Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

Last month, it emerged that MSNBC was looking at progressive talker Ed Schultz to anchor a new daily program on the network. Now, per a release, "The Ed Show" is official.

Veteran talk radio host Ed Schultz joins MSNBC as host of "The Ed Show," premiering on Monday, April 6. "The Ed Show" will air weekdays, 6-7 p.m. ET. The announcement was made today by Phil Griffin, President, MSNBC.

"I am thrilled to have Ed kicking-off our primetime lineup," said Griffin. "Ed's proven that he can connect with Americans and will be a perfect compliment to Chris, Keith, and Rachel. He's already made his mark on radio and I'm excited to see what he'll do with the 6 p.m. hour."

"I'm excited to have this opportunity with MSNBC," said Schultz. "I look forward to having a day to day discussion with fellow Americans on issues that really matter to all of us."

David Shuster, currently hosting "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" at 6 p.m. ET on MSNBC, will join Tamron Hall as host of a new 3-5 p.m. ET program on MSNBC. Shuster will also continue to anchor breaking news coverage during the day and serve as a regular substitute anchor for "Countdown with Keith Olbermann."  Norah O'Donnell's hour will move to the morning.  The exact hour will be announced at a later date.

It's somewhat disappointing to see Schultz bumping David Shuster out of the evening hours on MSNBC, as "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue" has been one of the better programs on cable news -- particularly in recognizing that conservatives aren't the only people with voices to be heard in this country. And those who read MyDD will know that I would have loved to have seen a progressive more closely affiliated with the netroots, like Sam Seder, get a new MSNBC gig. That all said, with the conservative domination of cable news, the addition of another progressive voice is certainly to be applauded. So here's to hoping "The Ed Show" is the type of success for MSNBC that the Keith and Rachel shows have been.

Update [2009-4-2 4:1:4 by Todd Beeton]:I've not really been a big fan of Ed Schultz but after his intro on Countdown today, I'm sort of on board. I especially liked this bit from Ed:

I'm gonna be the guy who represents people who take a shower after work. I'm gonna be that guy who's gonna be there for the working folk of America. I'm a staunch supporter of unions.

The whole thing is worth watching:

Tags: Ed Schultz, MSNBC (all tags)

Comments

lol
he is going to be the voice of the people he accused of racism because they supported Clinton rather than Obama?
I love it.  I can't take a single one of them seriously.  The left is adiotic as the right when it comes to punditry.
by Teacher1956 2009-04-02 04:09AM | 0 recs
Ed had a man crush on Obama

by RichardFlatts 2009-04-02 05:43AM | 0 recs
But, then, you took McCain/Palin seriously?

Kind of says it all, don't it.

by WashStateBlue 2009-04-02 09:38AM | 0 recs
oh good...tired snark

go back to dkos.  Did I take McCain Palin seriously?  What makes you say that? Really , whata silly non response.

by Teacher1956 2009-04-03 07:10AM | 0 recs
now tell me

how is this guy going to be the voice of the people he called racist?

by Teacher1956 2009-04-03 07:11AM | 0 recs
Schultze was disgusting - he is a nitwit

The way he conducted himself during the primaries and just turned into a total hack was disgusting.   Since then I have continued to listen some and just simply come to the conclusion that he isn't that bright.

The guy is sort of dumb.

by RichardFlatts 2009-04-02 05:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Schultze was disgusting - he is a nitwit

they are all dumb except at one thing, whoring themselves for money.

by Teacher1956 2009-04-03 07:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

Nice to see MSNBC willing to do a 180 from Fox.  They are showing they want to be the channel for the center and those moving left from the center.

I think CNN made the mistake years ago of trying to do soft imitations of Fox simply because Fox was being so successful in the ratings.

But they should have kept Shuster in that spot.  I really enjoyed that show.   Shuster, unlike Ed, can think and do more than just rant.   Shuster also brings some journalistic integrity to the mix.

by RichardFlatts 2009-04-02 05:43AM | 0 recs
What About the 10pm ET Slot?

Instead of re-runs of Countdown, is MSNBC still considering a new show then?  If so, is either Seder or Sirota given a chance?

by Arthurkc 2009-04-02 05:53AM | 0 recs
Re: What About the 10pm ET Slot?

No. They have dropped the search.

by jsfox 2009-04-02 06:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

By golly you mean one of the networks is actually putting on a Progressive Populist??? Sweet.

http://anewwayforward.org/demonstrations /

by JasonMoreland 2009-04-02 05:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

he is neither, he is an elitist non populist and not particularly progressive either.

by Teacher1956 2009-04-03 07:13AM | 0 recs
who cares

I don't watch cable news channels anyway.

by DTOzone 2009-04-02 06:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

looks like my ban of msnbc continues as THEY continue to hire sexist pigs for their line up.

by nikkid 2009-04-02 06:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

I used to listen to Ed in about 2006 when a progressive voice was a breath of fresh air on the radio.  I even called him and talked to him at length.  However, as 2008 approached, it was obvious he was way over his head on anything that didn't happen in South Dakota. He shilled horribly for the Farm bills and never saw a government handout to the farmers he didn't like.

I can understand his playing to the local "crowds" listening to him in the Black Hills, but his efforts to become an Obama talking point, coupled with the horrible things he said about Hillary and Bill Clinton (where do these "progressive commentators" get off on putting down the eight great years of Bubba?) have made him a "MUST NOT SEE TV" for me starting next week.

by krj47 2009-04-02 06:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

He's actually from Virginia but lived in Fargo since the 70s, not South Dakota. He used to be a republican because he wanted more money for himself until I think it was his wife, "opened his eyes."

by MNPundit 2009-04-02 07:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

Thank God it wasn't Sirota.

by rfahey22 2009-04-02 06:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

It's nothing personal just policy something staunch Obama supporters would be wise to remember. The buck stops with him to quote his own words and that includes the rot emerging from Treasury.

by JasonMoreland 2009-04-02 06:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

That's true but Sirota is not covering himself in self-promoting glory. I am far from Booman's view, but his points on Sirota are pretty good.

by MNPundit 2009-04-02 07:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Schultz to Join MSNBC

I know not what you speak of. I tend to ignore conflicts of personality. I do think Sirota's and a lot of other's opinions are correct when it comes to the bailout and Treasury. Giethner and Summers need to go.

by JasonMoreland 2009-04-02 07:33AM | 0 recs
Sirota lost respect with me

and many people long before Geithner. Whether he's right or wrong about Treasury, he's still a shameless self-promoting jerk who thinks the only people whos opinions matter are those who agree with him 100%.

by DTOzone 2009-04-02 08:49AM | 0 recs
I agree

Sirota is a self-promoting purity putz.

His show would be a constant concern troll, he would spend more time bashing the left then the right.

Plus, his ego is too big for a network with Keith already on board.

by WashStateBlue 2009-04-02 09:35AM | 0 recs
Re: I agree

David is out of touch. Open Left is an insightful and thoughtful blog but David is just polemical. He's not pragmatic, he's ideological.

by Charles Lemos 2009-04-02 11:28AM | 0 recs
Loved 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

I like Ed, but I really enjoyed 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!!! Why could't they have just replaced one of the Keith/Rachel reruns? Dissapointed.

by KoolJeffrey 2009-04-02 07:29AM | 0 recs