Don't F- With Dave

Holy crap. This is worse than I thought. Jane brings us the leaked video from tonight's Letterman with Olbermann, although the guest was supposed to be John McCain until he, ya know, suspended his campaign and rushed off to Washington. Not.

As you can see below, as Letterman announces that John McCain won't be on the show, he immediately suspects some funny business. "When you call up and you call up at the last minute and you cancel a show, ladies and gentlemen, that's starting to smell. I mean, this is not the John McCain I know, by God, it makes me believe something's gone haywire with the campaign." His key line, after ripping on McCain's decision to suspend the campaign (he called it "quitting") and wondering where Sarah Palin is, was the brutal:

Are we suspending it because there's an economic crisis or because the poll numbers are sliding?

But it's later when Keith Olbermann is in the chair when things get really interesting. It's then that Letterman is informed that McCain was not in fact flying to Washington at all, but rather was at that very minute taping an interview with Katie Couric, his fellow CBS-mate. They then proceeded to show a bit of what appeared to be a live feed of the interview, as Letterman shouted at the screen "Hey, Senator, you need a ride to the airport?" Hilarious.

But the subtext of the entire sequence was not funny, really, it was sort of sad, actually. There it was, laid bare for the entire country to see, the sad fact that John McCain is a liar and not only that but that he lied to Dave. Hey, McCain. You don't fuck with Dave.

Watch it:

Tags: David Letterman, John McCain (all tags)

Comments

Re: Don't F- With Dave

I love you David Letterman.

This needs to go viral, like 5 minutes ago.  Everything he said was spot on.

by Obamaphile 2008-09-24 07:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Here is the situation. This is the onset of the great depression, of the 21st century. I've posted about this before. It happened on the 15th of September, 2008.

The President, and John McCain are largely responsible for this situation. They were paid off by lobbyists, of whome there were and still are 134 paid lobbyists running the McCain campaign.

They stood up during their convention and cheered about drilling wildlife reserves the entire time the Texas big oil guys were selling us short
in offshore accounts.

And its the unbridled derivatives market, that is doing it. Its a completely unregulated thing.

And that lack of regulation caused the economy to falter.  It was unregulated because lobbyists paid the GOP off to de-regulate it.

So this is the great Depression.  And even in the early days, there will be dog and pony shows.

Anything to take people's mind off the reality that is facing them.

Let me explain a bit more. People think crashes happen overnight. They dont. It might take three months.

And Obama has stated the most profound fact of this entire problem: its 40 days to elect another president, who will deal with this - and the America people deserve to know what they're going to do about it.

McCain, if he stayed home - this past eight years - would have cleared the way for regulation that could have prevented it. Instead, he led the charge to make the markets the way they are.

And now he wants to regulate them. And so does the so called "anti regulation" president.

I guess what really happened is the lobbyists that have McCain running like a puppet on a string, decided that yes, there is a great depression on the way. And they want to make themselves look nifty. Fast. Because the GOP is darwinistic: they have as much to fear from their own party as they do the Dems.

Meanwhile. Another candidate speaks for us, in a strong and clear voice. The depression means you work harder, and might get paid less.

But in the end, it will be about your friends, and your ideals - and your strength.
And that. ... is precisely why the words of Obama ring out like peal of thunder ...

1. setup an indepedent review board to find out how the money is going to be spent

2. american taxpayers should be set up as investors  - and paid off if things go well

3. provision should be made for main street, not just wall street

4. the american people should not be rewarding the ceos that got us into this mess

Those are his principles, that he sought to outline into a joint statement.   Which McCain ignored - because he was actually not in washington, but in a CBS studio giving an interview to Katie Couric. Claiming he's in washington.

Its my belief that this is exactly the time that the American people need to hear from the person that in 40 days will be responsible for cleaning up this mess.

How can we be most helpful? - Obama said the most helpful thing we can do now, to let everyone know that all standardbearers - are saying we need to deal with this problem and extraneous issues that threated to cloud the rescue - with partisan politics - need to be left out of this thing.

Ex. Bankruptcy reform should be left out.
The stimulus package shouldn't be in the package.
Etc.

Bottom line: regulation is what is being called for. And if we get proper regulation, we have a chance to power out of all of this.

Presidents are going to have to be able to do more than one thing at a time. Its not practical to suspend everything else if something comes up

And in the end, for me, as a voter, its important to know that we're being asked to pony up 700 billion dollars.  Obama believes we should have the debate. So at least we can be involved in it.

But McCain and the Bush Republicans are so corrupt, so run by lobbyists - that they just want a middle of the night deal that makes them look good.

by Trey Rentz 2008-09-24 08:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

McCain may be winning this round.  He has Obama in DC tomorrow and not in Fl prepping for the debate.

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-24 07:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

He can prep for the debate in DC, too.

by wilder 2008-09-24 07:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Will Bush be quizing him on who the leader of Shirtzikerston is?  Or why Sweatsocklovia is important to our national security?

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-24 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

You've been snorting something, haven't you?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:21PM | 0 recs
Holy Shit!

What are you smoking?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Holy Shit!

As I have said before  --- a million times --- I'm not drinking the kool-aide.  We are running the better candidate, but one with some weaknesses, and we can't take anything for granted.

Kerry had a nice lead until he was swiftboated.   McCain, as I have pointed out before, has come back from the political dead before.  I don't feel the need to rah rah here because everyone on this site already has their minds well made up.  I am simply talking politics.

McCain after a week of floundering badly has come up with a nice political play here.

As for smoking, I am smoking nothing at this time but if you have some good shit let me know.

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-24 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Holy Shit!

Dude, I outed you as a McTroll 6 weeks ago.

Remember the "nuked" comments diary?

Give it a rest Fuckwad.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Holy Shit!

I think everyone is waiting to see how this turns out.  I haven't seen many supposed experts be able to predict if this is a helpful move for McCain or not.  It certainly is bizarre.  Palin was thought to be an extremely smart pick at first,but in the end she may be somewhat of a detriment for him.  This thing is getting really complicated, and we will probably all have to wait it out to see the ending. I think McCain is shooting in the dark, hoping to hit the target by sheer luck one of these times.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Well, McCain sure isn't spending any time preparing.  He is nervous now, and so that will be reflected in his behavior at the debate if he goes.  Obama seems to be pushing hard to have the debate, so he must feel prepared enough to go up against McCain.  This is McCains worst type of setting, too.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Next thing, McCain will be dreaming that he's shown up at the debate completely naked...only he'll  discover that it's actually real, and that it's early stage dementia that's the real problem.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

I'm thinking his age is the least of his worries.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

common occurance when on vodka and ambien

by mydailydrunk 2008-09-25 05:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

This is definitely a win for McCain.

On the one hand, McCain gets outed as a coward on late night TV. This ups his sympathy vote.

On the other hand, Mr. "5th from the bottom" forces Mr Law Review to study on a plane.

Clear McCain win.

by Neef 2008-09-24 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

When is McCain fitting in HIS studying?  This whole thing seems a little like he is trying to get out of debating every way he can.  Surely he wouldn't go to that extreme, but it will pass through people's minds that he is trying.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Some people are saying he's had a mild stroke...  if you look at his drooping eye and inability to move his right eyebrow in sync... this could be a legitimate stall tactic...  anything to prevent him from speaking on Friday night!

by LordMike 2008-09-24 07:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

God, as much as I'd like to agree with you, I don't think so.

My Grandma had a mild stoke and she was inoperative for quite some time.

I think it's early stage dementia.  McCain is looking exactly like my other Grandma did, before we really knew what was going on.

The dude is fading, whatever the reason.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

"The dude is fading, whatever the reason."

Maybe stress and the long hours of the campaign.  I think that sort of stuff can be a trigger.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 07:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Yes.  And at his advanced age, it's even more prone to trigger bizarre behavior.

He's just not prepared to handle the stress of this job, in his physical condition.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Well, maybe he is just really tired.  I don't want to make fun of his age or even suppose something about his health, because people age differently, but at 72 with the schedule that is expected of a candidate, maybe he is having trouble coping, energy and exhaustion-wise. Sheesh.  He is doing way better than I anticipate doing at his age.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

I think its also true that most of us (if we live long enough) will start to suffer some form of dementia.  Reagan was definitely affected by it in office and it's not unlikely that McCain may feel it soon or over the next 8 years.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

That is true.  It also is a little bit in the genes, and his aging might be somewhat the same as one or both parents.  I heard that his father and maybe grandfather died young, but I don't know if that is true.  And also, in his fathers generation there were fewer treatments for things like high blood pressure and heart disease, and so who really knows.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 08:05PM | 0 recs

Are you serious?

Late night what?  On a Wed.?   Gee, wild fun in the dorm.  Yeah.  Some people work.

As for debate prep on a plane, hard to say.

Yes, they can run over topics and scripted answers.  But they can't run over camera angles and moderator / opponent positions, etc.  They can't dress rehearse they way they would, with the podiums, and the stand in opponents, etc.

Plus they are clearly going to lose time.  If Obama is in DC meeting with Bush, you are nuts think he isn't going to have to give major supports, plus Reid, Pelosi, etc. a few minutes of face time as well.  He blows half a day.

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-24 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

seriously, Mccain has to prepare too.  You have to look at things from both points of view.  If McCain was the all knowing super political ninja, he wouldn't be losing.

by Xris 2008-09-24 07:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

McCain is down 4 to 6.  He has nothing to lose and has to figure that the debate topic favors him.   Plus he has been doing question and answer town halls where Obama's stumps have been almost all scripted.

McCain has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-24 07:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Still have to study, I don't care who you are.  You give him way too much credit.  I am sure republican filled town halls are real nail biters. Much harder than 20+ debates with Senator Clinton.

I can't predict the future, maybe this helps McCain or it destroys him, but you have got to start being a little more objective.  This is a political ploy, and all ploys take time before their outcomes can be assessed.

by Xris 2008-09-24 07:48PM | 0 recs
Agreed Xris

This move will either push Obama to an indisputable six-eight point lead, and into the lead in Florida, Ohio, and yes even the Show-Me State or McCain will push this thing back to 50-50.

McCain's a political survivor (you could say the same thing about Obama and Clinton); he keeps on pulling rabbits out of his hat but I think people are calling this move the deathknell to his campaign too hastily.  The tracking polls will tell the story the next two days.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-24 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Agreed Xris

The news says that the Dems reached a deal on the bail out.  I am not going to start into whether I agree with the bail out or not, but if that is true and it gets done tomorrow that pretty much screws McCain royally.

I think whether this ploy works or not depends on the narrative that takes place.  This is a huge gamble and if it fails he is done.  But the reality is that he was probably done without a second game changer attempt.  I am done predicting anything, I have been wrong so many times this election that I am convinced I am a political idiot now.

I will just wait and see.

-X

by Xris 2008-09-24 08:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Agreed Xris

I think McCain is toast.  The media is so stacked against him at this point.  Obama can crawl across the finish line.

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-25 09:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

894 out of 899, that's all that needs to be said.  When I was at the Academy, we call the dregs at the bottom, "losers."

Lucking that McCain had big daddy to look out for him.

Thrashing five airframes?

Lose your flight status.  That's what we used to call it.

Got any military experience in your resume, Mr. Flatts?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Didn't Bush lose his flight status?   Didn't Bush finish pretty low at Yale?  I heard he was rejected for grad school at UofT (not sure if that true).

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-24 07:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Don't know anything about that, since I only look at people with REAL military experience.

Keep going.

Got any military experience, chickenhawk?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:50PM | 0 recs

I built a fort once.

:P

by Xris 2008-09-24 07:51PM | 0 recs

Cool!

Then you're much more qualified than Richard "Chickenhawk" Flatts to comment on what being in the military really means.

Mojo for you!

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

What a vile POS you are.

I have never advocated a war in my life.  So save your worthless little chickenhawk remarks.   You are scum pulling that BS here.

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-25 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

How much of your parents money have you donated this cycle chief?

by RichardFlatts 2008-09-25 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Obama's in DC tomw b/c Bush called a meeting, not b/c of McCain.

by Todd Beeton 2008-09-24 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

LOL. This is Obama, not Palin. He'll be fine.

Assuming there is a debate on Friday.

by BrighidG 2008-09-24 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

I'll be watching it in a few mins, but it makes me a little uneasy.  Everything has gotten a little too partisan with the media.  I want McCain to lose, but I don't want the media to decide that he is going to lose for me. Though deep down in, it feels good to see the republicans trashed.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Well, if they did it every night for eight years to come I would be worried with you, until then...  Not  so much.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-24 07:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

I am  talking about all of the media.  They have chosen sides and not even tried to be unbaised on many of the programs this year.  Partisanship is oozing out of all the orifaces of the talking heads everywhere. Before, most of them tried to appear relatively unbiased, even if they tried every which way to get their support of a candidate accross.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:26PM | 0 recs
That's one reason

why everyone's nuttiest blogger BTD supported Obama in the primaries: he would get favorable media treatment in the general election.

You here tonight Jerome?  I think Chuck Todd has it exactly right regarding Virginia for Obama: the key is the Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia.  He seemed to insinuate that Warner may not go all out for Obama in the former area.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-24 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: That's one reason

I hear that Talk Left was pretty evenly balanced when BTD was helping to run it.  Actually a place to go to have a decent conversation.  He seems to have come a long way from being nutty as Armando.  But I didn't spend a lot of time there, in fact none at all at TL in the primaries.  Wish I had.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: That's one reason

Jeralyn was pretty pro-Hillary and BTD played the same role that Jerome does here.  Until recently, the comments section was full of PUMAs and you could get banned for posting more than 10 comments per day (especially if you disagreed with the Jeralyn or the PUMAs).

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 07:46PM | 0 recs
85% of Jeralyn's posts pertain

to Palin these days; she's of the mindset that McCain sinks or swims with Palin.

She's one of my favorites on the blogosphere, probably a higher caliber than anyone here, even more so than Armstrong.  Talkleft has even less dissent now against the Obama-Biden (still cannot believe she came to support Biden within days) than this blog.

by Blazers Edge 2008-09-24 07:50PM | 0 recs
Talkleft

is still a bastion of Obama-hatrid.  It is very uncommon to see a positive post about him there.  I would say 60%+ of the posters there are still looking for his defeat.

And you are correct that you can never argue with a PUMA or you will get banned.   Jeralyn may not like Palin, but since Bill Clinton seems to love her most of the posters at TalkLeft love Palin.

I think it is very strange that the last thing McCain is going to do before 'suspending' his campaign is to speak at Clinton's economic forum.   And this is just after Bill praised McCain unendingly on Letterman and gave a huge love-fest to Palin on the View.

I think it is more obvious than ever that Bill wants Obama to lose and lose big.   He still thinks that every Democrat needs to be beholden to him.  Bill is really showing himself to be the pig I never thought he was in the 90s.

by gavoter 2008-09-24 09:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Well, the Republicans are running an irascible jet-jockey time-warped here from the Viet-Nam era and a former regional network bubble-head for the highest offices in the land at a time when our nation is in any number of crises as a consequence of their own party's unilateral, arguably malicious, mismanagement.  Do you think that might have something to do with it?

On a simple reality-based assessment of the obvious the media often has failed in the recent past.  Maybe they've had enough, too.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-24 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Maybe it isn't usually this pointed, but comedians often shape our perceptions of the candidates (as do political cartoons, etc.).  I don't think there's really that much difference this year, other than the fact that they're not tearing apart a Dem for a change.

by rfahey22 2008-09-24 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Act like an ass, get called out as an ass.

Democrat or Republican, I don't care.

Perhaps the media would stop being so mean to John McCain if he were to stop acting like an addled meth addict; frenetic activity with little point to it all, complete inability to be honest, and general dickishness.

He can go back to being honorable hero John McCain, bestest of a bad party, on 11/4 -- until then, he's reaping what he's sown and I don't care how hard he falls.... because he's the doofus who decided to climb on the roof in the first place.

by zonk 2008-09-24 07:26PM | 0 recs
Surprising!

I expected the makeup person to come out with a trowel to fill in the wrinkles, but she seems to just be "touching" McCain up.

Did they apply the mortar earlier?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

4th down and twenty-one yards to go and the quarterback gets sacked trying for a 'Hail Mary' pass into the end-zone...  By David Letterman.  Shucks.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-09-24 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Anyone remember the Alec Baldwin interview in 1999 where Alec talked up Gore and showed disdain for Nader as a spoiler.

Alec was VERY emotional.

Letterman was equally emotional in his defense of Nader.

Gore lost by a few hundred votes in Florida.

That episode of the late show was watched by a lot of people in Florida who voted for Nader.

Dave will forever have some of the blame in my mind for the Bush years.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-24 07:24PM | 0 recs

What's your point?

That Dave is effective?

...cause that really doesn't work with your theme.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

My point is Dave is a very bad judge of the results of his actions.

Worse than ALEC BALDWIN...

And DAVE is a total piece of dirt for helping to lose Gore the election.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-24 07:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

But he is effective, which was your point...or is it that people don't trust Dave?

Which way are you spinning this?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 07:43PM | 0 recs

Effective with who?

The palin crowd?  Probably not

The independent crowd?  Maybe

The Nader crowd?  Probably At least to the tune of 500 votes in Florida.

Its very unlikely either Dave Letterman or KeithObamaman will dramatically effect the outcome.

Their base is pretty much already in the tank for Obama.

But the reaction to blatant in the tank for Obama all over the media may cause a backlash.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-24 07:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Man, you are truly confused.

What was your point agin?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 08:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Dave Letterman's "base" is "in the tank" for Obama?

It's great when you mix the McCain talkingpoints with the crazy.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 08:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

I agree.  Stupidest. Post. Ever.

Letterman's base "in the tank" for obama.

Pshaw.

by lojasmo 2008-09-25 02:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

I feel the same way!  I get so angry when I think of all of those butterflies that flapped their wings in Switzerland and caused Hurricane Ike.

by thatpurplestuff 2008-09-24 07:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Dave knew what he was doing.

He knew he was hurting Gore's chances.

He knew it was close.

Dave supported Bush by proxie.

by dtaylor2 2008-09-24 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Keep it coming. I don't have Fresca coming out of my nose yet.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 07:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave
Your input is always inane.
by mikeinsf 2008-09-24 10:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Beware of this internet scam!

My accounts are no longer worth shit.  If you want them, you can have them.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Unless Diebold has rigged it it's landslide for the Dems.  This thing is over.

by scytherius 2008-09-24 08:02PM | 0 recs
Bingo!

The race is over.

McCain is a loose goofball.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 08:08PM | 0 recs
Back to reality....

You really think it's over? New polls out today: NBC/Wall St. Journal has a 2 pt. Obama lead...Rasmussen also has it +2 pts. for Obama.

If you peg your thinking to Letterman and/or the media, you may indeed think it's over.

But if you pay attention to voter sentiment--as measured in the polling of likely voters---maybe think about why...in a GOP administration that's presiding over a crumbling economy....the Democratic candidate can only scrounge up a 2 point lead in the polls.

by BJJ Fighter 2008-09-24 08:44PM | 0 recs
Jerome!

Is that You?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 08:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Back to reality....

No one thinks its over.  That's said, both Rass and WSJ lean right.  If Obama is leading in both of them, then I feel pretty good about things.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 08:50PM | 0 recs
Back to the question......

Why isn't the Democratic candidate ahead by +20 points???

This administration...from Iraq to the economy, is just one giant clusterfuck. Why is this contest even close and/or in doubt?

by BJJ Fighter 2008-09-24 08:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Back to the question......

"Why isn't the Democratic candidate ahead by +20 points???"

If he was, you'd be complaining about why he wasn't ahead by 30 points, balancing the budget, solving the Israel-Palestine conflict, getting us out of Iraq tomorrow and developing a better penis enlargement pill.

There is literally nothing he could do that would make you happy.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 09:00PM | 0 recs
Bottom line: this race should not be close.

by BJJ Fighter 2008-09-24 09:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Bottom line: this race should not be close.

If you're worried, get out and knock on doors, man the phone banks and donate what you can afford.

Concern trolling is not the answer.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 09:04PM | 0 recs
Wrong!

You have no statistical data to support your premise.  You know the real reason, but you're here to sew discontent.

Please read BJJ moronic comments within this context.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 09:06PM | 0 recs
I'm honored by the troll rating...

...fuckwad.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 09:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Wrong!

Rec'ed for truth.

by lojasmo 2008-09-25 02:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Back to the question......

Because Obama is black.

That's the truth.

It really does take a disaster of biblical proportions to get the American electorate to consider something as different as an "Obama."

We needed a tailwind this dramatic to get an AA into the WH.

That's just the way we are.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 09:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Back to the question......

Maybe because Republicans nominated the one candidate that isn't considered a "Republican" by ordinary Americans?

McCain's nickname is "Maverick" for Christ's sake, so it's pretty obvious to those paying attention why he doesn't do as bad as most Republicans.  With candidates like McCain and Obama, we do not have the political chiaroscuro that many people seem to think we have.

Fortunately for us, his independent image is just that... an image.  The more voters see of his actual policy positions, the further he falls in the polls.

That's why his campaign manager quite literally does not want this election to be about issues.  The McCain camp would be perfectly content if we talked about his experience in Vietnam until November 4th.

by thatpurplestuff 2008-09-24 10:27PM | 0 recs
First realize

That between 19-30% of the country thinks Bush did a great job.

Then understand that Palin, who brings nothing to the table issue-wise, fires up their base in ways Biden (Mr. OMG I live and breathe policy) does not.

Then wonder if the somewhat-possibly-sometimes-left-leaning media counterbalances the full-bore Fox News + Rush-and-20-million-listeners effect.

Finally, factor in the fact that reality is irrelevant if the GOP simply lies about it.

If you can get that far, then I have to ask why anyone with any political savvy whatsoever would think that a 2008 Dem should be up 15 points?

It's like you think we run unopposed or something.

by Neef 2008-09-25 09:53AM | 0 recs
Geeez Louise

The entire show is about McCain.

by Scotch 2008-09-24 08:23PM | 0 recs
The McCain "Goofball"

...meme is staring to permeate into the public narrative.

This is getting fun.

I love it!

Like shooting fish in a tub.

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 08:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Wow.  That was like an hour of straight McCain-bashing.  Amazing.

by rfahey22 2008-09-24 08:33PM | 0 recs
The last time Letterman went on like this.....

was when Governor Palin was nominated for the Vice Presidency. His judgment was not very good then, either.

Dems need to learn that bashing by people like Letterman doesn't really do us any good: lefties love it, but centrists just get turned off. And conservatives get motivated as hell.

Nixon wrote in his memoirs that in 1968, tho only person the Democrats defeated was Spiro Agnew. Twenty years later, they managed to beat Dan Quayle. I supsect that 20 years after that...in 2008, and after eight awful years of George Bush...the only person we're gonna beat is Sarah Palin. Go ahead, folks: have at it.

by BJJ Fighter 2008-09-24 09:11PM | 0 recs
Re: The last time Letterman went on like this.....

So Palin is helping McCain now?  Is that why they're hiding her away from the media?  She gave him a brief bump in the polls, but people like her less the more they know about her.

by the mystical vortexes of sedona 2008-09-24 09:19PM | 0 recs
Dude!

What's it like sucking on a six-foot high cylinder of Nitrous Oxide?

I really want to know?

by OmniStipes 2008-09-24 09:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Dude!

I usually don't break out in guffaws at 11:30 but that comment did it...

BJ is truly a one-note cuckoo....

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-24 10:18PM | 0 recs
Re: The last time Letterman went on like this.....

So let's get this straight:

1. You absolutely hate Obama and you want to see him lose.

2. You are giving free advice to Obama supporters and telling them how to win.

3. You are expecting people to not see through your bullshit.

Got it.

by thatpurplestuff 2008-09-24 10:31PM | 0 recs
By your logic

Rush Limbaugh is helping Barack immensely. We should all be cheering Sean Hannity on.

Yeah, I don't believe it either.

The electorate is much less sophisticated than you seem to think. Dave basically called McCain a coward, and so to a significant number of people he IS a coward. At least today.

You can spin that as good if you want, but it doesn't pass the smell test.

by Neef 2008-09-25 10:02AM | 0 recs
not simply trashing

I don't think Dave was only trashing on McPalin, as some here contend.

His question about the 'second-string quarterback' was legitimate, framed so that his audience would easily understand, and it pointed to two key elements of McPalin's campaign that people should be worried about:

--what kind of executive will McCain actually be in a crisis? If he can't handle running a campaign during difficult times, how is he going to run the country?

--is Palin ready? Obviously, most of us here think not, but it's a debate that centrists and undecideds are still having with themselves. But does a good leader really take an untested second-in-command into such an important arena? She's not ready, or she would be out there filling McCain's shoes. And even when she tries, it's like, 'uh, sorry, Katie, I'll have to get back to you on that one.' ?????

Dave's audience is not 'in the tank' for Obama. It's quite a cross section of the country, and I'm sure some people were tuning in especially to see how he'd handle McCain (probably would have been pretty softball). In reacting the way he did, he stated clearly for a lot of non-lefties who John McCain really is. A McCoward.

He may be only a night time talk show host, but that doesn't mean he wasn't spot on.

by vadasz 2008-09-24 10:23PM | 0 recs
let's be clear what this is

more bumbling by McCain.

Clinton + Sax + MTV = smart pol who understands media.

McCain + Bail on Dave + Do Couric spot = someone who gets blindsided by his bad decisions.

Dave is irrelevant here, this is McCain's consequence. Again and again he acts rashly and then eats the inevitable bludgeoning.

by Neef 2008-09-25 10:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't F- With Dave

Sarah Palin brings Orange Slices to Iraq for "Halftime" in her first Foreign Policy Initiative:

funny article:

http://megasizzle.com/funny/sarah-palin- brings-orange-slices-to-save-iraq-at-hal ftime/

by Slappy Whyte 2008-09-25 11:05AM | 0 recs