GOP Convention Thread

Geoge W. Bush just began speaking to the convention.

Anyone else watching? Is it just me or do the maroon "Service" signs being waved by people throughout the hall look like big Hershey bars?

I'm twittering the convention HERE.

Update [2008-9-2 21:58:0 by Todd Beeton]:Umm, did he really just equate the "angry left" with McCain's captors at the Hanoi Hilton?

Update [2008-9-2 22:6:25 by Todd Beeton]:Haha, they scheduled Bush so he ended just before prime time began but the networks are leading their coverage with Bush's speech a few minutes delayed.

Update [2008-9-2 22:30:9 by Josh Orton]: Posted Lieberman's embargoed remarks in the extended entry, just in case you wanted to know what he says without having to watch the full Joementum...

Update [2008-9-2 22:32:59 by Todd Beeton]:Best (and by 'best' I mean fucked up) pundit line of the night: Tom Brokaw on NBC tonight said "I would not like to be Joe Buden debating Sarah Palin because she is going to have a lot of momentum by the time she gets to that debate if things go as well as the Republicans hope they will." Totally.

Update [2008-9-2 22:46:29 by Todd Beeton]:Was Lieberman this bad in 2000?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gwe9T LkJ5aTXM29zhuE2XyexTpJgD92UV0J81

Text of prepared remarks by Sen. Lieberman

By The Associated Press - 9 minutes ago

Remarks as prepared for delivery to the Republican National Convention
on Tuesday by Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.:

Thank you for that warm welcome. I am honored to be here.

We meet tonight in the wake of a terrible storm that has hit the Gulf
Coast but that hurts all of us, because we are all members of our
larger American family.

At times like this, we set aside all that divides us, and we come
together to help our fellow citizens in need.

What matters is certainly not whether we are Democrats or Republicans,
but that we are all Americans.

The truth is, it shouldn't take a hurricane to bring us together like
this.

Every day, across our country, millions of our fellow citizens are
facing huge problems.

They are worried about their homes, their jobs, and their businesses;
they are worried about the outrageous cost of gas and of health
insurance; and they are worried about the threats from our enemies
abroad.

But when they look to Washington, all too often they do not see their
leaders coming together to tackle these problems.

Instead they see Democrats and Republicans fighting each other, rather
than fighting for the American people.

Our founding fathers foresaw the danger of this kind of senseless
partisanship. George Washington himself -- in his farewell address to
our country -- warned that the "spirit of party" is "the worst enemy"
of our democracy and "enfeebles" our government's ability to do its
job.

George Washington was absolutely right. The sad truth is -- today we
are living through his worst nightmare, in the capital city that bears
his name.

And that brings me directly to why I am here tonight. What, after all,
is a Democrat like me doing at a Republican convention like this?

The answer is simple.

I'm here to support John McCain because country matters more than
party.

I'm here tonight because John McCain is the best choice to bring our
country together and lead our country forward.

I'm here because John McCain's whole life testifies to a great truth:
being a Democrat or a Republican is important.

But it is not more important than being an American.

Both presidential candidates this year talk about changing the culture
of Washington, about breaking through the partisan gridlock and
special interests that are poisoning our politics.

But only one of them has actually done it.

Only one leader has shown the courage and the capability to rise above
the smallness of our politics to get big things done for our country
and our people.

And that leader is John McCain!

John understands that it shouldn't take a natural disaster like
Hurricane Gustav to get us to take off our partisan blinders and work
together to get things done.

It shouldn't take a natural disaster to teach us that the American
people don't care much if you have an "R" or a "D" after your name.

What they care about is, are we solving the problems they are up
against every day?

What you can expect from John McCain as president is precisely what he
has done this week: which is to put country first. That is the code by
which he has lived his entire life, and that is the code he will carry
with him into the White House.

I have personally seen John, over and over again, bring people
together from both parties to tackle our toughest problems we face _to
reform our campaign finance, lobbying and ethics laws, to create the
9/11 Commission and pass its critical national security reforms, and
to end the partisan paralysis over judicial confirmations.

My Democratic friends know all about John's record of independence and
accomplishment.

Maybe that's why some of them are spending so much time and so much
money trying to convince voters that John McCain is someone else.

I'm here, as a Democrat myself, to tell you: Don't be fooled.

God only made one John McCain, and he is his own man.

If John McCain was just another go-along partisan politician, he never
would have taken on corrupt Republican lobbyists, or big corporations
that were cheating the American people, or powerful colleagues in
Congress who were wasting taxpayer money.

But he did!

If John McCain was just another go-along partisan politician, he never
would have led the fight to fix our broken immigration system or to do
something about global warming.

But he did!

As a matter of fact, if John McCain is just another partisan
Republican, then I'm Michael Moore's favorite Democrat.

And I'm not.

Sen. Obama is a gifted and eloquent young man who can do great things
for our country in the years ahead. But eloquence is no substitute for
a record -- not in these tough times.

In the Senate he has not reached across party lines to get anything
significant done, nor has he been willing to take on powerful interest
groups in the Democratic Party.

Contrast that to John McCain's record, or the record of the last
Democratic president, Bill Clinton, who stood up to some of those same
Democratic interest groups and worked with Republicans to get
important things done like welfare reform, free trade agreements, and
a balanced budget.

Governor Sarah Palin, like John McCain, is a reformer who has taken on
the special interests and reached across party lines. She is a leader
we can count on to help John shake up Washington.

That's why the McCain-Palin ticket is the real ticket for change this
year.

The Washington bureaucrats and power brokers can't build a pen strong
enough to hold these two mavericks.

And together, you can count on John McCain and Sarah Palin to fight
for America and to fight for you! And that's what our country needs
most right now.

What we need most is not more party unity in America but more national
unity!

Especially at a time of war, we need a president we can count on to
fight for what's right for our country -- not only when it is easy, but
when it is hard.

When others were silent, John McCain had the judgment to sound the
alarm about the mistakes we were making in Iraq. When others wanted to
retreat in defeat from the field of battle, when Barack Obama was
voting to cut off funding for our troops on the ground, John McCain
had the courage to stand against the tide of public opinion and
support the surge, and because of that, today, our troops are at last
beginning to come home, not in failure, but in honor!

Before I conclude, I ask the indulgence of those in this hall tonight,
as I want to speak directly to my fellow Democrats and independents
who are watching.

I know many of you are angry and frustrated by our government and our
politics and for good reason.

You may be thinking of voting for John McCain but you're not sure.
Some of you have never voted for a Republican before and in an
ordinary election, you probably wouldn't.

But this is no ordinary election, because these are not ordinary
times, and John McCain is no ordinary candidate. You may not agree
with John McCain on every issue.

But you can always count on him to be straight with you about where he
stands, and to stand for what he thinks is right regardless of
politics.

As president, you can count on John McCain to be a restless reformer,
who will clean up Washington and get our government working again for
you!

So tonight, I ask you whether you are an independent, a Reagan
Democrat or a Clinton Democrat, or just a Democrat: This year, when
you vote for president, vote for the person you believe is best for
the country, not for the party you happen to belong to.

Vote for the leader who, since the age of 17, when he raised his hand
and took an oath to defend and protect our Constitution, has always
put our country first.

So, let's come together to make a great American patriot our next
great president!

Tags: RNCC (all tags)

Comments

Re: GOP Convention Thread

Whatever on the "angry left" being equated with Vietnamese torturers.  At this point, I'm so numb to insults, it just doesn't bother me.

You know, what I find weird about this speech (aside from the extemely jarring cuts on TV) is that Bush doesn't take the opportunity to talk about all the times that he and McCain have tangled, and how he never enjoyed the experience, etc.  He could even point out that McCain was arguing for a surge before he was.

In other words, some distance!  I mean, I'm glad he's not, but what's he thinking?

And, um, Laura Bush?  Again?  Didn't she speak last night?  We already in reruns?

by bosdcla14 2008-09-02 06:02PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Laura's the only one with positive favorability numbers.

by TCQuad 2008-09-02 06:04PM | 0 recs

Woo-hoo!

Now I'm a terrorist and a Communist for disagreeing with Bush!

by TCQuad 2008-09-02 06:02PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Well, we always suspected the Commie part, but the fact that you are a terrorist is news.  ;-)

by itsthemedia 2008-09-02 07:00PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Yes i am watching but not to worry i am having my 2nd stiff drink.  What is up with the crowd chanting America, America, America.  WTF.

So after a couple drinks my views may be off but this looks like the Stepford wifes convention. Most of the crowd looks like zombies or the undead.

Creeepy.  david

by giusd 2008-09-02 06:03PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I want to hack that giant screen and start playing Thriller on it.

by TCQuad 2008-09-02 06:05PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I am completely sober and I thought they looked like zombies too.

by agpc 2008-09-02 06:16PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

To quote one of my favorite Simpsons episodes, "Sideshow Bob Roberts"...  "My God... The dead have risen and are voting REPUBLICAN!!!"

by yitbos96bb 2008-09-02 06:25PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Why bother calling him via satellite, when it seems obviously taped?  He kept stepping on his own applause.

When did they get so inept?

by DanielUA 2008-09-02 06:04PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Did you read Will Do today?

his morning, 96 year old Mrs. John McCain spoke to the PA delegation at breakfast. She told us the story about living in the Walnut Street Hotel in Philadelphia in 1941 at the beginning of World War II. She asked the PA Delegation is she could be considered a Pennsylvania resident. The PA delegation wholeheartedly agreed.

http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/arc hives/2008/09/john_mccains_mo.html

Everyone, including Skeletor, wishes they were from PA.

by dannybauder 2008-09-02 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I heard on BBC news that Palin hasn't been seen in public since Saturday. I'm guessing they've got her holed up in Cheney's bunker.

by Alobama 2008-09-02 06:08PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I had to copy and paste my comment from another thread because I think it still very appropriate to point out what a mistake this pick was:

Way to "maverick" this one, John!

This is worse than Harriet Myers, worse than Clarence Thomas, Robert Bork, New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, Steven Tyler's blues album, The Bacon Brothers, Ishtar, last year's Mets, Friends spin-off Joey, Fox Business, Rush Limbaugh's TV show, Chevy Chase's TV show, Pat Sajack's TV show, Any of Britney Spear's marriages, the 90's Buffalo Bills, Ms South Carolina, Sanjaya, Star Jones' marriage, pre-war Iraq intelligence, and on and on and on.....

by dannybauder 2008-09-02 06:09PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Fred Thompson!  "How about a round of applause?"  (not from tonight from the primaries).  Anyway, feel the Fredrenaline!

by bosdcla14 2008-09-02 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Reagan's retrospective sounds like it's voiced by Robert Davi.

You may know him as one of the the bad guys from Stargate Atlantis. Or the Bond villain/drug baron Franz Sanchez. Or the gangster from the Goonies.

Actually, at the moment, I can't think of any non bad-guy roles he's had. That may be Fred Thompson's magical ability to make me drowsy and forgetful.

by TCQuad 2008-09-02 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

hah! republicans are gross. ewwww. Fred Thompson ewww.

by alyssa chaos 2008-09-02 06:11PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Something the GOP does better than us...

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la- 090208-na-gop-g,0,4324099.graphic

Wonder how many of those states they screwed this cycle...

by dtaylor2 2008-09-02 06:11PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Freddy is hitting his lines.

They said he was going to hit hard on Palin.  Says she can "Field Dress a Moose."

by Stipes 2008-09-02 06:13PM | 0 recs

Freddy just bragged on Johnny Boy:

Apparently he likes the fact that John dated a stripper named the "Flame of Florida."

How's that go down with feminists?

by Stipes 2008-09-02 06:18PM | 0 recs

Wow!

Gruesome!

Freddy just took us through a verbal episode of "ER," with his little recitation of McCain's capture.

Holy Crap!  Cover your kids ears!  That shit's graphic.

by Stipes 2008-09-02 06:21PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

The networks pwned McCain. Bush got primetime coverage.

by spacemanspiff 2008-09-02 06:13PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

This has to be the worst convention I have seen in my lifetime.  Bush's speech is terribly uninspiring and unpersuasive.  I don't know who any of the speakers are other than him.

The RNC was partially predicated upon introducing Palin to the nation.  The fact that they obviously did not properly vet her shows their incompetence and lack of judgment.  Family might be off limits, but having a 17 year old pregnant daughter is an unmitigated disaster for Palin's candidacy as VP.

I doubt America is even watching given the on again/off again nature due to Gustav.  Since New Orleans didn't flood, no one cares about the "country first" bs they were propagating on Monday.

Also, their big screen television is way too big and bright this time and does not look good on television from many angles.  In 2004, I was jealous of their production values.  This time, the DNC has dominated the RNC in terms of presentation and message.

Today, I am more positive that Obama will be president than I ever have been.  Republicans lost their game.

by agpc 2008-09-02 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Lot's of old white people on my TV right now.  Does it look the same for the rest of you?

I'm watching CNN...

by Stipes 2008-09-02 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

yeah it looks like sunday brunch at the country club. [without the mimosas.]

by alyssa chaos 2008-09-02 06:25PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Too funny, the networks are only just now going to Thompson.  Bush still got the lions share of introduction.

by nextgen 2008-09-02 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I heard Jackie Rolle and Dunlop will be speaking after Uncle Fred.

david

by giusd 2008-09-02 06:22PM | 0 recs
I can't help but be reminded of..

'the Passion of the Christ'. Good god... POW POW POW-much?

by Tatan 2008-09-02 06:24PM | 0 recs

Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Being a POW doesn't qualify you to be President? Didn't Wesley Clark get chased out of town with pitchforks and torches for pointing that out months ago???

by TCQuad 2008-09-02 06:25PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Is it just me, or is Fred Thompson drunk?

by Graeko 2008-09-02 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Yeah he was slurring his words

by HCLiberal 2008-09-02 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I watched about 15 seconds... When Freddie said that we were afraid of Palin I nearly pissed myself laughing and had to turn the channel.

by yitbos96bb 2008-09-02 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Man if you want the country to be run by crusty old white people this convention is for you.

by wasder 2008-09-02 06:29PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Fred Thompson is choking on his spit.

Which is hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

by spacemanspiff 2008-09-02 06:31PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Yeah.  I noticed that too.  It was a little grunt, during the applause.

by Stipes 2008-09-02 06:37PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

hahaaa. beware the liberalism! beware!

by alyssa chaos 2008-09-02 06:31PM | 0 recs

Hate Lieberman.

Hate his traitor ass.

by spacemanspiff 2008-09-02 06:36PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

However it is hilarious to hear him call up Bill Clinton as a hero to this crowd who you know hates Clinton.  The cognitive dissonance here is deafening.

by mady 2008-09-02 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Agreed. Lieberman is a traitor and should be ashamed of himself.

Fred Thompson was hideous. I guess we are still the "angry left." Its as if the last 20 years haven't happened and "librul" is still the bad word it was in the 80's. Fuck all of them.

by wasder 2008-09-02 07:36PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Well, you do seem kinda angry.

by dMarx 2008-09-03 12:32AM | 0 recs

Whatever...

by wasder 2008-09-03 05:04AM | 0 recs
I'll say it right now...

The media has already decided that Sarah Palin will be the winner of the VP debate.  All she has to do is show up and, boom, she won.

I guarantee you, no matter what happens, she will be declared the winner.

by Will Graham 2008-09-02 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: I'll say it right now...

Not necessarily. If you watched her debate, she came across as really aggressive. If Biden can make himself very friendly and soft-spoken while still bringing up things she doesn't know anything about, he could either throw her off her game or make her appear kinda negative.

by vcalzone 2008-09-02 06:58PM | 0 recs
"Angry left" = Viet Cong?

This, above all, is what has so infuriated me about the Republican Party under the leadership of George W. Bush.

After 9/11, Americans were traumatized and angry.  We stood united, determined to forge ahead together, rebuild this country, and go after with dogged determination those who attacked us.

One year later, Saxby Chambliss's campaign was airing ads with photos of Max Cleland along side Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden.

The 2004 Democratic National Convention contained practically no explicit attacks on President Bush.

The 2004 Republican National Convention featured delegates wearing sparkling purple heart stickers on their faces.

The 2008 Democratic National Convention was marked with the overwhelming theme of unity - not amongst Democrats, nor liberals, but Americans, that we are truly not as divided as out politics suggests.

The 2008 Republican National Convention featured a statement from the sitting president of the United States comparing his party's political opponents to a foreign enemy.

To hear the chants of 'USA, USA, USA'... it's pretty clear they do have a deep love for the American people... provided those Americans think, and act, in total accord with their own ideology.

Perhaps some will forget this time.  Perhaps historians will forgive those who instigated the cultural warfare that we have lived with for these eight-plus years, as patriotic activists caught up in the zeitgeist of an uncertain era.  I doubt I shall ever be able to do so.

by JFMDC 2008-09-02 06:52PM | 0 recs
Re: "Angry left" = Viet Cong?

Actually, this means that angry left is not equal to Islamic Extremists. Which means who cares.

by ann0nymous 2008-09-02 06:54PM | 0 recs
Re: "Angry left" = Viet Cong?
They chant USA USA to try and portray the Republicans as the only GENUINE patriots. The REAl owners of Patriotism in any shape or form
This is the same bullshit ,year after year. I pray to god that the American people don't fall for this again, but I have little confidence.These phoney motherf...rs make me puke.
by Lodgemannered 2008-09-02 08:18PM | 0 recs
Re: "Angry left" = Viet Cong?
They weren't purple heart stickers, they were band aids with purple hearts on them. It was disgusting, especially in light of the POW, POW, POW lines we're constantly being fed from McCain.
Historians won't forget this time, Bush will go down in history as the worst president that ever served.
I heard on one of the news services that Bush was livid that he wasn't getting the proper respect he deserved at this convention. LOL.
by skohayes 2008-09-03 03:25AM | 0 recs
Why wait for November

Kick Libermann's sorry ass out now.

by ann0nymous 2008-09-02 06:55PM | 0 recs
Lieberman is exhibit A

For how to blow a VP pick.  Sorry Al.  But how fitting he's talking up Palin.  Think she'll be addressing the DNC in 8 years?

by Strummerson 2008-09-02 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

It strikes me as interesting and against the early commentary I read that the Repubs are having to play so much "shore the base" in this convention. Certainly we had to do that but we knew we had to going in. Everything I read before this convention was all about how McCain had to reach independents.

by wasder 2008-09-02 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Man Liebermann would have been a worse pick than Palin...God is he bad, I'd rather sit through a Catholic wedding.....

by hootie4170 2008-09-02 06:58PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I wanna kick Libermann in the teeth right now...I never hated a politician this much, this is only gonna get us Democrats even more FIRED UP!!!

by kbuggy 2008-09-02 06:59PM | 0 recs

LIBERMANN SUCKED..

by gladiatorsback 2008-09-02 07:02PM | 0 recs
The Rabbi just indicated that

McCain is 2 years older than the song "God Bless America."

by Strummerson 2008-09-02 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: The Rabbi just indicated that

ROFLMAO.. reminds me of one of those self critical jokes of mccain.. my social security number is 8.. ROFLMAO!!

by gladiatorsback 2008-09-02 07:14PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Wow. Lieberman makes watching paint dry seem fun.  How on earth was this clown the 2000 VP Nominee?

by NJDEM1 2008-09-02 07:04PM | 0 recs

Lieberman on the possibility of Palin taking over for McCain:

"Oh, let's hope for the best."

What a convincing argument.

by TCQuad 2008-09-02 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

> Was Lieberman this bad in 2000?

Can I get a "HELL YES"? 2000 Vice Presidential Debate. The question was about bipartisanship. Here is the end of Cheney's answer:

... It's possible to change the tone. It is possible to get people to work together and to begin to focus on achieving results. I think it will take new leadership. I don't think you can do it, with all due respect to Al Gore, with somebody who spent all the last 24 years in that Washington environment and who campaigns on the basis of castigating others, pointing the finger of blame at others in terms of blaming business or various groups for failings. I think you have to be able to reach out and work together and build coalitions. I think George W. Bush has done it in Texas and can do it at the national level.

And continuing directly, here is the beginning of Lieberman's response:

You're absolutely right. There's too much partisanship in Washington. It puzzles me. You think people in public life and politics would want to do what would make them popular, and too often people in both parties act in a way that brings down the institutions of government, and it's a shame. I have tried very hard in my career to call them as I see them and work with colleagues on both sides of the aisle to get things done. I'm proud of my record in that regard, and I certainly think that would be an asset that I could bring to the vice presidency. I worked with John McCain on cultural values. (etc.)

Cheney ripped Gore a new one and bragged on Bush, and Lieberman's reply was to agree, and then burnish his own bipartisan credentials by extolling the virtues of McCain (among others).

by itsthemedia 2008-09-02 07:39PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I've lost all respect for Brokaw. He was a pill during our convention, and now he says we should be worried because Palin is gonna have the big Mo? Tom needs to retire to Montana and take up naval gazing.

by Bob Miller 2008-09-02 07:44PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread
I guess I wasn't imagining  my negative feelings about Brokaw.
He  appears to me to be very much anti Obama and very much Pro McCain.
  He's a disgrace to ther memory of  Tim Russert as far as I'm concerned.
Only a few weeks ago I watched  him on Meet The Press ,as he gave Lieberman a totally free ride,and  gave Tim Kaine an incredibly hard time on every single issue,when they both appeared together.
by Lodgemannered 2008-09-02 08:41PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Brokaw has always been a big Jimmy Carter admirer so I am surprised to hear he now has this pro-McCain bias. Really odd.

by dMarx 2008-09-03 12:35AM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

D. L. Hughley is great.  When Larry King introduced him I thought, "Oh great, a comedian..." but he is coming across intelligently and he sounds sincere in his assessment.  We need to get him in more interviews.

by proseandpromise 2008-09-02 08:26PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

And what is Jesse Ventura doing on "Dems respond to the GOP Convention"?

by proseandpromise 2008-09-02 08:27PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Is it just me or is the Republican convention totally boring and lacking in energy?  The contrast with the Democratic convention is stark.

Looks bad for the GOP. Very bad.

by dMarx 2008-09-02 09:25PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Eh, watch it tomorrow and say that. They'll go apeshit for Palin. Everybody will. We can't start imagining that they won't. That NEEDS to be the narrative starting yesterday.

by vcalzone 2008-09-02 10:13PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

I thought it was remarkably abysmal. I try to be balanced and often I'm criticized on progressive sites for not assuming cheerleader mode, but my god that was dreadful.

The only thing the Republicans have going for them is scheduling realities, going second. That will probably keep the margin similar to where it was prior to the Democratic convention, perhaps a point more distant. If Obama had gone last this time the margin would have exploded. There's no comparison in the caliber of the speeches, if the equivalent ones are watched side by side, nor any similarity in energy of the room. But given this slotting of the GOP going second, it's like horse racing where the feature race is next to last on the card, and you leave the track impressed with the cheap horse who won the claiming race finale, the last thing you witnessed.

This may be an unfortunate comparison, but tonight reminded me of visiting someone who is deathly sick in the hospital, and trying to put up a brave front. You tell them they are going to pull out of it and they say the same, but deep down both of you know it's not going to happen. The conversation and entire experience are awkward. That's what I detected from the Republicans tonight, cheerful music and some forced energy but no genuine enthusiasm and more or less a death bed expectation, at least for this cycle.

Tomorrow will be the lively day, Sarah Palin destroying expectations and boosting the morale. McCain will be mediocre but that's a win by his standards.

by Gary Kilbride 2008-09-03 12:24AM | 0 recs
Re: GOP Convention Thread

Oh boy, ya, that convention looks boring.

Like the losing team's locker room after a game.

I think part of it is just the incredibly lame stage design. Sheesh.  Just so boring, I don't know where to begin.

by dMarx 2008-09-03 12:38AM | 0 recs
on a side note...

last week after every major speech, bill, hillary and Obama were on the front cover of every newspaper in the city.

This week, not so much with repugs.

Their damage control still isnt  working, cuz there are far more articles about Bristol than McCain and Palin put together.

Maybe because i am in New York, but i couldnt help but laughing all the way to school while reading the paper.

by sepulvedaj3 2008-09-03 06:56AM | 0 recs