It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

According to the New York Post, Gov. unemployed quitter pundit Sarah Palin is having a hard time finding work on the lecture circuit because most groups that pay for big name speakers -- businesses, conferences, universities, etc. -- think she's a "blithering idiot" and are afraid of the effect she would have on their reputation among professionals.

Sarah Palin is said to have pocketed a $7 million advance for the 400-page memoir she turned in four months early, but she might not have such an easy time on the lecture circuit.

After quitting as governor of Alaska in July, Palin signed with the top-notch Washington Speakers Bureau, which also reps George W. Bush, Laura Bush, Condoleezza Rice, hero pilot Chesley Sullenberger, LA Dodgers manager Joe Torre and magician David Blaine.

Palin's bookers are said to be asking for $100,000 per speech, but an industry expert tells Page Six: "The big lecture buyers in the US are paralyzed with fear about booking her, basically because they think she is a blithering idiot."...

"Palin is so uninteresting to so many groups -- unless they are interested in moose hunting," said our insider. "What does she have to say? She can't even describe what she reads."

Thankfully, Mrs. Foreign-Policy-Cred-Means-Seeing-Other-Countries-From-Far-Away may not have much of a political future. My own line of thought has been that in a 2012 GOP primary, she and Mike Huckabee would split the "populist fundamentalist" vote (Jeff Sharlett's term for the Religious Right), leaving a Pawlenty or Romney to take the nomination. And now there's this: Huckabee trounced her in the Values Voter Summit strawpoll. He took 28% while she was left in a Joe Lieberman-style three way tie for second with Pawlenty and Romney at 12%. It's extremely early and this is just a straw poll, but it's also a straw poll among her Carrie Prejean-Phyllis Schlafly-James Dobson base. Maybe I was wrong; maybe the Stephen Baldwins of the world DO know that talking about Iraq when you can't explain the Bush Doctrine is not the best qualification for head-of-state...

On this day of all days, however, I do want to say one thing for the Palins: unlike most conservative families, they really are sacrificing for the wars they support, and I give thanks for Track's safe return from Iraq. I give this thanks in part because I'm heading to California in a few hours for my baby brother's graduation from Marine boot camp. Semper Fi.

Cross-posted from Blue Moose Democrat.

Tags: Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, Values Voters Summit (all tags)

Comments

Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

Best of luck to your brother.

by judybrowni 2009-10-01 10:01AM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

I don't know about that.  On my way to work today the person in front of me had a Palin/Nugent, 2012 sticker on the window.  When I got to work I checked out the web for it and sure enough there are actually people that want her and him on the ticket...and they are absolutely sure that it will drive us Libs crazy...They even started a FB page.  Yeah, wow.

by krwheaton 2009-10-01 10:21AM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

Well, sure. She got a full 12% in the strawpoll. Those 12% do have bumperstickers and do start Facebook groups. The issue is, there's more money, more infrastructure, and possibly even more committed early volunteers and voters for some of the other candidates, particularly Huckabee and Romney. I mean, does the fact that there are people who want a rocker for VP actually mean there's any chance that a rocker will indeed be VP in just four years? Of course not, there are people out there who want anything you can name. There just aren't enough of them to elect that thing or person.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-10-01 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

I think it is likely that the Hick will get the 2012 nomination. He's got intelligence, charm, and just the right level of derangement to be acceptable.  But it is quite possible that Palin would get the VP spot again.

by Bob H 2009-10-01 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

There's no way the two run together. It's bad politics - you'd want two different nominees to appeal to two different segments of the party.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-10-01 10:56AM | 0 recs
I think it'll be Romney

GOP nominees tend to be the person whose "turn" it is, and the big-business wing of the GOP absolutely hated Huckabee in the last primary.

by JJE 2009-10-01 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

This is wishful thinking unfortunately:
http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-10-01/ lifestyle/colleen-oconnor-palin-keep-on- honking-im-reloading

It reminds me of the posters here who thought Palin heading into Georgia for the post-'09 Senate run-off sealed the deal for the Democrat.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-10-01 11:30AM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

And I agree that it was a brilliant move (her resigning)-- for someone that wanted to ditch being a real politician and just play one, banking on the publicity while being a propagandist. While she will never run again for office, she will tease all the way to the bank, and draw up huge audiences and media-- all the while cashing it in.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-10-01 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: It's All Downhill For Sarah Palin

Reminds me of a line I cut in editing: "The best she can hope for is to be the next Sean Hannity."

by Nathan Empsall 2009-10-01 11:59AM | 0 recs