Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

I'm shocked -- shocked -- to find that Mike Bloomberg is just a political opportunist who only left the Republican Party to set himself up for a potential independent run for the Presidency in 2008.

Mayor Bloomberg has begun reaching out to city Republican leaders to gauge whether he could run on the GOP line in his re-election bid this year, several sources told The Post.

The maneuvering began in the past two weeks, and sources said the mayor is expected to try to run on a major-party as well as a third-party line, likely one of his own creation.

Several sources said Bloomberg's political aides have started reaching out to GOP chairs in the five boroughs, including Manhattan's Jennifer Saul.

When the DLCers were talking up and even helping organize Bloomberg's potential independent bid for the Presidency, I spoke out, largely because it's wrong for Democrats to support the presidential ambitions of non-Democratic candidates (even ones who previously hailed from the party, only to bolt because it would be easier to be nominated and become mayor of New York City as a Republican than as a Democrat). Additionally, though, it seemed to me at the time -- a sense that panned out long ago, even before today's news, when it became clear that he would continue to support the Republican Party even as an independent -- that Bloomberg was not really leaving the GOP, only trying to make it appear as though he was making such a move. Now, with Bloomberg reportedly angling for the GOP nod for mayor this year, his real intentions have become that much more clear. No wonder, then, it was this type of support Bloomberg was earning in his abortive Presidential run.

Tags: GOP, Michael Bloomberg, New York City, NY-Mayor (all tags)

Comments

And Caroline Kennedy supports this guy

That should be reason enough to disqualify her as a Dem Senator.

by ann0nymous 2009-01-10 04:25AM | 0 recs
Re: And Caroline Kennedy supports this guy

Bingo.

by desmoinesdem 2009-01-10 04:27AM | 0 recs
Re: And Caroline Kennedy supports this guy

Yep. Came to realize that recently.

by mole333 2009-01-10 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

It's actually not so unusual in New York politics for someone to want to run on as many lines as they can.  I mean, I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but I think there's a nuance of local politics that's going unappreciated.

by Steve M 2009-01-10 04:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

That is true.  Didn't Ed Koch run as the Liberal, Democratic and Republican candidate at one time?

by realtarheel 2009-01-10 05:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Giuliani ran on the Liberal and Republican Party ballot lines, too.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Bloomberg try to get the Democratic line as well.

by Vox Populi 2009-01-10 05:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Bloomberg is not going to get the Dem nomination.  There will be a spirited primary between City Comptroller Bill Thompson and Congressman Anthony Weiner.  I hope Thompson wins - he would be a good candidate against Bloomberg.

by jmnyc 2009-01-10 07:32AM | 0 recs
Exactly

I have never voted for Bloomberg but this is very common in NY.  There is a law known as Wilson-Pakula which allows people to run on multiple party lines and have the votes tallied together.  There is no doubt that Bloomberg is a total opportunist but this really isn't as big a deal as it sounds.

Incidentally, Bloomberg could be vulnerable if City Comptroller Bill Thompson gets the Dem nomination.  He would be the first truly good candidate the Dems have had since losing the Mayoralty in 1993.

I think Anthony Weiner will get his head handed to him, especially after the NY Times article showing how he can't hold onto staff in his Congressional office.  If you can't manage a staff of 18 people effectively, how is he going to manage a city with 300K employees?

by jmnyc 2009-01-10 07:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Exactly

I voted for Weiner in the 2005 primary but I've heard nothing but bad things about him since.  Thompson seems like a much better candidate.

by Steve M 2009-01-10 10:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Bloomberg does a good job as NY mayor... so whats the problem?

by obama4presidente 2009-01-10 05:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Really? You could have fooled me. He sure hasn't helped the economic meltdown any. And he showers money on developers while shutting down firehouses. His outsourcing of our education system led to a massive fiasco in pre-K registration, and in my neighborhood pre-K is being cut altogether. The applications process for Middle School have become worse than applying for college with interviews, tours, tests and essays...for MIDDLE SCHOOL!

I think his 311 idea was brilliant and I like his smoking ban. Beyond that he's been mediocre to outright bad.

by mole333 2009-01-10 01:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Then I'm sure he'll be voted out right?

My guess is he will overwhelmingly win reelection...we'll see...

by obama4presidente 2009-01-10 01:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

So you must think Bush did a good job because he won re-election, I guess. Bloomberg's money might have some influence, don't you think?

But hopefully he WILL be voted out. But I never underestimate the ability of the left to divide and conquer itself to failure.

by mole333 2009-01-10 01:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

I think Bloomberg has done well and will be reelected..it won't be close like Bush... And lets be honest: Kerry ran a pretty bad campaign...

I like Bloomberg.. Sorry you don't! Like I said: if he's so awful I'm sure he'll lose. Its NYC after all.

by obama4presidente 2009-01-10 03:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Well, he lost me with his closing of too many firehouses, calling those of us who protested the Republican Convention "terrorists" and illegally detaining many protesters, and with the horrific Middle School application process we had to go through with my daughter. And I have seen absolutely no action from him regarding the economic crisis other than closing yet more firehouses!

And, of course, I have found his favoring developers over communities disgusting, but he is not alone in that.

by mole333 2009-01-11 05:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Let's not forget his huge give away to the Yankees and to a lesser extent the Mets, and his atrocious behavior during the Republican convention.

by orestes 2009-01-10 05:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Agreed with above comments that this is not a gesture of ideology, but an predictable tactic to edge out challengers.

In a fusion system like NY you get on as many lines as possible. There were candidates last year on the Democratic and Republican lines.

by JoeFelice 2009-01-10 10:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Sure, but his privatizing our education system (usually helping his friends in the process) sure seems Republican. And he was the biggest individual donor to Tom DeLay's PAC before DeLay imploded. At what point does cynical manouvering become just as bad as conservative ideology?

by mole333 2009-01-10 01:15PM | 0 recs
2009 elections

2009 is our chance for grassroots wins in NYC. I am seeing some good signs that MIGHT (if we don't mess it up...again) lead to some big wins. WFP is flexing its muscles (e.g. the Dan Squadron win) and though I don't always agree with them (in fact I got called a "machine hack" by one of their people recently), I have the feeling I will this year. I think WFP may work with Anthony Weiner, though I don't think that's definite by any means. The Obama organization is still largely intact, at least in Brooklyn. And people are really, really pissed about the Bloomberg Termlimits Putch.

I have a rundown of some of the candidates I am eyeing for 2009 here and here (among a discussion of many other NY State issues and groups). I also discuss some candidates running for City Council here (educators running) and here (law enforcement people running).

by mole333 2009-01-10 01:23PM | 0 recs
Re: 2009 elections

I used to like Weiner but after that article in the NY Times I have come to the realization Mayor is not the job for him.  Part of being a strong manager, a key to being a successful Mayor, is having the ability to hold onto and cultivate staff.  Weiner can't do that with a staff of 18 as a member of Congress.  How is he going to do that with 300K employees?

For my money, Bill Thompson is a stronger candidate with broader appeal than Weiner.  That is who I plan to support.

by jmnyc 2009-01-10 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: 2009 elections

Well...I am fine with Thompson as well. I am just less convinced he has the backing to win. But I have friends who disagree.

Weiner is not nice to work for, from what I hear. But he wouldn't be the first successful politician to be, shall we say, not so nice. He has a knack with the public which I got to see first hand last time around. And I think his candidacy this time around will be part of a big push for WFP and Schumer. But it's early. I have always felt Weiner was a bit too conservative for me. But I also think he'd be a good mayor.

We'll see. I am prepared to back Thompson if I think he has a shot. But now I see Weiner as having a better shot and I personally have more confidence in his ability to be an effective mayor. In fact, it seems like mayor of NYC needs a touch of an asshole attitude from what I have seen.

by mole333 2009-01-11 05:28AM | 0 recs
Re: 2009 elections

There is a difference b/w being tough and a bit assholish as a boss and being impossible to work for.  Having worked for elected officials, I know anyone who has the kind of turnover Weiner does is clearly a micro-manager and impossible to work for.  These are sought after jobs, especially for a guy who has a shot to be Mayor, so if people leave on avg in a year or less something is seriously wrong.  You can get away with constant turnover as a Congressman or even a Senator b/c these are legislative jobs.

Executives have to be able to delegate and be strong managers.  Weiner's inability to hold onto people tells me that he is not a strong manager and that he can't delegate, which is key since the Mayor can't do everything.

One other problem I see with Weiner.  How does he attract minority support if he beats Thompson in a primary?  Bloomberg, unlike Giuliani, has a solid base in the African American and Latino communities.  There is no incentive for them to support Weiner over Bloomberg.  Thompson, on the other hand, should run strongly in those communities and like Obama could attract support amongst white voters.

I think beating Bloomberg is an uphill fight but I see how Thompson puts together a coalition to do it.  I don't see how Weiner does.

by jmnyc 2009-01-11 03:36PM | 0 recs
Re: 2009 elections

Well...my fear is that Thompson has all the charisma of Freddie Ferrer. I mean I am pretty sure I agree with Thompson more. But we went the Ferrer route over the Weiner route vs. Bloomberg last time around and it failed miserably. My impression of Thompson is that he comes off like (may not BE like, mind you, but comes off like) Ferrer. If he comes off more like an Obama (unlikely!) or, if I may draw from my California past, like a Tom Bradley or Loretta Sanchez, or someone more dynamic, I am very open to him. So far I don't see that, though.

by mole333 2009-01-26 04:40PM | 0 recs
Does any Democrat have a chance?

Against Bloomberg?  I know its a heavily Democratic city, but Bloomberg won pretty big in 2005.

by Kent 2009-01-10 08:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Does any Democrat have a chance?

Weiner will have some good backing and came off looking good last time around. I think he has a good shot if all the ducks I think are lining up behind him really do line up.

Thompson is seen as having a good shot as well, but I fear a Ferrer-like disaster. But I am open to Thompson. My initial impressions of candidates aren't always acurate until I actually meet them or hear them in person. I didn't like Howard Dean until I heard him live! So I so far don't feel Thompson has a good shot, but many disagree with me.

Other than Weiner and Thompson, I am so far unconvinced that anyone has a shot. But you never know.

by mole333 2009-01-11 05:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

I wonder how salient an issue the overturning of term limits will turn out to be.  If Bloomberg does edge back towards the Republicans then it might be enough to pull some Dems back home.

by Skaje 2009-01-11 12:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg Edging Back Towards the GOP

Here's one view on this. I think by the time of the election, it will be largely forgotten. But it has been a blow to his popularity. And the Republican brand is pretty ruined in NY State in general, so I think being Repub would hurt him now.

by mole333 2009-01-11 05:31AM | 0 recs