At Least, We're Not Ukraine

Ukraine is a cleft country deeply divided between pro-Russian and anti-Russian sentiments. Today those sentiments boiled over in the Duma with a most extraordinary display. The video is in Russian. For a report from Russia Today in English visit their YouTube channel.

Tags: Geopolitics, ukraine (all tags)

Comments

Nobody comes to session of Congress with umbrellas except the Italians.

What's up with this? It's infectious I would suppose. But lovely to watch. Democracy in action.

by MainStreet 2010-04-27 05:16PM | 0 recs
I remember fistfights in the Russian Duma

in the 1990s. Vladimir Zhirinovsky always seemed to be in the middle of them.

I've never followed Ukrainian politics closely, but they do seem to be quite dysfunctional.

by desmoinesdem 2010-04-27 05:26PM | 0 recs
RE: I remember fistfights in the Russian Duma

Frankly, I kind of like it. At least they ventilate. When you look at American politicians, who would like to take their opponents heads off, they sit back like stuffed shirts and swallow.

We need more original people in Congress who don't mind carrying umbrellas amd eggs to congressional sessions. I think it might resolve some problems we have in a more honest manner then the pretentious way it is currently done.

by MainStreet 2010-04-27 05:32PM | 1 recs
RE: I remember fistfights in the Russian Duma

For real, I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Grayson chucking water balloons at another house member.

by Chuckie Corra 2010-04-27 06:18PM | 0 recs
RE: I remember fistfights in the Russian Duma

perhaps for charity but this is a breakdown. violence only begets violence.

It's not like our own Congress hasn't seen episodes of violence. The caning of Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts by Rep. Preston Brooks of South Carolina in 1856 comes to mind.

by Charles Lemos 2010-04-27 06:23PM | 0 recs
RE: I remember fistfights in the Russian Duma

Maybe instead of going to such extremes as hurling eggs (or water balloons for that matter, I was serious), something less violent could be incorporated.  Looking at the video again, the lack of decorum or any organized control of the situation is a bit unsettling.

I think a little healthy displays of discontent, however, may be beneficial.

by Chuckie Corra 2010-04-27 06:46PM | 0 recs
сумасшедший думa!

I also have to agree with MainStreet.  At least they vent their anger on the floor instead of letting it pile up so they relieve stress other ways (i.e. 50th birthday tickle parties)

As long as it doesn't go downhill and end up creating another waco-style standoff that happened in '93

by Chuckie Corra 2010-04-27 06:16PM | 1 recs