David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

I know a lot of people are reluctant to sort of "judge" John Edwards for what they consider a private matter. I don't count myself in that camp. I agree with former congressman and John Edwards's campaign manager, David Bonior:

David Bonior, Edwards' campaign manager for his 2008 presidential bid, said Friday he was disappointed and angry after hearing about Edwards' confession.

"Thousands of friends of the senators and his supporters have put their faith and confidence in him and he's let him down," said Bonior, a former congressman from Michigan. "They've been betrayed by his action."

Asked whether the affair would damage Edwards' future aspirations in public service, Bonior replied: "You can't lie in politics and expect to have people's confidence."

Very disappointing.

Update [2008-8-8 16:18:43 by Todd Beeton]:Not to mention that it gives the right so much satisfaction. My Republican Dad might as well have been walking on air when he came in the door today, announcing the affair as though it were some right-wing triumph. Perhaps I'll bring up the fact that John McCain left his wife, in a wheelchair no less, for Cindy McCain? No doubt he'll have the same level of disgust.

Tags: David Bonior, John Edwards (all tags)

Comments

Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Maybe there is a lesson in this for all of us who get too invested in the politician and lose sight of the politics. We don't know these people really, we only know the image we have formed in our heads about who they are.

The policies have to be paramount, and we ought to try to minimize the natural tendency to imbue the politician with characteristics they may or may not possess. Edwards was not my friend, but I reacted the same way about his infidelity as I have when I learned of the bad behavior of close friends.

How ridiculous is that?

by QTG 2008-08-08 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Bonior is right. This is a betrayal of the people who worked for him and donated to him.  I know a lot of Edwards supporters who grieved when he dropped out. I can only imagine how they feel now.

I don't care about his personal life. That's between him and his family.  But he and Elizabeth must have known this would have been problematic if he won the nomination. Yes, Bill Clinton admitted he had an affair (or more)and he was elected in 1992.  But it's not as if that sort of thing isn't politically risky.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:23PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Um... Are you sure Bill admitted an affair before 1992?  I am pretty sure it was rumored but he DENIED DENIED DENIED the entire time.   It wasn't until the whole lewinsky, flowers trial, etc after he was elected it all came out.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

In 1992, the Clintons were interviewed on 60 minutes and Bill admitted having caused pain in his marriage. This was widely interpreted as his having had an affair. Gennifer Flowers claimed a long affair of about ten years.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:32PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Actually, They went to great pains to NOT say or admit to an affair.   So while it was assumed, he never actually admitted to it and not to Flowers specifically.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:35PM | 0 recs

From January 1992 --

Clinton and his wife refused to answer pointed questions from correspondent Steve Kroft about their marriage, and the governor appealed for fairness from the national television audience and the news media. Asked whether he had ever committed adultery, Clinton said, "I'm not prepared tonight to say that any married couple should ever discuss that with anyone but themselves." But he did not deny it.

Clinton's candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination has been shadowed by rumors of marital infidelity since before he announced in October. Last summer he told reporters he would not answer "Have you ever . . . ?" questions about his marriage. In an effort to blunt the issue, he and his wife met with reporters last September in Washington. Asked about the rumors, the governor said then: "We have been together for almost 20 years and we are committed to each other. It has not been perfect or free from problems, but we are committed to each other, and that ought to be enough."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/pol itics/special/pjones/stories/pj012792.ht m

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:39PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

He admitted it as close as he could without actually saying so. "causing pain" in a marriage really can't be interpreted any other way, especially in light of his reputation and the allegations that Flowers was making.

by Mayor McCheese 2008-08-08 12:45PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

In fact it was the 60 minutes interview that really helped launch him.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:32PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

I disagree. It saved him from being knocked out in NH and so he proclaimed himself the Comeback Kid.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:40PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

It helped re-launch him. He had been fairing quite well early on, then hit some rough patches with Flowers. This saved him.

by Mayor McCheese 2008-08-08 12:41PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

That's the flipping understatement of the year. Unless by problematic you mean "John McCain would win the election with at least 300+ EVs and we could actually lose ground in Congress in November."

All I can say is... thank God Almighty that Barack Obama is the Democratic Nominee and not John Edwards.
by Obamaphile 2008-08-08 10:27PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Technically McCain was seperated from her at the time, at least according to his book.  However, he did have several affairs with other women before he seperated from her.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:25PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

His book is full of lies about his affair. The LA Times article shows that the affair was happening before the separation.

by Lolis 2008-08-08 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

I'm sure that is the case... but then again, if I remember correctly, the LA TIMES article relied on a lot of anonymous sources.  It doesn't matter... he admits to cheating on her with other women before they were seperated.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:31PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

That is what he claimed in his book, but according to other reporting, the timing of the legal filings don't support that claim.

by lukeness 2008-08-08 12:28PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Again, it doesn't really matter.  I'm sure the truth lies in the middle as they say  Regardless, he admits to cheating on her with other women, not necessarily Cindy... which is almost worst... at least he married Cindy...  The others he just nailed.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:33PM | 0 recs
The LA Times DISPUTES that

and there are court documents that prove that he was NOT SEPARATED from his first wife when he had an affair with many women including Cindy McCain.

Where did you get that notion?

by puma 2008-08-08 01:00PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

I supported Edwards in the primaries, drove up to NH for him and ran as an Edwards delegate. I don't expect our leaders to be angels or have perfect personal lives and its not up to the public to make personal judgement on the Edwards family.

But if you're serious about yourself and your issues you have to have show enough discipline and honesty with yourself and the public to stay away from that kind of behavior.

If he stayed a private citizen the only people he could hurt were his family. But by going out there, running for office and identifying himself with the issues of poverty and class injustice he hurt all his supporters and frankly made us look like fools.

Did he really think he wasn't going to get caught? Edwards managed to raise issues and push the frame of debate in the Democratic party further left than it has since the 60s. By lying to us and engaging in such remarkably irresponsible behavior he not only discredited himself, but the issues he raised.

I just can't believe he thought a fling on the side was worth endangering his campaign for.

by alexmhogan 2008-08-08 12:29PM | 0 recs
the very silver lining

is that this gives an opportunity to bring up McCain's affairs if Republicans mention Edwards. Dems can say "John McCain has committed adultery too, also while his wife was physically ill."

by Lakrosse 2008-08-08 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

This really has nothing to do with John Mccain .

I believe this is best left for his family to deal with , every human being falls short in his or her life at one time or the other and I am in no position to judge anyone.

by lori 2008-08-08 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

At least a few Obama haters already have a theory related to Edwards that reflects badly on Obama:

Something ELSE, theres a rumor that BO blackmailed him
I was just on the Clintondems.com and a comment was about BO campaign black mailing him about knowing about the affair, and that's why Edwards endorsed him and not HILLARY,

Which as you see above, BLEW me away too.  I'm not sure I believe it, but with Axelrove, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Isn't this sad, we don't have A CLUE, what's true or NOT,

I know this much to be true, I couldn't take him or trust him with MY country and it's future.

PS also, ABC news blog, stated that Lanny from Clinton's campaign doesn't want a recall vote----God these people are THICK, how many does the lady in the pantsuit, have to SAY IT TO THEM---------------WHEEWWWW!!!

I almost can't wait till this is over.  They really make me DIZZY!!!!!!
http://alegrescorner.soapblox.net/viewRa ting.do?rateCommentId=8289

I find it very painful that a fellow Democrat could believe that sort of thing.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Alegre is a moron with an IQ smaller than her shoe size.  She is pretty much a waste of space.  Why would you even read the half assed rantings of an idiot like that?

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-08 12:37PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

This is one of her minions. And perhaps I shouldn't read her. However, I think it's worth folks here hearing what is out there in the nether-reaches of the anti-Obama blogophere.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:42PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Well, I found it kinda painful when people would push the theory that the Enquirer was a Clinton-controlled publication which was smearing Edwards to further some evil Hillary agenda.

Those people are out there.  But I'm not going to dumpster-dive for their comments.  I actually don't see how it benefits people one iota to hear about nutball opinions like that.

by Steve M 2008-08-08 12:45PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Alegre didn't make that statement.  It was posted by a commenter on the blog that she founded.  If blog owners are now judged by the the intelligence of each one of the comments left on their blogs, does your not being able to distinguish between the words of a blog owner and a commenter make Jerome an idiot?

by markjay 2008-08-08 12:45PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

No, she didn't post it. But she could remove it if she wished.  I guess it's fine with her that it's out there.  After all, she's now posting diaries that make other false claims about Obama's plans and the Democratic party.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

OK, then do you hereby condemn Kos and Jerome and every other progressive blog owner for every dumb comment they have left on their blogs without removing? Or does this standard apply uniquely to Alegre?

This reminds me of the Colbert Report show where Colbert posted an idiotic comment on Daily Kos and then immediately launched into a tirade about Daily Kos being idiotic because it included idiotic comments!

by markjay 2008-08-08 01:07PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Alegre has at the most 20 comments on a thread. That's very different from blogs with hundreds of comments.

Oh - and frontpaged over there now, you can find this --

Blame Edwards? Blame the Netroots.
by: Pacific John
Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 17:12:42 PM EDT

The revelation that John Edwards cheated on his wife is sad on the personal level, but really carries only one political lesson:

The netroots does a shitty job picking vetted candidates.

No more, no less. Throwing their support behind the two most flawed candidates, the netroots is batting .000.

The subtitle: this is not good news for Obama. It will be the netroot's fault when Obama's inevitable scandals hit. Superdelegates are you paying attention?
http://alegrescorner.soapblox.net/showDi ary.do?diaryId=538

Does Alegre have responsibility for what's front-paged???

by politicsmatters 2008-08-08 01:36PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair
Alegre is a bitter moron who packed up her toys and reneged on her promise to support the Democratic Nominee.

The progressive movement has no use for her or her ilk.

And I could give two shits how many of the remaining PUMAs take offense to my comments, because it's not as if they were EVER going to be convinced to vote for BHO anyway. It's mid-August, and if they're STILL not on the Democratic Party's train to November at this point, they're never hopping on. Time to tell them to piss off.
by Obamaphile 2008-08-08 10:37PM | 0 recs
DIAF

by JJE 2008-08-08 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

I was really surpised to see how much of the netroots thought that John Edwards walked on water.  To me, he was a somewhat lightweight  moderate dem who took a sharp left turn to  to try to fulfill his presidential ambitions.  Having said that, I think that some of the anti-poverty and pro-universal health care stands he ended up taking made a very positive contribution.

I am not surprised to learn of his affair, nor do I care that much about it.  I would guess that more than half of married men have had affairs, and, among those with wealth and power comparable to John Edwards, it is probably higher than 80% or 90%. The fact that he did this after his wife was diagnosed with cancer is both sad but also possibly explanatory (not an excuse, but a possible contributing factor, due to the stress that such an event can bring to a relationship).

As for condemning Edwards, I'll leave it to those who have never sinned to cast the first stone. My sympathies go to Elizabeth Edwards.

by markjay 2008-08-08 12:39PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

WHO CARES????  I don't care if it is Repug or Dem.  Why should ANYONE care what people do in their sex life?  I mean I do care when a Rethug hammers gays and then has gay affairs, or preaches abstinence and has a harem, but for god's sake, it is the ultimate in hubris to pull the "I am disappointed BS".  Larry Craig can have all the homosexual affairs he wants.  I don't give a damn.  i DO care that he pulls his "family first and gays are bad mmmmkay" BS.

This country needs to get a clue and for once in its life worry about something important.

by scytherius 2008-08-08 12:40PM | 0 recs
<ahem>

Any chance you folks might apologize to me for deleting my diary in which I relayed this story?

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-08-08 12:46PM | 0 recs
Re: <ahem>

I dont know if the admins will apologize to you, or that they even need to.

But I am sorry I made fun of you for repeating what the Nat Inquirer said....in this particular instance.

That does not mean that I wont make fun of you... the next time you repeat what the inquirer says =)

by SevenStrings 2008-08-08 12:57PM | 0 recs
Re: <ahem>

Thank you just the same.  I didn't want it to be true, but the Enquirer is pretty good at this sort of digging.  Whodathunkit, right?  I grew up partly in Lantana, Florida.  I'm pretty sure they're still headquartered there.  I know they used to be.

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-08-08 01:08PM | 0 recs
Re: <ahem>

In radio technology, there are a couple of terms that are very helpful:  probability of detection (Pd) and probability of false alarms (Pfa).  Any method of detecting (or reporting) things will have a certain Pd / Pfa combination.  As you tweak the guidelines, the Pd / Pfa will change ~ the relationship between Pd and Pfa and the parameters that you can tweak is called the ROC Curve (Receiever operating characteristics curve).

What you want is a high enough Pd (close enough to 1 ~ say 90%), and low enough Pfa (close enough to 0 ~ say one part in 100,000).

The national enquirer operates with a very very high Pd (99.9999%), but an atrociously high Pfa (999 parts in 1000).

They report almost everything that happens in the world.  They also report a zillion other things that don't happen.

PS:  I could have skipped everything but the last sentence, but I know you are a lawyer...so I thought I would bore you to death !!

by SevenStrings 2008-08-08 01:18PM | 0 recs
Re: <ahem>

Yeah right.

by Whash 2008-08-08 12:58PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Does this mean that Bush is going to admit to having started drinking again and having an affair with Condi? Cause I saw that in the National Enquirer too.

And since adultery is a capital crime in American politics while starting wars on lies that kill a million people is not, I have to ask where is the outrage?

Of course considering that Edwards isn't even an officeholder anymore, I am surprised that this is even a big story.

by wengler 2008-08-08 12:50PM | 0 recs
We owe him nothing

I don't care about his personal life but his decision to run for President with this laying in the weeds shows a blatant disregard for us as Democrats looking to take back the White House.  His display of immense selfishness should be responded to by a total lack of concern for him.  It is to our advantage to make this a big story and keep it one.  This is not about simply cheating on your wife, it is about cheating on your sick wife, it is about betrayal at a time when events call for selflessness.  As such this is more about McCain than Clinton and if played in the news long enough that analogy will be drawn.

by Piuma 2008-08-08 12:55PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Bonior is pro-life, Catholic, and a bit of a prig. He is a passionate politician who's heart is in the right place, but I don't look to him for guidance on issues like this.

by souvarine 2008-08-08 12:59PM | 0 recs
Todd Beeton

show your dad both the LA Times article about McCain's sexual affair as well as the article form England in which they interviewed McCain's first wife.

That will bring your dad back to earth.

by puma 2008-08-08 01:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Todd Beeton

If Todd's Dad is a conservative he probably doesn't like McCain anyways. When they call him 'Maverick' they do it tongue and cheek.  Some conservatives would rather lose this election than have McCain as President.

by dMarx 2008-08-08 03:04PM | 0 recs

Thank you for this...

I was very disappointed (well if ya read the comments, I was beyond that)to see a diary from an unknown bumped...

This is what I wanted...

I do believe, after 34 years of marriage that fidelity does speak to character.
Edwards like others before him is clearly lacking.

If there is anything positive coming out of this..
We have two major candidates for President.
One has been faithful to his wife..
One has not..

Watch for a revisit of the NY Times article on McCain and the "lobbyist"...and what was going on with his current wife when he was still married...

I believe irony is the fulcrum of our lives..
This focus on Edwards may just..also bring down McCain..

The glee of the ignorant believing they can can shout "Clinton/Edwards"....Democratic hypocrites...without bring this back?

by nogo postal 2008-08-08 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

If there is anything positive coming out of this..
We have two major candidates for President.
One has been faithful to his wife..
One has not..

And you know this how?

by markjay 2008-08-08 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Bullshit. Would you admire Edwards more if he dumped his wife because he couldn't handle the stress of cancer or whatever other reason, and divorced her and then went married his lover? I do not see how serial monogamy is so much better than monogamy with the rare affair.

I am sure Elizabeth is pissed. But spouses do many things that piss off other spouses. If he is good to Elizabeth in many other ways, this will just be a hurdle to overcome.

I supported Bill Clinton. If Hillary wants to have a fucking affair to deal with tensions in marriage, let her. MANY ORDINARY PEOPLE WITH HEALTHY SPOUSES HAVE AFFAIRS. I am a single guy who has met many "average looking girl next door" types who wanted to mess around at office parties or business trips. We are in denial as a nation.

by Pravin 2008-08-08 08:34PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Serial monogamy? What is that? You make it sound like a patholgoical behavior.

Sheesh.  We all know a lot of people cheat but that doesn't make i any better. Single guy.

by dMarx 2008-08-09 01:22AM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Yeah, would you prefer it if Edwards just divorced Elizabeth and started fucking around? And then reconciled back with his wife and then remarried her? He made a mistake. Get over it.

I am more concerned with Edwards giving that moron slut druggie 100K out of PAC money when she clearly would nto have been able to make that kind of money if she applied for the job independently.

by Pravin 2008-08-09 01:31AM | 0 recs
Hey Admins...

The newspapers are also reporting that Rielle Hunter's original statement denying the affair was made on MyDD...how about resurrecting that diary ?

Or at least, providing a link to it on the front page ?

by SevenStrings 2008-08-08 01:21PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

I am sick and tired of the Puritanical mores imposed on the populace, and our politicians.  If I/we lived in France, John Edwards would be former presidential and vice presidential candidate.  Today, in America, he is a philanderer.  Have you been to Paris?  It's fabulous!

by ChitownDenny 2008-08-08 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Sorry, but there's "puritanical mores" and there's common decency.  Cheating on your wife while she's battling cancer is about as base a violation of the latter as you can imagine.  Or is this something that can only be objected to when a Republican (i.e. Newt Gingrich) does it?

by JDWalley 2008-08-08 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

You want high stakes DNC drama...Elizabeth should introduce Hillary.

They have even more in common now, as sad as it is.

by mjc888 2008-08-08 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

It's not just that "it gives the right so much satisfaction."  It's that it validates the notion that the National Enquirer and other tabloids might -- just might -- be telling the truth when they break salacious rumors about a politician.

That means that, from now through November, every tabloid story about "Obama's Secret Love Child," "Obama's Unspoken Drug Addiction," or even "Obama's Hidden Ties To Al-Qaeda" or "Obama's Gangsta Youth" will be given a degree of credibility in the minds of many voters they didn't have before today.  And you can bet, with the right-wing slant of most tabloids, that you'll only see such stories about Obama, never about McCain.

by JDWalley 2008-08-08 04:27PM | 0 recs
I wrote this in the other thread....

but it seems a bit more applicable here.

I can't believe so many people are bringing up the morality aspect in the first place; most Democrats really don't care.  If anything his integrity is lost because he didn't address the affair in a responsible way before he ran for office--and not simply because he had one.  It just seems terribly senseless.

The press has long suspected the affair and he's been questioned about it before.  The republicans likely knew about this and were planning his October suprise if he won the nomination.

It's unthinkable that anyone who claims to care about this country would put this election at risk for our party. It seems to me that he cares more about his own ambition than America and that's the only moral issue I'm willing to raise.

by Tenafly Viper 2008-08-08 04:50PM | 0 recs
Don't be afraid

I judged Bill.  You did. Everyone did.  A lot of people still are.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-08 08:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Don't be afraid

I was one of the very few who commented on MYDD a month or so ago that I believed the National Enquirer story. Yet, I am one of those who doesn't feel like this is a big deal. Even before the Enquirer story, I pretty much assumed he would have an affair. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a one night stand with some other lady. I have hung out with some seedy people and it is amazing how many normal "decent" folk seek out hookers. My problem with Spitzer was his hypocrisy. Spitzer was harsh on prostitution when he was the AG, but then he gets involved in a high class ring himself.

by Pravin 2008-08-08 08:39PM | 0 recs
Not 100% the same

Lets ne honest, Cindy was stinking rich and hot.   John cheated with a poor skank.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-08 08:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Not 100% the same

Kind of a new age weirdo who changed her name as well.

by dMarx 2008-08-09 01:22AM | 0 recs
John Edwards can sleep with whoever he wants

Let us be realistic. His wife has cancer. Who knows what kind of effect that had on their sex lives. Many men and women with healthy lives cheat. That is a private thing. He did not try to ruin police officer lives like that idiot Mayor Kwame in Detroit.

Now was Edwards an hypocrite by talking about family too much ? maybe. But cheating on your wife is not the only dealbreaker in marriage. Some people stay married by dont treat their wives well in many other ways. We go way overboard on affairs in this country. Maybe Edwards cheating on her helped him to endure the suffering they have to go through as a family with the cancer thing? We can all wish people were ideal, but such stuff can tear families apart. Witness soldier marriages where the wives dump the husbands who return. Or other high stres or high profile couples.

Grow up people. He did not let you down. He only has his family to answer to. Now, I would like to know the source of the funds he gave his lover. Was it public? If it was, he must be prosecuted.

by Pravin 2008-08-08 08:30PM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards can sleep with whoever he wants

LOL! That is great. "John Edwards, not as bad as Kwame"  That is a winning campaign slogan if I ever heard one.

by dMarx 2008-08-09 01:24AM | 0 recs
Why is this country so puritanical?

If a politician cheats on his/her spouse it seems the world comes to an end. She/he is ostricized and thrown under the bus.

Will we never see another Morgan Freeman movie because he got caught this week with another woman and is now divorcing his wife?

Never mind Holywood and celebrates! If our corner grocery store owner gets caught cheating and his wife leaves him, are we discusted with him and go somewhere else. Cheating spouses are a common occurance and don't only happen in politics and the movies.

I wonder if MSNBC, CNN and others will have blanket twenty four hour coverage of a health Food store owner sneeking off with a customer for a weekend in jamaica and his wife leaving him when she finds out. How about when Uncle Martin at 50 has a fling with his secretary and his Aunt Millie changes the locks and won't let him back home. what would David Shuster and Andrea Mitchel say to that.

We put politicians on pedistals and forget they are human like us and have feet of clay. the funny thing is there is no proof whatsoever that it really affects their moral values and their desire to help the poor.

by benjaminsp 2008-08-08 10:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Why is this country so puritanical?

I think Edwards himself answered that question:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video_l og/2008/08/cbs_news_december_07_intervie w.html

by dMarx 2008-08-09 01:26AM | 0 recs
Re: David Bonior On Edwards's Affair

Todd, the key point of Bonior's quote is left out.

Young supporters who put their time and energy into his campaign with a newfound energy and idealism for politics have been betrayed by his actions. But the issues we cared about and fought for -- poverty, worker justice, clean environment and health care for all -- are issues worth continuing to fight."

by desmoulins 2008-08-08 10:55PM | 0 recs