Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

After Sanjay Gupta dropped out of consideration for Surgeon General, attention quickly turned to the esteemed Dr. Dean (well, after Dr. Spaceman, of course.) I'm glad to see the hope that Howard Dean could still have a spot in the Obama administration may still be alive.

Dean, who recently wrapped up a four-year term as Democratic Party chairman, has been a supporter of health reform, and has privately made clear that he is interested in the job, according to the cable network.

CNN said two White House officials noted that, while it is too early to compile a list of candidates for surgeon general, they did not rule out Dean getting the job.

"I would not dismiss it," one of the White House officials said of the possibility that Dean will be selected.

Yeeeeearghhhhh!

Tags: Barack Obama, Howard Dean, surgeon general (all tags)

Comments

Howard Dean for Surgeon General

is like Meryl Streep being the receptionist at the Yale School of Drama

by DTOzone 2009-03-06 04:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean for Surgeon General

I was thinking this is a little more similar to Susan Luce.

by bruh3 2009-03-06 04:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean for Surgeon General

I tend to agree. He deserves better than this.

The duties of the Surgeon General are to:

* Protect and advance the health of the Nation through educating the public, advocating for effective disease prevention and health promotion programs and activities, and, providing a highly recognized symbol of national commitment to protecting and improving the public's health,
    * Articulate scientifically based health policy analysis and advice to the President and the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) on the full range of critical public health, medical, and health system issues facing the Nation,
    * Provide leadership in promoting special Departmental health initiatives, e.g., tobacco and HIV prevention efforts, with other governmental and non-governmental entities, both domestically and internationally,
    * Administer the U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) Commissioned Corps, which is a uniquely expert, diverse, flexible, and committed career force of public health professionals who can respond to both current and long-term health needs of the Nation,
    * Provide leadership and management oversight for PHS Commissioned Corps involvement in Departmental emergency preparedness and response activities,
    * Elevate the quality of public health practice in the professional disciplines through the advancement of appropriate standards and research priorities, and
    * Fulfill statutory and customary Departmental representational functions on a wide variety of Federal boards and governing bodies of non-Federal health organizations, including the Board of Regents of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, the National Library of Medicine, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, and the American Medical Association.

Surgeon General Duties.

by Charles Lemos 2009-03-06 04:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

I mean you're taking a job that Sanjay Gupta didn't want. Poor Howard.

by Charles Lemos 2009-03-06 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

THings I read say he's not really interested in it.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-06 06:03PM | 0 recs
I like it!

I hope it is true!

by kevin22262 2009-03-06 06:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Oh, please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please!

by Stoic 2009-03-06 06:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

No.  It's a low profile, low impact job.

Besides, Dean just signed on with a speaker's bureau and is consulting with DFA and with McKenna Long & Aldridge here in DC.  He can make significantly more dollars doing that stuff than he can as surgeon general.

Besides, you're relying on a newswire report that quotes CNN quoting an anonymous White House source.  Please.

There are numerous manipulative and distorting effects from having government officials make pronouncements while remaining anonymous, one of the most significant of which is that there is no accountability whatsoever when they make false or misleading statements.

It would be worthwhile to read what both Glenn Greenwald and Paul Krugman had to say today about anonymous sources.

by KimPossible 2009-03-06 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Dean is already a civic-minded blue blood. He doesn't need to worry about making money. I hoped he would have had a bigger role in the Obama administration or at least the party going forward, but eh. I'm waiting to see what happens.

by Quinton 2009-03-06 09:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

"Civic minded blue blood"?  It's not like he's got an inheritance waiting for him.

I stand by my position: He won't take the job.

by KimPossible 2009-03-07 04:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Howard Dean is not poor... he is doing fine for himself... Probably in Biden's range, pre-vp.   Nothing wrong with that.

I agree he won't take it, but not because of money.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-07 05:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Wouldn't he get to wear a uniform and be called "General?"

by susie 2009-03-06 09:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

He would get to wear a uniform and be called "General?"

by susie 2009-03-06 09:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Commission health corps... I used to work with them as a contractor.  Its strange.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-07 05:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

I would love to see it, but I am convinced Dean doesn't want to work in this administration.  I suspect he wants to spend some time with his family.

by lojasmo 2009-03-07 03:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

I think he wants to make more of an impact.  All reports are he REALLY wanted HHS and Rahm torpedoed him.

I think he passes on this and maybe pushes for a position when a vacancy occurs.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-07 05:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Your scenario is not inconsistent with my hypothesis of Dean wanting to spend more time with his family.  I also think people overestimate Rahm's influence.

by lojasmo 2009-03-07 06:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

In a recent interview with CNN, Howard Dean stated that he hoped to work on health policy and to make speeches on health care reform. I also received an email in which he said he was re-joining DFA, which now boasts over 1 million members. If he was actually being considered for SG, don't you think he would have been participating in Thursday's health care forum at the White House??

by elaineinroanokeva 2009-03-07 04:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Well no, since Gupta dropped out the day of the conf.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-07 05:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

He wanted HHS, even said so.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-03-07 05:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

A role he would have been excellent for and would have kept our chances of flipping the Kansas senate seat alive.   Damn Rahm.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-07 05:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

You're assuming that Sebelius wanted to run for Senate. Like Napolitano (and IMO, like Clinton and Obama), I suspect she's an "executive personality" who isn't really interested waiting decades for the seniority and connections necessary to make a real difference in a legislative body.

Also, can we please stop with this pointless demonization of Rahm Emmanuel as some nefarious puppet master? Ultimately, these decisions are being made by Obama. If you don't like them, criticize him, don't disrespect him as some kind of oblivious patsy.

by IsaccBurn 2009-03-07 08:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

Citation or quotation, J?

by lojasmo 2009-03-07 06:25PM | 0 recs

Found one:

"I was pretty clear that I would have liked to have been Secretary of HHS but it is the president's choice and he decided to go in a different direction"

As I've always said:  Fuck Rahm Emanuel.

by lojasmo 2009-03-07 06:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Well if it's Rahm who did it

Eh.  I don't get easily hurt.  We can agree to disagree, I think.

by lojasmo 2009-03-08 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Howard Dean For Surgeon General?

It's possible to have an impact as Surgeon General: C. Everett Koop did, with his anti-cigarette policy, and Clinton's (Jocelyn Elders)tried to, but perhaps made more enemies than friends.

He could also advise Sebelius in areas of HHS where she might not have enough expertise, though she'll have deputies who should be able to fill her in.

But that might not be enough to keep Howard happy, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen.

(I still like the idea of the uniform, though).

by susie 2009-03-07 08:28AM | 0 recs