The Progressive Senate agenda

I was at the progressive media summit yesterday, learning about the agenda of the Democratic Senators. About 20 of them showed up to take questions over the 5 hours. If I had to sum it up in one word: ambitious.

I recall last year, attending, that the atmosphere was much different. Then, all about stopping Bush; now, a huge agenda of things to do. And promises galore.

Ron Wyden, Universal healthcare-- Kennedy's bill. Harry Reid, Immigration Reform this year; EFCA "still a few more votes for cloture" but this summer. Sherod Brown, Universal healthcare, local green electricity. Byron Dorgan, a national "smart grid" for electricity. Jeff Bingaman, Cap and Trade this cycle. Chuck Schumer, local water/sewer upgrades nationally. Tom Udall, serious start to getting off oil. Jon Tester, all the stimulus to infrastructure jobs (including green).

Hey, lets dream.

Let me just add that Bernie Sanders is to be the conscience of Democrats on going deeper into Afghanistan.

Bob Menendez is upbeat about Kentucky (LT Gov Mongiardo or AG Conway are at a crossroads), but not so much about Florida yet, with Sink dropping out. Yes, I encouraged Alan Grayson to run for the Senate in Florida at the Netroots Nation party on Monday night. Brian Moran also attended the Netroots Nation party in Arlington, while Terry McAuliffe opted to go to the DC-based Huffington Post party instead. I went to both. Walking into DC across the mall, the capital had an Obama night glow. After rubbing elbows with Sting, and getting to say hi to Professor Cornell West, I walked up Penn Ave afterward-- so glad that it was Bush's last night in the White House.

He's gone. I hope we have a good 12 years of Democratic trifecta control to get right the problems he left behind.

Tags: 2009 (all tags)

Comments

Re: The Progressive Senate agenda

I really hope Universal healthcare is implemented and it's interesting to hear the differences in tone and in substance compared to the last administration. It feels so good to have Bush gone.

by canadian 2009-01-22 03:23AM | 0 recs
Jerome

I think your comments on the Florida Senate race and the thoughts of national dems is telling.  Kendrick Meeks is a solid candidate and he is currently running yet it appears that the white democratic establishment will once again not support a black candidate for statewide office.

I don't really care for Bobby Rush but he has a point about white democrats and your comments and the reactions from others yesterday just proves it.

You should be ashamed.

by sweet potato pie 2009-01-22 04:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome

Skin color has nothing to do with it; you've been warned before to knock off the racist baiting I see, get a clue or go away.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-01-22 06:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome

Artur Davis made this point on MSNBC the other day that he would thinks that with the election of Obama he would like to see democrats get out of the "blacks can't win statewide" mindset and do things to encourage their success.

I am not being a "race-baiter"  but am pointing out a fact. If you cannot handle the facts, then go ahead and ban me and prove my point.

by sweet potato pie 2009-01-22 06:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome

by sweet potato pie 2009-01-22 06:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome
Its not a fact at all. Its your view point, as one who views the world as one full of racists and those who see the world as you do. You can come back and sign up under your real name, to hold some accountability to your reckless accusations, if you'd like. Later.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-01-22 06:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome

Count me as one who thinks the concern is legitimate.

If the Democratic Party thinks Kendrick Meek is a bad candidate to run statewide and they need to find someone else, I'm interested to hear the reason why.  Here in New York whenever someone brings up a black or Hispanic candidate from NYC, someone always says "I'm not sure he/she can win statewide."

That doesn't mean you're racist, it doesn't mean the Democratic establishment in Florida is racist.  It does mean that I wonder whether those Democrats are making assumptions about Meek's electability based on his race, assumptions that it would probably be smart for us to revisit in light of what just happened this past election.

Do you know what the specific issues are that the Democratic establishment has with getting behind Congressman Meek?  I'd personally think he would be a very good candidate.

by Steve M 2009-01-22 07:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome

I'm also raising an issue that the progressive blogosphere has chosen to ignore.

by sweet potato pie 2009-01-22 06:47AM | 0 recs
Re: The Progressive Senate agenda

I think the drinking water / water treatment plant issue is extremely underplayed right now.  I heard an estimate several years ago that we needed about $11 billion to repair the water infrastructure in this country.  That doesn't sound like quite as much money these days.  This would create jobs, improve public health (or at least prevent backsliding), encourage technological development, help us get in front of emerging nanopollution, and we'd have good water infrastructure when it was all done.  Plus, water is almost certain to emerge as the next oil in the future.  Better we start getting ready for this now.

by the mollusk 2009-01-22 05:32AM | 0 recs
"Jeff Bingham"

Should be Bingaman of NM, right?

by username 2009-01-22 07:58AM | 0 recs
Re: "Jeff Bingham"

That's what I was thinking. Both NM Senators were there, it appears. Bingaman and Udall.

by fbihop 2009-01-22 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: "Jeff Bingham"

But hey, Jerome has been phoning it in since Our Girl conceded (a mere 4 months after she lost).  As an NM (well, Los Alamos) expat, I enjoy your blog.

by username 2009-01-23 05:41PM | 0 recs