DNC Outraises RNC in May

The Hotline's Jennifer Skalka has the details:

The DNC, which has lagged its Republican counterpart in fundraising so far this year, outraised the RNC in May by almost $3M.

The DNC took in $8.37M, compared with the RNC's $5.7M. The RNC has significantly more cash in the bank, however, $21.5M to the DNC's $12.1M.

With the Democrats already having consistently atched or even outraised the Republicans for the past four years despite not controlling the White House, there appears to be little reason why a Democratic National Committee, aided by a popular Democratic President, wouldn't be able to bring in more campaign cash than the Republican National Committee. So here's to hoping this is the beginning of a trend rather than an aberration.

Tags: DNC, Fundraising, RNC (all tags)

Comments

Re: DNC Outraises RNC in May

This is not a good thing. It's a result of the Democrats becoming more in line with corporate interests. They're successfully killing health care reform, environmental reform, and just about any time of change that would harm the interests of corporate America. Why wouldn't the money follow such loyalty?

by belili 2009-06-21 09:30AM | 0 recs
by lojasmo 2009-06-21 01:02PM | 0 recs
I'm saying no

to the DNC, DCCC and DSCC right now--in fact, just got another call from the DCCC about an hour ago. My message to them is that I want to see what health care and other bills get out of Congress this year.

by desmoinesdem 2009-06-21 03:35PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no

I'm sure the Republicans appreciate your continued support. Ralphie.

by spirowasright 2009-06-21 07:04PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no

What a sad attitude.

by Steve M 2009-06-21 09:44PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no
I'm sorry, but all the nagativsim here at Dkos and DU is starting to get to me.
I think the poster shared this beacause they thought it was good news and all I see from these comments are complaints. Can't you see the good in anything.
I think if Obamam and Dems in Congress gave the liberal blogosphere everything it wanted on a silver platter witha limo ride to the presentation, the blogosphere would still find something to bellyache about.
by spirowasright 2009-06-21 11:09PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no

And furthermore, you outraised the Repukes. You should see that as good news.

P.S.-Save your "Yeah buts" and saracastic comments fro someboyd who cares. I'm tired of them.

by spirowasright 2009-06-21 11:12PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no

Did you not think that this would happen?  I had predicted as early as 2007 that the liberal blogosphere would be complaining about a Democratic President after three months.

by Kent 2009-06-22 12:30AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no

The only negativism I see in this chain is your sarcastic comment that desmoinesdem is "supporting Republicans" by withholding donations to constructively pressure our elected officials.  This is politics, and they only care about two things: votes and money.

As any regular reader of this site should know, desmoinesdem is a tireless activist who does more than 99% of us to elect Democrats year in and year out.  People should seek to learn from her example, not cast aspersions upon her.

If the folks who make the fundraising calls report back, "I'm getting a lot of people who say they're waiting to see what we do on health care before we give," that message ends up coming through loud and clear to the elected officials.  The goal here is not just to get Democrats elected, but to make sure they enact good policy once they get there.

by Steve M 2009-06-22 04:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Witholding donations as pressure is fine

Who knows?  We have very few levers available to us to apply pressure, so we do what we can.  My impression of politicians is that they never really feel like they have enough money.

by Steve M 2009-06-22 09:26AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm saying no

Sorry. I'm sure desmoinesdem is a loyal activist (me? I'm just and independent observer), but I get so tired of these "I'm taking my ball and going home" posts and their multiple supportive comments that I just snapped.

by spirowasright 2009-06-22 01:34PM | 0 recs