Why Am I Not Surprised?

Remember during the primaries when the Clinton campaign tried to make then-Senator Obama look bad for having written a paper explaining why he wanted to be President when he was five?

Well if you thought that was bad, Glenn "Slaves were just immigrants" Beck says the President's Kenyan first name is "proof" that he is un-American. Because apparently our identity is rooted in our diapers. A little too Freudian for me, but hey, you can't argue with a guy who gets good ratings, right?

"He chose to use his name for a reason, to identify, not with America - you don't take the name Barack to identify with America." Why did Obama choose to use his name? Rachel Maddow takes a wild guess on Facebook: "Uh, because his parents gave it to him?"

To be fair, Beck may be referring to the fact that the President used to go by the name "Barry" and stopped because... why, well else would he stop? Because he hates America. You know, I used to go by the shortened version of my first name too, "Nate," but then I stopped. Why? Because I hate America. No, not really. Because I hated that name with a burning passion, but then my grandfather who loved it died and my friends grew too old for the "Nate the Great" kids' books. I was finally free to go long-form. Does that make me un-American, too?

Our Constitutional and racial obligations to use only nicknames aside, though, I'm actually inclined to agree with Beck. While I casually chuck aside "Nate," there is a reason I took the name Nathan... yes, I remember the conversation my parents and I had about why I wanted that name very well... you know, the one we had when I was THREE DAYS OLD.

According to Glenn Beck, people whose parents gave them white European names can use them, but people whose parents gave them black African names must be held to a different standard lest they hate America like the "radicals" they are. Why am I not surprised?

Tags: Glenn Beck, Fox News, Barack Obama, racism, snark (all tags)

Comments

They can't help themselves

People like Glenn Beck are intrincialy racist, they just don't know it or won't admit it. To them any non anglo-saxon name is "un-american" becasue they identify their America as being a white nation. Everyone else is just visiting and needs to "assimilate". Like the borg collective.

by vecky 2010-02-04 06:19PM | 1 recs
I was going to respond to this

but I have to call my friend Baruch and tell him off for his un-American ways.

by Steve M 2010-02-04 06:32PM | 0 recs
Funny and sad at the same time

Sad because Far far too many Americans believe that we were founded on reasons of religious freedom...that America revolted to be able to practice religion as they saw fit.  You should see the look of dumbfoundedness (word?) when I remind them that the Boston Tea Party was about taxes WITHOUT representation, that Ben Franklin went to England a devout Englishman and returned a burning American because they would NOT allow for representation for the Colonies, and that Washington was offered the choice of being King and he declined.  Among many other gems.  Sad.

Funny because after only 1 year, the critics are now stirring up the crazy pot with this stuff?  They are fast discrediting themselves to the "nonbelievers" and will become a albatross around the conservative movement's neck as they keep trumpeting crazier and crazier stuff.  They are jumping the shark WAY too early.

by Hammer1001 2010-02-04 07:00PM | 0 recs
A thought experiment

Alternatively, if Obama DID use "Barry", Beck and the frothers would be screaming that he's justifiably ashamed of his heritage and trying to hide his foriegnness from the American people.

by tentakles 2010-02-04 07:17PM | 1 recs
Remember when

the Obama campaign was trumping up little Barry's every detail of his childhood to proclaim him the next coming of Jesus? Granny by Lake Victoria, interview with his Jakarta kindergarten teacher, etc., etc. Of course we can now see how little his supposed "multicultural awareness" given from 4 years in Indonesia informs his actions as President.

So why exactly did you use Hillary's pushback on this nonsense two years ago as a lead-in to Beckian racism? Shame on you.

by Desider 2010-02-05 03:05AM | 0 recs
RE: Remember when

No, no shame. First there was an attack for something he did when he was five, now it's for when he was zero. And the former was fresh in my mind because I just finished Plouffe's book and he discussed it.

No shame, just similar ridiculousness.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-02-05 01:02PM | 0 recs
CDS... you still have a case of it I see

The Clinton campaign was making a well deserved joke About Obama's lack of experience.  It was a joke and this quote has nothing to do with the rest of your post.  I can only conclude you still hold membership in the he-man Hillary haters club.

by TeresaINPennsylvania 2010-02-05 12:29PM | 0 recs
RE: CDS... you still have a case of it I see

ooops, and I forgot to add, the joke about Obama was in response to the nonsense that she had been planning to be president for 40 years (or whatever) and felt entitled to the job.

by TeresaINPennsylvania 2010-02-05 12:31PM | 0 recs
RE: CDS... you still have a case of it I see

The Clinton campaign was trying to prove he'd been running for President for a long time, to fit in with the meme that he'd spent no time as a Senator and all his time as a candidate. I have nothing but respect for HRC, but her staffers had no clue what they were doing.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-02-05 01:04PM | 0 recs