Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Via Ben Smith:

"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said as the crowd cheered. "It's still a pig."

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink."

"We've had enough of the same old thing."

This ought to be a good viral video.

Update [2008-9-9 19:34:31 by Josh Orton]: The McCain campaign is using their inaugural "truthsquad" call to feign outrage and pretend that somehow this comment was a reference to Palin's acceptance joke about pitbulls. Please. No one's really taking it seriously. As Ambinder points out:

Suddenly, common analogies are sexist? The McCain campaign has little respect for Obama, but they don't think he is stupid. And the only way one can conclude that Obama meant to refer to Gov. Sarah Palin as a pig is to have concluded that Obama is as dumb as a doornail.
And let's not forget John McCain a year ago, commenting on Hillary Clinton's health care proposal:
"I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," he said of her proposal.

Update [2008-9-9 19:59:35 by Jerome Armstrong]: Via Jake Tapper, Obama senior adviser Robert Gibbs insists the senator was not referring to Palin. "That's an old expression," Gibbs says. It is, but unless the Obama campaign does what Josh writes about above, they will be on the defensive over it.

Update [2008-9-9 23:28:27 by Jerome Armstrong]:Obama Camp Response:

“Enough is enough. The Mc Cain campaign’s attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy – the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s health care plan just last year. This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run,” said Obama campaign senior advisor Anita Dunn.

Tags: 2008 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

so is he calling Palin/McCain a pig and an old fish?

lol look for cries of sexism? I guess? I dunno but man is this election going to get real real nasty.

Ironic early in the year I said, a race between Obama and McCain would show a new age of politics,

now I think its going to be the nastiest yet.

and at this point we democrats have to accept it and fight back, we saw in 2004 what happens when we take the high road. this isn't a movie the bad guys can win by playing dirty, either we get our hands dirty also, or we get 4 more years.

by TruthMatters 2008-09-09 02:54PM | 0 recs
I dunno

That's the whole point here, yep.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-09-09 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: I dunno

Is this a move to try and pull their own "stop calling us sexist" gambit? Are they thinking smartly enough to do that right now? Would that work?

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 03:06PM | 0 recs
Re: I dunno

Of course, answering my own question, probably maybe, no, no.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 03:07PM | 0 recs
Re: I dunno
At this point, perhaps the Obama campaign should split their day into:
30% fundraising
30% debate prep
30% new advertising
10% campaigning
by vcalzone 2008-09-09 03:10PM | 0 recs
So Vcal

Are you saying that there will be a sexism card backlash when people are being accused of sexists for non-sexist statements in the same way there was a race card backlash for Obama in the primaries when non-racist statements were being labeled as racist?  That's pretty clever but I don't think that's what's going on with Obama.  He has decided to hit back hard and really hard.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-09 04:22PM | 0 recs
Re: So Vcal

I'm questioning whether that was what they were sorta hoping for (might be what they're getting), but I don't think it's what they're going for. And I don't think it would work the same way.

If he's going to be hitting back hard from now on, that's great, but unless he starts getting into the media, it won't matter. His media surrogates are almost always terrible. That hasn't been fixed.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 04:44PM | 0 recs
Don't get me started on his surrogates

He should have hired Maria Cardona first of all; she was Clinton's best spokesperson on television.
More Linda Douglass and Stephanie Cutter, less Gibbs and Axelrod.

If people are going to claim sexism with this comment, then we really have no hope if there's no backlash; you cannot cry wolf, the backlash hit Obama pretty hard, I hope it hits McCain/Palin if they push on this comment.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-09 04:49PM | 0 recs
Re: I dunno

Aw, c'mon, even allowing for the whole right-wing lean in the media that response of McCain's surrogates was 'a bridge too far:'

"Enough is enough," Obama adviser Anita Dunn said in a statement e-mailed to reporters at 9 p.m. "The Mc Cain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy -- the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan just last year."

Dunn said, "This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run."

Peter Slevin and Michael D Shear - Palin Camp Takes Umbrage at 'Lipstick on a Pig' Comment Washington Post 9 Sep 08

It's about time we drew a line in the sand on this manipulation of the media narrative that always seems to cost us votes.  On the one hand Obama is criticised for not being partisan enough and appropriately combative, on the other hand, whenever he is, there are grumblings of discontent that he isn't playing the system the way Republicans designed it to be played by Democrats.  We have to start somewhere to reclaim this turf and here and now seems a good place to start.

I'm with Obama on this one and I hope most Americans are with me.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-09 06:46PM | 0 recs
Re: I dunno

Or at least most Democrats.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-09 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Putting lipstick on a pig is an old, old expression.

by politicsmatters 2008-09-09 03:13PM | 0 recs
He was obviously

talking about the Republican party, not any person in particular.

And yes, those are old expressions, but I could easily see Republicans throwing a fit.

Still, throwing a fit over this may hurt Obama in the short term, but would also spread the meme that Republicans are the same old crap trying to sell themselves as something new.

Funny, though, how the timeless "lipstick on a pig" expression suddenly becomes a no-no when there is a woman in the race.

by existenz 2008-09-09 03:34PM | 0 recs
Clever by Half

This was planned, obviously, as a take-off on Palin's quip from her acceptance speech. No other explanation passes the smell test.

The 'joke' will create a hurricane force backlash at a very bad time for Obama. The tin ear of the Obama campaign is beyond belief.  Just as women are moving in droves over to McCain and Obama does this! Women are insulted in the workplace everyday with insensitive and stupid remarks just like this.

Obama will lose a newscycle day, maybe two having to deal with this.  McCain's War Room is whooping it up as we speak.  What a gift!

by oliver777 2008-09-09 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Clever by Half

Uh-huh...  And you'll be throwing a little soirée of your own, no doubt.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-09 07:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Clever by Half

Wow, you really aren't very smart, are you?  Obama's used the term "lipstick on a pig" before to refer to other men. And he followed up with a "fish" reference. It's obvious he's referring to the CONCEPT of repackaging McCain-Palin as reformers.

McCain has shown himself to be surprisingly desperate. This is much like Obama playing the race card.

by elrod 2008-09-10 04:07AM | 0 recs
He's used the same expression

in speeches during the primary.  Its nothing new.  Its an expression.  Why should she protest? She refers to herself as a pit bull.

by Betsy McCall 2008-09-09 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: He's used the same expression

And McCain's used the expression, too.

Last October, asked about Sen. Hillary Clinton's health care plan, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., was blunt.

McCain said Clinton's proposal was "eerily" similar to the ill-fated plan she devised in 1993.

"I think they put some lipstick on a pig," he said, "but it's still a pig."

A common expression, right?

McCain surely wasn't calling Clinton a pig.

After all, McCain's former press secretary, Torie Clarke, wrote a book called "Lipstick on a Pig: Winning in the No-Spin Era."
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/ 2008/09/a-piggish-debat.html

by politicsmatters 2008-09-09 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Obama totally meant to call Palin a pig and a smelly ol' fish. Remember that time when he gave Hillary the middle finger? On national TV?!? He's the meanest person ever!

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:21PM | 0 recs

heh.

Little itchy on the TR finger, aren't you, tarheel?

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

He didn't mean  that to be sexist but folksy.  but, the pugs have a book of 'sayings' that can be spun to mean sexist. She was probably fed the 'lipstick' line with the hope that he'd fall into the trap.  Rove is still alive.

by anna shane 2008-09-09 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

I'm definitely with you on that.

I guess I'm not sure what the point of Jerome's post is. I take it to mean that Obama said something intentional, or was so clumsy that he walked into criticism by saying it. Either way, it's just the typical tut-tutting. C'mon, let's hear some positive commentary already.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

Ah, Jerome posted an update, which definitely clarifies things. I guess I mis-read the intent here. I'll shut up now.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

more manufactured outrage.  No issues, just fake outrage.  rove is laughing his impeachable head off.

by anna shane 2008-09-09 03:49PM | 0 recs
No he didn't...

Josh did. I'm with your original reading of it.

by dtox 2008-09-09 03:54PM | 0 recs
Re: No he didn't...

sigh.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:56PM | 0 recs
Re: No he didn't...

He's just calling a spade a spade.  If you know what I mean...

by enozinho 2008-09-09 03:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

Anna Shane, You are so so silly. This is a very old expression. Google it and you'll see thousands of hits. McCain used it himself.

by politicsmatters 2008-09-09 05:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

how did I disagree with that? He also says 'outlandish' which is common and folksy?  Please explain?  Really, I assume you mean something but I don't get it.

by anna shane 2008-09-09 05:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

DONT EVER BE FOLKSY ANNA!!!!!

=D

by kasjogren 2008-09-09 06:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

okay I don't get that either, what's wrong with folksy?  Or, what do you mean?

by anna shane 2008-09-09 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked

that was actually her point.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Snark remains a dangerous profession on this site.  Many have had their snark-o-meters permanently broken due to the sheer number of trolls that operate here with impunity.

by Skaje 2008-09-09 03:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

word to the mother, mine still doesn't function properly when reading some of the Front Page posts, not this one though.

by KLRinLA 2008-09-09 04:11PM | 0 recs
It is sick but either way they win

As long as it stays away from the issues they have a chance.

by activatedbybush 2008-09-09 06:33PM | 0 recs

Hello plausible deniability!

by davisb 2008-09-09 02:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

We all know what he was talking about, but lets hope its reported that way and Americans figure it out!

by neko608 2008-09-09 03:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Well, there you go again! Yeah!

by Pottery 2008-09-09 03:04PM | 0 recs

Great!
Its about time!

Can't we move to the offensive and put the old man on the offensive.  I am so sick of Palin, how long can she last?

Today I heard she made a list of countries visited...one where her plane fueled was on the list!!

by lja 2008-09-09 03:09PM | 0 recs
Obama is talking about change

not Palin.

by puma 2008-09-09 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama is talking about change

Palin is talking about change, too, puma.

Pedophiles and PUMAs for McCain

by Lolis 2008-09-09 03:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama is talking about change

Yeah, Obama is talking about McCain/Palin's change while using some old skool lines and quite possibly  laying some bait so McCain cries and looks like a tool when people say, "shut up guy, that quote is older than you".  Haha, nice one Obama.

by KLRinLA 2008-09-09 04:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama is talking about change

Palin is talking about change, too, puma.

Pedophiles and PUMAs for McCain

by Lolis 2008-09-09 03:34PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm willing to bet

Welcome to the Democratic party. Dirty politics turns off our voters but brings out the blood-lust in theirs.

by souvarine 2008-09-09 03:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Oh please, "lipstick on a pig" is a term older than dirt.

The stinky fish one...doesn't ring a bell though.

by Scan 2008-09-09 03:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Yes, it is, and if they're smart, they'll use any outcry to open the dialog about sexism.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

i.e. open it the same way Mccain "opened" up the charges of racism.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Unfortunately, html problems deleted the rest of this article. Here, let me finish it:

"Obama is so dumb and says stupid things. He's going to lose, and I'll say I told you so. Hillary would never ever ever ever say anything dumb, because she's so super-duper smart. She'd be winning by 30 points. You should have voted for her, because she is the bestest thing in the entire world!"

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:18PM | 0 recs

Huh?

by Scan 2008-09-09 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

you would've had to be there.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Obama is just making the sound track of McCain's next ad.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-09 03:15PM | 0 recs

Sure...

Because "he was mean to me" makes a great vote winner.

by zonk 2008-09-09 03:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

No the winner is text of his actions and his words clashing in the soundtrack.

Obama voted for XYZ

Audio about smelly fish

Obama voted for ABC

Audio about pig

Audio of Obama saying you are bing hoodwinked, okie doked etc

Obama needs to steer clear of attacks on Palin and generally anything abstract.

He needs concrete attacks.

But so far his concrete attack game is weak and the honeymoon is over on the abstract stuff.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-09 07:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Whereas your comments are merely... static.  Or should I say 'interference.'  Primaries were over in June, time to fish or cut bait.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-09 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

It's about time. I like this more direct Obama. Just call it like it is. People will follow. Racists wont vote for him anyway. He might as well win over the  undecided with his passion.

by Pravin 2008-09-09 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm willing to bet

People over the years decry negativity,  but they have responded to it over the years. I think people like to say one thing, but act differently. The negative attacks do influence them on one level. It helped the repubs against Gore and Kerry.

Hell, I think it helped Bush Sr a little. Quayle certainly didnt help him win the election. Quayle kind of lowered the gravitas factor of that ticket. It took one of our worst presidential candidates to lose that eleciton. (not a reflection on Dukakis as a decent human being).

by Pravin 2008-09-09 03:20PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm willing to bet

You saw how being nice worked for Kerry and Gore. Kerry won the primaries by being brutal to Dean and Gore won his by not laying off Bradley. But Kerry softened in the GE hoping that an honorable campaign would be enough.

All those slimeball lies by the GOP people in the recent convention has gained some traction.

All Obama has to do is stick to the facts and be passionate about being a no nonsense kind of guy. He doesn't have to slime McCain. But he can frame it as "you gotta be kidding me. We do not have time to go through this again" . THe good news is I see Obama going a little along this path in recent days. And I think that is the correct approach or he is toast.

And then surrogates really need to make Palin's name mud. DO not go after her lack of experience. Just brand her a liar like the GOP did with Gore's so called exagerrations. And in Palin's case, she actually did lie.

by Pravin 2008-09-09 10:17PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm willing to bet

actually he needs 4to frame mccain as he is doing- perverted, dishonorble, a liar. so yes he does need to negative frame mccain

by bruh3 2008-09-10 04:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

I would just like to state that it is insane to think that Obama was directly referring to Palin or echoing her pit bull line from the Convention.

It's funny, even after seeing the guy's personality on TV practically every day of this year, some people still think he would purposely act like a dick.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-09 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

I think he was talking about them in a way that he can get away with...and I am fine with it.

Kick their teeth in I say.

by JDF 2008-09-09 04:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

I'm with JDF on this one. Obama likes these sly put-downs, and usually he gets away with them. The audience knew what he meant, I know what he meant, and the only reason people are trying to pretend he didn't is because they are afraid he might get caught this time.

by souvarine 2008-09-09 05:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

No, it's a really, really common saying. I'm not afraid he'll get caught, I'm hoping people actually try to catch him, because they'll look stupid.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 06:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

I should say I don't think it's sexist, insulting to both Palin and McCain (stinky old fish) but not sexist.

by souvarine 2008-09-09 07:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Sexist would be calling Palin a lying bitch. But I would not want to call her that. Or calling Palin a lying whiny bimbo beauty pageant winner. Or a JEsus airhead. Nooo. I definitely think we have enough to call her names using non sexist terms. Like a lying sack of shit.

by Pravin 2008-09-09 10:21PM | 0 recs
Look

Let's be honest about this. Go at it from the sexist point of view. Calling Hillary a pig worked, because her public image was always a little frumpy, a little doughy.

But Palin? The sexist joke there isn't her being fat or ugly, it's her being a total ditz. Hell, she carried a child for 9 months and didn't show for 7! I don't think Obama would ever use this in a sexist way against Palin because it wouldn't make any sense.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 10:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

HEAR, HEAR! The funny thing is this: Didn't Palin  inadvertently call herself (and the rest of the hockey mom nation) PIT BULLS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

by xodus1914 2008-09-10 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

I agree Obama didn't write that line thinking of Palin.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-09 07:17PM | 0 recs

Well let me rephrase.

He didn't write it to attack Palin as being a pig.

He wrote it because the McCain is Change thing is getting traction and Obama is trying to combat that.

But in trying to fight the they aren't really change he is behind the curve playing catch up.

Did McCain spend much time saying Obama isn't change no he isn't nuh oh...?

McCain just did things that were outside the ordinary.

10 Townhall debates offered by the guy expected to lose them.

Get off oil plan offered by the guy tied to the pro oil president.

Outside the box pick for VP with no hype after the other guy MASSIVELY hyped a same ole same ole pick of Biden.

Obama needs to get out of this hole with ACTIONS not words.  By actions I mean words that reveal new policy and new direction or articulate them.  McCain has produced the most NEW direction, policy, personel etc.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-09 07:24PM | 0 recs
Ambinder has a very good post on this

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/arch ives/2008/09/obama_did_not_call_sarah_pa lin.php

Now I have to wait for the insanity to begin. Hopefully people will have some sense.

by tarheel74 2008-09-09 03:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Thanks for the update, Josh.

At first I thought this was just an ill-delivered off the cuff remark, but it's obviously a well strategized baiting tactic by the Obama camp.

It's remarkable that Big John's team took the bait so quickly!
Ha!

by neko608 2008-09-09 03:42PM | 0 recs
Hilarious

By all mean, Johnny McSame, crank up the outrage-a-tronic 2000.

America loves when its politicians whine.

You threw your punches and now you get the counterpunch.  If you can't stand in the ring, get out of it.

by zonk 2008-09-09 03:46PM | 0 recs
I'm starting to think...

That the Obama camp really has a long term strategy...

It's not going to be about her experience, not about her foreign policy "knowledge," but about her record.

At the debate, Biden is going to call her out on her record and ask her to defend it, which I really don't think she'll be able to do.

by neko608 2008-09-09 03:59PM | 0 recs
We need to donate more

Time, Energy and Money for OBAMA and the DNC!

Barack Obama's campaign, which once boasted of an unprecedented broadening of the electoral battlefield, is scaling down its ambitions and concentrating more of its resources on the narrow ground of traditional swing states.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi cs/uselection2008/barackobama/2712605/Ba rack-Obama-lowers-expectations-as-John-M cCains-popularity-surges.html

What say you good people?  :)

Donate Now!

Democratic Party

by kevin22262 2008-09-09 03:59PM | 0 recs
ok now what does Jerome mean

seriously this entire post and the followup more than anything is quite puzzling.

by tarheel74 2008-09-09 04:09PM | 0 recs
Jerome?

He is clearly talking about McCain's message of "change."

I suppose you are trying to say that Obama should avoid making any comments that could be taken out of context?  That would be pretty hard to do.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-09 04:14PM | 0 recs
Wolfsen/Penn

are to blame for this garbage.  I am not saying there was not some sexism, but once they were given the ability to call damn near anything sexism they poisoned politics for years.

by Brandon 2008-09-09 04:17PM | 0 recs
You could say the same

thing about race; now every single statement that is made about Obama has some type of racial connotation purpotedly.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-09 04:18PM | 0 recs
Honestly,

this crap sets us all back years.

by Brandon 2008-09-09 04:24PM | 0 recs
Hey I agree

the idea that you cannot critique a black person's or a woman's experience without being called a racist or sexist is disgusting.

Calling Palin a liar for her Bridge to Nowhere claim/fired her chef claims is not sexist; saying that Obama's anti-war credentials were a "fairy tale" is not racist.  The biggest winners are the real sexists and racists.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-09 04:28PM | 0 recs
We are too PC

By focusing on things that aren't racist or sexist, people will end up accussing us of crying wolf when actual racism and sexism takes place.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-09 04:45PM | 0 recs
Re: I meant to say

This was inevitable.  You can't have the first major black candidate and the first major female candidate run against each other - in the democratic party - and not expect people to fly off the handle over bullshit.

by MeganLocke 2008-09-09 10:23PM | 0 recs
Cut thru the b.s

Once again.
This entire election is bullshit.  The GOP refuses to talk about the issues so instead they undercut their opposition by claiming sexism, personal issues, media bias, and any other card they can.  Ultimately, AMERICANS will have their say and judging by the past; we can not trust them to make the right decision.

"America has not suffered enough, that's why they keep electing Republican Presidents."

by nzubechukwu 2008-09-09 04:27PM | 0 recs
There's some fighting spirit

and he really needs to fight back on the $1 billion earmarks lie.

Try accusing the old goat and his pit bull of $1 Trillion in earmarks.

by Betsy McCall 2008-09-09 04:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

CNN just had a great news clip on Obama's chances in Southern Ohio.  To summarize the findings "many rural whites are yet NOT ready to vote for a black man.  No matter how many jobs have been lost, or how many of their sons and daughters have died in Iraq.

by nzubechukwu 2008-09-09 04:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Here's the way politics works: If you're demanding that the other guy apologize for something he said--and if he has some plausible deniability--you're losing.  You look pathetic and weak.  It's just that simple.

by Will Graham 2008-09-09 04:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

I hope McCain and Palid go ape shit over this.

Obama can accuse them of playing the stupid card.

by lojasmo 2008-09-09 05:38PM | 0 recs
Enough of Democrats on the defense!
I've had enough of seeing the Democrats on the defense when it comes to Palin! In fact, since the Republican convention, that's been just about all we see in the media. Democrats are on the defense while Republicans are on the offfense. It needs to be other way around. Obama and Biden need to cease apologizing. It makes them look weak.

By the way, I just spoke with three friends who were all former Hillary Clinton supporters. Two of them swore they would never vote for Obama, no way, no how. That's all changed. For various reasons, all of them are now committed to Obama!

by zenful6219 2008-09-09 04:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Enough of Democrats on the defense!

I was a Hillary supporter who always knew I'd vote for Obama if he got the nomination, but I have to say that the Palin selection has me really fired up now to actively and publicly support Obama.  That may be what has set your friends off.  I've got a lawn sign now and will probably start giving $$ (I max'ed to Hillary).

Obviously, this whole thing is not moving in a very post-partisan direction (which is one reason I was skeptical about the message Obama ran on during the primary season - but that's water under the bridge now).

by lakelover 2008-09-09 06:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Enough of Democrats on the defense!

Actually, it was Palin's church affiliation and the whole book banning issue that changed their minds.

by zenful6219 2008-09-10 12:13PM | 0 recs

Response:

That's an old expression, so McCain has obviously heard it before.

In fact he used it while talking about HIllary Clinton's health insurance plan...was he, too, being sexist...or was he just using an expression.

When McCain apologizes to Hillary, I'll apologize to Palin.

How stupid does he think that the American people are?

by farpispan 2008-09-09 05:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Very stupid indeed - and most days, I fear he's right.

by geordie 2008-09-09 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Palin is a pig. When she decides to stop her bitchin and apologize to Obama for implying that he's un-American, then maybe she'll be upgraded from pig to stupid whore.

by Steve24 2008-09-09 06:26PM | 0 recs
Not needed

at all.

by Brandon 2008-09-09 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Suprise, Suprise, Jerome hasn't posted the fact that the some of the media seems to have Obama's back on this one:

Jake Tapper ABC NEWS

Ari Melber The Washington Independent

Marc Ambinder The Atlantic

Ben Smith Politico

Also from Ben Smith, the Obama campaign official response to McSame's bullshit included in Ben Smith's post:

UPDATE: Obama aide Anita Dunn responds to the McCain campaign's claim that Obama compared Palin to a pig:

Enough is enough. The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy - the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan just last year. This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run.

by lamh3176 2008-09-09 06:26PM | 0 recs
Please Senator Obama, Stop Insulting the

good pigs of this country.

It's time to slaughter the pig and shoot the old horse that's with her.

by activatedbybush 2008-09-09 06:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

SEXISM IS THE NEW P.O.W.!  DUCK!

by ihaveSTILLseenenough 2008-09-09 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Obviously talking about their campaign.  If he had been talking about her, it would have been lipstick on a pit bull.

Doesn't anyone remember Mc Same's joke about Chelsea Clinton's father being Janet Reno?  Rush and the other right wingers calling for Chelsea's death?  Mc Same laughing at Hilliary being called the B word in the primary?

Come on - they say this stuff we need to talk about their atrocities.

by bigdem 2008-09-09 07:39PM | 0 recs
To be honest

I think he was calling Palin a pig just as McCain was calling Clinton a pig. I often wonder why does a 70 yr old person with a 25 yr  public life go after misspoken remarks. There are bound to be a bunch of them in his history.

by ann0nymous 2008-09-09 07:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Media isn't falling for this one, it seems.

Sorry, Jerome.

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/a rchives/2008/09/seriously_1.html

by HellofaSandwich 2008-09-09 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Work it out... Work it out

You guys know McCain is hitting that. Bang it out bro.  Make sure you to took that underdog.

by nzubechukwu 2008-09-09 08:16PM | 0 recs
My new favorite joke

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and George W. Bush?

Lipstick.

by joshuaellinger 2008-09-09 08:30PM | 0 recs
Re: My new favorite joke

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and a pitbull? The pitbull might actually intimidate Vladimir Putin.

by vcalzone 2008-09-09 10:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

It's obvious, Palin is not the pig. She's the lipstick.
by admiralnaismith 2008-09-09 08:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Keep it current, Jerome. My man may yet win you over. It could happen. And a lot of my Clinton supporting friends are nearing max out for Obama. Anyone else see how Mississippi "found" 90 million dollars for Medicaid the second after he let McCain trawl in Ole' Miss? Try making another donation to Obama. It save a lot of wasted time arguing with trolls. It puts real people on the groun who knew exactly what Obama was saying, and appreciated it hearing the truth.

by Jeter 2008-09-09 09:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama calling out lipsticked pigs and old fish

Oh, at the same time that Barbour approved the illegal act of putting the Senate race at the bottom of the Mississippi ballot. Who supports these corrupt Republicans again?

by Jeter 2008-09-09 09:38PM | 0 recs