Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

In crisis management mode, Michael Steele ran to GQ for a fluff interview. Unfortunately for him, yet predictably, he couldn't get through it without putting his foot in it (or whatever one would call the chairman of the RNC seeming to advocate a pro-choice position on abortion rights.)

From Josh Marshall:

From Lisa DePaulo's interview with Michael Steele, asking him to explain his pro-life views ...

DePaulo: Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?

Steele: Yeah. I mean, again, I think that's an individual choice.

What happens when you need a crisis management team for your crisis management?

Update [2009-3-11 21:50:3 by Todd Beeton]:For what it's worth, Steele elaborates:

Are you saying you don’t want to overturn Roe v. Wade?
I think Roe v. Wade—as a legal matter, Roe v. Wade was a wrongly decided matter.

Okay, but if you overturn Roe v. Wade, how do women have the choice you just said they should have?
The states should make that choice. That’s what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states. Let them decide.

On a separate note, check out Steele's thoughts on bipartisanship. Interesting:

Do you think bipartisanship can work?
No. [pause] Look, I’m sorry, I know this is, you know, la-la land and Rodney King time and we all wanna get along, but that is not the nature of American politics. That is not the nature of politics, period.

I don’t know if refreshing’s the word, but to hear someone say bipartisanship doesn’t work— It doesn’t work! I mean, I understand the ideal of it. But at the end of the day, this is a game of winners and losers. This is zero-sum. Your winning is my losing. My winning is your losing.

Tags: choice, DNC, GQ, Michael Steele (all tags)

Comments

Far Better Off As a Media Personality

Mr. Steele may soon find himself hosting a show on CNN or what have you!

by Zeitgeist9000 2009-03-11 06:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

This is so so so amusing.

The contradictions in the GOP are beginning to catch up with them.

by Charles Lemos 2009-03-11 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

Steele is an incredibly ignorant man.

by Bush Bites 2009-03-11 07:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

SA-WEEEET!

by Sieglinde 2009-03-11 07:21PM | 0 recs
We need to do whatever we can

to keep this guy in charge of the RNC.  I was hoping that Katon Dawson would win it initially, thinking that Michael Steele had the potential to be a political leader that could appeal to those outside CPAC, but thankfully I was absolutely and completely wrong in that assessment.  I totally overestimated the urgency amoungst Republicans to reform the party after two consecutive failed elections.

by West of the Fields 2009-03-11 07:23PM | 0 recs
The walking dead

Steele is SOOOOOO gone....

A black man contradicting Rush Limbaugh?

What party did he think he was head of?

I'm not even a Republican, and I could have
told him to toady up to Rush like the rank and file Southern Honky Senators...

by WashStateBlue 2009-03-11 07:45PM | 0 recs
He's definitely toast b/c I agree w/him...

...almost completely.

Except his view Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided.  But even then I respect the legal argument made against it, which is not logically or intellectually inconsistent with being pro-choice even though in PRACTICE almost everyone lines up their view of Roe with their view of abortion.  And I must admit I do the same simply as a practical matter.

On bipartisanship, what he said is inartful but completely correct and and, therefore, really is deeply refreshing.  To me.  But the Democratic noise machine will eat him alive.  And I'm OK with that, too, because, as Steele himself said, politics is about winning, and I'll take a few wins in news cycles any way we can get 'em.

by DCCyclone 2009-03-12 05:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

If I  am not mistaken, Steele is inadvertnetly exposing the Republican hypocrisy of Roe v. Wade.
Here me out:
Overturning Roe V. Wade doesn't automatically make abortion illegal. It simply leaves the legality of abortion up to each individual state.
The problem is, the average person doesn't know that, and the Republican party doesn't want that. Why? Because at any given time, at least 60% of the American people beleive that abortion should be legal.
If Roe v. Wade was overturned, the old Confederacy would vote to have abortion legal, and it would be legal everywhere else. Then upper and middle class pregnant women would have to go to FLorida or MD to get an abortion, while lower-income pregnant women would have to go to the back alleys. THe amount of bad press that is gnerated by all of the women who who get scarred or even worse by illegal abortions would crush the GOP in no time.
So instead they would rather just make abortion a campaign point, and not much else.

Steele is letting the cat out of the bag. He knows that the entire abortion is is a GOP smokescreen.

by xodus1914 2009-03-12 08:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

COrrection.The old Confederacy would vote to make abortion illegal, and it would be legal everywhere else.

Hell, at this rate, even Virginia may not overturn Roe v. Wade.

by xodus1914 2009-03-12 08:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch

Ah, the right-wing nut job

The Colonel and Company, today's strip (#205)

by MtnFrost 2009-03-12 09:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch
The race is the most popular sporting event in Alaska, and the top mushers and their teams of dogs are local celebrities; this popularity is credited with the resurgence of recreational in the state since the 1970s. While the yearly field of more than fifty mushers and about a thousand dogs is still largely Alaskan, competitors from fourteen countries have completed the event including the Swiss Martin who became the first international winner in 1992.
-------------
illinois drug rehab-illinois drug rehab
by jenifar 2009-03-12 12:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Steele Death Spiral Watch
-------------
jenifar
------------
indiana drug rehab-indiana drug rehab
by jenifar 2009-03-12 12:55PM | 0 recs