Whoa!

No, not this... this:

This is a great punch back, and this ad is a whole lot better than a lot of the ads we have seen as of late from the Obama campaign. But I'm with Josh Marshall -- as great as it is to see the Obama campaign hit back, and hit back hard, it's about time to see the campaign go on the offense and get the McCain campaign on its heels. As JMM put it, "You have start the fight. Let the other guy fight back."

Tags: Adwatch, Barack Obama, White House 2008 (all tags)

Comments

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!   Finally!

And Jonathan, didn't know you were a Blossom fan!!

by neko608 2008-09-08 02:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Who amongst us does not love Blossom?

by Jonathan Singer 2008-09-08 02:44PM | 0 recs
Did I just hear the L-word?

Okay, good. Now H-A-R-D-E-R

by iohs2008 2008-09-08 05:21PM | 0 recs
heh heh

It will only get better!

by hocuspocus 2008-09-08 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Great advert.  I expect there will be many more like this.

by fogiv 2008-09-08 02:39PM | 0 recs
finally...thank g-d

Now to keep pounding them relentlessly.

by tarheel74 2008-09-08 02:43PM | 0 recs
Yes, he should bring out Keating too

It is time adopt the Rovian tactics-- hit the opponent at hat his/her perceived tactics are.

by ann0nymous 2008-09-08 02:53PM | 0 recs

This IS a fight starter!

by RandyMI 2008-09-08 02:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

My thought.  This is more than a defensive ad, it is an offensive ad basically saying they are in bed with lobbyists and a bunch of liars.  This requires a response from the McCain campaign which is what we want.

by jmnyc 2008-09-08 03:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Bingo!  This is bitch-slap politics!

Obama just walked up to McCain, slapped him across the face and said "You're a LIAR.  I just called you a LIAR.  What ya gonna do about it?"

And it's Rovian -- attacking the strength (Maverick).

beauty.

by julatten 2008-09-08 04:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Bingo. This is NOT a response to a McCain attack, like trying to paint McCain as a political celebrity was. It's a direct assault at McCain's lying about his record. About time!

by Mullibok 2008-09-08 08:20PM | 0 recs
"My name is Barack Obama...

and I just punched you in the mouth!"

by JDF 2008-09-08 02:57PM | 0 recs
Isn't his economic guy Phil Graham

also a UBS lobbyist?

his face is more recognizeable

by TarHeel 2008-09-08 02:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Isn't his economic guy Phil Graham

I think they should hammer way harder on the "nation of whiners" thing from Gramm. They seem to have given the repubs a pass on that for some reason.  Overall though I like this ad. Its tough but still issues oriented. We need way more of this level or better and now. Its no longer that the election is some amorphous time in the future. Its happening in 50-some days. Any card that's left to be played needs to start finding its way to the table.

by wasder 2008-09-08 07:56PM | 0 recs
What new front to open up?

Hey, Jonathan--

Any suggestions for a new front to open up?  This ad is a good counterpunch to the Repub convention, but it's still a counterpunch, striking back on something they struck first with.

So, maybe an open thread about what the most target-rich McCain-Palin environment is.  What single line of direct attack, to force a response?

My suggestion for today: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.  Taxpayers just took on hundreds of billions of dollars -- maybe trillions, according to the WSJ -- in new debt to bail out irresponsible lending by the deregulated Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Why do we have to bail them out?  Because George W. Bush and the Republicans thought it was a good idea to let greedy and dishonest people rip us off.  They insisted it would make our economy grow and we would all benefit.  Yeah, right.  That's what they always say, and this is how it always turns out.

Want more of this?  Vote McCain-Palin for a third Bush term.

by DFLer 2008-09-08 02:59PM | 0 recs
Re: What new front to open up?

This is a half counterpunch on Palin, half opening up a new line of attack by going after McCain's inner circle which is all lobbyists.  I don't think the McCain campaign can let the lobbyist accusation go unanswered which should create an opening for us.

by jmnyc 2008-09-08 03:08PM | 0 recs
Re: What new front to open up?

That's a good part 1. Part 2 is to tie that back to Social Security (via privatization). Mention that Bush's pet scheme was SS Privatization, which McCain basically continued with his "SS is a national disgrace" line of attack, and that had we privatized SS, we might be looking at massive losses in SS and a generation of retirees with greatly diminished SS income.

Run that ad as hard as possible in Florida. Maybe in Arizona as well, if we really want to piss off McCain.

by Texas Gray Wolf 2008-09-08 03:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Bingo!!  Great ad. Now give us more!

by Steve24 2008-09-08 03:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Where is this ad running?

by Not the only Dem in KS 2008-09-08 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Obama should go after McBush on his comments about globablization and how he thinks it is good and that he doesn't care if manufacturing jobs don't come back because he thinks service jobs which is low paying will take their place.  Obama should say he is not okay with manufacturing jobs leaving the US and in fact will make more of them in Michigan and Ohio.

by Spanky 2008-09-08 03:25PM | 0 recs

Hey, very nice ad.

by Steve M 2008-09-08 03:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

thank you for FINALLY saying she was for it before she was against it!  the slew of state polls showing close races in CO, VA, and FL are also reassuring.  DON'T SCREW THIS UP MAN, DON'T!

by Doug Tuttle 2008-09-08 03:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

What I really like about this ad is that it allows Obama to attack Palin without having to take his focus off McCain.

I'd love to see more ads where both are attacked as one ticket.  Makes it impossible to cry sexism!

It's a great ad and a brilliant way to hit back.

by MtnFrost 2008-09-08 04:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

OK, it's good. But I think it would be a whole lot better if the message was delivered by a feisty Obama himself! Put a sharper edge to it.

by Bob Miller 2008-09-08 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Does anyone think this quote would work in an ad?

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

by neko608 2008-09-08 04:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Great content, but I really hate that voice.  I know it wouldn't fly, but this ad would be so much better using Michael Keaton's voice from the "bio-exorcist" ad in "Beetlejuice."

by username 2008-09-08 04:53PM | 0 recs
Exactly!

The announcer has the voice of a Sunday school teacher. Harvey Milquetoast. We need some BITE!

(I'm sure I'll set a record for trolls from Sunday school teachers, Harveys, and the Milquetoast family.)

by Bob Miller 2008-09-08 05:04PM | 0 recs
The Same Thought Has Crossed My Mind

more than once. And you could make a very effective 15 second ad with that quote.

by Bob Miller 2008-09-08 05:08PM | 0 recs
Re: The Same Thought Has Crossed My Mind

This was meant to go under the Einstein post. And then to make matters worse, I posted a blank.

I think I'll show myself out.

by Bob Miller 2008-09-08 05:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Finally found the video.  Man, he was awesome in that film...

by username 2008-09-08 05:14PM | 0 recs

by Bob Miller 2008-09-08 05:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Hey! The video is down. Where do I go to see it?

by ragekage 2008-09-08 06:22PM | 0 recs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOekhhuN9 9A

I had to do a search to find it.  Did they relocate the video on YouTube?

by PghArch 2008-09-08 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Another line of reasoning that needs to be drilled in in as many variations as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgIGR9AJ 4A

by wasder 2008-09-08 08:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Whoa!

Its okay. But people won't care about the stuff for which he's saying McCains not a maverick. he needs to talk the economy

by bruh3 2008-09-08 09:17PM | 0 recs