The Gender Card

Upon returning to LA last night, I turned on CNN and was somewhat dumbfounded by the absurdity and audacity of Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) who twice asserted that James Carville's questioning of Sarah Palin's experience to be Vice President of the United States is "offensive to women."

Eric Kleefeld at TPM picks up on this new gender card strategy being utilized by Republicans when talking about/defending Palin and grabs this bit from the CNN interview last night.

BACHMANN: You know, Larry, I find those comments from James Carville actually offensive -- and especially offensive to American women. There are a lot of very competent American women. Sarah Palin easily is a competent woman. She's proved herself in business. She's proved herself in politics. She has come up from nowhere to be somebody. And she's someone we can all be very proud of. She is one competent tough cookie and I think the American people are going to love her.

KING: Are you saying, though...

CARVILLE: Congresswoman, I don't know how to tell you this, but I supported a woman for president of the United States and spent many hours on this very set supporting a woman of the United States.

What Carville was doing was questioning Palin's qualifications on their own merits, regardless of gender. Bachmann's insistence that Palin not be judged on the basis of her accomplishments at all but instead that criticism is disallowed because she's a woman actually sets the women's movement back decades. So while Kleefeld calls the exchange 'hilarious', I actually think it's far more insidious. The way Bachmann calls Carville's comments offensive to women so calmly, authoritatively with a big smile and the way she comes close to sending Carville over the edge in his response; the charge is so baseless yet she says it with such conviction as only a shameless Republican can, thus leaving the Democrat sort of exasperated. You can watch Bachmann's charge and Carville's response below.

It wasn't so long ago that tactics like this would have intimidated Democrats into pulling punches and prevented them from going on offense. This is clearly the right's strategy here, to threaten any and all critics of Palin as sexist right off the bat so as to cause Democrats from criticizing her at all. Carville was clearly knocked back by it and betrayed some of his on his sleeve emotion when responding. Next time I'd like to see Claire McCaskill or Amy Klobuchar take Michelle Bachmann down instead. I'd like to see her accuse them of being "offensive to women." Bring it on.

Tags: Gender Card, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin (all tags)

Comments

Re: The Gender Card

I'm curious.....  If the Governor of Alaska was a man.....would we be having this much talk of his lack of experience?  I don't know....but probably not.

by karajan72 2008-09-02 10:03AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Of course we would. What kind of troll are you to try and imply that any criticism of McPalin is sexist?????

by venician 2008-09-02 10:09AM | 0 recs
Red Stater

They get talkative when they're nervous.

by iohs2008 2008-09-02 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Red Stater

Or when they're feeling triumphant.  He used to come on here and give Rev Wright updates, but I don't think that's the case here.

by Jordache 2008-09-02 12:06PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

The McCain camp just did this today.  Unbelievable given their repeated attacks on Obama's experience even though he is black.  Identity politics make my eyes bleed.

by proseandpromise 2008-09-02 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card
Of course we would. When John McCain chose to make Obama's so-called "lack of experience" the centerpiece of his campaign and then chose to nominate someone with significantly less experience as his VP pick, that startling discrepancy between words and actions is going to be carefully scrutinized. You can also look at the nominations of Dan Quayle and Spiro Agnew to further rebut your argument. Those were both VP picks with more experience than Palin, and both of them were heavily scrutinized and criticized for their lack of experience.
by Justin Alexander 2008-09-02 10:12AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Those aren't good choices to study, because their tickets won.

by SuGeAtARC 2008-09-02 11:59AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card
Their tickets won, but Dan Quayle is a national joke, and Agnew had to resign in disgrace.
What I see is McCain appointing another nodding head, nothing more. He wanted a friend (and who would doubt that Lieberman would have made the perfect yes man to McCain?) amd had to choose her to get publicity.
by skohayes 2008-09-02 02:15PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

History is littered with mediocre and outright bad Veeps. Can't you pick a couple who failed to get elected? I know it's harder, because they're just footnotes, if that, in history books, but the point is no one remembers them at all as either good OR bad, if they don't actually take office.

And so let us compare Palin to those forgotten politicos, and not to two who actually held office, okay?

by SuGeAtARC 2008-09-02 02:41PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

...but because there's no way that a fanatically pro-life governor of a small state with little experience would have ever been added to this ticket if he were male.

by thezzyzx 2008-09-02 10:12AM | 0 recs

It would be worse.

by jsfox 2008-09-02 10:12AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

More to the point if Gov. Palin were a man the pick wouldn't have been made.

by jsfox 2008-09-02 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

yeah if she were a man, pundits would have immediately declared this a disastrous pick.

i majored in women's studies in college, so i have some feminist cred. i think people in the media have gone out of their way to take Palin more seriously than she deserves because of her gender.

even people on here were hawking the idea that biden should go easy on her in the debate. please. hillary clinton proved women can debate with the rest of them, and win.

if she were a man, the media would have demanded an interview with a political reporter on the first day to discuss the issues.

by Lolis 2008-09-02 10:33AM | 0 recs

"I don't know"

You were dancing on the edge of lucidity, but....

You were right at that point...right after that, you and your goofy opinion lurched into the ditch of absurdity.

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-02 10:14AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

"I passed the CIC threshold. Certainly John McCain has. Barack Obama has a speech he gave."  Not verbatim but you get the point.

Trying to sell Obama has inexperienced was the centerpiece of the Clinton campaign. Of course "he" would of been called on it. Don't start acting exactly like the GOP turd in the video please.

by spacemanspiff 2008-09-02 10:19AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card
Obama is inexperienced.  However, given Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin, the choice is who's inexperience do you prefer.
IMO, Obama certaninly looks more experienced now!
by ChitownDenny 2008-09-02 10:49AM | 0 recs
How awesome

when your opponent shores up your weakest attribute.

by Neef 2008-09-02 11:38AM | 0 recs
Re: How awesome

HA!  But true.

by ChitownDenny 2008-09-02 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Um did you MISS the primaries and the pre-convention coverage.  Every attack on Obama was about experience.

by yitbos96bb 2008-09-02 10:33AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

my wife, who is very liberal and enthusiastically supporting Obama, made a similar statement last week when Palin was announced.  Basically she said "Nobody ever said this about Mitt Romney or Tim Pawlenty.  How is Sarah Palin any different?"  My wife is not a knee-jerk feminist, but she recognized right away the danger in belittling Palin's experience.  I don't see why we even need to bring it up.  There's so much more fertile ground there without the dangers of inflaming a (admittedly small) segment of the population (i.e. women who were considering voting for McCain and aren't scared away by Palin).

by the mollusk 2008-09-02 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Actually, I saw LOTS of people questioning Pawlenty's foriegn policy chops....

And, I am not a big Pawlenty fan, but his resume certainly seems stronger then Palins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Pawlent y

Look, here is the answer to that?

Does anyone think Oly Snow or Kay Bailey Hutchison would be getting the same treatment?

They chose someone the RR base would love, cause they don't care about anything but idealogical purity.

But, the rest of us have every right to ask if she is qualified, and I think (though I didn't want any of those other guys for idealogical reasons as well) you can make a stronger argument that Pawlenty and Mitt are WAY more ready then Palin is....

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-02 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

I don't disagree with you, but it does lead to a perception problem for the Obama campaign.  There's a valid and, in my opinion, better way to attack Palin anyhow: her wacko views.  In some ways, this allows Obama or his surrogates to say stuff like "this year's election, as John McCain knows, is not about who has the longest resume, it's about the ideas they bring to Washington."  Let's take the stalemate on the experience question.  The press is probably going to beat it to death anyhow.

by the mollusk 2008-09-02 11:13AM | 0 recs
You could apply that logic

to any attack.

"would they be attacking a man's views?"

"... experience?"

"... history?"

"... family?"

etc.

There is no attack that is bulletproof against the question of it's appropriateness.

by Neef 2008-09-02 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: You could apply that logic

But look, it's ridiculous to argue that being a governor gives anyone foreign policy experience and yet this country, more often than not, elects governors to be President.  The experience thing just doesn't wash.  Besides, let's say McCain gets elected and then Palin has to step in as President in a few years.  What's to stop her from selecting Colin Powell as VP?

I just think we get a lot more traction politically by focusing on her views.  McCain dealt himself a stalemate on the experience issue.  That's a good result for us.

by the mollusk 2008-09-02 12:11PM | 0 recs
Re: You could apply that logic

yet this country, more often than not, elects governors to be President.

For the brief snapshot in history that spans 1976 through 2004.

Before 1976 you have to go all the way back to FDR to find a Governor who was elected President, skipping over six Presidents who were never Governor of a state.

And we're not going to elect a Governor this year.

So I think the BUT AMERICAN ALWAYS ELECTS GOVERNORS! bit is pretty overblown.

by Collideascope 2008-09-02 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: You could apply that logic

ok, for the period 1976 to 2004, the U.S. elected governors.  Among those were Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, neither of whom held a national elected position outside of governor before becoming President and yet both performed admirably well in the arena of foreign policy.

(I can't believe this even needs to be said.)

As to the rest of my comment, I'll assume you agree with it.

by the mollusk 2008-09-02 12:40PM | 0 recs
You're right about governor, of course

But the same defense would have applied to Obama, and he's a man. It's not sexist to apply the same criticism to a male and a female, but it appears sexist in this instance.

As you said, it's the appearance of the thing.

The big question is WHY it appears sexist, and I think that's because it's an unfair question. In our current climate, elections are unfairly decided on unfair issues. Once you start asking "is that question fair", you tilt the playing field, because your opponent is getting asked why he watched "dreamgirls" in college.

Ultimately, it may be best for Obama to ignore Palin entirely, since ANY attack can be viewed as sexist - even holding her to task for her views. "Would you ask a man to defend the rearing of his child?" "Would a man be criticized for his faith?"

Paradoxically, ignoring Palin is itself deeply sexist. But I don't see a solution otherwise.

by Neef 2008-09-02 01:01PM | 0 recs
Re: You're right about governor, of course

okay, now I see where you're coming from.  I've said this many times over the past few days, but I think this gives Obama a huge opening to say that this election is about the ideas people bring to Washington rather than their experience.  I think that's a winning argument for him.  In a way, this focuses the election back on issues, which the Democrats should win in a walk.  The press will do its dirty work with the evolving soap opera of Palin's life.  The important thing is for the Obama campaign - and even its surrogates, not to get involved with this too much.  That would appear to be piling on.

I saw Ed Schultz on Larry King last night say that Sarah Palin was a bad mother because her daughter is pregnant.  That's expressly not helpful.

by the mollusk 2008-09-02 01:10PM | 0 recs
Agreed

And there's really no reason for him to pivot to attacking Palin, at least until she attacks him.

As far as Ed Schultz, I'd say the ratio of "helping" people to "not helping" people is few to way too many, and Ed is in the latter group.

by Neef 2008-09-02 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card
I disagree- attacking her inexperience isn't sexist at all.
When the Obama campaign floated Tim Kaine's name, many blogs and the media complained about his lack of experience (he is also in his second year as governor).
I myself complained about it on this blog.
Her governing experience is very relevant to the discussion, the main reason being McCain is the oldest man to run for president, and his health is not the best in the world.
If Republicans can question Obama's experience, why can't we question Palin's?
by skohayes 2008-09-02 02:30PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card
Are you kidding me? Plain wouldn't have gotten selected if she was a man?
If Palin was a guy, It would all Palin all the time....
by xodus1914 2008-09-02 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Actually, we WOULDN'T...because if Sarah Palin were a man, she wouldn't have even been CONSIDERED for the VP slot, based on the track record.  Hence, nothing to talk about.

by Raumfahrer 2008-09-02 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Playing the sexism card already... I figured they'd unveil that one a few weeks from now...

Using up their ammo while our powder gets to dry...

So, what say you Hillary supporters?  Are you buying what they are selling?

by LordMike 2008-09-02 10:11AM | 0 recs
I'm not voting for that inadequate white woman

So I guess my answer would be: no

by iohs2008 2008-09-02 10:28AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

I wrote a diary titled, The Sexism Card, 3 days ago and got called out for anticipating the obvious Rovian strategy. Use the backlash created during the Hillary campaign when over the top claims of sexism were as common as the real sexism that existed.

Of course, I deleted the diary, the tone of the first few comments proved that it would turn into a flame war. Didn't want that.

Nice to see you put it a lot better than I could Todd.

The "Gender" card is a big part of the strategy. Just take a look at the talking points that GOP mouthpieces are trying to sell.

Take a look Carville's face.

by spacemanspiff 2008-09-02 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

I saw that, too.  I was amazed at the spin and amazed that the spin got Carville to drop his jaw.  A fine line to walk, given recent circumstances.

by ChitownDenny 2008-09-02 10:23AM | 0 recs
Ladies and gentlemen,

the Vice President of the United States.

by Alobama 2008-09-02 10:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

WHO THE HELL buys an American Flag Bikini?

Alcohol and Rifles... THERE'S a great combination... Maybe we will see the VP NOM shoot someone this time around instead of the ACTUAL VP.

by yitbos96bb 2008-09-02 10:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

Please, no Kossification on this site!

by ChitownDenny 2008-09-02 10:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

Whats your point?

VP can't have gun?

VP can't be woman?

VP can't wear swimsuit?

VP can't wear swimsuit that obviously isn't designer?

Cause unless your point is very much confined to the gun aspect I think its a bit sexist or elitist...

by dtaylor2 2008-09-02 10:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

Maybe VP can't be loony?

by mady 2008-09-02 11:09AM | 0 recs
Put a man in a flag swimsuit

holding an assault rifle.

Still very whacko-righty, yes?

There's your answer.

by Neef 2008-09-02 11:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Put a man in a flag swimsuit

Shit, if that were a man, it'd be a Will Ferrell SNL sketch. No QUESTION that this is ludicrous.

by vcalzone 2008-09-02 12:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

sexist + elitist = GOP talking point

Give it a rest.

by Alobama 2008-09-02 01:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

Not needed! Her policy and issues are piss poor enough without dumb ass pictures.

Last time I checked MyDD was the men's room at at a auto repair shop.

by jsfox 2008-09-02 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Ladies and gentlemen,

Is that picture even real?

I agree, Admin, delete that post. The blogosphere is getting toasted as it is....

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-02 10:53AM | 0 recs
Bad photoshop begone

by JJE 2008-09-02 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

"I'll tell you what's demeaning to women, Representative BachMANN, expecting supporters of Senator Clinton to switch to Governor Palin BECAUSE she is a woman. A woman with positions against some of Senator Clinton's signature causes such as.... (Here list Palin's conservative idiocies)."

by MNPundit 2008-09-02 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

The issue isn't is Palin more experienced for Clinton folk.

The pick of Palin was pretty smart.

Already I see Obama claiming to have more experience than her.

But then McCain claims that she has more time in elected office and more executive experience.

Problem is both are right.

Both Obama and Palin are not experienced enough for the white house by traditional metrics.

Obama lowered the bar saying 2 years national exp is enough +state senate BS

Palin lowered it further saying 2 years national exp is enough +mayor BS

Why is Obama as a man allowed to get away with this as a man running against a far more qualified woman but as soon as its a woman with slightly less experience its a cardinal sin?

DOUBLE STANDARD.

That is sexism from the liberal wing of the democratic party...

by dtaylor2 2008-09-02 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Why is state Senate B.S.?

I get this a lot from the usual crowd.

Why is serving in public office at the state level in Illinois bullshit?

by spacemanspiff 2008-09-02 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

"The issue is that Hillary is more experienced and his machine is using the same smear tactics on a different woman."

His Machine? Another out of the wild blue crazy unbacked up claim, DT.

Of course, to you, you probably think Daily Kos is part of "The Obama Machine".

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-02 10:55AM | 0 recs
Nonsense

People criticize Obama's lack of experience. People criticize Palin's.  Neither of the criticisms reflect any bigotry or -ism.  They reflect predictable criticisms of two candidates who have held public office for a relatively short time.

by JJE 2008-09-02 11:59AM | 0 recs
The truth of this comment

is so obvious to me I can hardly believe it needs to be said.

But hey, I guess I shouldn't underestimate the bad faith and cynicism of lots of -ism arguments.

by Koan 2008-09-03 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

What exactly do you hope happens with this election?

by mady 2008-09-02 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

That they'll eventually be able to say, "I told you so".

by vcalzone 2008-09-02 12:57PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

You have a point.  Didn't think of it that way, but yes.

by mady 2008-09-02 01:14PM | 0 recs

Exactly.

I have seen three or fours posts the last two days of the type:

"You guys will be sorry when you see I was right about..."

They have switched from revenge for Senator Clinton, to revenge for themselves.

When we see they are "right" we will be hurt, and they will be proven right all alone!

We WILL be sorry....

Yeah, I'm sorry already they keep posting the same drivel over and over and over....

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-02 01:17PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Obama was SLAMMED for his inexperience, to the point of the GOP convention theme being "Is he Ready?". That question has been poured onto the airwaves for weeks.

Why was Obama so vilified for his inexperience, but we can't even talk about Palin's?

I got your double standard:

Democrat and Republican.

by Neef 2008-09-02 01:06PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

nice rebuttal.  I'll also add that Alaska governor is not national experience and basically unique compared with the rest of the US, which makes it less relevant

by KLRinLA 2008-09-02 01:42PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card
Well, dtaylor, as Carville reminds us- 18 million people voted for Barack Obama, while Palin was appointed in a last minute decision.
Do I trust the judgement of 18 million people who voted for Obama over the judgement of John McCain?
Hell yes!
by skohayes 2008-09-02 02:08PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Watch closely around 1:30-1:35 in this video after carville says shes had one 15 minute conversation with mccain. Bachmann's eyes FLARE. Is it that this comment made her angry, or was it body language for a sore topic?

by zavlin 2008-09-02 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Oh and...since she doesnt bring up or refute the 15 minute conversation point, we can assume its the later.

by zavlin 2008-09-02 10:36AM | 0 recs

Get her on with Rachel Maddow on MSNBC....    :-D

by yitbos96bb 2008-09-02 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Hey, when did Larry King grow a pair?  This is the second time I've seen him hold someone's feet to the fire in the past week.  Amazing.

by jq 2008-09-02 10:36AM | 0 recs
I knew Bachmann would crawl out from her rock

I have been thinking to myself for the past few days that Michelle Bachmann would have to be going nuts over the Sarah Palin thing, because it's proof to her that, if she serves God well and is a good wife that tows the party line, she, too, might become a vice presidential nominee someday.

I'm really sorry.  We tried to get rid of this harpy, but things fell apart for us in 2006.  If Patty Wetterling had just taken Mike Hatch's offer of being his Lt. Gov., we very well could have beaten Pawlenty, and Tiklenberg probably would have beaten Bachmann.  At least we got Klobuchar in Mark Dayton's old seat that year.

by Dracomicron 2008-09-02 10:49AM | 0 recs
Typical Republics

When discredited throw in some divisive inference to a divisive culture war: Women's rights. Not only does this smack of hypocrisy but it is sad at the same time. Are people really that stupid to not be able to differentiate between critique of one's record and discrimination based on gender? This only confirms how truly a cynical and political pick this has become. We should have known that Palin would be used as a political prop to create a division in the Democratic base. I just started school and all the women I talk to her aren't buying this snake oil, I only hope the rest of America sees through this as well.

by SocialDem 2008-09-02 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

It's official, the Republicans and the McCain team are going to use the gender card.

"Senior McCain adviser Carly Fiorina said Tuesday that Barack Obama, Joe Biden and other Democrats were engaging in sexist attacks on Sarah Palin, as Republicans continued to invoke Hillary Clinton to criticize the Democratic presidential ticket.

"I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin's experience," said Fiorina. "The facts are that Sarah Palin has made more executive decisions as a Mayor and Governor than Barack Obama has made in his life.

"Because of Hillary Clinton's historic run for the Presidency and the treatment she received, American women are more highly tuned than ever to recognize and decry sexism in all its forms. They will not tolerate sexist treatment of Governor Palin."

Fiorina pointed to a Monday interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, when Obama responded to GOP arguments that Palin had more executive experience than he or Biden did.

"Well, my understanding is that Governor Palin's town of Wasilla has I think 50 employees," he said. "We've got 2,500 in this campaign. I think their budget is maybe $12 million a year. You know, we have a budget of about three times that just for the month. So I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years."

She also pointed to a comment Biden made on the trail over the weekend, when he joked with the crowd at a campaign event that one of the "obvious differences" between him and Palin was that she is "good looking."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/200 8/09/02/fiorina-dems-launching-sexist-at tacks-against-palin/

by oden 2008-09-02 11:59AM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Obama people and Democrats have to step on this quick. Not only do they have Palin on tape saying that women should be able to take the heat, Obama has not participated willingly in any of this.

by vcalzone 2008-09-02 12:59PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

What is offensive to woman is Michelle Bachman and  all the other republican stepford wives like her.  I'd like to wipe that phony grin off of her face too.

by Lodgemannered 2008-09-02 12:20PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

I have to say, the experience thing seems more ridiculous than ever now.

Carvelle hammered that one home nicely.

by nintendofanboy 2008-09-02 12:45PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Careful of the gender card. Friday night Zogby's poll gave McCain a 2 point lead.  Rassmussen showed Obama 3 points ahead.  Pretty close.

by Cal in California 2008-09-02 01:02PM | 0 recs
Eh?

Obama broke 50 in one of the polls, McCain is still sub-45. It's not close, not at this point.

by Neef 2008-09-02 01:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Eh?

Whose poll showed the 50 break?

by Cal in California 2008-09-02 01:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Eh?

Gallup and Rasmussen (if you include leaners for the latter).

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/2/9 3021/40078/612/583148

by jere7my 2008-09-02 01:26PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Already busted, Zogby's poll is "interactive" therefore not a real statistical based poll.

But, of course, any poll that show Obama ahead is bad news for you, right?

Sort of like your first post here:

http://www.mydd.com/comments/2008/8/29/1 12757/660/60

What more is there for you to say after that, time to head on back to the friendly confines of NoQuarters....

by WashStateBlue 2008-09-02 01:30PM | 0 recs
Re: The Gender Card

Rassmussen tracker has it 51-45, Obama.
Gallup tracker has it 50-42, Obama.
Diageo/Hotline has it 48-39, Obama.
ARG has it 49-43, Obama.
USA Today/Gallup has it 50-43, Obama.
CBS has it 48-40, Obama.

And then comes the outliers.
CNN has it 49-48, Obama.
Zogby Interactive has it 47-45, McCain. (This is an internet poll so I'm not sure why we even talk about it.)

At the moment, I don't think I'd call it close but McCain should make a comeback as a result of the RNC.

by kjblair2 2008-09-02 01:40PM | 0 recs
The AP does it again

The stated goal of the AIP is to have a vote on succession.  See http://www.akip.org/

"The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives: 1) Remain a Territory. 2) Become a separate and Independent Nation. 3) Accept Commonwealth status. 4) Become a State."

The AP's latest article essentially denies that is one of AIP's goals.  See http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080902/ ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_politics

The AP article also states that Palin supported Forbes in 2000, not Buchanan.  They offer no proof or sources, and fail to mention the report that she was seen wearing a Buchanan button.

The AP has gone beyond favorable coverage; now they are simply parroting false McCain talking points without any fact checking or statements from other sources.

by Alan 2008-09-02 02:35PM | 0 recs
Let them sink.

Just posted on this in another thread
http://www.mydd.com/comments/2008/9/2/16 1956/5060/83#83  .

If we argue this GOP talking point on the merits, we are missing the point.

I've seen some that strike me as annoyingly sexist and unhelpful, some that to me are of questionable taste but funny ("Caribou Barbie" on Stephanie Miller), and some that I think are purely empirical.  No doubt each of you would rate them differently.

We could talk about that forever and never agree, and that's what the Republicans and their media trolls hope we'll do.  It's a classic GOP tar baby, intended to entrap us debate-loving Democrats.  Best way to deal with it is leave it alone.

The point is not whether some critiques of Palin are sexist or not.  The point is are we going to let John McCain change the subject or not.

If the media try to bait Democrats and our allies with questions about sexism, mythical PUMAs, comparisons to Senator Clinton, blah blah blah, we can either give them more ammo by getting engaged in that debate, or give a flawlessly bland answer and let that distraction sink like a stone the way it should.

The issue is McCain and his impulsivity, poor judgment, secrecy around his health records, dishonesty, cluelessness about the lives of ordinary working Americans, eagerness for war, history of corruption, belligerence and hostility, extreme right-wing views (esp. on issues important to women), etc. etc. etc.

They're desperately trying to change the subject, because if we pay attention to any of the above (or their pathetic convention--LOL), they are sunk.  Let them sink.

by chiefscribe 2008-09-02 04:26PM | 0 recs