CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

How involved with the 2010 cycle will President Obama be? Well, he's already pledging to help the one Democrat who probably needs it the most in his re-election effort.

From The Boston Globe via The Scorecard:

The political perils for Dodd, who is being outpolled by each of three little-known Republicans, have grown so acute that President Obama weighed in yesterday with a strong endorsement and a pledge of personal support.

"I can't say it any clearer: I will be helping Chris Dodd because he deserves the help," Obama told the Globe yesterday in a phone interview from Air Force One, as he flew to Mexico on a diplomatic trip.

"Chris is going through a rough patch," Obama said. "He just has an extraordinary record of accomplishment, and I think the people in Connecticut will come to recognize that. . . . He always has his constituencies at heart, and he's somebody I'm going to be relying on and working very closely with to shepherd through the types of regulatory reforms we need."

Classy.

Tags: Chris Dodd, CT-Sen, President Obama (all tags)

Comments

Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

Have you seen Dodd's Q1 fundraising numbers?  Only four (!) instate donors for less than one percent of the money raised.

Dodd has really lost his connection with his home state.  Time to announce retirement for 2010.  I don't think the president's endorsement will help that much when he's in deep trouble, and it could even hurt Obama on the mortgage/bank bailout issues, which will be the Democrats' Achilles heel for 2010.

by esconded 2009-04-17 07:23AM | 0 recs

Dear Mr. President:

I see you're standing up for the Democrats' choice for Senator from Connecticut.  Thank you for respecting Democratic voters' wishes.

Sincerely,

Ned Lamont

by beemer 2009-04-17 07:52AM | 0 recs

Nice!

by MNPundit 2009-04-17 08:29AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

Obama endorsed Lamont after he won the primary.

Lamont couldn't have been saved in the general by Obama heavily campaigning for him; he ran a great primary campaign but a lousy general-election campaign.  And Obama was much more use to us in other places in '06.

by mistersite 2009-04-17 09:09AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

ISnt gonna help him.....residents have had it with the guy...

by adb67 2009-04-17 08:51AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

What kind of help?  So far, the kind of help Obama has given in the past has been minimal.  Will he be campaigning in person for Dodd?  Or just cutting a radio ad?

by KimPossible 2009-04-17 09:05AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

Hopefully NONE and this is just lip service.

And, also hoping Chris does the right thing for the party, step down, and let a democrat have a chance of winning...

Cause, he is going down, he and his corporate board-sitting wife, both of them need to get thrown out on their backsides.

Chris stayed too long, and become a victim of his ego, and he is corrupt.

Step down, but I doubt he will. All these guys think they are bigger then the party.

by WashStateBlue 2009-04-17 09:17AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

I agree. I liked Dodd a lot in the presidential debates but have not liked anything he has done since the election. Dodd should have stood up to the Treasury Dept./Obama. That is why we have separate branches of government.

by Lolis 2009-04-17 09:47AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

Dodd is a true Democrat and Progressive. He's been smeared by to Right wing hit masters and obviously it's working. Browsing the comments seems to prove my point. I almost thought I was on Little Green footballs. We need to reach 60 in the Senate and now is not the time to turn on our own. I worked my ass off for Ned Lamont. Were no longer in the minority and we have to rethink how we respond to attacks from the right.

by Ed beckmann 2009-04-17 09:15AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

What, he is up to his ass in scandals all of his own doing..

He is going to lose BIG TIME to a Republican, and it is all his choices.

And what about his Wife?

You LIKE all these corporate board she sits on?

http://www.portfolio.com/resources/execu tive-profiles/Jackie-Marie-Clegg-53107

Couple of nice Pharma/Health Care companies there, what, paying her 100K per year?

Her background in that industry? ZERO!

Her qualification?

Being Dodds wife.

Dump em both is my take.

by WashStateBlue 2009-04-17 09:22AM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

I just want to point out that Jim Webb was going to lose big time in 2005.   Bill Clinton was a one term president in early 1995.  Hillary Clinton was going up against Rudy Guiliani for President in 2007.

History is FILLED with these types of assumptions.   Yes Dodd is losing now.  Yes our path is easiest if he retires.  But him running is not a guarenteed loss.  People are pissed, but 20 months before the election is a LONG time for people to calm down and for Dodd to win them back.

Everyone needs to relax.   It's way to early right now.

by 30000Fine 2009-04-17 12:49PM | 0 recs
I like Dodd, but...

There's a line, and I think he's crossed it.  Corrupt or not, he has every appearance of it.  For the good of his constituents, his state, and his party he should bow out.

by Reaper0Bot0 2009-04-17 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: CT-Sen: Dodd's Big Gun

Let's see, 26 year member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs and we're in the midst of a banking and financial crisis that he didn't see coming. Either he is corrupt or extremely incompetent. Why President Obama wants to be anywhere near this guy is a mystery.

by tpeichel 2009-04-17 05:13PM | 0 recs