoenix, a lovely place to be in March, but unbearable in August. That said, I expect that which ever choice (FL or AZ) is runner-up for the Republicans, may get a serious look by the DNC. Perhaps there's some other city that might emerge as well, given how little movement that has happened at the DNC to date.

DCB brings up a complication for Charlotte, and its a big one:

Another big factor in St. Louis being chosen is that it is in a pro-Union state. Unlike other possible contenders like Charlotte, NC, St. Louis is union friendly which is a must for any Democratic Convention.

Could be that whether its "a must" becomes part of the change. I've a poll in the extended entry.

[UPDATE] The Democratic convention is going to be the week of Sept 3rd.

Poll

Where do you want the Democratic convention held in 2012?

| 19 votes | Results

Tags: DNC, RNC (all tags)

Comments

if Obama wants to have the convention in NC

they won't let the fact that it's not a union town get in the way.

by desmoinesdem 2010-04-04 12:22PM | 0 recs
RE: if Obama wants to have the convention in NC

IIRC, there were issues with Denver 'cos it wasn't a union friendly town, but it worked out OK....

by LordMike 2010-04-04 09:48PM | 0 recs
I'm pushing for Philadelphia...

The town with more liberal bloggers per square inch. Lots of hotel rooms, but still one of the cheapest large cities in which to stay. And quite frankly, you can't beat our amazing restaurants. The Convention Center is attached to the world-famous Reading Terminal Market, it's a close walk to our Chinatown (which, unlike D.C., is actually full of great Asian restaurants).

Our food scene is as vibrant as our neighbor to the north but a helluva lot cheaper.

Great music scene here, too. (And for those of you from mediocre baseball towns, we'll have playoff action with the Fightin' Phillies.)

We're funky, we're cool, we're ready to host. Go Philly!

by Susie from Philly 2010-04-04 01:53PM | 0 recs
Lest we forget

Charlotte is also a banking capital.  Not a positive feature IMO.

by Steve M 2010-04-04 03:22PM | 0 recs
RE: Lest we forget

Ya, I'm pretty underwhelmed by Charlotte. If it has to be in the South, why not Atlanta?

Is it some sort of tradition that both the GOP & Dem conventions have to be in the same time zone?

by vecky 2010-04-04 05:38PM | 0 recs
RE: Lest we forget

Atlanta hosted in 1988--maybe too soon to repeat.

by desmoinesdem 2010-04-04 09:40PM | 0 recs
Dallas...

My soon-to-be home city would be a good choice.  I think this union thing is overrated.  And even though convention sites have no impact on voting in the GE, I do think eventually the Dems are going have to make a play for Texas at some point.

It may be two or three cycles away, but Texas' demographics are moving slowly away from the GOP stranglehold on the state.  And in September (thanks to Karl Rove for later convention dates), the worst of the Texas heat may be avoided.

by esconded 2010-04-04 07:26PM | 0 recs
RE: Dallas...

If Latino turnout in Texas was the same as California, Obama would have nearly tied it in '08.

Has there been a study on the effects of having a convention in a certain state?

by bay of arizona 2010-04-06 01:37PM | 0 recs
RE: 2012 conventions

Please, not Texas.

Not Georgia.

Not Florida, not Utah.

I'd like to see a Midwestern state, preferably one with a good number of electoral votes.  - Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, or Michigan.  Pennsykvania could be a good pick as well.

by susie 2010-04-04 09:44PM | 1 recs
RE: 2012 conventions

I quite like Philadelphia. With tea-baggery likely to be in full swing in the 2012 cycle what better place than the city where the Declaration of Independence was signed?*

* I bet most of them won't even have known that.

by vecky 2010-04-05 04:04AM | 1 recs
Florida at that time of year?

I live in the Orlando area.  The August-September weather is, in a word, hot.  In two words: hot, humid.  Chance of afternoon thunderstorms near 100%.  Hurricanes are a possibility - the peak of the season is early September.

I'd love the attention a national political convention would bring to Florida.  Only they need to schedule it in November-December-January for best probability of good weather.  And come to think of it, the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary in early January is pretty stupid as well.  Hell, move the Election Day to July 4 and all this stuff starts making sense.

by GreginFL 2010-04-04 10:05PM | 1 recs
Speaking from Saint Paul

You do not want a convention! The RNC caused local businesses to shut down. Don't even mention the way peaceful protesters were treated. The Teabaggers will descend on the DNC in 2012. UGLY.

by alectimmerman 2010-04-05 08:35AM | 0 recs
Indianapolis

We're already hosting the Super Bowl that year, we have tons of convention space and hotel rooms, and we're in a battleground region.

by Vox Populi 2010-04-05 09:52AM | 0 recs
RE: Indianapolis

Indianapolis, fine.

But please elect a Dem. governor and Senator first.

by susie 2010-04-05 12:00PM | 0 recs
RE: Indianapolis

We're working on that.  In 2012 we'll have Evan Bayh as our candidate for governor and an open senate seat (Lugar's going to retire).

by Vox Populi 2010-04-05 12:54PM | 0 recs
Give me the Show Me State and St. Louis

Union town, Harry S Truman, Gateway Arch, Beer and a Shot, and throw in Mark Twain. Missouri and St. Louis just shouts Tradition and Democratic Values at the same time.

Charlotte? Credit card companies and the Research Triangle. Big yawn.

A party and a Party on the Mississippi halfway between New Orleans and Minneapolis sounds pretty good to me. Go St. Louis!

(Indianapolis? My Mom was born and raised in Noblesville, about 18 miles north of Memorial Circle downtown, and my multi-great Grandparents started assembling the family farm in Brownsburg maybe 10 miles west back in the 1820's, with some of them immigrating before Indiana was even a State, but lets face it, excitement in Indiana is hearing the corn grow (no shit you can actually hear it on a quiet night, kind of eerie, I lived out in the corn fields for two years in High School). I am rooting like Hell for the Butler Bulldogs to pull it out tonight, but even if they win I don't expect that Hoosiers will be turning over cars and lighting dumpsters on fire, even though the Final is RIGHT THERE. Indy is just not that fun a town.)

by Bruce Webb 2010-04-05 11:33AM | 0 recs
RE: Give me the Show Me State and St. Louis

Because I'm sure Democrats want to see people burning dumpsters and tipping cars after their convention...

by Vox Populi 2010-04-05 02:05PM | 0 recs
Politically, there are reasons for all.

Tampa Bay, as was stated above, has the problem of being near the coast at the peak of hurricane season.  However, Florida would be a huge keep.  I don't think the Republicans have much of an avenue to victory without Florida.  And the Tampa Bay area is a swingy area.

Charlotte, again, is a big state to keep that would cripple the Republicans' electoral chances if we won, and holding onto Mecklenburg County at the rate Obama won it is critical to keeping the state.

Having it in St. Louis may help to win the classic swing state and may help McCaskill in her re-election bid.

Philadelphia, like Florida and North Carolina, is a huge swing state.  We have to win it to win the White House, in my opinion.

Phoenix is in a swingy state and might also help regionally with states like Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico.  Ensign will be up in Nevada in 2012.

Dallas an area that's moving our way in a state that should move our way eventually.  I just don't see it happening in 2012.  Going in Dallas may help us pick up some seats in the area, but it's a waste of a convention to have it in a state we're probably not going to win anyways.

by TheUnknown285 2010-04-05 12:06PM | 0 recs
I don't care about the union thing and want...

...the convention held in any closely-contested battleground state, but I voted for Tampa Bay on the hypothesis that it's the most winnable state for us in 2012 that, if we win it, the Republicans are toast.

North Carolina, too, fits the latter part of that description, and maybe it's just as winnable as Florida given the health care reform law (older whites a LOT more hostile than younger and browner voters) combined with NC's demographic trend, but I think NC still is ultimately more conservative overall, and therefore more difficult for us, than Florida.

Phoenix and St. Louis, too, would be fine.

But "union town" isn't something I imagine should matter that much.  I'm not sure the differences in unionization laws are THAT big across the states, and given Missouri's slight conservative lean compared to the country as a whole, I somehow doubt Missouri law is that much more pro-union than NC or Florida law.

On the Republican side, oh please oh please pick Salt Lake City!  Couldn't be more worthless a pick for them!  Does Michael Steele get to decide?......I hope so, the odds of a stupid pick go up exponentially!

by DCCyclone 2010-04-05 12:49PM | 1 recs
Rec'd for your last paragraph.

Please, Republicans.  Please waste your convention in a state you'll win anyways.

by TheUnknown285 2010-04-05 04:56PM | 0 recs
Dems chose week of 9/3

DNC Chairman Tim Kaine announced today that the Democrats would hold their 2012 convention the week of September 3.

by msn1 2010-04-05 09:06PM | 0 recs