No Surprise: US Backs Obama Not GOP on Healthcare

The numbers from Gallup:

Must be great news for Republicans!

Tags: 111th Congress, healthcare reform (all tags)

Comments

Re: No Surprise:
But, but, but... Inside the beltway polticians are NOT in synch with Americans.  ESPECIALLY OBAMA! OMGWTFBBQ!11!11eleventy.
</snark>
by lojasmo 2009-10-28 11:08AM | 0 recs
Big Business against Public Option

And this doesnt bode well for a Public Option being included. These are powerhouse corporations employeeing millions of Americans...and unfortunately likely giving millions collectively in campaign finance money. Between this and the pressure from moderates, I dont think they are going to get this thing thru as is.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2009-10-28 11:28AM | 0 recs

I like Sullivan's take on it:

"The poll also suggests that Obama could make a difference on the public option.

If he wanted to ..."

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 11:29AM | 0 recs
and if a lousy bill

with no public option passes, and Obama hails it as   comprehensive health care reform, it really will be great news for Republicans. He has created sky-high expectations for this and should be working to get the very best bill possible.

by desmoinesdem 2009-10-28 11:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

So, as is the normal case, it is greeted with a mixture of disgust, dismay, gloom, despair, and most importantly - disgust. It's why I love this place.

by QTG 2009-10-28 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

You may love the mixed emotions this news brings, but I don't. This should be treated as good news in some way, but no, once the Blog Birchers get their pony, they insist on a dental exam.

by spirowasright 2009-10-28 12:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

and as usual, we can't ask that Obama use his popularity for the betterment of the country instead of trying to preserve his bipartisan image, without people accusing us of being "disgusted" and gloomy"

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

"asking" on a board like this is a monumental waste of time.  I'd suggest picking up the damn phone and calling your congressperson.

by lojasmo 2009-10-28 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

and telling me that my post on the message board is a waste of time is itself a waste of time. Good one.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:25PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

I FAIL to read between the lines!

"I dont think they are going to get this thing thru as is."
means Those numbers are very encouraging!

I like Sullivan's take on it:
If he wanted to ..."

means Those numbers are very promising!

"and if a lousy bill with no public option passes, and Obama hails it as   comprehensive health care reform, it really will be great news for Republicans."

means Great Numbers, Yes We Can!

Silly me.

by QTG 2009-10-28 01:38PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

Obviously, we are taking these numbers to confirm that a significant opportunity exists for Obama to use his personal popularity for the advancement of real health care reform. That's an inherently positive interpretation of the poll numbers, I would think.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:48PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

That's what I said. It was my problem.

by QTG 2009-10-28 01:51PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

ok, i thought that

"The poll also suggests that Obama could make a difference on the public option"

could be read as

without having to read between the lines.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:55PM | 0 recs
Re: No you didn't!

You left off the happiest part, and you did it on purpose.. you rascal!

If he wanted to ..."

And we all know that shiftless skunk doesn't want to, don't we?  but in a happy way!

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:04PM | 0 recs
Re: No you didn't!

i left it off because it doesn't pertain to your question regarding interpreting the poll data in a gloomy manner.

there was no "reading between the lines" to see that i (and Sullivan) were interpreting the data as an opportunity for Obama to make a difference.

That is not "disgusted" by the polling data, no matter how much you want to twist the words to fit your preconceived notions.

on a side note, I'm a bit surprised about how i'm getting jumped on and picked at so much for the post.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 02:14PM | 0 recs
Re: No you didn't!

I think we're done here. Back to the celebration of those great numbers! Glad we cleared up the misunderstandings.

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:16PM | 0 recs
Re: No you didn't!

I think we are done here, since it's obvious that it is completely unacceptable to perceive an opportunity for the President to get real reform and express an opinion that he doesn't seem to be doing so to the fullest extent possible.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Well

I don't find it unacceptable, I find it, how should I say this... it lacks a certain something.
 I posted a powerful explanation made by our friend dracomicron who did a marvelous job of addressing the very issue you have raised.

Here's the link. Let me know what you think.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2009/10/28/132 628/77

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

Empirically, that is not the case.  Clinton pushed HARD for reform, and the support numbers never got close to what we have now...and it failed.

by lojasmo 2009-10-28 01:52PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

two comments on that:

1) for that to be conclusive of anything, the situations would have to be the same in the mid-90's and now. For a number of reasons, they are not. (i could list a few reasons, if you want)

2) your faulty logic could also be used to show why NOT coming out hard for it would be a failure. There have been MANY other presidents who DID NOT push hard for reform, and that not pushing hard for it resulted in not getting it.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:59PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

I could list THE ONE!

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:09PM | 0 recs
Re: I see my problem,

There is no data from the study which supports the idea that a push from Obama would increase support.  That was editorialization on the part of the author.

by lojasmo 2009-10-28 04:06PM | 0 recs
editorialization on the part of the author?

But so full of truthiness!

by QTG 2009-10-28 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

I'm not the one who seems to be under the impression that it's at all productive.

by lojasmo 2009-10-28 01:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

how is my posting something meaning I see it as productive while you posting something is not meaning that you see it as productive?

what am i missing here? did i forget about some statement i made about how my post was suppose to change the world? or are you just trying to get a dig in on me because you didn't like my post?

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:53PM | 0 recs
Re: FWIW

I loved your post.

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Good News!

I'm really happy for you, and I'm gonna let you finish, but QTG had the best post OF ALL TIME.

by lojasmo 2009-10-28 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Ok, I'll listen

What words would you use to describe the general reaction to these numbers, then? Descriptive words, you know, not some Rant about how lame I am.

by QTG 2009-10-28 01:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Ok, I'll listen

the reaction is a confirmation of the viewpoint that Obama has the public's support and therefore has the best chance of helping the country if he uses his popularity to push for quality reform.

It's incredibly cynical and pessimistic of YOU to interpret that as being disgusted and gloomy that the President has pretty good numbers.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Ok, I'll listen

If you would like the President to do more, then you are a hater.  We have covered this point repeatedly.

by Steve M 2009-10-28 01:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Ok, I'll listen

If you take good news about how the Public Option is polling, how the Democrats in Congress are polling, and how badly the Republicans are polling and respond that Obama isn't doing enough - no, that's not it - that Obama doesn't want to do enough....

Then that is something. I didn't say it. I'll take YOUR word for it.

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Ok, I'll listen

My post clearly showed that I am happy the numbers show an opportunity to get something done.

But I guess it is unacceptable to express my feeling that the President isn't adequately taking advantage of that opportunity because of the political tradeoffs it presents.

by jeopardy 2009-10-28 02:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Ok, I'll listen

I used to think good poll numbers indicated an opportunity to do something good, but now I see you are right that it is better just to see them as an end in themselves.  All that really matters is that I like Obama, and the public likes Obama, so it's a happy joyous day of love.

by Steve M 2009-10-28 02:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Steve

neither of us is doing anything but typing posts on MyDD at the moment. You don't know what else I do (or donate), and I don't know what else you do (or donate). It's unfair to assume my basic optimism and crusade against unwarranted doom means that I don't take action to support progresive causes.

And I know you aren't a mean person. Please don't accuse me, even tangentially. It hurts my feelings.

by QTG 2009-10-28 02:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Steve

I said that you were right.  It hurts to see you reject my outstretched hand like that.

by Steve M 2009-10-28 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Steve

I'll forgive you this time. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to live in a cyberworld where a few happy optimistic Liberals keep killing the buzz.

by QTG 2009-10-28 03:05PM | 0 recs
Re: No Surprise: US Backs Obama

No surprise, women swung this group in favor of the Obama health care reform. The public was disfavorable over the summer, but the women moved in a more favorable direction.  I think the GOP made a mistake when they opposed this, by getting the women's group to see the attacks on Obama and it backfired on them and showed what the GOP was really up not health care reform

by olawakandi 2009-10-28 12:14PM | 0 recs
Actually, this is great news for Republicans.

At the close of your post you stated sarcastically "Must be great news for Republicans!"

Actually, I think it actually is pretty good news for Republicans.  Any rational person should be in favor of a robust public option.  Thus, Obama's plan should be in the 70% approval range on this issue.  Yet he is only at the 55% range.  This points out just how easily the American people can be snookered by a rather well oiled Republican propaganda machine.

They should be proud.

by prius04 2009-10-28 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Actually, this is great news for Republicans.

You think 70% of Americans are rational?  I seem to recall 70% of Americans thought Hussein was responsible for 9-11.

by lojasmo 2009-10-28 04:12PM | 0 recs