B-List Demons

The RNC comes out with a second attack ad that starts by mocking Obama for addressing a large group - this time at Mile High stadium (the first mocked Berlin).

It runs in 12 states.

But what's more interesting is the weak choice of "liberal boogeymen" used in the ad. The two usuals, Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy, are unavailable for obvious reasons. So who's used to symbolize Obama's "liberal allies?"

Watch:

Byron Dorgan! Be afraid!

I'm sure his family is flattered, but they're probably the only ones outside Washington who recognize him (apologies, Senator).

And don't mess with Pat Leahy. He's in Batman.

Update [2008-9-5 19:10:13 by Josh Orton]: Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but wouldn't the obvious target here be Pelosi? And if so, why wouldn't they use her? (That's a leading question...)

Tags: Election 08 (all tags)

Comments

Re: B-List Demons

They get paid for this crap?

Anonymous teenagers on Youtube make way more interesting stuff......

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-05 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

Wow, with all apologies to Senator Dorgan, I looked at this and went "Who the hell is Byron Dorgan?"

by auronrenouille 2008-09-05 12:24PM | 0 recs
Do swing voters know who these white guys are?

Nope.

Also, since >40 million people watched Obama's speech and it was a success, I am not sure the "celebrity" thing is going to work any more.

It's funny how the McCain camp is trying to use Obama's "change" mantle including "more of the same".  But Americans are not afraid of those old white guys who they don't know, they in fact don't like Bush.  Thus Obama tying McCain to Bush is the very best thing he can do!!!

by puma 2008-09-05 12:38PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

WE now have a new Jesse Helms, Sarah Palin.

by RandyMI 2008-09-05 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

"Unintimidated Gentleman at Party": Greatest role ever.

Seriously, though, I didn't know who any of the people except for Dodd were. No offense, other old white guys who look vaguely Republican.

by TCQuad 2008-09-05 01:07PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

How many of Obama's slogans are they going to steal?  I'd like to say that people aren't dumb enough to fall for it, but they are.

by thezzyzx 2008-09-05 01:10PM | 0 recs
It seems they have ceded the middle

and are now trying to turn out the base. "liberal allies" is clearly aimed at conservatives.

by Neef 2008-09-05 01:11PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

Wow, that was almost identical to the other 2.5d ad... some compositing guy is getting a twofer.  I think the visuals in the beginning are cool looking but I'm guessing that the ad as a whole leaves people thinking "what the hell?" instead of "wow, that hits home" and coming off with a better feeling about John McCain.  I can hope that McCain's ads will continue to be this vague and ineffective, but something tells me it's going to get a hell of a lot more pointed and nasty by November.

by thatpurplestuff 2008-09-05 01:13PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

I  can't stand all the bullshit about raising taxes. But, I better get used to it because the republican assholes won't stop.

by msw4477 2008-09-05 01:14PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

well, that's heartening, it's really meaningless.  I'm not sure who this plays too, anyone?

by anna shane 2008-09-05 01:15PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

Well, being a Republican, I think it's supposed to appeal to me, but just like everyone else, every time I see that ad, all I can think is "who the heck are all those dudes?" The only one I recognize outside of Obama is Harry Reid (that is Harry at the end, isn't it?). Maybe they were just trying to come up with what they think are scary looking white guys, I don't know. It's a slick production (especially at the beginning) but as an ad, I don't know how effective it will be.

by RepTroll 2008-09-05 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

"Well, being a Republican..."

What kind of Republican are you?

You're supposed call us all Liberal Elites who want to raises taxes and kill babies somewhere in your post?

Besides, it kind of sounds like you have a sense of humor.

Are you SURE you're a Republican?

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-05 02:29PM | 0 recs

My thought too.

by the by,

what happened to Al Roger's diary?  It was funny and faux sexist and he put in that great series of clips from fox?  One photo in there was hard to look at, was that it?

by anna shane 2008-09-05 03:12PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

I think Al got in trouble...

I was having fun, but I get in trouble a lot!

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-05 03:15PM | 0 recs

too silly?  Bad you?

by anna shane 2008-09-05 04:28PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

Yup, I am sure I am a Republican - and quite a conservative one at that; not waaaay right, but pretty far right. And yes, I would like to think I have a sense of humor - some of "us" do! :-)

Sometimes, ya just gotta call 'em like you see 'em and that ad is just plain odd.

by RepTroll 2008-09-05 03:42PM | 0 recs

"some of "us" do! :-)"

Well, the ones that usual land here don't.

A cranky disagreable bunch!

Welcome aboard anyhow.

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-05 03:58PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

"A cranky disagreable bunch!"

Well, I don't figure on changing a whole lot of minds here, so not much point in being that way.

"Welcome aboard anyhow."

Thanks! Actually, I have been a member here for a long time. I just haven't posted in quite awhile. There was a stretch there where politics depressed me (imagine that given the recent climate, huh?). It's only been a couple of months that I have been reading myDD (or any political blogs for that matter) again, and this was my first post in a long time.

by RepTroll 2008-09-05 04:04PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

Think the order is Dorgan, Dodd (with Jack Reed in profile?), Schumer, Pat Leahy, and Reid.

by Josh Orton 2008-09-05 03:08PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

you some overeducated elite showoff?  (thanx)

by anna shane 2008-09-05 03:13PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

No it was Sheldon Whitehouse with Dodd, even more ridiculous...

by micha1976 2008-09-06 05:38AM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

Hey, Byron Dorgan was in Fahrenheit 9/11.  That's a lot of exposure!

by Steve M 2008-09-05 01:32PM | 0 recs

Bryon Dorgan? Clearly the GOP must hate rural voters

by alexmhogan 2008-09-05 02:01PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

I've seen this and have to wonder why they put pictures of people no undecided voter would recognize.

Hell, many dedicated partisans wouldn't recognize most of them!

by nintendofanboy 2008-09-05 03:14PM | 0 recs
I think they were scared to upset women...

They really are depending on independent women, which shows how terrible a plan they have.

by nklein 2008-09-05 08:02PM | 0 recs
Re: B-List Demons

What exactly are they afraid of Leahy spending money on?  He's the chair of the Judiciary Committee.  Are they worried he's going to try and secure funding for the Second Chance Act?  And Dorgan is the Chair of Indian Affairs.  Wouldn't Byrd or some other approps leadership have made a lot more sense?

by DanM 2008-09-06 07:46AM | 0 recs