Santorum "Thinking About It"

It, in this case, is running for President in 2012. In the question & answer session after addressing 12th annual Catholic Leadership Conference in Orlando, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum confessed that he is indeed mulling a presidential run. From Life Site News:

Speaking to a room full of prominent US Catholic leaders Friday night, Senator Rick Santorum was challenged to run for the Republican Presidential nominaion. Responding to a room already thick with applause, Santorum revealed that he was indeed "thinking about it" but asked for prayers and detailed his thinking on the matter.

He said: "Six months ago I would not have spent ten seconds on your question, but it's not six months ago. I see that, I hate to be calculating, but I see that 2012 is not just throwing somebody out to be eaten, but it's a real opportunity for success."

In closing he said that while he was "thinking about it", it is the first time his ambition which is, as he said, "in his DNA" was checked by a resistance saying, "no, I'm not sure."

Rick Santorum will need more than prayers. He'll need the country to forget that he has, in fact, made of multitude of idiotic statements.

A stroll down memory lane brings these gems:

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual (gay) sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything."

"I have no problem with homosexuality. I have a problem with homosexual acts."

"Marriage is not about affirming somebody's love for somebody else. It's about uniting together to be open to children, to further civilization in our society."

"In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing. And when you destroy that you have a dramatic impact on the quality."

If Santorum is asking for prayers then I hope that there is a novena for our collective amnesia for there is no way in hell that Rick Santorum is a viable candidate otherwise.

Tags: GOP, Rick Santorum, US Election 2012 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

I think Sarah Palin proved that you can really stretch the bounds of what can be considered a "viable" candidate... and one thing is certain. Rick Santorum would be a contendor in GOP primaries. The base of that particular party is looking increasingly hateful and angry and he will appeal to that sentiment.

by JDF 2009-09-13 09:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

I'm praying he runs and I'm praying he wins the nomination. Please, God, I don't ask for much...

by riboflavin 2009-09-13 09:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

BWAHHAAHAAAA!!!

Sorry.... even Larry Sabato thinks it's laughable... They guy lost by 18 points in his last Senate election.  Being a loser does not a presidential candidate make.

by LordMike 2009-09-13 09:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

I was about to quote Santorum's er, vote-getting ability in PA as far as his last eleciton was concerned.

by spirowasright 2009-09-13 11:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

I'm a Pennsylvanian.

He was a lousy Senator.  He's probably a lousy lawyer and a lousy lobbyist as well.

This latest trial balloon sounds like he's just shaking the right-wing welfare money tree.

as for 'viability', as low as my esteem is for Rick Santorum in the realm of public service, he undeniably knew how to work the single wedge issue of abortion effectively against older voters and catholic voter in Pennsylvania to gain for himself a +15 year high profile congressional career. He's an order of magnitude more viable than Palin in that sense.

When it comes to Santorum, i'm kind of lucky.  I got to form my opinion of him before i ever knew his name. before i even knew he was a politician.
One day, many many years ago, i ws doing my weekly shopping at the "Gye Neegle" on Greentree Road near Pittsburgh Pa.  As i was coming down the cereal aisle I saw a young couple.  The guy had a box of cereal in his hand and was having what i can only describe as a 'melt down'.  As i drew closer, i was frankly struck by the fact that the man would continue to carry on like that in the presence of a stranger like me. Its not polite to stare, but i couldn't help but give the guy a good look in this case.  He made an impression.   A few weeks later, a few of my coworkers and i are looking out of our 2nd floor office window overlooking the Mt Lebanon Borough Halloween Parade along Washington Road.
Its the month before the election and of course there are a few incumbants and challengers are marching along with the kids in this VERY conservative community (birthplace of Orin Hatch).  I see the guy from the cereal aisle walking in the parade, decked out in an official looking Pittsburgh Pirates uniform. "That's the jerk from the Giant Eagle" i say out loud" and point him out to my coworker.  She says"oh that's Rick Santorum, yeah, he's a jerk".

The next decade and a half with Santorum representing me in U.S. Congress were not pleasant, but at least i had a bit of certainty to cling to.

by cargocult 2009-09-14 03:04AM | 0 recs
Needs more than amnesia

The public is also going to have to forget how to use a web browser.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s ource=hp&q=santorum&aq=f&oq= &aqi=g8g-s1g1

The fact that Rick is even saying that he's thinking about running shows that he is in astounding denial of the fact that he's already been defeated by a sex advice columnist.

by Dracomicron 2009-09-14 05:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

hey i think it would be great if he ran.  He would energize our base the way palin did and also turn off moderates and independents.  How does he play to libertarians?  I would think not well but I don't know anything about his economic stances.

by goodleh 2009-09-14 07:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"

Go Rick! And please God let the Republican primary electorate be that dumb.

by liberalj 2009-09-14 12:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum "Thinking About It"
I hope he runs too. But I hope you folks don't think  that a practicing Catholic's conservative views on Homosexuality is what makes him a bad candidate.
The gay coalition needs to realize that the homosexual views of Boston Catholics named Kennedy are hardly the norm for Catholics in this country. Just remembers what Bob Casey Jr.'s views on abortion are...
He has proved many other bats for us to hit him with in the past, like the ACLU case and his proclaimation that we found WMDs in Iraq...
by xodus1914 2009-09-14 01:13PM | 0 recs