Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

Senator Max Baucus, Democrat of Montana, has told The Hill that he is undecided on next week's floor vote on Sotomayor.

"I have no idea," Baucus said. "I haven't paid any attention and I haven't announced ... I've been so busy with healthcare. It's under consideration. I'll certainly know when I vote, but right now I can't tell you."

The article suggests that the NRA may be a factor in the decision.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) has come out against Sotomayor, stating it will factor the vote into its legislative scorecard because the group feels the nominee would curb gun rights.

Baucus had an A rating from the NRA in 2008, as did two other Senate Democrats who ran last year: Tim Johnson of South Dakota and Mark Warner of Virginia.

Johnson supports Sotomayor's nomination.

Warner told The Hill on Thursday he intends to support Sotomayor -- and that he was "very disappointed" in the gun lobby. Warner also said he is not worried that Sotomayor will restrict the rights of gun owners.

"I'm very disappointed. [NRA seems] to be going beyond their Second Amendment issues, particularly when I think the judge's positions on those issues are still fairly open," Warner said. "I trust in her judgment and temperament. I think the NRA at some point has gone beyond its mission, and are perhaps allowing themselves to get hijacked by those who are in the extreme."

The NRA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A Baucus "no" vote against President Barack Obama's high-court nominee would attract national headlines. It would also create a politically awkward situation with the White House as it is trying to prod Baucus to produce a healthcare reform bill.

A "no" will do more than attract national headlines. It will make the Senator a persona non grata in the party. Montana's junior Senator, Jon Tester, will vote to confirm Judge Sotomayor as the nation's 111th Supreme Court Justice. Six Republicans so far have announced their support: Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lamar Alexander (Tennessee) Lindsey Graham (South Carolina), Richard Lugar (Indiana), Mel Martinez (Florida) and Olympia Snowe (Maine).

While I am sure that Senator Baucus will come to his senses, his indecision is nonetheless rather disconcerting.

Tags: SCOTUS, Senator Max Baucus, Sonia Sotomayor (all tags)

Comments

Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

is there any way we can get rid of this SOB and Ben Nelson?

by tarheel74 2009-07-30 07:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

okay this dumb ass cannot be a democrat.

by nikkid 2009-07-30 07:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

I hope he votes no. That certainly would help the healthcare debate.

by bruh3 2009-07-30 07:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor
If he does vote no, time to strip his chairmanship.  The only other Dem who may vote no
is Begich of Alaska, who needs all the NRA help he can get.
by esconded 2009-07-30 07:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

So he's been too busy sabotaging the Democrats' health care agenda to make a decision as to whether he's going to sabotage the Democrats' judicial agenda? :P

by mcc 2009-07-30 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

I don't see anything controversial in what he said...

by lori 2009-07-30 07:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

It sounds more like he was caught off guard, and went, "Oh.... shoot... the judge thing... yeah... I've been so busy I forgot... What's her name a again?"

Just shows what a low level his intellect is and why he's being so easily played by Grassley, et al...

by LordMike 2009-07-30 08:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

Agree with your first statement , could have been trying to avoid the question..

by lori 2009-07-30 08:15PM | 0 recs
This may have been

a FU to the other Dems causing him heartaches..."You threaten me, I'll threaten your SCOTUS judge"

Of course he'll vote for her...he's just gonna keep you hanging until he does.

by DTOzone 2009-07-30 08:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

So if he votes for her, what grade will he receive, an F? a B? Big f*cking deal. Baucus has an A right now so he's been loyal to the NRA, so tell me their going to throw a loyal soldier under the bus for one vote on a nominee who's going to win anyway.

Baucus is a major dick.

by TimO 2009-07-31 06:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Baucus Undecided on Sotomayor

He is pro second amendment rights Dems that's make it hard for him to swallow Sotomayor's nomination.

This is the same person that voted for Reagan conservatives Roberts and Alito due to that issue.

I think that despite what you think of her on issues, she demonstrated great wisdom and thinking.

Vote for Sotomayor

I would of chosen someone more Liberal than her like Diana Woods. But despite that she is a good pick.

by olawakandi 2009-07-31 08:06AM | 0 recs