What I'm Watching Tonight: NBC's "Kings"

Apparently there aren't many like me, but I have been really enjoying watching NBC's "Kings." The show, which airs on Sunday nights at 8:00 PM, is a modern day interpretation of the complex relationship and power struggle between King Saul and King David in the Bible. Not unlike HBO's prematurely cancelled series "Deadwood," in which Ian McShane also starred as a tactical though troubled strongman, "Kings" dramatizes politics at its purest and basest. Though I think that Alessandra Stanley is right that the dialogue in "Kings" doesn't match that in "Deadwood," and from my vantage Sebastian Stan's David lacks the depth of internal conflict of Timothy Olyphant's Seth Bullock in "Deadwood," McShane is no less compelling in the role of Saul (or Silas, as he has been renamed for "Kings") than he was in his previous role on HBO as Al Swearingen.

What are you watching these days?

Tags: Kings, television (all tags)

Comments

LOST

Season 5 of LOST. It's a helluva ride.

by Cincinnatus 2009-03-29 04:27PM | 0 recs
\C's "Kings"

Yeah I like KINGS a lot as well.   Too bad no one is watching it...      But its been great.

I will say this about Deadwood, the last season was one of my favorite seasons of any tv show I have ever watched.   The conflict with McRaney as Hearst was amazing and the fight scene between Dan and Heart's guy was un believable.

by 30000Fine 2009-03-29 05:20PM | 0 recs
NBC's "Kings"

I LOVE Kings!  I can't BELIEVE it's on network TV, and it's so smart that I can well imagine that it goes over most of American audiences heads.  I love seeing Ian McShane as the king, I love how the makers have shown us a MAJESTIC New York City (think about it -- don't we most often see how seamy it is?), and although it's no Deadwood, it seems just as Shakespearean (which is ANOTHER thing we rarely see on TeeVee).  Oh, and from what I can tell, it doesn't stray all that far from the Book of Samuel, either.  So...it ILLUMINATES a Bible story for us, using Shakespearean syntax....WOW!  Thirteen episodes were made, and let's hope that NBC airs them all.  Maybe the Peacock Network has nothing else to put in it's place, eh?

by grapeshot 2009-03-29 05:31PM | 0 recs
Kings and Arrested Development!

I've been watching Kings also, love it! Still haven't caught it on TV, I've watched it on hulu each week. Also been watching old episodes of Arrested Development...

by sinovic 2009-03-29 06:31PM | 0 recs
The commercials turned me off...

The ads posed the question: "What if [America] had a king?"

I saw that show already. It ran for 8 years. I couldn't wait for it to end.

by taradinoc 2009-03-29 06:56PM | 0 recs
Law and Order and Blind Date

I love the thought balloons..

by Trey Rentz 2009-03-29 07:52PM | 0 recs
Kings is the best show on national TV right now.

Period.

by djtyg 2009-03-29 08:25PM | 0 recs
"Damages" is outstanding T.V....

...and my vote for the best thing on the screen.

Holly Hunter's getting even better in "Amazing Grace" this season, too. That lady can act!

Also, I'm into "Lie to Me," with Tim Roth and "Life on Mars" (which I think's only going to be on this one season).

Lastly, anything done past, present or future with a David Mamet script ROCKS! And, that'd include "The Unit," which I also think was just cancelled.

Then again, I'd venture to guess that I watch all of three or four hours of regularly-programmed T.V. per week, with many of the shows listed above in a backlog of unwatched episodes on my TiVo!

(Watched about 15 mins. of "Kings" tonight, for the first time...and it seemed a bit on the soap opera-ish side. But, I'll have to watch a full episode before I pass judgement.)

by bobswern 2009-03-29 10:28PM | 0 recs
Kings is pretentious crap

Kings is dreck. You know the source material is fancypants Bible stories. You know Ian McShane is dope. The camera work is nice. So you're tricked into thinking this is "good television". But if you actually listen to that dialogue and watch that show scene by scene, it is laughably dumb. David and whatshername the completely forgettable daughter girl with their dowy eyed "meaningful" stares. The show is pure hokum. The King has no clothes. The last show like it was Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. All full of self-regard and impressed by its own pseudo-intellectual BS.  It's M. Night Shyamalayanish. It just goes to show how utterly crap most TV is that anything vaguely imaginative and ambitious gets lauded and adored even if it's not actually entertaining, coherent, or worth your time.

by riboflavin 2009-03-30 12:01AM | 0 recs
I tried Kings....

But, outside of Ian McShane, who is turning in his usual brilliance, I just can't get into it.

Like the concept, but I just haven't been hooked.

I also am addicted to Damages, never miss it, and also catch Saving Grace, as I think the actors in it are a cut of above most cable fare.

Also, I watch Burn Notice, for the same reason.

I tried Doll House, only because I love the director, Josh Whedon created one of the truly missed great TV series of the last decade, Firefly.

But, Doll House is just Eye Candy, an excuse for Eliza Dushku to look blank stared and wear little or no clothes.  I get most Sci-Fi is aimed at 18-30 year old geeky males, but my girlfriend was like "Jeez, think they could be MORE overt????"

by WashStateBlue 2009-03-30 08:19AM | 0 recs