A Very Pretty Face In the Crowd

In 2008 the liberal media establishment became unmoored from any pretense of journalistic integrity and destroyed—a flawed and sometimes loathsome—Hillary Rodham Clinton in the service of Barack Obama’s candidacy. This experience considerably warmed me to Sarah Palin later in the campaign.

But to be sure, I never considered voting for her and John McCain. It’s important for contrarian liberals, PUMA-types, or whatever our designation is, to remember what Gov. Palin ultimately represents. Like President Obama, her personal dynamism cult of personality is a clever cloak for a disastrous set of policies: In her case corporate Republicanism or honest-to-God Tea Party libertarianism. It’s not immediately clear which Sarahcuda would show up to take the oath at noon on January 20, 2013.

I don’t hate or despise the woman (nor do I hate Barry), but if you disregard the personal invective here, it’s hard to argue with the Godlike Oliver Stone:

(h/t: OneNationMatch)

Tags: Sarah Palin, Barack Obama, Oliver Stone, 2012 election (all tags)

Comments

Fool you once shame you

I often wondered what kind of person could not see Palin for what she was instantly. How could anyone who considers themselves a liberal be enamored even for a millisecond by a vacous clown like Palin? Does Clinton's Gender and loss to Obama affect your judgement to such a degree you can actually put these thoughts down in a Front page dairy for discussion? WOW!

by Ed beckmann 2010-10-06 08:36AM | 1 recs
Disgusting.

This is what passes for front page content here now?

by Socks The Cat 2010-10-06 11:03AM | 2 recs
RE: Disgusting.

I've said it before and it bears repeating now.  Worst front page poster EVER at this site, and that includes Stoller!

by Vox Populi 2010-10-07 12:48AM | 0 recs
if you can't tell the difference

huh?  Maybe you missed it, but your heart throb Hillary is the Secretary of State of the Obama administration you clearly loathe.  It would be nice if you actually respected her enough to actually follow her lead.

I'm reminded of the scar-faced divisional General Paul Mireau in Paths of Glory who was so frustrated with his troops failure to assault the Ant Hill that he orders his cannons to fire on his own troops.  Enough with the "friendly fire" already.  If you can't tell the difference in the values between a president who appoints Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court and another who appointed Samuel Alito, you should be kicked to the curb of intelligent discourse.

If the worst thing Obama is, is a "Corporatist," and I don't necessarily think he is, it's a far cry from the fascists tea party republicans that appear to be ascendant.  Stop shooting at the non-contrarians that aren't moving as fast as you want.  Start shooting at the fascists that are holding us all back.

by ebb 2010-10-06 11:16AM | 2 recs
RE: if you can't tell the difference

This is a very nice response. I'm sorry missed it; I was distracted by all the other hysteria.

Firstly, there's no good reason for me to blindly follow Hillary Clinton either. Unlike the particular kind of Obama supporters (most of them) I loathe, I have always been willing to acknowledge the limits of the Clintons. In fact I just owned up to how "flawed" and indeed "loathsome" she can be. I believe Hillary made a political calculation in joining Barack Obama and I spoke to that once before.

As far as not being able to differentiate between a president who'd appoint a Sonia Sotomayor (I have profound issues with her btw) and that detestable character, Sam Alito, I don't require lectures on the point. I've gone over the hill, over the mountain, and every, everywhere trying to express my belief that the abject failure of President Obama should not automatically mean the rehabilitation of President Bush. He's still a lot worse but I can certainly understand why people who are not political junkies--i.e. most voters; like folk in Ohio--can arrive at such a confused conclusion. These are confusing political times.

I'm glad you're willing to acknowledge Obama's corporatism. But you have to understand how dire this situation is for me and others like me. We're in an economic depression and the Democratic Party has nothing to show for it except shrill ads about how extreme the opposition is. It's not gonna work. And I'm not willing to descend to those depths of partisan madness. Day after day it seems this Democratic Party continually proves its incompetence and how it simply isn't worth it.

by Jack Landsman 2010-10-08 07:05AM | 0 recs
A few comments

Landsman fits in well with someone who still has his or her TV set turned on.   His excuse was that he saw through a facade of lies - when he stated he liked Sarah Palin.

Alot of times the excuse is there to hide the reason. There's almost always alot of reasons for the excuse, but there's usually only one reason behind the excuse.

Obama did a great job. The financial system bailout worked. American government is getting back 90% of the TARP funds they put in thanks to a booming stock market that went completely skyward after March 20th 2009, or so. I remember the date range well because I like to play a certain blue chip which shall remain nameless - and it was in the pits. 47.00 a share. Completely beaten down.  Had a press conference, and I remember hearing the president say something about how he seemed to see the markets hitting a bottom. So I bought in, large. And now its at 75.

We should underscore just how serious the financial system, as opposed to the bullshit "jobs" outlook - was broken.  This was a worldwide, financial meltdown.

And Obama worked so damned hard, he went after a system that is currently burning one out of every six dollars in the US - healthcare - and he went in large. The republicans... you know the people who think that Sarah Palin is cool...? ..... promised up, down and sideways, that they would make Healthcare the President's Waterloo.

But no matter how many corporate dollars were spent, healthcare reform succeeded.

So the conservative supreme court decided against people like you and me, and for big corporations who are now spending everything they have to try to go back, and fix their Waterloo again.

I recommend, we just vote in a Democratic wave so we can go ahead and fix the mess the republicans will make of that, as well.

The TEA party isn't the Republican party, and it's not corporate. It's a visible symbol that the corruption in the republican party is so great, that voting for a Republican house and senate is like voting for a lobbyist controlled government.

The G.O.P. openly stands for one nation, under God, divisible, with lobbyists and injustice for all.

Landsman? Pfft.

by Trey Rentz 2010-10-06 11:58AM | 1 recs
No Palin -- NO WAY

This is disgusting for a liberal blog to have such a contributor.  This blog needs to get back to basics--attacking the GOP on every front. This blog is like Republican Lite or Libertarian......I like these responses slamming Landsmans statements on Palin.  She is really weird and DANGEROUS....she was in Houston yesterday and gave a keynote speech at of all places the First Baptist Church....

The media is already providing us with 99 percent Rightwing and Corporate based information, the Supreme Court has now allowed unlimited access by the GOP and Rightwing Republican corporate points of view to emanate across the country.  Now we have this blog going in that direction.

I'm out of here...not coming back...I'm going to another liberal blog...

by hddun2008 2010-10-06 01:43PM | 1 recs
Jack is a useful idiot for conservatives

...and I suppose, Jerome Armstrong is one for giving him a platform to express his thoughts.

I suppose the point--and value--of Jack's work is not unlike Glenn Beck in that he is trying to get attention.  For that reason, I was a fool to make this post.  But, all the same, it's worth expressing.

by zmus 2010-10-06 03:03PM | 1 recs
RE: A Very Pretty Face in the Crowd

I don't know how else to respond to excitable mental patients except to once again note how unfortunate this extreme tribalist mentality is. tsk-tsk.

by Jack Landsman 2010-10-07 12:15PM | 0 recs