Is It Bayh?

As many have noted, Barack Obama is set to make a campaign stop in Indiana on Tuesday, which is causing tongues to wag that Obama intends to announce Indiana Senator Evan Bayh as his VP pick on Wednesday. Bil Browning makes a compelling case that this is in fact Obama's plan. The most intriguing argument: check out where ObamaBayh08.com redirects you to.

Before I saw this post I was preparing to write one of my own that stepped back a bit from my pro-Biden prediction from the other day but it wasn't to argue in favor of Bayh. Rather, my thought was that there was one aspect of the "reinforcement" theory of Obama's VP pick that I felt Obama could not stray from; my thought was that there was no way Obama could choose someone who'd voted for the Iraq war, hence disqualifying Biden, and Bayh for that matter. I mean, if Obama's running on judgment, notably his opposition to invading Iraq, then how could he put someone on the ticket who didn't share that judgment? This epiphany led me to consider a new top pick: Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island. He's been somewhat on the radar -- having made Chris Cilizza's top 5 VP pick choices -- especially considering he was among those that joined Senator Obama on his trip abroad. Also, Obama and Reed are reported to have a great rapport, Reed is an Army veteran and has the sort of national security experience Obama might want in a VP and, perhaps most important, he opposed the initial invasion of Iraq. Not only that but a quick glance at his voting record shows someone who has not been cowed by the Bush administration. He voted against the Dick Cheney energy bill, against the bankruptcy bill, against Roberts and Alito, against extending the Bush tax cuts and most recently against the FISA "compromise." I'm sure a deeper look would show that the list of solid big D Democratic positions goes on and on. Now, this is the sort of senator we should be pushing as VP. Reed's not flashy and lacks two things that Bayh has: the potential to swing a red state to blue and the psychological benefit of having been a Clinton supporter. But Reed has that judgment Barack talks so much about.

And by the way, one more clue that Obama is likely to announce this week, both The Politico and William Kristol are reporting essentially the same thing: that the McCain VP pick is most likely going to come not only after Obama announces his pick is but actually after Obama accepts the nomination on Thursday, August 28, all the better to blunt the impact of the Democratic convention. That doesn't give him much of a window though since the Republican convention starts that following Monday. Seems to me the only reason for Obama to wait past this week (and announce during the Olympics) is to gain some advantage by letting McCain go first. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Update [2008-8-4 17:3:54 by Todd Beeton]:Whoops, should have done more due diligence on the ObamaBayh08.com thing. Apparently it's just some dude who owns the domain and redirects it to the DNC. Good one.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Evan Bayh, Jack Reed, VP (all tags)

Comments

weird that

this guy posts on a bunch of stuff that's been around the blogosphere for days and gets links for it -- the website for example.

by John DE 2008-08-04 09:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I don't have any info one way or another, however I have read on other blogs that the Obama/Bayh website was squatted on well before the primaries were over.

by rfahey22 2008-08-04 12:46PM | 0 recs

Before they were begun:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: OBAMABAYH08.COM
      Created on: 06-May-07
      Expires on: 06-May-09
      Last Updated on: 22-Feb-08

Administrative Contact:
      chan, joe  ___@yahoo.com
      __ commonwealth ave
      apt 47
      allston, Massachusetts 02134
      United States
      (617) _-__

by Jay R 2008-08-04 12:50PM | 0 recs
Reed's judgement on FISA?

By your logic, shouldn't Reed (IMO superion) different judgement on FISA be a point agaisnt him? Does Obama think Reed showed bad judgement there?

I think it wil be Bayh - Obama would rather have someone who's judgement was worse than his than better.

by ocli 2008-08-04 12:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

ObamaBayh08.com was purchased from GoDaddy almost 15 months ago by a guy in Allston, MA named Joe Chan.  The DNC says it has no connection to him, and that he redirected his own site of his own volition.  If I had $10 to spare right now, I could buy "ObamaHamSandwich08.com" and redirect it to the same site.

Far as I can tell, there's no "there" there.

by Jay R 2008-08-04 12:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I have long said that an Obama/Cloverfield Monster ticket would be able to beat McSame/Anyone this year though.

by Darknesse 2008-08-04 12:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

When you stop to look at it, Sen. Bayh brings a lot to the ticket.  Think about his executive experience (before senator, he was Indiana governor), the view of balance (a moderate albeit with some strong liberal votes), and possibly even the electoral votes of the state of Indiana (as an immensely popular senator in a red state.) Personally, I've always liked him...and the elder Senator Birch Bayh before him. While many outside the midwest--whose electoral votes are quite important--might not know him, he has been around long enough not to be classified as the new-kid-on-the-block.  That's important to a lot of people. Oh, since he also was a big proponent of Sen. Clinton, that "unity" aspect could be significant too.

by christinep 2008-08-04 12:49PM | 0 recs
There are no democratic moderates.

The media doesn't accept that they even exist. Bayh will become the 2nd most liberal senator in the country in a matter of weeks. Bill Clinton was a moderate, but he's painted as an ultra-liberal. Choosing a moderate doesn't get you anything. I'd also like to see some polling to show that Bayh would even put Indiana in play.

by Jawis 2008-08-04 01:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I follow politics, obviously not as much as the bloggers, but  BAYH?  He's good looking, successful in Indiana during a Repug era, but,,,,,  what am I missing?

Outside of Indiana, I imagine a lot of people who follow politics like me(  more than average, wayyy more than Faux watchers), are wondering.. of all the democrats in this strong presidential year, how did he get to VP?

Go Obama and Democrats.  I LOVE my country, but everyday under Bush I become less proud of her.  We have to stop the Slide in November!

by ocdemocrat 2008-08-04 12:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

If it happens, I think that there's a good reason: an Indianopolis paper reported this weekend that McCain has not and does not plan to open a single office in Indiana, while Obama is opening 25-30.  Maybe they feel that they can win Indiana, which would virtually assure a win.

by rfahey22 2008-08-04 12:53PM | 0 recs
Re: The guy is 53 years old

I guess my question would be...  why is Indiana still "red" then?  If the guy is so awesome why didn't he have any coattails?

--sam

by samizdat 2008-08-05 03:09AM | 0 recs
I'm going with Roemer

Bayh is cover. You go with Roemer who is from Indiana was on the 9/11 comission and was popular in Indiana.

With Bayh, we lose a senate seat. Nope.

by sweet potato pie 2008-08-04 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm going with Roemer

So would that ticket read something like Obamarama(r) 08? Or am I pronouncing it wrong?

by nibit25 2008-08-04 12:56PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm going with Roemer

I question your pick, but I agree that Bayh results in an immediate loss of a Senate seat.  If Obama is really concerned about reaching a filibuster-proof majority (which probably could not happen in 08, but may be possible in 2010), then I think that the politics weighs against his selection.  Though, Obama may not believe that 60 is realistically within sight even with Bayh in the Senate, and, if so, the loss of one seat given the current odds of additional gains this year is probably not that significant.

by Blue Bear 2008-08-04 01:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I will be the first one to post on Bayh-ers remorse if this indeed his pick. On the other hand some people would be raising Kaine if they went with my pick, the Gov of VA, so he is probably damned if he does or damned if he doesn't.

by wasder 2008-08-04 12:52PM | 0 recs
obamaclarck08.com is registerred too
Registration Service Provided By: Ikasp Natverkslosningar AB Contact: registry-ikasp@publikepost.com Visit: http://registrera-doman.se Domain name: obamaclark08.com Registrant Contact: JoachimRosenquist Joachim Rosenquist Tradgardsvagen12 Bjarred, 237 35 SE
by Exiled 2008-08-04 12:56PM | 0 recs
So is obamaedwards08.com and in chicago....
FastServers.Net 175 W Jackson Blvd 1770 Chicago, IL 60604 US Domain name: OBAMAEDWARDS08.COM Administrative Contact: Schaffner, Travis admin@fastservers.net 175 W Jackson Blvd 1770 Chicago, IL 60604 US 3122350936
by Exiled 2008-08-04 12:58PM | 0 recs
OBAMASIBELIUS08.COM
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com) Domain Name: OBAMASIBELIUS08.COM Created on: 13-Feb-08 Expires on: 13-Feb-09 Last Updated on: 13-Feb-08
by Exiled 2008-08-04 12:58PM | 0 recs
Re: OBAMASIBELIUS08.COM

Seriously?  That's not even the spelling of her name!

by Steve M 2008-08-04 01:01PM | 0 recs
Re: OBAMASIBELIUS08.COM
hahah! Good catch, but it explains alot about all the sites being "ready to go" squatted on by people who have no idea whats happening.
by Exiled 2008-08-04 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: OBAMASEBELIUS08.COM when done right
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com) Domain Name: OBAMASEBELIUS08.COM Created on: 29-Jan-08 Expires on: 29-Jan-09 Last Updated on: 29-Jan-08
by Exiled 2008-08-04 01:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I think people are making a mistake by thinking Chet Edwards isn't on the short list ... he is.  And this thing is far from over.  People overrate the Olympics, it hasn't been the big must-watch event for over 20 years.  Lots of political news will happen during the Olympics and people will pay attention.

by Dan Conley 2008-08-04 12:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

What does Chet bring? I think the guy is great, but I do not see what he adds, plus it would make his Congressional seat more vulnerable.

by RandyMI 2008-08-04 01:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

We can afford to lose a Congressional seat a helluva lot more than we could afford to lose a Senate seat.  Chet Edwards would be a tremendous asset on military issues ... the military rolled Clinton over and over again his first couple years in office, he needed someone like Edwards who could help him navigate the military bureaucracy and know how to fight back.  The "support the troops" cliche belies the fact that the military serves civilian leadership and often needs to be reminded of its place.

As for what he'd bring to the map ... nothing.  And I don't buy the argument that Bayh, Kaine or Biden would bring anything either.  Indiana and Virginia are going to be tough whether those guys are on the ticket or not, neither has gone Democratic since 1964.

by Dan Conley 2008-08-04 01:34PM | 0 recs
If you are going to pick a Congressmen

The best choice IMO is Joe Sestak.

Military experience, a workaholic,and a great campaigner (who ran a grassroots campaign for congress in 2006.)

by JDF 2008-08-04 03:14PM | 0 recs
annd clinton too
Coyote MassMedia 622 Hungerford Dr. Suite 2 Rockville, MD 20850 US 301-309-9722 Fax:202-478-0692 Domain Name: OBAMACLINTON08.COM Administrative Contact: Jacobsen, Nelson coyotemassmedia@aol.com 622 Hungerford Dr. Suite 2 Rockville, MD 20850 US 301-309-9722 Fax:202-478-0692
by Exiled 2008-08-04 12:59PM | 0 recs
Good Pick

Most running mates are neutral at best, Bahy actually enhances the picket and puts Indiana futher into play. Other the other hand, I can't help but think that Cantor would be a negative for McCain in the end.

by RandyMI 2008-08-04 01:05PM | 0 recs
And Reed too
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com) Domain Name: OBAMAREED08.COM Created on: 22-Feb-08 Expires on: 22-Feb-09 Last Updated on: 22-Feb-08
by Exiled 2008-08-04 01:09PM | 0 recs

I don't think so.

But his decision is of minor importance to me. I prefer Sebelius because she is so accomplished and a real fighter. I like that Kaine speaks Spanish and I thought he was a good surrogate for Obama on MTP awhile ago.

by Lolis 2008-08-04 01:09PM | 0 recs
Sebelius is accomplished?

Compared to whom?

If Obama is having trouble convincing the public that HE is ready to be president, how does it help him to have an inexperienced governor at his side?

by Radiowalla 2008-08-04 03:44PM | 0 recs
Re: How is she an inexperienced governor?
But virtually unknown outside of Kansas.
Popular she may be, but that doesn't flesh out her resume.
by Radiowalla 2008-08-05 06:52AM | 0 recs
Thanks for the troll rate, evantakesall.

My observation was perfectly civil, but some juvenile posters just can't tolerate an opinion that differs from theirs.

I am not impressed with Sebelius, ergo I'm a troll.

by Radiowalla 2008-08-05 03:21PM | 0 recs
McCain's timing

Seems to me that in an effort to blunt Obama's bounce, he is ceding an opportunity to force Obama's hand in terms of choosing a veep. If McCain took the initiave, he could try and drive the narrative. But he is being short-cited as usual.

by RandyMI 2008-08-04 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

We need a fighter, with no political baggage.  Someone who trumps McSame's BS 'Foreign Policy" experience.

WESLEY CLARK

by ocdemocrat 2008-08-04 01:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I just don't see how Evan Bayh fits any criteria that the campaign has spelled out as being determinative. He doesn't bring excitement, a key swing state, he doesn't represent "change" in the slightest. In short, he is a blank slate with no relevance to the greater narrative of the Obama campaign. I still choose Kaine.

by wasder 2008-08-04 01:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I agreed with everything you wrote until the last four words.  I think Kaine would be a disaster.  He's only marginally popular in Virginia and his choice would not be popular in the state where governors are elected to a single four-year term and are expected to fulfill that term without interruption of a campaign, never mind a resignation.

His major campaign plank -- transportation reform -- has gone nowhere.  He's Pro Life, which he could finesse in the governor's office because he has no policy role in changing the law of the land, but if he were to take over as President, he could very well appoint anti-Roe judges.  You think Hillary supporters will be happy to be slapped in the face like that?

He's also clearly the third most powerful Virginia Democrat (with Doug Wilder and Bobby Scott close behind), nowhere near as powerful as Mark Warner or Jim Webb.  He wouldn't be Governor without Warner ... he hasn't proven yet that he has his own coattails.

I like Tim Kaine and hope he makes the most of his last year and a half in office.  He'd make a fine member of the Obama cabinet after his term is up.  But VP?  He'd be a drag on the ticket.

by Dan Conley 2008-08-04 01:41PM | 0 recs
for the last time he is not pro-life

anyone who agree that abortion should be legal is pro-choice, regardless of what they think of the practice personally.

im for legalization, it doesnt mean im pro-heroin.

by omar little 2008-08-04 05:31PM | 0 recs

God, I hope not.

by James Earl 2008-08-04 01:42PM | 0 recs
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world

who doesn't chase every red herring the campaigns drag across their VP trails.

by Glaurung 2008-08-04 02:08PM | 0 recs
check out this Bayh

I thought Bayh was boring and not a good surrogate -- and then I saw this:

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/ 08/elkhart_abuzz.html

by politicsmatters 2008-08-04 02:09PM | 0 recs
VP is not decided yet

If Clinton (or another contender) knew she (he) wasn't going to picked and wasn't under consideration, then she'd (he'd) have been given the opportunity to publicly withdraw from consideration as a face saving measure, just like Webb, Reed, etc.

by 1st Republic 14th Star 2008-08-04 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: VP is not decided yet

Hillary sent a letter to the appropriate committee of the DNC and requested that her name NOT be put in nomination.

by msw4477 2008-08-04 04:29PM | 0 recs
Re: VP is not decided yet

Her name will not be put in nomination for PRESIDENT.

That fact that she has not asked to be nominated for President, thus assuring Obama of the nomination by acclimation, has no bearing at all on the delegates when they select a vice presidential nominee (or more precisely, formally approve the choice the presidential nominee has already made).

by 1st Republic 14th Star 2008-08-04 04:44PM | 0 recs
Maybe this is a crazy idea, but

I can't stop thinking about an Obama - Nader ticket.

This may be too far a stretch, but let me make the case. I caught part of a RadioWest town hall event with Ralph Nader the other day, and it hit me that he is inconveniently progressive, and the farthest thing on earth from being in the corporate tank. The votes he got in Florida in 2000 might have been the cause of Bush being "elected" presidunce, but he argues that there were other forces at work that are equally plausible blame dollies. Several things he said in the interview really hit home with me, and when I got to my destination, I put it to my sister that Nader might make an interesting ticket. Her argument is that everyone is so pissed off at him, it's the worst idea she has ever heard out of me.

Anyway, here are links to the iTunes Store URL for the free podcast,  or you can get the audio archive on the website.

Put him on the ticket and tell him he would have the inside track to direct government contracts toward sustainablility. If you have time to listen to the program, you'll get that he tried to sell VP Gore on that when he was "reinventing government." It would give big props to progressives and utterly defang Nader.

by Jeany 2008-08-04 02:24PM | 0 recs
Nader for VP

First of all- how many Democrats would go nuts at giving the guy who cost us the White House the veep slot.

Secondly, would his ego allow it?

by JDF 2008-08-04 03:18PM | 0 recs

I think nayh.

by BobzCat 2008-08-04 02:48PM | 0 recs
Pick a rumor...
any rumor..
put it back in the deck.
Now shuffle the deck.
by nogo postal 2008-08-04 02:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

Does anyone know what his approval rating is in Indinia?

I'm still holding out hope that it is Warner, despite his comments that he didn't want the job. He is super popular in Virginia and would be a perfect fit with Obama's message.

by Mr Sifter 2008-08-04 03:06PM | 0 recs

It won't be Warner.

Taking Warner out of that Senate race would be completely foolish.

by JDF 2008-08-04 03:19PM | 0 recs
Uh

ObamaBayh08.com is like a 6 month old story.

Also, Jack Reed flat out said he would not accept a nomination as VP.

Also, Michelle Obama is in Virgina the day Obama is in Indiana and that detail out WAY to far in advance. The Obama camp isn't going to let anyone know something that far in advance.

Sometime after the Olympics start Obama will be going to Hawaii. Then he'll return and has Rick Waren's summit on the 16th and a fund raiser the following day.

My guess for the date is the 18th. A week before the convention. My hope? Kathleen Sebelius.

by Populista 2008-08-04 03:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Uh

Aren't the olympics still going on that day?

I was thinking Monday of Convention week...

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-04 04:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Uh

Or Thursday... which means McSame has to announce during the Olympics OR the Dem convention or GOP convention week.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-04 04:13PM | 0 recs
Yeah

but they will be going on pretty much the entire time.

Obama's VP will still be HUGE news and he will get more then 10 days straight of media coverage about his veep and the convention.

by Populista 2008-08-04 07:21PM | 0 recs
Sigh

First we had the PUMAs. Now we have the concern and purity trolls. This place needs balance.

by RandyMI 2008-08-04 03:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

Sorry Bro, Reed gave his Shermanesque a week or two ago.  So he's out.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-04 04:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

Haha, always fun reading from that classic, thanks.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-04 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

I was an enthusiastic Hillary Supporter during the primaries and I support Obama now. But honestly, as more of these potential picks are discussed, Clinton as VP becomes more relevent and practical. She is known, she is tested, the woman is teflon. Unleash her on McCain and I can't wait to see what happens. How does he attack her and at the same time not offend her former supporters who are potentially his voters? Republicans who hate Hillary Clinton are not voting for Obama, Independents and other Democrats who support Obama and don't like Hillary will not vote for McCain over Obama. But wavering former Clinton voters can be pulled back in. BTW, add Hillary and Arkansas is in play. The combination of the two would be a media juggernaut.

by NJDEM1 2008-08-04 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Is It Bayh?

Obama doesn't know how to throw hard punches and neither does Bayh. We're doomed.

by Steve24 2008-08-04 07:22PM | 0 recs