New Mexico's Gary Johnson Raising His 2012 Profile

Gary Johnson, the Libertarian-minded former two-term Governor of New Mexico, is raising his profile as he looks at a possible 2012 run for the GOP presidential nomination. In October, Governor Johnson, who remains popular in the Land of Enchantment but largely unknown outside it, told the Santa Fe New Mexican that he will be launching a political action committee called Our America PAC to promote his libertarian, small-government ideas. He would neither confirm nor deny, however, that he is entertaining a presidential run.

Next month however,  Governor Johnson, who was governor from 1995 to 2003, will also be releasing a book entitled Seven Principles Of Good Government that will be published by The Heartland Institute, a conservative-libertarian think tank. And he intends a speaking tour associated with the release of the book.

Governor Johnson is one of the few public officials who has called the war on drugs a "bust." Meanwhile, there is also a grassroots campaign to draft the former Governor called Johnson for America.

Tags: Gary Johnson, GOP, libertarian, New Mexico Politics, US Election 2012 (all tags)

Comments

Re: New Mexico's Gary Johnson

Just what we need in the White House, another small state waving its Johnson around.

by Steve M 2009-11-12 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: New Mexico's Gary Johnson

Wow, that was unexpected. I haven't heard about him in years. His stand on decriminalization of drugs was pretty courageous. The Ron Paul crowd would assure him massive amounts of money. I have my doubts he can navigate the social conservatives in the caucus, but who knows, that may not matter.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-11-12 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: New Mexico's Gary Johnson

haha:

"It would be a big mistake to assume Johnson has limited appeal and can only hope to poll in the single digits. Never underestimate the power of college kids who want pot legalized. I've seen political science classes erupt into a furor when the topic is mentioned, with students who previously could have passed for a corpse suddenly becoming passionate policy experts, throwing out statistics and eloquent arguments. Their lungs may contain so much smoke that they get high every time they exhale, but their votes count just as much as anyone else's."

http://garyjohnson2012.blogspot.com/2009 /11/pajamas-media-america-heres-your-cha nge.html

That would make for a fun other-worldly election.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-11-12 05:59PM | 0 recs
Re: New Mexico's Gary Johnson

He's worth keeping one's eye on.

I'll give him this, he's right on the drug wars. My problem with the limited government credo is that our problems aren't so limited.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-12 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: New Mexico's Gary Johnson

He's also, surprisingly, right on abortion. I don't see how he could win over the social conservatives. I was chatting with a friend yesterday, who thinks Rick Perry (against TARP) is positioning to run in '12. I think hes too fake to have a shot.

But a candidate that comes out against TARP, against the ME occupation, is pro-legalization, is socially liberal, hawkish on spending... I think that's the pulse of the country right now.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-11-13 04:30AM | 0 recs
Re: New Mexico's Gary Johnson

The country has a pulse? Seems pretty lifeless to me.

All kidding aside, I think you're right on the mood of the country.

Perry the other day doubled down on the Tea Parties. Called for more and larger ones to stop the arrival of socialism in the US. I'm guessing that he has never been to North Dakota. I just can't believe that politicians are that ignorant of US history.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-13 07:42AM | 0 recs