Dangerous Times

Things are getting out of hand:

Days after his address was posted online by a Virginia Tea Party activist, the FBI and local law enforcement officials are investigating a "suspicious incident" at the home of Rep. Tom Perriello's brother.

A line to the propane tank on his brother's gas grill had been "severed," an aide to the Democratic congressman told CNN.

This news comes not long after reports that Tea Party protestors used the worst kind of racial epithet in addressing Congressman John Lewis -- who got his head bashed in 45 years ago trying to march for his rights in Alabama -- and that Congressman Anthony Weiner was receiving anti-Semitic notes during the healthcare debate.

This is simply unacceptable in this country and must stop. As Congressman Jim Clyburn just said at a press conference, where it was revealed that 10 members of Congress are now receiving beefed up security after threats over the healthcare vote, "silence breeds consent" -- so the time is now to speak up and say "no more."

Tags: healthcare reform (all tags)

Comments

put it in perspective

This isnt just a righ wing nutcase only problem. In the spring of 2008 during the presidential campaign, Tavis Smiley was seen as beign critical of Obama. The result were death threats from Obama suppporters. Family members were harrassed on the street. So lets not turn this into something it isnt. Thsi is just a handful of nuts who are pissed off. It happens and the extremes on both sides engage in the behavior.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-24 04:06PM | 1 recs
RE: put it in perspective

good use of the of "false equivalence" logical fallacy, buckeye

by jeopardy 2010-03-24 04:18PM | 1 recs
RE: put it in perspective

I'm with Buckeye Blogger.  Remember that poor girl in Pittsburgh who had the backwards "B" carved into her face right before the election in 2008?  I hear the assailant was a black man who also happened to be an Obama supporter.  This happens all the time on both sides.

<snark flag for the snark-sensing impaired>

by the mollusk 2010-03-24 04:45PM | 2 recs
RE: put it in perspective

yes because its only the nasty white republicans who ever do anything bad. Unlike you I live in the real world and recognize that folks regardless of color, religion or political affiliation do some stupid things...

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-24 07:11PM | 1 recs
Reverse racism! Reverse racism!

You're showing your true colors here with your almost puma-esque cries of news coverage being "reverse racism".

In this instance, and in this time, it is angry white men committing these atrocious acts, being egged on by the party of angry white men.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-24 08:53PM | 1 recs
RE: Reverse racism! Reverse racism!

Ya mean kind of like when Angry black men left by Al Sharpton perpetrated one fo the great hoaxes in American history with Tawana Brawley? It was the white mans fault that time too right?

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-24 09:01PM | 1 recs
RE: Reverse racism! Reverse racism!

When you have to go back over 20 years to draw an equivalence to death threats and violence that are happening right as we speak, it might be time to just stop arguing.

by Steve M 2010-03-25 12:59AM | 0 recs
I'm sorry

did that case involve a dozen congressman having their lives and lives of their families threatened?

You are a piece of work buckeye, a real piece of work

by ND22 2010-03-25 01:22PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

Jokes notwithstanding, I tend to agree with you on this.  The only caveat I'd make to the general rule that crazy crosses party lines is that the Republicans (for the moment) seem to have the angrier folks on their side.  Part of it is their own scorched-earth rhetoric, part of it is the nature of conservative libertarianism.  The Democrats seem to have either completely alienated or placated the angry left.  I can't imagine that they've been placated, so I'll go with alienated.

A few years back, when Bush had started and thoroughly f'd up two wars and was beginning to rattle sabers with Iran, there was never the slightest risk of a general uprising by the Left in this country.  Fast-forward to 2010 and a middling, basically conservative piece of legislation dealing with Health Insurance (of all things) ignites folks on the Right to anger, protest, and several symbolic acts of pseudo-violence.  That is a quantitative difference.  I'm not saying it's a universal truth, but that's where we are at the moment.

by the mollusk 2010-03-25 01:25AM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

But that's how the conservative Right operates. Witness the Clinton years - it was no different. Fascism, and that is what it is, always lurks in the under-belly of the conservative soul. Be just have to be wary and on our guard.

by vecky 2010-03-25 01:34AM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

I will agree with alot of what you said. However, I do know a few folks who are participating in the tea party movement. All three are independent voters. 2 Voted for Obama and 1 for McCain. For them its mroe a matter of being completely fed up with Government. They see it as corrupt and intrusive. All 3 woudl like to see current members out of office and the idea of lifetime politicians come to an end. 2 of the 3 support healthcare reform but werent big fans of this particular bill or the lack of leadership by the President.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 08:57AM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

For the record: I don't think most of us lump all the tea-partiers together. There are some crazy ones who are genuinely nuts and are rilled up by the the GOP affiliated machine (freedom works, etc). There are some genuine voices in there. But that's not what we're talking about.

by vecky 2010-03-25 12:31PM | 0 recs
You know why I DO lump them all together?

Because not one of them said a gosh darned word when George W. Bush was President. When we needed people speaking up against a corrupt and intrusive government, where were they? Not one of them said a word during all the horrors and atrocities and crimes against the Constitution during Bush's reign.

So what does that say?

All of a sudden, overnight one magical night, these people all became concerned about the Constitution?

Bulls***!

These people are Calhounists. They're threatened by democratic rule because democratic rule challenges the wealthy white male power structure in this country.

Not all of them are violent. That's true. But they are all full of s***. Every last one of them.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-25 01:42PM | 0 recs
Proving my point

Where were they 8 years ago?

The trillions wasted on pointless wars? The out of control spending and fiscal irresponsibility? The revokation of civil liberties through the Patriot Act? Indefinite detentions? And scandal after scandal after scandal in the GOP congress?

You elect a black man President, and all of a sudden, government overnight becomes "too big".

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-25 01:34PM | 0 recs
RE: Proving my point

Yes those poor nic emen at Guantanamo were  just minding their business when the mean old Soldier came and took them away from their families.....please. As for the Patriot Act, it was the right thing to do.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 01:39PM | 0 recs
RE: Proving my point

An eight-month McClatchy investigation in 11 countries on three continents has found that Akhtiar was one of dozens of men — and, according to several officials, perhaps hundreds — whom the U.S. has wrongfully imprisoned in Afghanistan, Cuba and elsewhere on the basis of flimsy or fabricated evidence, old personal scores or bounty payments.

McClatchy interviewed 66 released detainees, more than a dozen local officials — primarily in Afghanistan — and U.S. officials with intimate knowledge of the detention program. The investigation also reviewed thousands of pages of U.S. military tribunal documents and other records.

This unprecedented compilation shows that most of the 66 were low-level Taliban grunts, innocent Afghan villagers or ordinary criminals. At least seven had been working for the U.S.-backed Afghan government and had no ties to militants, according to Afghan local officials. In effect, many of the detainees posed no danger to the United States or its allies.

You're not a Republican? What you ain't is 'credible'.

by QTG 2010-03-25 02:08PM | 0 recs
RE: Proving my point

And your still one of those people who believes that Islam is a religion of peace.....

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 02:29PM | 0 recs
We

like most Americans, do believe Islam is a religion of peace, yes.

by ND22 2010-03-25 03:44PM | 0 recs
RE: We

havent read much history I guess....as for your comments accusing me of being a racist and homophobe, I wont even dignify your rant with a response. Your not worth the time or effort.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 03:50PM | 0 recs
Let go of the hate buckeye

let go of it.

I love conservatives, they get to make false statements about your character, but when you do it back to them, they get all pissy and run away whining and act like its such a mean and horrible thing to do.

Since I know I won't get an apology from you to accusing me of thinking 9/11 was an inside job, I'm just going to question your character publically until you do, or until you go away.

Oh and in order to dignify me with a response buckeye, you need to actually have dignity.

by ND22 2010-03-25 03:54PM | 0 recs
RE: Let go of the hate buckeye

you mean as opposed to the liberal routine of immediate calling someone a racist and homophobe as soon as they say something you disagree with? yeah thats it. See the difference here is that I recognize that politicians and people in the public eye receive threats all the time, only in this case some are making the threats against them more public to make it appear as if those on the opposite side are accused and blamed for a handful of looneys?You actually think that democrats are the only ones ever receiving threats? Are you really that naive.

Oh and you can forget about me going away. I  have said it before, the problem with the liberal left of the democratic party is that you hate those of us in the center or right of the party. In your eyes its your way or no way. Ya cant possible be a democrat otherwise. Zell Miller is a great example. The guy was and is a lifelong democrat, but because he was critical of the party's direction, all the left wingers attacked him, said he wast legit, wasnt really a democrat. The guy had more democratic blood in him than most anyone else alive. Get over it, I am not going away. Funny, if Clinton were in office today you probably would hate him. We would be better off he were still in office.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 10:12PM | 0 recs
Whine somewhere buckeye

As opposed to the conservamoron routine of saying this to someone they disagree with;

Again your one who believe Islam is a peaceful religion, Israel is to blame for all the trouble in the mideast and 9/11 was an inside job...

Like I said buckeye, if you're going to randomly accuse me of things, I'm going to randomly accuse YOU of things.

You mean the same Zell Miller who thought the Iraq War was a good idea and George Bush was a great President? Things you even admit were wrong now? No, buckeye, we didn't attack him because he was a conservative, we attacked him because he was WRONG!

Learn the difference.

by ND22 2010-03-26 01:25PM | 0 recs
So big government is ok

if it spies on you and pries into your lives and spends trillions of dollars fighting wars that could never be won, but spending money on healthcare is corrupt?

Nice!

by ND22 2010-03-25 02:38PM | 0 recs
RE: So big government is ok

When have I not supported healthcare? When did I support the war in Iraq? I do support the war in Afghanistan and the Pakistan area and it has been effective. As for the government "spying? on me...exactly how are they doing that and if I have nothing to hide why would I be worried to any great degree.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 03:16PM | 0 recs
RE: So big government is ok

Since I've never said any of the above, I guess you're opening up to just saying random shit, so I'll do it to.

You one who believes your better than everyone else, black and hispanic people are inferior and should not be treated the same as whites, homosexuality is a sickness and gays need to be converted, and everyone should follow Christiain law.

lPlease point out where I said any of this and I'll take all of that back, otherwise shove it up your ass.

Typical regressive conservative dumbass when you can't win a debate, just accuse your opponents of believing random shit.

I'll give you one thing though...as compared to Christinaity (and I went to Catholic school), Islam IS a religion of peace.

by ND22 2010-03-25 03:43PM | 0 recs
That's the Republican Way!

Intellectual consistency? Where?

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-25 03:25PM | 0 recs
RE: That's the Republican Way!

You just dont want to admit what you really think...

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 03:26PM | 0 recs
ok I'll admit what I really think

Republicans are selfless, souless fascists who can't accept losing, hate people less fortunate than them, are racists, xenophobic, homophobic and cowardly and try to hide it behind the guise of "fiscal responsbility"

There.

by ND22 2010-03-25 03:38PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

Smiley's claims....never corroborated.  You're propagating lies.

by lojasmo 2010-03-24 06:56PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

So Tavis Smiley is a liar. Somehow I think your on the short end of this stick. I will take Smiley's claims over yours anyday of the wee.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-24 09:00PM | 1 recs
Those Obots had a real history of thuggery and violence

Yeah, there's a real pattern there. One puma's unsubstantiated claims, and...?

Do you mean to tell me there is no pattern to the violence here?

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-24 11:37PM | 0 recs
I think his point

is the Tavis case pales in comparison to what's happening here and you're acting like it's the same thing.

One man received an angry response or two is NOT the same as a dozen Congressman being threatened with their lives.

The fact that you think so is really telling.

by ND22 2010-03-25 01:24PM | 0 recs
I think his point

The fact that you think so is really telling.

by ND22 2010-03-25 01:24PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

Okay, so you are propagating outrageous and unsubstantiated claims as if they are facts.

Comparing rumour to fact is not legitimate.

At the very least, everybody here should know that I don't give a flying fig about the opinion of a conservadem/republican applogist/puma.

Not. one. whit.

by lojasmo 2010-03-25 07:28PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

By the way are you saying its fact that Clyburn and Lewis were subject to racial remarks? Interesting that there is video available of their walk that day and there is nothing seen or heard on video to give any indication that any such remarks were made towards either. Its also Clyburn remember who played the race card during the primaries in attempting to portray Hillary Clinton as a rasicst by proxy of Bill Clinton supposedly making racial remarks. Fact is, Clyburn is as much a fabricator as is Biden. Point is, I dont believe any such remarks were made.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-27 11:14PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

Well, calling Lewis a liar fits right in with the conservative mindset - in their mind the whole civil rights movement was a lie anyway, blacks, sorry negroes, were perfectly happy before the carpet-bangers showed up. Right?

Btw, your confusing Clyburn with Cleaver. When you try and spout rubbish, atleast take a minute to double check. I know all the darkies look the same... and btw, Cleaver endorsed Hillary during the campaign.

by vecky 2010-03-31 03:49AM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

You dont have a clue...yeah call me racist. I have been working with minority charitable organizations for the last 11 years. Typical liberal, call me a racist at the drop of a hate. Fact is, if your not as liberal, than in yor eyes your not a democrat. No such thing as a conservative democrat in your world. When this health bill for example ends up costing way more than they said, when it actually costs people more money, than you will just blame corporate america somehow. Rather than accept that this bill was 2400 pages of giveaways and smoek and mirrors accounting. Sad, that most who voted for the bill, havent a clue whats in it....

Ya want healthcare, how bout this. Simply as Allan Grayson suggested allow anyone to "buy" in. Not give it away. Let them buy in at rates set by the government. To help those who cant afford and to offset costs, institute a 1% national sales tax. Fact is just about everyone could afford that small tax. Further it doesnt force the government to come up with more money by shifting pockets and using smoke and mirrors. Why wont it happen? Becuase both sides are entrenched in special interests and dont want to give up the bribe money thats lining their pockets.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-31 12:26PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

I know there are conservative democrats - I know enough about the history of the Democratic Party, from George Wallace to JFK to know the difference between liberals and democrats.

You seem to be advocating the Euro system - health care prices set by the government and funded by a national sales tax (VAT). Maybe in the future, as said this bill is a first step. Once the exchanges are set-up and working it'll be a lot easier and far less disruptive to folks current insurance arrangements to move to a national plan like you desire.

Though I have no doubt when that time comes you'll be back to spouting RW talking points against it.

by vecky 2010-03-31 12:43PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

I am simply advocating that anyone be able to buy into Medicaid with rates set by the Government. Funding to support coems from a 1% sales tax not the high VAT taxes they see in Europe. Private insurers still are in business and consumers can choose to purchase from either. With anyoen being able to buy int Medicare, that will go a long way towards cost all around. Of course unless we take real meaningful steps to resolve shortages of primary care physicians and nurses, its going to be a mess......

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-31 01:56PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

That's exactly like the european model. They have private insurance their too. Many people have basic insurance though the government and purchase supplemental policies via their employer or personally.

We'll get to that model eventually - but in baby steps. Health Care is 1/6th of the economy, one dosn't want to make too jarring a change all at once.

by vecky 2010-03-31 03:28PM | 0 recs
The web award for most obtuse comment of the day.

Travis Smiley was a PUMA and his claims were never substantiated. It was one isolated incident. This is an entire pattern of violence and intimidation.

And yes, it is just a problem with right wing violence. And as a Republican, you should be concerned and ashamed.

After the attacks of September 11, the most deadly terrorist attack on our soil has been the result of right-wing terrorism.

Someone is going to lose their life here, and you couldn't be any less concerned simply because you don't like their politics.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-24 08:59PM | 0 recs
RE: The web award for most obtuse comment of the day.

Firstly I am not a republican. Secondly, the violence that the left engaged in during the 1960's wasnt any better. Finally hwo are a few reported incidence a pattern of violence and intimidation. The problem is that thsoe of you on the far left are so blinded by your own political views that you see only one side of everything. Its why most americans dont identify with the liberal left and why this country still is a center right country.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-24 10:14PM | 1 recs
Seriously? 1987?

Tawana Brawley is your most recent reference of left-wing thuggery? I remember reading on The Confluence that during the campaign, a girl had a 'B' carved in her chest by knife-wielding o-bots. You could have at least used that one. Oh, wait...

Hey, I'm not the one running around screaming to kill the bill if it's not single payer. I'm not running around demanding energy reform but opposed to nuclear power. I'm telling the firebaggers the same thing, that America is not as far left as they think. And I think I understand the right pretty well.

But you say that America is a center-right country as if that is an excuse.

Do you think this bill is too far to the left?

If so, would that justify violence?

Do you think there is no pattern to this violence (in this century)?

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-25 12:18AM | 0 recs
Sure it justifies it

A black girl once orchestrated a hoax that made the lives of a couple of white men a living hell...so now Democrats should just sit back and accept their lives being in danger because of Tawana Brawley in 1987!

You see how it works!

by ND22 2010-03-25 01:27PM | 0 recs
RE: The web award for most obtuse comment of the day.

"center right"

Um...not at all.  At least not by any objective criteria.  You are now repeating talking point used by ollie north, Glen Beck, Shaun Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh.

Not that you ever had credibility, but you might just want to cool it, because the "center right" meme is for fools.

by lojasmo 2010-03-25 07:33PM | 0 recs
RE: put it in perspective

I have been away for awhile as work has kept me VERY busy, but I have to ask... how is this guy still here?

by JDF 2010-03-24 10:02PM | 0 recs
I'm shocked, SHOCKED

buckeye is playing down people who are threatening to kill family members of congressman across the country. SHOCKED!

by ND22 2010-03-25 01:21PM | 0 recs
RE: I'm shocked, SHOCKED

Well nwo that Eric Cantor reportedly had a bullet fired through his campaign HQ window and has also received death threats. Shoudl we assume its the crazy right wing tea partiers as well? Yeah cuz that makes sense....And for the record I didnt downplay the seriousness of the threats just that the implication that those on the far left dont engage in such behavior is just ignorant.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 01:31PM | 0 recs
The far left doesn't engage in this kind of behavior

not even close to the level the right wing has been doing it. You keep going back to Tawana Brawley...who did she threaten to kill? Who did Al Sharpton threaten to kill?

Let's recap:

-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona windows broken at district office

-Rep. Louise Slaughter of New York had her office windows broken and had her children's lives threatened

-New York and Kansas counties Democratic headquarters windows broken

-An Alabama blogger said "And if we do a proper job, if we break the windows of hundreds, thousands, of Democrat party headquarters across this country, we might just wake up enough of them to make defending ourselves at the muzzle of a rifle unnecessary."

-A man carries a sign in Washington that says "If Brown can't stop it, a Browning will"

-Steve Driehaus, Besty Markey and Bart Stupak get life threatening calls

-Anthony Weiner gets life threatening and anti-semetic calls

-John Lewis is called a n*gg*r

-Barney Frank is called a f*gg*t

-Emanuel Cleaver is spit on

-Tom Periello's brother's home had the gas line cut, after his brother's address is listed on a tea party website

and you point to Tawana Brawley as being the same thing? You throw out some obscure gunshot at a political consultant's office (not his campaign office according to the AP) in a dangerous part of Downtown Richmond as an example of there being extremism on both sides? Of course these extermism on both sides, but the liberal side doesn't appear to be threatening people's lives. We tend to disown our crazies, not rationalize them like you people.

Give me a call when some liberal threatens the life of a Republican congressman or his/her children and I'll be happy to condemn them, until then, don't pretend its anywhere near the same thing.

by ND22 2010-03-25 02:35PM | 0 recs
RE: The far left doesn't engage in this kind of behavior

You disown the crazies? Really? Like Bill Ayers?

Here you go, condemn away.

Republican Congresswoman Jean Schmidt is receiving threatening calls over her health care position. Republicans John Boehner and Mitch McConnell were also mentioned in the message.
The Hill reported:

U.S. Capitol Police are investigating a threatening voicemail left in the office of Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-Ohio), her chief of staff said Thursday.

Schmidt’s office was left a voicemail late Wednesday night in what appears to be the first instance of a Republican lawmaker being targeted for their healthcare vote.

The voicemail features a caller who talks of wishing the congresswoman had broken her back in a 2008, according to a recording send to the media by Schmidt’s chief of staff, Barry Bennett.

The voicemail makes reference to Schmidt, as well as Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House GOP Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), calling them and the Republican Party racist.

by tpeichel 2010-03-25 11:37PM | 0 recs
Here's another

For Eddie Adams Jr. it is Now More Than Personal

Florida Congressional candidate Eddie Adams Jr. (R) was admitted to Tampa General Hospital Sunday suffering from severe burns on the hands and arms. He will be undergoing additional skin grafts Tuesday.

A vandal tied a mattress to the underside of Mr. Adams pick-up truck. Friction with the road, and contact with the catalytic converter combined to ignite the bedding. As he drove down Busch Boulevard in Tampa, Florida, onlookers began to wave and shout at him. At first, Eddie assumed that his tireless campaigning was beginning to show results, until, when stopped at the next red light, he began to smell smoke, and he realized with a shock that his truck was on fire. When he opened the door, the flames engulfed the cabin, burning Eddie's arms. He tucked and rolled on the ground to put out his flaming clothes. Additional injuries were suffered as he tried to pull the mattress, which he found was deliberately tied to the frame, from the underside of the truck. Good Samaritans rushed to his assistance with fire extinguishers, but the truck was heavily damaged. Undeterred, Eddie will continue his campaigning as much as his recovery will permit.

At this point in the campaign, office workers with the Hillsborough County Sheriff have tallied 90 reports of vandalism against cars with Republican campaign bumper stickers, and 7 such incidents against cars with Democrat bumper stickers. Other incidents include the systematic and widespread vandalism or theft of Republican campaign signs. Eddie is running against Democrat Kathy Castor.

by tpeichel 2010-03-25 11:48PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

I researched this and found only the article you referenced and one reference to the same article by Ace-of Spades' right wing website. Can you give me some other reference to this ever happening and who the resulting investigation determined was responsible? I can't find anything on this, and certainly nothing to support your implication that this was a Democratic assassination attempt.

by QTG 2010-03-26 07:07AM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

Fair enough, it is strange that there is only the one report. Either it's bogus or the story was ignored. I contacted the candidate to get his take and I'll post what I find.

The point I wanted to make is that Liberal are not immune to the extreme elements on their side from taking violent actions, as the poster was suggesting.

by tpeichel 2010-03-26 10:46AM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

The point you wanted to make was obvious, the lengths to which you went - not surprising. Believe, if you like, that there is nothing special about the Republican Party's embrace of threats and actual violence, Republican Governors' discussion of secession, or Republican Senators and Congressman shouting "You Lie" and "Baby Killer" in the halls of Congress.

You're free to believe whatever you want.

But I'll be particularly careful to check whatever 'facts' you present, now that I know how little effort you make before presenting them.

by QTG 2010-03-26 11:21AM | 0 recs

Is this one better?

Leftist Issues Death Threats to Palin and Family on TwitterFiled under: General — Patterico @ 11:12 pm

There is justifiably some concern relating to the Tea Party, Sarah Palin, and violent threats. It’s just not quite what you’ve been hearing in Big Media.

On Twitter, a fellow calling himself Jason Brown has been posting since May 10, 2009, and has a total of 379 messages posted so far. He is a fan of Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow. Typical of his leftist political beliefs are messages like this:

@maddow doesnt Cheney seem like this weird dark evil prince hmm say like Mr. Burns and i guess ol’ George was Smithers

and this:

goin 2 watch keith olbermann and laugh at the latest heartless basterds of the world

and this:

@carloswatson why does G.O.P. leaders endorse racism,hatred,fearmongering,and falsehoods dont they know the world is witnessing this tactic

and this:

their no racist people in the dem.party they all come from the south and they are republican which is why we still see promotion of hatred

In recent days, Brown has been saying that he is concerned about the violence that he believes Sarah Palin is fostering.

So, he is threatening to kill Sarah Palin and her family.

I had hoped to post about 20 screenshots from this guy’s Twitter account, but with the technical work being done on the site I find myself suddenly unable to upload images. So I will just quote you the messages. He posted most of them tonight, and they include messages like this:

@sEaTtLe_MeTrO Death 2 Palin family them retarded hillbillies take teabaggers w/ you hateful bitch

and this:

We cant expect gov to intervene we must shoot Gen. Palin on site be 4 her troops strike again!

and this:

@interactionswst one word racism choose sides plain and simply that bitch Palin launch an attack, she need 2 b shot on site!

and this:

@Palin360 you need 2 b assassinated soon we ll settle 4 one of the family if not u!

and this:

maybe it takes a murder or 2 2 get the point across take aim at radical TP members

and this:

@BRIANGLAD Palin will b met with gunfire her or her family

and this:

@SarahStormRpt u need 2 be shot on site startin that racist Tp shit, all you all do is promo violence dont cry when some kill u basterds

and this:

IS Sarah Palin still alive, please feel free 2 domecheck that bitch! she will look good in tha box the TP left on someones lawn

and this:

Yeah shorty i know soon as a bitch get killed bout a lie then ppl gone realize how stupid n lack info can get u hurt TP fuckin wit fire

and this:

@Southfive her map w crosshair need to b put on her family she that bitch can die or a TP supporter

and this:

Does Palin really want what she ask 4? we ll see after death strikes i guess no pose 2 see her rhetoric,it can b dangerous. but who cares!

and this:

i got 2 go see how many more targets Gen. Palin got mapped out that bitch gone get or someone i hope its GOP one of them racist fuckers

and this:

THe street gangs of america can take on the teabaggers and Palin. TP is callin 4 war just shoot any TP associates and family MS13 BITCHES!

and this:

I cant wait till someone serious hurt that bitch Palin or one of her children soon she out of control!

and this:

@Oplis the ppl of color have been wait n 4 no one can agree on history so suggest the Palin plan let roll!ms13 will take care of that bitch

and this:

Palin came 2 lower 48 2 start a civil divide this could b the moment of truth 4 americans 2 put her down

and this:

i encourage ppl 2 meet the TP wit the same acts of violence Palin instructs them 2 do we need 2 harass them 2 their racist graves

and this:

#hcr proof that Palin targeted Va. rep. w/ her map and someone followed up we have 2 stop this terrorist name Sarah someone please kill her!

Damn violent teabaggers!

For some reason this one seems particularly ominous:

Does anyone have that alaskan address 4 the Palins?

by tpeichel 2010-03-26 01:20PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

tp, you obviously are immune to the obvious...

Google "Leftist Issues Death Threats to Palin and Family on Twitter" and examine the results...

You can't seem to understand the very thing you should be an expert at. Namely, that just as in blogging, Tweeters are fully capable of anonymously assuming any persona they choose, and then tweet away. There is a special name for those who pretend to be someone or something they aren't just to post and disrupt or discredit the blog that they target: those assholes are called "trolls" when they do their stuff on blogsites, perhaps they are called "shits" on twitter, I don't know.

When they arrest the twitterer that has you all upset, please let me know.

by QTG 2010-03-26 05:21PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

Here's more examples from today from the NH Democratic rep who made the racist comment about nuking Japan a third time and listed hunting neo-conservative Reaganites as a firearms hobby.

Oh, and I'm sure that Alan Grayson wasn't serious when he said that Republicans wanted people to “die quickly”, likened American health care to the Holocaust, suggested Republicans could win “a Nobel Prize for fear, a Nobel Prize for hatred, a Nobel Prize for racism and called a female lobbyist a “K Street whore.”

Once again, the only point I wanted to make was to refute the commenters post where they stated that Liberals do not engage in this type of behavior. It is a blatant falsehood.

by tpeichel 2010-03-26 07:06PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

Alan Grayson was completely serious. What is the GOP health care plan other than to not get sick or die quickly?

And while there are crazy kooks on the left, they are just that - recognized crazy kooks. On the conservative right - they are mainstream. As I pointed out:>

Over at Redstate.com, the following was posted as a Recommened Diary entitled:

Maxine's Health Care Solution

... Our plan gives anyone 65 years or older a gun and 4 bullets.

You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives.

Say what you will about the left - but even on sites like the Daily Kos (a MUCH bigger site than RedState) you'll never find diaries like that even at the height of the Iraq Invasion, much less on the Rec list. Hell, I doubt you'll find anything similar even at the DU.

by vecky 2010-03-26 08:06PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

Your getting your info "Over at Redstate.com", which is your problem, as many here have long suspected. There is no truth there.

And Grayson was right. Republicans value their money, unborn life (if it doesn't cost them money), and guns and ammo, and their distorted concept of god, and will (send other peoples' children to) kill anyone who worships a different concept of god.

by QTG 2010-03-26 08:15PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

How about some more examples of actual violence?

The 2008 RNC in Minneapolis had several violent incidents including bricks being thrown through bus windows which sent people to the hospital and sand bags being dropped on cars from overpasses.

Once again, I am just pointing out that violence, intimidation, and threats from the left is no different than what you see on the right.

by tpeichel 2010-03-27 11:21PM | 0 recs

i remember it well

amy goodman, badass

by QTG 2010-03-28 09:00AM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

Your point? Are you attempting to justify the violence? Does that make it okay to throw bricks at delegates in a bus?

by tpeichel 2010-03-28 03:08PM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

what any casual observer knows is that your assertion is bullshit:

"I am just pointing out that violence, intimidation, and threats from the left is no different than what you see on the right."

by QTG 2010-03-29 07:25AM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

You're right, casual observers probably wouldn't be aware of much of the left wing violence because it is downplayed in the MSM.

Just because it isn't reported, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Feel free to provide actual evidence that my assertion is incorrect.

by tpeichel 2010-03-29 09:39AM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

Like what, you want me to bring up Oklahoma City? Or George Tiller?

The protests at the RNC were largely peaceful. Hell a WTO or G8 summit has more incidents. The Anarchist movement which was responsible for the few violent acts is in no way affiliated with the Democratic party or even mainstream liberalism.  As I said, the left has it's kooks - but they are regarded kooks. The Right embraces it's violent kooks as heroes and in the highest of insults to the country, calls them patriots.

by vecky 2010-03-31 04:08AM | 0 recs
RE: Fact check???

I never claimed that wackos didn't exist on both sides, I was refuting the statement that the wackos on the left weren't as bad and simply provided examples.

I'm not sure who you are referring to when you talk about kooks embraced as heroes on the right?

by tpeichel 2010-04-03 10:42AM | 0 recs
RE: I'm shocked, SHOCKED

Police found that the bullet had been fired INTO THE AIR, and entered the (abandoned) office at a trajectory that put it on the floor just inches from the window, not even breaking through the shade.

You should really pause before you post.

by lojasmo 2010-03-25 07:35PM | 0 recs
RE: Dangerous Times

Trey, this is where you're supposed to claim it's just a "failed Hollywood entertainer."

by Nathan Empsall 2010-03-24 04:21PM | 0 recs
...

I hope the Dems have the balls to for this as an issue on the GOP.   Demand they denounce the tea party movements tactics of threats and extortion.   Get the GOP to either side with the TEABAGS or to Denounce them and piss them off enough to run an third party candidate.

by FUJA 2010-03-24 04:28PM | 1 recs
This goes a long way

toward explaining those bizarre content-free Tea Party (TM) promotional events sponsored by all the major teevee newsertainment outlets.

You can just picture it, a high-pitched French accent on the other end of a black phone saying "Any follow-up questions and we cut your propane lines, is that understood?".

Twenty-four hours later, there's a middle-aged guy from Tennessee on the teevee saying things like "This has been the most radical administration in American history and if we don't stop it now, I'm telling you, there are going to be more Kenyans in the U.S. federal government than there are in the Kenyan government."

Larry King - "Fascinating.  A fascinating bubbling up of discontent among average everyday voters at disgust in Washington.  People who have never voted before!  People who describe themselves as Independents!  And several hundred of them will be gathering in Arkansas to listen to Sarah Palin give her thoughts on the socioeconomic implications of this entirely spontaneous movement!"

Several hours later, the high-pitched voice on the black phone again "Excellent!  We will be granting you one more interview.  The same rules apply as before.  Except this time, you must wear women's underwear during the interview."

Larry King - "But no one can even see...."

The voice - "Just do it!!" Click.

by the mollusk 2010-03-24 04:35PM | 0 recs
TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

The Tea Party is morphing into a loosely knit, heavily armed  terrorist organization.

Tea Partiers HATE the Government of the United States of America every bit as much as Al Qaeda does. Tea Partiers also seem to hate large swaths of the American people.

For months they have been thuggishly brandishing arms outside townhall meetings, Democratic rallies and Congress, seeking to intimidate and silence those who dare to disagree with them. Highly undemocratic, they have NO respect for election results or the opinions of others.

Embittered and no doubt stunned in the wake of their epic defeat on health care reform, Tea Party Terrorists are now vandalizing property and threatening Representatives and their children with violence and death.

Arrogant, armed to the teeth, raging mad, utterly divorced from reality, and funded by immoral, powerful, reactionary forces, expect this thing to get a lot uglier before it gets better.

by liberalart76 2010-03-24 07:36PM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

Anyone who really believes this needs to attend a rally.

by tpeichel 2010-03-25 11:16PM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

That's actually a good suggestion. We should be easily able to overwhelm the numbers, and if we bring mocking signage we could humiliate these scum, even though they wouldn't understand what was happening to them.

by QTG 2010-03-26 07:10AM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

Look, these "scum" are Americans just like you and me. Are you really surprised they are angry? One of the big reasons they voted for President Obama was to change the corruption in Washington and it hasn't happened, it is just business as usual.

So now you have a Congress with a barely double digit approval rating that the country does not trust and they pass a law that the people didn't want. Is it really so hard to understand why people did not want to give a corrupt central government more power, money, and control?

by tpeichel 2010-03-26 10:59AM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

They might be like you, I'll take your word for that. But they aren't like me, and you don't know me - so don't make rash and erroneous assumptions about me. As for the rest, the Congress has polled badly for a long time and it proves nothing.

by QTG 2010-03-26 11:32AM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

If you don't understand that a corrupt government was the impetus for many Americans to get involved with the Tea Party, then you don't understand the movement.

by tpeichel 2010-03-26 12:57PM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

The government was corrupt all through the Bush years.  It took a black man as POTUS to invigorate the teabaggers.  Militias are up 300% over the last year.  It isn't corrupt government that is spurring this bullshit.  It is frank racism and stupidity.

by lojasmo 2010-03-26 08:40PM | 1 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

Would you be referring to all the racists who voted him into office?

You are right that there was corruption in the government before President Obama took office, but the results of that corruption are happening now. And instead of taking on the corruption and putting people in jail, the President has spent most of his time pushing through a healthcare package that appears to have followed the same corrupt process as in the past and hiring the people that were directly involved in the corruption like Geithner.

The final straw for the country was the stock market crash and the bailout of the banks. President Obama promised to change Washington and he hasn't. That is when the movement took off.

Prior to that, people didn't care because there way of life wasn't threatened. Now many don't have jobs, there retirement is half what it once was, and they are losing their homes.

Blaming race is laughable. The Democrats play the race card so often that now it is mostly ignored, just like the little boy who cried wolf.

by tpeichel 2010-03-27 07:00PM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

You can blame your favored republican party and the conservative movement for that fiasco. Why you're taking it out on Obama who is trying to fix the mess left behind by your failed ideology is beyond me.

But then you guys reacted much the same way to Clinton.

Prior to that, people didn't care because there way of life wasn't threatened.

Anyone could see the writing on the wall. What was it that tipped you off - the invasion of Iraq? the tax cuts? the cheney energy policy? the outing of CIA agents? the use of torture? the illegal wiretaps?

And your upset now becasue let's see - tax cuts for the middle class, spending on infrastructure and aid to states during a major depression (Stimulus), a Health care reform fully paid for coupled with more student loans?

by vecky 2010-03-31 04:20AM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

I do blame the Republican government for the financial mess we are in, but I also criticize President Obama for trying to fix the problems doing the same things with the same people.

You don't solve a debt problem by taking on more debt. If you had $25,000 in credit card debt would it be fixed by running up three more credit cards at $25,000 each?

Tax cuts for the middle class? The small cuts will easily be offset by the coming tax increases because of the massive debt and increases to healthcare premiums because of the new mandates.

Aid to states? It allowed them to put off making some hard choices on their spending/revenue inbalance, but now they will have to address it and the country is that much more in debt. It did nothing for long-term growth.

Health Care reform fully paid for? Let's not kid ourselves. Beside depending on everyone buying health insurance, which is dubious at best, the track record for estimating the cost of government programs is always low.

The student loans are a good thing, as long as the colleges don't jack up tuition because more money is available to students.

by tpeichel 2010-04-03 11:07AM | 0 recs
RE: TEA PARTY TERRORISTS

The "debt problem" was replaced by a bigger problem known as the largest recession since the 1930's. The private sector had failed, massively, where was the money going to come from - the only financial institution with enough market trust left was the Government. Fact. Spending temporarily to prevent the country going off a cliff was completely necessary and appropriate. In fact more needed to be done, instead of the absolute minimum which is what we got.

The tax cuts were real - filing day in a few weeks, you'll see it there. Deal with it.

The states needed emergency aid - you may have noticed that while the private sector is currently adding jobs the public sector is contracting and shedding jobs. That's solely because of the states finances being hugely affected by the downturn in the economy, not because of their inability to make 'hard choices'. Indeed the easiest choice would be to fire everybody and give up, which is what you would probably advocate.

On HCR if the cost estimate is low, the revenue estimate is also likely to be low. It cuts both ways. Besides there is a revenue stream - that's the whole point of it being paid for.

I have a hard time taking you seriously because you don't seem to have any coherent arguments. Where were you when the Bush tax cuts happened, the Iraq War, the Medicare part-D? You sure your current objections about the deficit are not just because the guy in office has a (D) after his name?

by vecky 2010-04-03 02:56PM | 0 recs
Quite simple really

Take the tea-baggers' rhetoric and hang it around a 1000 pound weight around the Republicans' necks. Anytime any of these Repub congressmen or senators condone or speak at tea-bagger events or appear on shows hosted by tea-bagger sympathizers like Hannity or Beck, make them own it. Republicans have always played fast and loose with irresponsible inflammatory and bigoted rhetoric, including their annointed saint Reagan, and always found a way to weasel out. No more. Make them own the tea-baggers.

by tarheel74 2010-03-24 09:54PM | 0 recs
Since you did it to me

11 minutes you can't get back

Weird Al is weird, but it's an act.

by QTG 2010-03-24 10:10PM | 0 recs
More on the false equivalency

Over at Redstate.com, the following was posted as a Recommened Diary entitled:

Maxine's Health Care Solution

... Our plan gives anyone 65 years or older a gun and 4 bullets.

You are allowed to shoot 2 senators and 2 representatives.

by vecky 2010-03-26 03:22PM | 0 recs
RE: More on the false equivalency

Dunno about DU.  That place is a cesspool.  Sure was fun watching the hillarites' heads assplode at the end of the primaries, though.  15% of teabaggers are PUMAs.

by lojasmo 2010-03-26 08:42PM | 0 recs
Cantor recants (sort of)

The congressman "was very happy to find out that police attributed this particular incident to random gunfire," Murray said. Now "we need to move on."

Cantor said Thursday that he had been "directly threatened." Hours later, however, the Richmond Police Department provided a statement noting that a preliminary investigation concluded "that a bullet was fired into the air and struck the window in a downward direction, landing on the floor about a foot from the window. The round struck with enough force to break the windowpanebut did not penetrate the window blinds."

by QTG 2010-03-27 04:54AM | 0 recs
RE: Cantor recants (sort of)

Why do "we need to move on." Random gunfire is also pretty dangerous - that bullet could have actually hit someone. Where is the NRA and all their talk of "respnsible gun ownership"? This is the United States, not Iraq or Somalia.

by vecky 2010-03-31 04:24AM | 0 recs
RE: Cantor recants (sort of)

Remember, Truth has a distinctly Liberal bias. That's why you must  be careful how you speak it - their are those among us who are convinced that our goal is to gather up their guns, take away their money, ship them to FEMA camps and then have gay interracial sex in their churches. I'm serious.They believe that.

by QTG 2010-03-31 07:48AM | 0 recs
RE: Cantor recants (sort of)

Shhhhhhh! We need to keep denying it, but that actually is our plan. What did you not get the email?

by vecky 2010-03-31 12:08PM | 0 recs
Black years

The government corrupted by misleading persons are the black years of Americans. Soon we should recover from this corrupted economy. skull ring

by skullring 2010-03-30 03:33AM | 0 recs