DNC Raising Money to Help Clinton Pay Off Debts

The following email from the Democratic National Committee under the signature of the party's executive director, Jen O'Malley Dillon, caught my eye this afternoon:

Jonathan --

I wanted to pass along an exciting opportunity to stand up for an important leader in our party, Hillary Clinton.

[...]

Now she needs our help. When Hillary agreed to join President Obama's administration, she made the decision to continue her lifelong commitment to serving our country. But with that commitment came the reality that she could no longer be personally involved in paying down the debt from her historic campaign.

[...]

As someone who's been around political campaigns and candidates for quite some time, I can tell you that running for president isn't easy. It involves sacrifice, resilience, and an undying commitment to something larger than yourself.

And when President Obama and Hillary Clinton came together after a competitive primary and teamed up to take America in a new direction, they showed millions of Americans that Democrats will always unite to better our country.

Now, as she carries out the immense task of building alliances, confronting global threats, and securing America's position of leadership in the world, let's stand up and show our appreciation for her leadership and commitment to our party:

Jen

Jen O'Malley Dillon
Executive Director
Democratic National Committee

This almost assuredly unprecedented move (it's hard to remember a time in the past when a party committee has raised funds to retire the debt of a cabinet secretary, though if it has happened before definitely jot it down in the comment section) should thoroughly put to rest the concerns of those Hillary supporters voiced so loudly during the summer of 2008 that Barack Obama was not doing enough to thank her for getting out of the race for the Democratic nomination.

Interestingly, Clinton may already be out of debt according to The Hotline (reports the site's blog, Clinton's cash-on-hand exceeds her debts to Mark Penn's firm), so it's not entirely clear just how urgent this fundraising appeal actually is (particularly at a time after a quarter in which the DNC raised $16.85 million to the $25.3 million take of the RNC). That said, viewed in the context of today's news that the President would be hosting a fundraiser for the DSCC and the DCCC this summer, this move can be viewed as another in a long series of party building activities by Barack Obama and his political team.

Tags: DNC, Hillary Clinton (all tags)

Comments

I'm rushing to my credit card

so that Mark Penn can be paid ASAP.

Seriously though, I find it hard to see how even Clinton supporters would want to do this.  Hillary probably has a lot more money than any of us.

by corph 2009-04-20 05:12PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm rushing to my credit card

By accepting the cabinet position Hillary Clinton forfeited the right to host fundraisers in her behalf to pay down her campaign debts.  I think the gesture here keeps that unusual circumstance in mind.

by devilrays 2009-04-20 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re:

I received a fundraising request from Paul Begala in my email box today:

Contribute now for a chance to win one of these three exclusive prizes

Dear

Imagine yourself walking into an exclusive event in New York accompanied by none other than President Clinton.

Picture yourself in California as part of the live audience of the most hotly anticipated TV finale.

Think about sitting across from James Carville and myself discussing politics in the shadow of our Nation's Capital.

Well you don't have to imagine anymore...you just have to pick. And if it were up to me, I'd pick door number three.

By clicking here and making a contribution of even as low as $5 you could be on your way to one of these three once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. So don't imagine, just click.

Make a $5 contribution today, and you could be on your way to one of these once in a lifetime opportunities!

Your contribution today will mean so much more than just a chance to take part in these fantastic prizes. It will also mean a great deal to our friend, Hillary Clinton.

We've paid off most of Hillary's presidential campaign debt and your gift today will help us get rid of the final bit that remains.

Hillary Clinton has meant so much to me over the years as I know she has to you as well. So when they asked me to take part in this once in a lifetime contest, I was compelled to act. I hope you will be too.

Sincerely,

Paul Begala

P.S. Remember these prizes are only available online and only for a limited time, so please don't delay in acting. Click here to enter today!

by devilrays 2009-04-20 05:50PM | 0 recs
Re:

I got the same missive. I would hate to give money to Mark Penn. Ugh.

by Charles Lemos 2009-04-20 06:48PM | 0 recs
I'm assuming...

I still can't give any more $$$$ since I maxed out my contribution, right? I had over paid (apparently) and they sent me back a refund.

by nikkid 2009-04-20 06:06PM | 0 recs
How much...

...of her personal multi-million dollar fortune can she use to retire this debt?  How much of this debt is owed to Mark Penn?  There are better uses of your  money, folks.

by TexasDarling 2009-04-20 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: DNC Raising Money to Pay Off Clinton Debts

Most Clinton supporters concerns were put to rest when Obama nominated her as Secretary of State. Conversely I would hope most Obama supporters concerns about her have been put to rest by Obama's stellar performance on international issues. Hillary lines 'em up and Barack knocks 'em down.

I don't remember any losing candidate getting this much support from the party committees to clear out debt, but my guess is that this is a quid pro quo for Bill Clinton raising money for them. No one can raise money from the Democratic rank and file like Bill Clinton (it would look unseemly for Obama to do it).

by souvarine 2009-04-20 07:07PM | 0 recs
WTF?

This is a waste of time and money on behalf of the DNC: they should be working for candidates who have to run for election and re-election in 2010, not a former candidate who probably won't be running for anything ever again.

The Clinton family is wealthy: they can pay of their own debts.  Let them.

by Drew 2009-04-20 07:49PM | 0 recs
The DNC needs to worry about future candidates

The Clintons have 100M in assets , income, whatever, most of it earned by virtue of their public office connections. They can't retire their own debt during a time when many hard working Democrats are having trouble with their own personal finances?

by Pravin 2009-04-20 10:11PM | 0 recs
Re: DNC Raising Money to Help Clinton Pay Off Debt

I see some Obots still haven't learned common courtesy AS it applies to politics. It's so nice our leaders our adults and don't waste time with childish or petty statements and are busy trying to improve our country.

by JasonMoreland 2009-04-21 05:18AM | 0 recs