Harry Reid Goes On-Air on Healthcare Reform

Take a gander:

You can see the whole bevy of ads here through YouTube. From my vantage, they do a good job of explaining the tangible benefits of healthcare reform legislation in a compelling way, one that actually speaks to specifics and individuals. And considering that a whopping 81 percent of Nevadans do not believe that the healthcare plan put forward by Reid's top GOP challenger Sue Lowden (bartering for care) is a "realistic way to reduce medical costs," it's probably not a bad idea for Reid to hammer away on the issue.

Tags: Senate 2010, Harry Reid, Sue Lowden, hcr, healthcare reform, Bartering, chickens, Adwatch, NV-Sen (all tags)

Comments

the problem is

Reid's been running ads for months--I think since December--and it hasn't moved his numbers much, if at all. I just don't know if he can change voters' opinions of him in the six months left before the election.

But the more he can keep Lowden's chickens out there in the public's mind, the better.

by desmoinesdem 2010-04-29 06:27PM | 0 recs
An ad suggestion

They should figure out how many chickens it takes to pay $15,000, and show her herding a flock of chickens into the doctor's office.

by interguru 2010-04-29 09:23PM | 0 recs
RE: Harry Reid Goes On-Air on Healthcare Reform

This is good and something a lot of dems should have been putting out during the HCR debate.  Transparency and general public understanding was a problem, so using a quasi-PSA approach would be more beneficial.

You know bartering chickens would work if we were still in the healthcare technological era where wooden bite-down sticks were the closest thing to morphine.  Someone might want to tell Lowden that we aren't.

by Chuckie Corra 2010-04-30 04:30AM | 0 recs
RE: Harry Reid Goes On-Air on Healthcare Reform

Bingo.  When you're getting wheeled into surgery, try asking the anesthesiologist how many chickens her bill will come to.

by RT 2010-04-30 10:19AM | 0 recs
RE: Harry Reid Goes On-Air on Healthcare Reform

If i were the anesthesiologist, I would return that comment with "how much of this anesthesia am I supposed to administer again?"

by Chuckie Corra 2010-04-30 11:15AM | 0 recs
R2K Says Reid's Catching Up

Here.  Reid was running about 10 points behind in January; now he's running 2-4 points behind his assorted challengers.  Nate Silver says the GOP has a 77% chance of picking up this seat; I'd love to get a bet down on Reid at anywhere near those odds, because I think he's gonna pull it out.

Meanwhile, in Arkansas where Nate gives the GOP a 92% chance of winning, Halter's closing the gap with Lincoln, and R2K shows him running essentially even with any opponent besides Boozman, and only -5 there.

Just sent $200 to Halter's campaign fund.  I've always said I'd open my wallet for a good primary challenger, and now we've got one.

I think the odds are improving for November.  We're still gonna lose ground - it's a midterm, after all - but if things break right, we really could limit the Senate losses to ND, IN (Evan Bayh, useless to the end), and DE, and quite possibly pick up OH, MO, and NH.

If the Dems are still at 55 or better in the Senate come January, I think they'd be strong enough to pull off at least a partial filibuster reform, in which case the next Congress wouldn't have to be wall-to-wall gridlock.

by RT 2010-04-30 10:17AM | 0 recs