Put Her In, Coach

Could just be rumor, but interesting:

No one's talking about what exactly went on in yesterday's Oval Office meetings with the Clintons, but Administration officials are thinking about how to use the former First Couple on the subject they know so much about: health care.

In the wake of President Clinton's passionate pitch to the "Netroots" convention last week, officials are debating whether to deploy Hillary too. No one may have more credibility than her in convincing Democrats that failure to compromise for the sake of getting something done has real consequences. But will weighing in detract from her current responsibilities as Secretary of State?

I came away from the '08 campaign impressed with how aggressively then-Senator Clinton pushed back on right-wing spin about domestic policy. And while I'm sure no one at the White House would want to stories about the ghost of Hillarycare, we know she has the chops.

This interview Clinton did with Bill-O last year is particularly impressive...she cedes no ground on tax policy:

Tags: Bill Clinton, Health care, Hillary Clinton (all tags)

Comments

Re: Put Her In, Coach

I don't know. I have misgivings about using the nation's top diplomat publicly in what is a domestic policy matter. Still, her (and his) input should be listened to in strategy sessions.

I hold a seance with Harry S. Truman if I thought it would do it any good.

I was buoyed that the President brought up the moral imperative of enacting health care. Long overdue, imho.

by Charles Lemos 2009-08-19 04:45PM | 0 recs
Whoa, Slow Down !!

Putting her in to convince Democrats to compromise...?  Would that be centrists, such as Bayh, or liberals such as such Harkin?  To get Bayh to support the public option or Harkin to abandon support for it?  I fear we know which team the coach would use her for and I, for one, prefer to see her working for the two-state solution; not the health care enrich-insurance-companies-with-47,000,0 00-new-customers solution.

by Arthurkc 2009-08-19 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Put Her In, Coach

Good christ, NO.

by lojasmo 2009-08-19 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Put Her In, Coach

I love it!  The haters still hate.

by Steve M 2009-08-20 04:10AM | 0 recs
Let me get this straight...

The top foreign diplomat would help with the top domestic policy issue? hmmmmm.... maybe the real message here is that Hillary should have been President.

by nikkid 2009-08-19 07:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Let me get this straight...

Or that she did such a GREAT job whipping conservadems in line LAST time a democratic white house tried passing health care reform.

by lojasmo 2009-08-19 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Let me get this straight...

Obama is doing such a fabulous job alienating his own party.

by FilbertSF 2009-08-19 08:18PM | 0 recs
Not nearly as good a job

as Bill and Hillary did in the 90's.

by DTOzone 2009-08-19 08:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Put Her In, Coach

i say all hands on deck. i saw hillary on mtp and she talked healthcare for 2 minutes. gave a mroe impassioned potent 2 min arguement for passing reform than ive heard in sucha  bite. id like ot hear mroe onw hat exactly she would do and how to do it given she is sos. id be thrilled to see her make those anti right wing arguements bc right now it all seems to be comming apart

by art3 2009-08-19 08:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Put Her In, Coach

Take an aspirin and call 911.

by lojasmo 2009-08-19 08:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Put Her In, Coach

Hillary would have been a great advocate, but I don't think the public would take kindly to a SoS running around politicking in a domestic debate when Iran, North Korea, and Afghanistan should be demanding her attention.  Certainly, the Right would be all over it.

On the other hand, Bill was amazing at Netroots and I would love to see him tour around pushing the plan.  Even a couple events side-by-side with Obama would be attention-getting and impressive.

by mikeinsf 2009-08-19 09:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Put Her In, Coach

Put me in the "Oh god, no" column.

1. Hillary has a real job to do that should be kept separate from domestic politicking.

2. Just the rumor of her involvement will immediately set off a firestorm of "Is Obama weak?" and "Clinton Restoration" stories that will utterly swamp any possible benefit that she can provide.

3. Pulling her or Bill into an official role will draw comparisons to the last failed attempt. I'm sure the Captain and First Mate on the Titanic learned a lot from their experience, too.

4. We really don't need any more weight on the right side of the teeter totter.

by tentakles 2009-08-19 10:56PM | 0 recs
What, she doesn't have enough going on as SoS?

This would be a horrible idea.

All it would do is embolden the Right further on a number of fronts -- bringing back the "Hillarycare" thing that energizes the right almost as much as Obama in office, take her attention away from foreign policy issues (unless you think all those problems are solved now) among many, many other things.

I like Hillary, but no. Let her do her job.

Make Sebelius do hers.

by fbihop 2009-08-19 11:16PM | 0 recs
Re: What, she doesn't have enough going on as SoS?

Here's a tip: the right is already energized.  Every single person who thinks of "Hillarycare" as the devil's tool is already out there waving a swastika around.

by Steve M 2009-08-20 04:12AM | 0 recs
i still like the idea

if america doesnt get a decent healthcare bill through our economy wont ever be ablle to be what it ever was. millions with no care and millions going bankrupt bc of our failing system impacts the global economy. our lack of healthcare drains our nation and thus does harm the world economic balance. obama said that a million times. so perhaps it is the business of sos to make sure our eocnomy is sound and our businesses dont have to risk collapse bc of healthcare payments,no?

by art3 2009-08-20 12:15AM | 0 recs