Another Progressive Voice on MSNBC?

It may be in the mix:

The Observer has learned that MSNBC president Phil Griffin is in discussions with syndicated talk radio host Ed Schultz about possibly joining the network on a full-time basis.  It is unclear what exactly the job would entail should Mr. Schultz and MSNBC come to an agreement.

While I would like to see an MSNBC gig to go to someone more closely affiliated with the netroots like Sam Seder, it would nevertheless be a positive development for the network to add another progressive voice like that of Ed Schultz to its roster. Conservatives will carp, as they are wont to, but as Atrios and others have mentioned, this would only bring MSNBC to parity in live programming, with the troika of Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow and Ed Schultz having the same amount of live airtime as former conservative Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough. So to Phil Griffin I say, bring on Ed.

Tags: MSNBC (all tags)

Comments

Re: Another Progressive Voice on MSNBC?

Any housewife and cabdriver chosen at random would bring the same level of intelligent discussion to Morning Joe as does Mika and Joe.

One could learn as much in any blue collar bar in NJ or Queens any afternoon or evening.

Mika is dumb as a fence post.  Joe is a blowhard with a self image way out of square with reality.

He's rude to boot, treats Mika like Archie Bunker  used to treat Edith.  And she takes it because she's too dumb to do otherwise.

by gilrod2007 2009-03-20 08:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Another Progressive Voice on MSNBC?

Ha-ha, Archie and Edith. Perfect. Joe is a slow-witted O'Reilly wannabe and Mika is too dumb even for Headline News.

by KoolJeffrey 2009-03-21 09:24AM | 0 recs
Lawrence O'Donnell?

Lawrence O'Donnell and Keith Olbermann quipped the other night  that O'Donnell's persistent questioning of Rep. Eric Cantor re Cantor's upcoming vote on the AIG bonuses was O'Donnell's "audition tape".

I'm inclined to think O'Donnell wouldn't have mentioned it unless something was going on, either re O'Donnell or unnamed someone else.

Personally, I'm not that thrilled with the thought of  Ed Schultz.  A little of him goes a long way.

I actually find myself turning to CNN and even CNBC more and more lately for variety, as a lot of Olberman and Maddow turns out to be the same old same old.

by susie 2009-03-20 10:56PM | 0 recs
No thanks!

I saw Schultz. Once was enough. I remember thinking to myself, "I hope this isn't a tryout of some kind."

by vcalzone 2009-03-21 08:23AM | 0 recs
Yeah.....better widen the aisles!

Schultz is a blowhard, and everything he says is predictable. He's one of those pundits who will never surprise you, and will never make you think about something in a way you hadn't thought before.

Beyond that, I'm a fitness fanatic, and someone like Ed Schultz sends the wrong message to our young people.

by BJJ Fighter 2009-03-21 09:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Another Progressive Voice on MSNBC?

Ed Schulz is not a progressive, and his voice and cadence are annoyingly similar to el rushbo. Put Mike Malloy on TV 24/7. That's who's on in my version of heaven.

by QTG 2009-03-21 08:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Another Voice on MSNBC?

EEEUUUUUGGGHHH! Ed Schultz is only a pseudo-progressive & I would not watch his show anymore than I listen to it now. How about Lawrence O'Donnell? Or the above mentioned Sam Seder? Or no, make it Randi Rhodes!

by SuznAZ 2009-03-21 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Another Progressive Voice on MSNBC?

of all progressive talkers they'd go with schultz? uggh. in my book, he has the distinction of being Pres Obama's worst onair surrogate during the campaign. I find it very uncomfortable to listen to and watch him. and I agree with commenter above, his progressive bona fides are wanting.

by Todd Beeton 2009-03-21 09:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Another Progressive Voice on MSNBC?

oh yeah, and speaking of Mika, umm, maybe don't let her sub for Matthews anymore? eesh, embarrassing.

by Todd Beeton 2009-03-21 09:19AM | 0 recs
These are rambunctious times

Ed Schultz has been a no-nonsense progressive voice for years. He is a go-to guy on cable news shows and has been a strident voice calling out conservatives as hypocrites on his popular radio show. He was an active supporter of Obama from the very beginning.

No offense to the other candidates, but I think a little less snark might complement the uber-intellectuals, Keith and Rachel. They have elevated the quality of cable news to a new level, but I fear a lot of older or blue collar liberals simply don't get all of their hip cultural references.

Chris Matthews has cast himself as the blue-collar left-centrist, but his show is unwatchable. The only voice he is interested in hearing is his own.

I also remember when Rumsfeld banned Ed's show from armed forces radio in Iraq. I guess he was getting a little too close to the truth.

Just saying that Ed Schultz might provide a little balance to represent liberals who don't get their news from the Jon Stewart show.

by KoolJeffrey 2009-03-21 09:19AM | 0 recs