Happy Mother's Day...and News

Happy Mother's Day to my Mom and all the mothers out there.

Last week I gave my Mom a whopper of a Mother's Day gift of sorts -- the news that I would be moving back east in June as I've just accepted a job doing netroots outreach for Kirsten Gillibrand's 2010 Senate campaign. I'm extremely excited about the opportunity but unfortunately it will mean I'll be leaving MyDD, most likely right after the May 19th CA-32 election. I'll miss this crazy place and blogging every day, of course, but I know this is the right move for me professionally and personally and I look forward to the new adventure.

But more on that in a future post. For now, in the spirit of Mother's Day, I wanted to share this CNN interview with my new boss.

I hope all you Moms are having a great day!

Consider this an open thread.

Update [2009-5-10 21:15:31 by Todd Beeton]:More on Senator Gillibrand (Mom-NY) at Politics Daily.

Tags: Kirsten Gillibrand, Mother's Day, NY-SEN (all tags)

Comments

congratulations

and good luck influencing those New York bloggers--not your laid-back Calitics crowd, I hear...

My sister moved to DC during the 1990s after nine years in LA, and it turned out great for her.

by desmoinesdem 2009-05-10 04:35PM | 0 recs
good luck!

by John DE 2009-05-10 04:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Are you originally from New York?

Born in NYC actually and lived there for 3 years in the 90s but my Mom is currently in CT, so I'll be landing there to start out.

Thanks!

by Todd Beeton 2009-05-10 04:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

I used to think mother's day was a capitalistic plot to separate me from my money, but, with an only son who's an adult  I now have a different point of view about mother's day.  Maybe if I had a daughter I'd still think it was a capitalistic plot?

by anna shane 2009-05-10 05:05PM | 0 recs
started out as an anti-war plot

hatched by Julia Ward Howe. Got co-opted and turned into a consumerist holiday just like all the others.

by desmoinesdem 2009-05-10 06:09PM | 0 recs
Wow...that's really great news. Sen Gillibrand

would definitely need your help. I enjoyed your frontpage blogs over the last couple of years. I'll definitely miss your incisive diaries but hopefully you'll come back here once in a while to give us an update of your whereabouts.

I live 100 minutes north of the City in a neighboring State and do have a pad in the city. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.

by louisprandtl 2009-05-10 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Congrats Todd.  I'll miss you, you are one of my favorites.  I'd vote for her, but since I live in Illinois, there is a certain illegality about it.

by 30000Fine 2009-05-10 06:25PM | 0 recs
Congrats, Todd!

Congratulations, Todd!

Although I never got to personally meet you here in LA, I wish the best, and I grant you success in the May 19 special here in El Sereno (CA CD-32).

But--isn't Gillibrand rather conservative for you? I mean, she might even be against gay marriage!

by Zeitgeist9000 2009-05-10 06:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Congrats, Todd!

Thanks, Zeitgeist!

She's actually really progressive, which her votes in the Senate since her appointment bear out, as does her stance in support of marriage equality.

by Todd Beeton 2009-05-11 12:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Congratulations and good luck.

by Jonathan Singer 2009-05-10 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Good luck on your new gig.  Kirsten has to get out
of Paterson's shadow very soon now--maybe by distancing herself from Paterson's budget and other things--the polling of late has her going in the wrong direction.  Also she needs to convince NYC voters as well as the blogosphere--this will be a tall order.

As for CA-32, I drove through a bit of the district on the way home from my Mother's day visit, only seeing Cedillo signs.  And does the GOP have a chance of stealing this seat with the other Chu?

by esconded 2009-05-10 07:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

re CA-32, no, no shot at stealing the seat. funny enough Betty Chu is now sending out mailers criticizing Judy Chu, with a picture and all. Hell, I thought her strategy was to confuse people into thinking she was Judy but here she is reminding people which is which.

conventional wisdom that this seat is going to go to either Judy Chu or Gil Cedillo still stands and Judy has all the momentum right now. Plus the local paper's endorsement plus Loretta Sanchez's endorsement. things are looking good for Judy but people need to keep working. it's not over until May 19th!

by Todd Beeton 2009-05-11 12:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Best of luck, Todd.

by Dreorg 2009-05-11 03:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Hey Todd, welcome back home!

by Sieglinde 2009-05-11 04:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Good luck Todd.  Kirstin's great and she's got a good guy in her corner.  I hope you guys kick @ss in 2010.

by alegre 2009-05-11 05:34AM | 0 recs
great news!

melancholy news for us - best of luck.

obviously you'll do an awesome job - but don't forget to keep us posted.

by canadian gal 2009-05-11 07:12AM | 0 recs
Todd FYI

Maybe we'll run into each other. I'm a blogger and I spend my days running around covering the NYC Democratic machine.

Rep. Steve Israel of Long Island is likely going to challenge Gillibrand in the primary, which makes little sense to me as Israel was a Blue Dog and has a voting record probably more conservative than Gillibrand. Although, neither are all that conservative. Israel is an excellent environmentalist.

I talked to a source in the city who believes Israel has no real intention of winning, unless Gillibrand falters, but is trying to keep a city Democrat (like Maloney or Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer) from standing a chance...but some of these people, as you'll find out, are conspiracy theorists.

Israel, I think, is retiring his seat in favor of Suffolk County Legislature Majority Leader Jon Cooper, who was an early Obama supporter and just married his longtime partner in Connecticut.

by DTOzone 2009-05-11 09:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Happy Mother's Day...and News

Late to the thread, but congrats! Welcome to the world of proud sellouts! I think this means you get to join the Netroots Nation trivia team!

by Josh Orton 2009-05-11 09:27AM | 0 recs