Wind Beneath His Wings

The incompetent hustler Michael Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee, is in the news. I have long assumed the much-maligned chairman wouldn’t seek, much less stand a chance of being elected to, another two-year term  in January. For what it’s worth, he’s been playing it cute. “We'll worry about my re-election after I get through this election.” It’s over. More coffee?

Or so it seemed. It now looks as if Steele’s recent bus tour of 48 states served to bolster his standing with conservative grassroots activists, though it didn’t affect the dynamic of the campaign. In addition, Chairman Steele continues to have the support of Sarah Palin, the conservative movement’s North Star. After Palin quit Alaska in July 2009, Michael Steele joined yours truly, Ann Althouse, and the rest of my peeps, in recognizing the potential of Palin’s liberation, even though he dismissed an immediate campaign for president. He engaged in incredible spin to support her in hostile quarters. Months later, there was speculation as to whether Palin would replace Steele, but it was ridiculous. From jump street Sarahcuda has always wanted to seize the White House, not a sop.

Nowadays Steele is heartily campaigning with Sarah Palin. After she does run for president and takes off, as I expect her to, it is possible Mr. Steele could parlay his goodwill towards the Palins into an unlikely second term. It certainly couldn’t be narrower than his first election.

To be certain, Mr. Steele is wrong concerning just about everything except Afghanistan. Nevertheless he is fascinating. And for the time being it looks as if he won’t get that severance box of chocolates after all.

Tags: Michael Steele, Sarah Palin, Althouse (all tags)

Comments

that's really interesting

So you think Palin has a lot of influence with the RNC members? [I'm genuinely asking, I don't have a clue, and I'm wondering if they're more activists or Establishment, so to speak.]

by John DE 2010-10-27 07:02PM | 0 recs
RE: that's really interesting

Her approval numbers in AK are apparently dismal

by Chuckie Corra 2010-10-28 07:22PM | 0 recs
yo

How did you get that pic to appear?

i used the pic insert icon and got the photo in the body of my diary but when i hit post

the photo wasnt there.

could you help me please?

by changeagain2012 2010-10-28 12:15AM | 0 recs
RE: yo

Sorry it took so long to reply. I wish I had a technical solution, but I don't. You have to play with it a little, as best I can tell. It usually works after moving the cursor around.

by Jack Landsman 2010-10-31 08:15PM | 0 recs
Wait

Why again is Michael Steele "fascinating"?  He's an establishment Republican with little real power or influence and who is prone to embarrass himself publicly within the GOP who has hitched his wagon to Palin.

That doesn't really make me want to read a biography of the guy.

by Strummerson 2010-10-28 02:16AM | 0 recs
RE: Wait

To the extent any of these politicians are "fascinating," Mr. Steele qualifies. He's not as interesting as my two main peeps--Mr. Obama and Mrs. Palin; I certainly wouldn't read a book about him--but I'd like to see how it all ends for him.

by Jack Landsman 2010-10-31 08:21PM | 0 recs
Now come on…

…if you were Michael Steele (yeah, them'd be fighting words for me, too, but bear with me a second), wouldn't you be grinning like a Cheshire cat right about now? I mean, he's the laughing-stock figurehead of his party, but if the midterms go well he can take credit even though the outcome isn't really his doing. Opportunism is something he's pretty well-acquainted with, no?

by tru blu 2010-10-29 12:09PM | 0 recs
Good

I believe having Palin strengthens the grassroots voters of the republican party.  It doesn't really matter how much the two screw up votes because the feeling most Americans are receiving is they can't screw it up enough to change the fact we will have a new party leading the house as well as a change in presidency come 2012.

by jeffrtho 2010-10-29 05:42PM | 0 recs