Senator Murkowski Seeks Pardon for Convicted Felon Ted Stevens

Michael Brumas, the Communications Director for Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski, confirmed to the Anchorage Daily News that her office is seeking a Presidential Pardon for convicted felon Ted Stevens.

With less than 48 hours left of the Bush presidency, U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski's spokesman said today that Murkowski had asked the White House to pardon the former senior senator of Alaska, [convicted felon] Ted Stevens. Michael Brumas, Murkowski's communications director, said the pardon request was made earlier this month. He declined to give other details, including whether Stevens himself wanted the pardon and had asked Murkowski to pursue it on his behalf. "It's just a very sensitive issue and a sensitive time - a couple days left," Brumas said. "We're just not saying anything more."

I guess the only surprise is that it isn't Senator Daniel Inouye behind the move to pardon convicted felon Ted Stevens.

Former Senator and convicted felon Stevens, the longest-serving Republican Senator in history,  was convicted in Washington DC on October 27, 2008 of seven felony charges for failing to disclose gifts and services he received from 2000 to 2006. He narrowly lost re-election to Democrat Mark Begich, the former Mayor of Anchorage.

If I were a betting man, and I am not, I'd say it seems likely that convicted felon Stevens will be pardoned. I'll say it one more time for nostalgia's sake because I will miss saying it, convicted felon Ted Stevens. Pardoned or not, that's how I'll remember him.

Tags: Presidential Pardons, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Ted Stevens (all tags)

Comments

Re: Senator Murkowski Seeks Pardon

I live in a betting State and I'm willing to bet he gets it.  After Scooter Libby, it has become a race to get convicted so you could get pardoned by BushCo before he leaves.

I can only hope that with this new administration, they are the lucky ones, and the Obama Administration will subsequently investigate and enforce.

However, I fear that the Obama Administration will ignore and evade, in the 'spirit' of being bipartisan.  (Hint: Being bipartisan is good only to a point and no further.  Beyond that point, being partisan has greater rewards.)

by NvDem 2009-01-18 07:05PM | 0 recs
Not sure he needs it

With the way the feds botched the trial, I think Stevens has a good chance of winning his appeal. I can't remember the last time I saw a case that should have been a slam dunk handled that badly.

by Angry White Democrat 2009-01-18 09:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Murkowski Seeks Pardon

I am betting against there being any controversial pardons between now and Tuesday.  Bush seems very, very concerned about his legacy, to the point where we're hearing stories every 5 minutes about how classy he is being towards Obama during the transition.  But I guess we'll see.

by Steve M 2009-01-18 10:51PM | 0 recs
If there were to be a pardon

of convicted felon Ted Stevens, the paperwork already would have to be done.  Most of the Prince Jackass's staff have the day off and already have turned in their security credential to get into the White House.

by Beltway Dem 2009-01-19 02:14AM | 0 recs
This would be just as bad...

...as the Marc Rich pardon, perhaps worse. I don't even know if Rich was convicted, since he may have become a fugitive before facing trial.

If Stevens thinks he can have his conviction overturned, he should opt for that. Otherwise, his name will always be a disgrace.

by existenz 2009-01-18 11:47PM | 0 recs
Prosecute or not?

I know how badly we want to prosecute the uncountable number of crimes committed by the Bush administration. I wish we could have some sort of accountability (such as the congress doing its job the last two years).

But, we literally could be doing it non-stop for the next 4 years. Doing so would have the public wondering if Obama is more focused on revenge and the past, or solving our amazing problems of today. He has the spend the next 4 years just cleaning up the messes of the Bush administration (economy, 2 wars, Gaza, environment, etc) even before he can start thinking about his own agenda. So, perhaps Obama is right to focus on clean up and the future, rather than diverting attention on prosecution.

by Hilina 2009-01-19 07:28AM | 0 recs