Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

If John McCain believes that he can wipe away his large deficit among female voters by appealing to disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters through the pick of Sarah Palin, he might have to think again. Take a look at Palin talking about the "perceived whine" emanating from Clinton:

Ben Smith writes that "Palin clearly sympathizes with Clinton but also says that Clinton does herself and other women a disservice with the 'perceived whine' about tougher media coverage." This isn't exactly the kind of empathetic talk that the McCain campaign is trying to put forward at this juncture. While in reality the number of "PUMAs" is greatly overstated -- I believe there were just three dozen of them who managed to march on Denver this past week -- those Clinton supporters who are at least a bit reluctant to support Barack Obama at this juncture aren't likely to jump ship just because the extreme right, anti-abortion politician added to the Republican ticket who also happened to hit Hillary Clinton for whining is a woman.

Tags: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, White House 2008 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

I say just sit back and let this implode on itself. I'm watching CNN right now and even Campbell Brown is dumbfounded.

As Todd said a post below, there will, and should, be a backlash. It's insulting to women.

by recusancy 2008-08-29 04:27PM | 0 recs
and how do you know?

How do you know that the PUMAS numbers are greatly overstated?  Just a guess huh?  Well, thanks for that.

Personally, sadly, I happen to know 3 women MYSELF who are either PUMA leaning, or full on PUMAS.  Just my personal experience.  For reference- all 3 are die hard Democrats from a liberal state (and all 3 are professionals). All 3 have their own reasons for feeling "Puma-ish", and they are well thought out- REASONED women.

So, if I know 3 myself????

I say YIKES.

by easyE 2008-08-29 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

Darragh, is that you?

by randomscientist 2008-08-29 04:57PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

If they are from a liberal state, let 'em be!

by lqbruin 2008-08-29 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

Because every time they have an email campaign they make fools of themselves.  Everytime they try to organize a gathering they barely get enough people to fit into a mid-sized RV.  Because I recognize the names of every single poster on the PUMA sites I check out.

And last but not least, they're concentrated in New York and California, the opposite of "battleground".

Forget your three PUMAs - I know five - FIVE - 9/11 truthers.  Are they and their fellow-travelers going to swing an election?  Not on your life.

by Jess81 2008-08-29 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

and I know three people who have claimed to have had a Bigfoot encounter...

by JenKinFLA 2008-08-29 05:44PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.  Of course you're the original flea, so I take everything you say with a grain of salt.

I personally know TWO people who can even stand Clinton.  I know not ONE democrat who will vote for McCain.

by lojasmo 2008-08-29 06:05PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

I'm sorry but I just don't get you. I'm also a woman who supported Hillary and cried many tears of frustration over her treatment by the media. I cried those tears because I could relate to her struggles as a woman who rose high in corporate America and have had to work harder than the boys.

I admired Hillary's strength because she stood up to the establishment and the constant criticism and did not waver. I'm not sure I could do that.

Part of those tears were from the realization made that we have not come as far as I perhaps thought we had in the beginning, but we damn sure have come farther because of her.

To vote republican is to set-back women back immeasurably. If you don't see that, then I feel sorry not just for you, but for all women who will suffer the consequences of your misplaced anger.

I hope you are able to find a way back to the party that wants the best for you.

by Dari 2008-08-29 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: and how do you know?

I believe there are more PUMA's out there than believed.  I too have come across three white female democratic Clinton supporters this week who said point blank, they will never vote for Obama.  Two said they would not vote for McCain or Obama and one did not indicate if she would support McCain.  However, the refusal to support Obama isn't completely due to dissatisfaction that Hillary didn't receive the nomination or a VP offer because each stated they wouldn't vote for Obama even if Hillary had been selected as the VP nominee. In fact I'm sad to say, one, point blank said they could not vote for a "black" candidate and another simply alluded to it.  Had another "white male" candidate received the nomination instead of Obama, I believe at least two of these ladies would have fallen in line behind the party nominee.  All three women were 50 years or older.

by ShawninFL 2008-08-29 10:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

Imploding faster than I thought.

John McCain did not pick Palin because he thought she was the best.  He did this because he thinks she is going to win over Clinton supporters.  He did this to thumb his nose at Obama and at Hillary. Palin is not going to get those Clinton voters.

My boss, well now former boss as she retired today, was a strong Hillary supporter, although not a PUMA.  She was outraged that McCain picked a woman with so little experience, and so little respect for other women and womens rights.

She is more wound up then ever to get Obama elected.  I am sure there are millions of other women who are feeling the same thing tonight.

by gavoter 2008-08-29 04:42PM | 0 recs
Cafferty

said it best, "God forbid but if someone needed to pick up that 3 am phone call, who do you want it to be Biden or Palin?"  The republican on the panel went  numb!

by hocuspocus 2008-08-29 05:02PM | 0 recs
Not about Clinton voters
I just don't think this is about disaffected Clinton voters. Let's face it, if you were pro-HRC because of what she stood for, you might have a bit of trouble with Palin, because of what she stands for. To me, this is all about energizing the base (which McCain has done) and picking up the "bitter" voters in states like PA and OH.
by Fluffy Puff Marshmallow 2008-08-29 05:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Not about Clinton voters

Not all PUMA voters have any consistent principles. They were for superdelegats exercising their discretion when it suited them. Once they fell in line for obama, they were horrified by this concept. I am trying to come up with a new representation for PUMA - PYSCHOS USING MORE ALCOHOL. I am not too pleased with tihs first try. I need to refine the UMA part.

by Pravin 2008-08-29 05:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Not about Clinton voters

OK, need to clarify slightly.

What I am (inelegantly) trying to say is that I don't think this is about picking up disaffected women voters who supported HRC, many of whom have political beliefs that are diammetrically opposed to Palin.  I believe it is about picking up the so-called "bitter" voters that Obama has had such trouble connecting with.  Many of them are women, but many of them are men too.

by Fluffy Puff Marshmallow 2008-08-29 05:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Not about Clinton voters

Obama's winning the election right now.  Doesn't matter if its by 10 or 3, he is winning.  If he starts losing in the next two weeks I will concede that she was a decent pick.  I agree with Pat Buchannan, scary that I am saying that, that this pick is the biggest political gamble in history.  Things must have looked crappier than I thought for McCain, or he is really just a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy.

by Xris 2008-08-29 08:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

You all sound a bit nervous.  I think plenty of folks will give McCain a second look because of this and will now have a "historic" reason for doing so.  And, she looks like Tina Fey!

by demmonty 2008-08-29 05:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

She advocates slaughtering wolves so that hunters have enough game for sport...!

They may give McCain a second look, but as soon as they look past him to her, they will reject them both... and for good reason.

And WHO gives a DAMN who she looks like?  This is V-POTUS here!

by JenKinFLA 2008-08-29 05:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

This was a base choice... motivate the evangelicals.. it's classic Rove 2004, but with a twist... he won't be sliming Obama so much anymore... needs to evoke a softer side, so he can try to get a few suckers to move over and support this twit of a VP...

The gooper base really is fired up!  Way fired up with this pick!  We'll see what that translates into, if anything...

She's scary in more ways than one... but, the enthusiasm on both sides worry me... We think it's an awful pick... they think it's a great pick... normally, the gop is right more often than we are in these matters...

by LordMike 2008-08-29 05:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

DISCLAIMER:  what I am about to write is purely anecdotal so doesn't mean anything.

I work with a large contingent of Ron Paul/Independent voters.  Today we got to talking about Palin during lunch and they were unanimous in supporting Obama now.  By picking someone who is so inexperienced and has such right wing views, he lost his maverick status to these guys and appeared just like another Republican.  These guys have been on the fence all election season waiting to see who the two candidates picked for VP.

by Xris 2008-08-29 08:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Palin Hits Clinton's "Whine"

I'm glad that McCain picked someone that would diversify the leadership in the U.S., but I surely wish them success in being a complete failure and losing THIS election.

Also, I've heard that this picks targets conservative men as well as disaffected republican women voters (about 2 million)who did not vote in 2006 elections.

by Check077 2008-08-30 11:12AM | 0 recs
Deluded

That's what you are if you think this nuanced, carefully couched, yet respectful criticism is in any way gonna hurt Palin with women.

Now some of the s--t about Hillary's whining that went down on this site...that's another story.

Score a perfect 10 for compartmentalizing, though!

***A

by adrienne4dean 2008-08-29 08:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Deluded

And if any woman who supported Hillary thinks a vote for Palin is a good move for women....maybe they weren't for what Hillary believed in after all.

by royce 2008-08-29 08:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Deluded
Oh, I dunno.  Sometimes you gotta take the long view.
***A
by adrienne4dean 2008-08-29 08:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Deluded

You do know PUMAs hate Dean.

by parahammer 2008-08-30 01:13AM | 0 recs
She's Right

Hillary was probably treated harsher simply because she was a woman and the same will be true with Palin. Hopefully she can handle it. Barack Obama lowered the standard, the threshold of who can lead. Believe it or not, I am very appreciative that he did. Americans have a chance to take the country back from the politicians now...Because of Obama

by Wiseprince 2008-08-30 05:47AM | 0 recs