Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

Interesting numbers out of Florida:

Governor Charlie Crist and former state House Speaker Marco Rubio are now tied in the 2010 race for the Republican Senate nomination in Florida.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of likely GOP Primary voters finds Crist and Rubio each with 43% of the vote. Five percent (5%) prefer another candidate, and nine percent (9%) are undecided.

A month and a half ago, when the Club for Growth began setting its sights on Charlie Crist, I asked how long it would take Charlie Crist to pull a half or full Specter -- that is, pull out of the GOP primary and run either as an Independent or a Democrat. With numbers showing it decreasingly likely that the somewhat moderate Crist can make it out of a GOP primary, decision time might be nearer than we previously thought.

Tags: Charlie Crist, FL-Sen, Florida, Senate 2010 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

Is Rubio electable?  I get the sense that he probably is.

by Steve M 2009-12-15 05:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

Meeks vs Rubio would be even money, maybe Rubio having the slight edge.

by vecky 2009-12-15 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Meeks v Rubio

Rubio gets non-attentive Hispanics, all crackers (Florida slang for redneck) who hate Blacks worser than those damn Cubans, and the Jewish vote, for similar reasons.

Florida is hopeless. Abandon us. Look elsewhere.

by QTG 2009-12-15 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Meeks v Rubio

Please, not another "Jews won't vote for a black man" argument!!

by Steve M 2009-12-15 06:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Meeks v Rubio

You can ignore that argument and still see Rubio winning handily on the first two.He's 'charismatic!', once you see and hear him, you'll know what I mean. Pure Republican Evil.

by QTG 2009-12-16 12:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Meeks v Rubio

Well, that's my concern.  Lots of people on the blogs rooting for the wingnut to win the primary with the assumption that he's some unelectable clown, when in reality it's no bargain.  Not that it really matters who people root for but it's kinda dumb.

I'm not sure Meek is the greatest candidate (I think he's okay) but I'd like to see the Dems get over their phobia of running minority candidates in statewide races.

by Steve M 2009-12-16 04:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

I live about 3 feet above sea level less that 200 yards from Biscayne Bay. The only good thing about Global Climate change is that Florida politics will eventually drown in salt water.

by QTG 2009-12-15 05:51PM | 0 recs
Another Florida Native here

Pinellas county was my ancestral home.

Now I live in The People's Republic of Cambridge, MA.

I changed my sig line, too. Sorry :(

by NoFortunateSon 2009-12-15 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Another Florida Native here

I'll change mine when I find one.

by QTG 2009-12-16 12:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

It is a Rasmussen poll and therefore suspect.

by Lolis 2009-12-15 08:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

Nonetheless, it has two effects. One, people will give Rubio  a second look and two, money from outside the state will pour in.

Rubio is as vacuous as they come but he's young and has those Reaganesque qualities that make conservatives swoon. If he wins this primary and then the Senate seat, I'd expect him to be a Presidential contender in 2016.

by Charles Lemos 2009-12-16 12:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

File that under 'nightmare premonitions'. Spring forward (in your mind) to inauguration day 2016, Rubio and ? are sworn in and the Republicans hold both houses of Congress.... and it's all OBAMA'S FAULT!

by QTG 2009-12-16 12:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

Obama and Rahm.. Obama for being a cautious and somewhat timid politician and Rahm for being such a phony tough guy.  Neither one of these guys has any guts, not where it counts.

by beerwulf 2009-12-16 02:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

But how satisfying it will be! It will be like an ITYS orgy for all of us hard blogging progressive purists. And we can only (what's another word for 'hope'? - that's been ruined!) that the world survives long enough for the next generation of progressives can have there own experience of (what's another phrase for 'fucking things up by eating our own'? - we've worn that one out!).

by QTG 2009-12-16 04:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Time for Crist to Pull a Specter?

We should all remember to thank Erick Erickson for his half-assed work on this project.

by Endymion 2009-12-15 10:01PM | 0 recs
"Pulling a Specter" also now means

running against Obama's war in Afghanistan. Could become all the rage if it works for Specter in his primary.

by fairleft2 2009-12-16 02:23AM | 0 recs