On Bobby Jindal

I'll have more to say on Bobby Jindal, both later tonight on MyDD Blog Talk Radio at Midnight Eastern/9:00 PM Pacific and tomorrow in a post I have cooking in my mind, but for now here's conservative David Brooks on PBS' "News Hour":

JIM LEHRER: Now that, of course, was Gov. Bobby Jindal, the governor of Louisiana, making the Republican response. David, how well do you think he did?

DAVID BROOKS: Uh, not so well. You know, I think Bobby Jindal is a very promising politician, and I oppose the stimulus because I thought it was poorly drafted. But to come up at this moment in history with a stale "government is the problem,""we can't trust the federal government" - it's just a disaster for the Republican Party. The country is in a panic right now. They may not like the way the Democrats have passed the stimulus bill, but that idea that we're just gonna - that government is going to have no role, the federal government has no role in this, that - In a moment when only the federal government is actually big enough to do stuff, to just ignore all that and just say "government is the problem, corruption, earmarks, wasteful spending," it's just a form of nihilism. It's just not where the country is, it's not where the future of the country is. There's an intra-Republican debate. Some people say the Republican Party lost its way because they got too moderate. Some people say they got too weird or too conservative. He thinks they got too moderate, and so he's making that case. I think it's insane, and I just think it's a disaster for the party. I just think it's unfortunate right now.

Update [2009-2-24 23:25:42 by Jonathan Singer]: Per Think Progress, even Fox News didn't like Jindal. Ouch.

And I'm apparently not the only one by far that thought Jindal sounded a bit like Kenneth from NBC's "30 Rock".

Tags: Bobby Jindal (all tags)

Comments

Re: On Bobby Jindal

I had not realized I was six years old, but that's how the GOP Superstar Jindal addressed me, so I suppose I am.

by bosdcla14 2009-02-24 06:23PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Everything has to be dumbed down for the 15 to 20% remaining hardcore Republican supporters these days.   Joe Six Pack, Joe the Plumber, gotcha, you betcha, and now Jindal's 3-rd grader style address aimed squarely at the Republican base.

Jindal's response was riddled with turnabouts and falsehoods, but the condescending manner Jindal chose to talk to his audience made this one of the absolute WORST opposition responses I have ever seen, a contrast in style made even more stark as it immediately followed one of the BEST ever presidential deliveries witnessed.

by devilrays 2009-02-24 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

More Troy McClure I thought than Kenneth.

by fogiv 2009-02-24 06:23PM | 0 recs

More like Mr. Rogers...

by LordMike 2009-02-24 06:35PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

...a little like Erik Estrada selling bad real estate.

by fogiv 2009-02-24 06:38PM | 0 recs
Jindal as Mr. Rogers

You're onto something because on number of other sites, including conservatives, that comparison was also made.

by Charles Lemos 2009-02-24 07:53PM | 0 recs

A great line about Jindal from Sullivan -

The rest was boilerplate. And tired, exhausted, boilerplate. If the GOP believes tax cuts - more tax cuts - are the answer to every problem right now, they are officially out of steam and out of ideas. And remember: this guy is supposed to be the smart one.

by jsfox 2009-02-24 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

A horrible, disjointed and cynical response.  If THAT is the future super star of the Republican party, we are in very good shape.  Louisiana received something in the neighborhood of $150 Billion Dollars in FEDERAL AID in response to Katrina, yet this guy has the audacity to claim that government WAS THE PROBLEM? That is true only for the ridiculous response time from the Bush administration and the tepid FEMA reaction (as led by Bush's horse trading crony,) but beyond that certainly and 'Earth to Jindal' shout is highly appropriate:  "How thankless of an individual can you be to wipe away and disregard OUR collective helping hand via federal aid to the tune of $150+ Billion without which Louisiana would still be in shambles, down and out?"

Aside from the many weird moments in Jindal's response it was striking how wooden and uninteresting Jindal came across, how very little fire and passion he conveyed.  A poor orator when I expected a very good, if not great one.

by devilrays 2009-02-24 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Gov. Jindal's line about how health care decisions should be made by patients and doctors--and not government bureaucrats--definitely made me think of this:

In the absence of a living will, DeLay argued, Schiavo's spouse couldn't legally vouch for her wishes, as DeLay's mother had done--on less apparent basis--for DeLay's father. When a reporter noted that "Terri Schiavo's husband has said that she expressed a verbal desire that she not continue in this sort of state," DeLay replied, "The sanctity of life overshadows the sanctity of marriage. I don't know what transpired between Terri and her husband. All I know is Terri is alive. ... And unless she had specifically written instructions in her hand and with her signature, I don't care what her husband says."

A day later, DeLay told reporters that Congress had to intervene rather than "take it from just a few people that have decided whether she lives or dies. For one person in one state court to make this decision is too heavy. That's why it does take all of us to think this through, think about the Constitution and its protection of life."

Republicans have absolutely no moral authority to be lecturing Americans on this issue.  None.

by Will Graham 2009-02-24 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Maybe when he said doctors should make those decisions he was referring exclusively to Bill Frist?

by Jess81 2009-02-25 08:33AM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Remember when Brian Schweitzer gave that speech at the Democratic Convention and he started off all folksy about being a ranger and then he launched into energy policy and he had all the people hooting and hollering and clapping and jumping to their feet and it was a huge hit?  Jindal's speech was like that, only the exact opposite.

by Steve M 2009-02-24 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Er, a rancher, not a ranger!  Yeah.

by Steve M 2009-02-24 06:53PM | 0 recs
best laugh line i've seen so far!!! n/t

by TrueBlueMajority 2009-02-25 07:43AM | 0 recs
Bobby Jindal

is stuck on stupid. Government is only a problem when it is staffed by Republicans who profess that government doesn't work and then set out to prove it.

by Charles Lemos 2009-02-24 06:35PM | 0 recs
Indeed.

The Norquist Doctrine.

by fogiv 2009-02-24 06:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Bobby Jindal
Dude, there is a REALLY great quote somewhere in what you just said.
My apologies in advance. :-)
by xodus1914 2009-02-24 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Jindal looked pathetic compared to Obama.  Like a goober, a rube, Barney Fife with a little used car salesman mixed in there.

He sucked.

by JK47 2009-02-24 06:36PM | 0 recs
I guess we're all wrong

Walter Dellinger, Attorney:
Bobby Jindal was terrific. His response is the most effective I can remember since Ed Muskie's fireside chat following Nixon's State of the Union in 1970. The staging was beautiful -- the old South governor's mansion with the big magnolia tree in front leading in to his slender young son of immigrants serving as Governor. He presented an alternative vision that was not mean sprited, but optimistic. Will this do for Jindal what the 2004 keynote speech did for Obama?

We're doomed!

by January 20 2009-02-24 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess we're all wrong

Isn't Walter one of the old guys who sits in the balcony box on the Muppett Show?

by fogiv 2009-02-24 06:42PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess we're all wrong

This may speak to my stupidity, but I just gotta ask -

Who the hell is Walter Dellinger (besides an attorney)?

by RecoveringRepublican 2009-02-24 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess we're all wrong

Walter Dellinger was in the Clinton DOJ.  He argued the gun-control side of the DC v. Heller case.

by Steve M 2009-02-24 07:35PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess we're all wrong

Thanks much - I'd never heard of him, which doesn't speak well of my attention to detail since I recall listening to the DC v. Heller arguments.

by RecoveringRepublican 2009-02-25 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I guess we're all wrong

this is good news for John McCain!

by TrueBlueMajority 2009-02-25 07:44AM | 0 recs
Jindal is way too much of a religious nutcase to

be taken seriously. His performance was wooden and fared rather poorly in comparison to the President's speech.

by louisprandtl 2009-02-24 06:43PM | 0 recs
not to mention how disingenuous he sounded

during the intro, when he sounded as if he were being sarcastic towards Barack Obama. Piyush was supposed to be the next RROTUS (Ronald Reagan of the United States) according to Rush Limbaugh. He's more like the next Adlai Stevenson, only a Republican, as he is smart, yes, but hideously boring. His speaking skills need an exorcism.

by Lakrosse 2009-02-24 07:51PM | 0 recs
Well Adlai was a good man...and not a religious

fanatic.

by louisprandtl 2009-02-24 07:56PM | 0 recs
Re: not to mention how disingenuous he sounded

mojo'd for "RROTUS".

by Jess81 2009-02-25 08:35AM | 0 recs
Fox's Response to Jindal's Response

Also, good to see Fox News give Jindal deference and understanding, noting the difficult position the opposition response is in, just like they graciously conceded the same to Gov. Sebelius and all the Democratic responses of the previous 8 years.

by RecoveringRepublican 2009-02-24 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

HAHA. if this is the best they have to put up in '12 well then re-election might be even easier than I thought. If they hadn't ruined my country, I might feel sorry for the republicans.

by Democrat in Chicago 2009-02-24 08:08PM | 0 recs

Ed Rollins on Jindal.

"Tonight was a good night for Sarah Palin."

And Charlie Crist et al.

by Charles Lemos 2009-02-24 08:14PM | 0 recs
Mostly Palin, I think

I was reading the Free Republic thread on the speech, and the number of "Palin should have done it!" comments was astounding. There were a few mentions of Mittens, none of Pawlenty, Crist, et al.

Heck, even I think she should have done it =).

by Neef 2009-02-25 05:42AM | 0 recs
The problem is the audience

Nothing the Jindal and Sanford spiel does bring anyone new into the Republican tent.

They are preaching to a shrunken choir.

The problem is, Reagan STILL had a strong image of corporate America as something good to sell.

My parents had a social contract with American business.

But, that started to go very south, and especially since Bush one and through Bush two, corporate America has turned into a killing fields.

No one trusts it, except the very wealthy class that owns it.

Jindal and the rest of the Republicans are doomed if they think the Millenials are buying into this crap.

They have seen their parents generation screwed again and again by corporate America, so to think they are going buy all this free market Bullshit is ludicrious.

Eric Cantor, Jindal, Sanford, are all part of the regional white, old and disaffected southern Republican minority.

They are more then in trouble, they are toast.

by WashStateBlue 2009-02-24 08:22PM | 0 recs
Re: The problem is the audience

great points. The GOP's talking points are stale and boilerplate. Lower taxes, less government.

An epic fail.

by Charles Lemos 2009-02-24 08:52PM | 0 recs
Re: The problem is the audience

"preaching to a shrunken choir" is great coinage.

by TrueBlueMajority 2009-02-25 07:44AM | 0 recs
Hey Brooks

Americans DO like how the stimulus was passed.

by LiberalDebunker 2009-02-25 04:07AM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Piyush Jundal? Really? Is this the best the GOP has? Really? This is like the guy guy who just does'nt get the joke, that he is the joke. The corporate media has been touting this guy as the republican Obama. Really? They've been touting this guy's "personal story" as "inspirational" like Obama's. Really? This guy's parent immigrated from India, under their own accord, and under no apparent duress. Came here, not being completely broke, became DEMOCRATS, allowed their son a perfectly comfortable upbringing (With which was not sufficiently "white enough" for him apparently, hence the name change.) And he was able to express his natural, sublime, capabilities to follow suit without much strss. So how is this as "inspirational" as Obama's story? Please, tell me. Anyway, this is the best the gop has? Really?

by onlinesavant 2009-02-25 05:43AM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

And we  as a party need to take this opportunity to start having the media repeat certain talking points about Jindel so that he is framed as being as much of a bozo & a radical as Micheal Moore has been presented on the opposite end.  People don't really take Moore seriously when he opens his mouth regardless of what he says; we need to seize on this opportunity to do the same with Jindel & then we need to figure out a way to discredit Huckabee.

by jrsygrl 2009-02-25 05:48AM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

I don't know if you can do that to Huckabee so easily - without pissing off a lot of Christians.  Especially as he seems to take all that stuff about helping out the poor seriously - to the point where the GOP leadership doesn't trust him.

Of all the possible Pug candidates in 08, he was the only one I was afraid of.

by Jess81 2009-02-25 08:39AM | 0 recs
I agree

and Huck is quicker on his feet then Jindal.

Jindal really believes this crap, and he unabashedly sells it to any audience.

You're also right, Huck has a problem where he will actually mention stuff like "Jesus was for the poor" which immediately goes against the Republican mantra that if your poor, it's because God hates you, all good Republican Christians are doing well thanks to Supply-Side Jesus!

by WashStateBlue 2009-02-25 09:51AM | 0 recs
Re: I agree

And Huckabee is very marketable to the mainstream low information voter who will find him somehow charming, which is why this needs  to be worked on now.

by jrsygrl 2009-02-25 12:23PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

I'm coming to all of this late--I will view Jindal's speech in a few minutes. But I just couldn't fail to comment on what David Brooks said. Brooks just called the entire agenda (really, the entire philosophy) of the Republican Party "nihilism."

I have had a lot of descriptions that I have used, but I haven't used "nihilism."  It is perfect. The GOP is showing the whole world that they are willing to take this country into economic horror for the sake of their political fortunes and for the sake of their kindergarten economic philosophy. We all should be reinforcing that picture.

by anoregonreader 2009-02-25 08:56AM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

It seems Matthews was upset that Jindal did not give him a "tingle up his leg" like Obama does.

MSNBC screws up, reacts to Bobby Jindal by saying, Oh God

by ihatethemedia 2009-02-25 09:45AM | 0 recs
WARNING: Holy Bejebus, I need some anti-biotics!

Hey man, your website needs a hazardous waste disposal unit and stat!

Warning, click his link at your own risk!

I'm not sure even chemotherapy can clean up the cancer on that site.

Dude, you really need to hang out at Freeper and Redstate, they're your kind of people....

Oh, and you don't need to come here anymore.

We are those evil liberals. Bad, horrible, evil.

Don't come back, really!

by WashStateBlue 2009-02-25 12:36PM | 0 recs
Re: On Bobby Jindal

Jindal is clearly the GOP's attempt to put forward their own version of Barack Obama.  Just like Palin was their attempt at Hillary Clinton.  They lost in both instances.  It's funny to watch them scramble.

The Post Partisan