Bush 2012? Bush 2016?

Think Progress has the tape of George H.W. Bush making the pitch for another Bush presidency:

Here's the transcript:

CHRIS WALLACE: So in terms -- I understand you're saying it's up to him, but in terms of public service and ability to help the country, you'd like to see him run.

GEORGE .H.W. BUSH: I'd like to see him run. I'd like to see him be president some day.

WALLACE: Really?

BUSH: Or maybe senator. Whatever. Yes, I would. I mean, right now is probably a bad time, because we've had enough Bushes in there. But no, I would. And I think he's as qualified and able as anyone I know on the political scene. Now, you've got to discount that. He's my son. He's my son that I love.

I have written about this before, but it would be a real problem for Republicans to go back to the Bush well -- especially so soon. George W. Bush's approval rating still sits at or below 30 percent, and over the last four years of the current Bush administration, Republicans have lost close to 60 House seats, 13 Senate seats, seven Governorships, a great number of state legislatures. What's more, as Matthew Yglesias notes, George H.W. Bush's 37.45 percent of the popular vote in 1992, which was "slightly less than George McGovern," was the worst showing for a major party candidate in 80 years.

Does that mean that I don't want to see the Republicans go back and nominate Jeb Bush in four or eight years? Of course not, because I think such a move would be great for the Democrats as it would reinforce the notion that the GOP is the party of the past while the Democratic Party of the future. But if they do choose as their standard-bearer another Bush in 2012 or 2016, they can't say I didn't warn them.

Tags: Bush Clan, Jeb Bush (all tags)

Comments

And people think

the Clintons think they're "entitled." Hello! the Bushes, who both ended their Presidencies highly unpopular actually have the nerve to ask for a fourth term or even fifth. WOW. Some people. They wish they could be monarchs. Sometimes when I see Prince Phillip of England, I think to myself "Bush Sr. wishes that were him."

by Lakrosse 2009-01-04 08:47PM | 0 recs
Re: And people think

This goes to show that the ugly Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton was only a brief interruption in the dynasty. It's always been the Bush's--so, if Hillary wants to decide to run again. I hope the media and naysayers would be as mum regarding her as they are concerning Jeb.

by Check077 2009-01-05 05:35AM | 0 recs
The Clintons are no "dynasty".

they CARE about America, and legit think they can do a good job, and Bill did a great one. He was approved of by the American people, the Bushes were not. I'm in no way likening them to the Bushes. There is a difference.

by Lakrosse 2009-01-05 07:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Clintons are no "dynasty".

Lakrosse, I've talked with you before and we always have come to a mutual agreement doing our conversations. Moreover, I'll like to point out that my response was more to people on this site that promoting deleterious information {believe you me--they know who they are}.

It was the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton dynasty attacks throughout the entire primaries and beyond.

I guess, now, the Kennedy's (although Caroline was not as bombastic as Teddy Roosevelt) are finding out just what it means to have a backlash from Hillary's constituents in New York.

by Check077 2009-01-09 11:53AM | 0 recs
Two words

Screw that.

by Spiffarino 2009-01-04 09:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Bush 2012? Bush 2016?

And the gall of all this is that Jeb intends  to run as a "limited government" Republican.

I'm pretty sure that a Senate run is a done deal.

by Charles Lemos 2009-01-04 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Bush 2012? Bush 2016?

He will be the fav but I think he's beatable.

His race NEEDS to be the number one target in 2010, especially if Sink runs.   If we can defeat Jeb now, we can put off his ability to run.

by yitbos96bb 2009-01-05 04:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Bush 2012? Bush 2016?

Hmm... Not sure I agree.   A 2012 Jeb doesn't worry me unless Obama's ratings are in the toilet.

A 2016 Jeb with no VP running worries me a bit more.  People seem to forget stuff 8 years later... that worries me.

by yitbos96bb 2009-01-05 04:56AM | 0 recs