McCain VP rollout & last day

Dang, the nation is hearing today that alongside Obama's speech tonight, that McCain will be announcing his VP pick. Apparently, his VP choice will be informed today, and announced tomorrow in Ohio at 10 AM.

No doubt, they will leak the choice in the late hours, early morning tomorrow in order to try and squash the coverage of Obama's speech. But McCain will get a pass on that swipe from the traditional media, give than the conventions are so compressed.

The McCain bus goes from PA to OH, and then over to MO on Sunday.

Their choices: Huckabee and Romney appear to be out, as they are both at a 'unity' event in MO on Sunday and announced. Lieberman, Pawlenty and Hutchinson are the ones in the running according to the rumors. Hutchinson is the one that I've thought all along is their most potent VP choice, Pawlenty is a safe blah choice, and Lieberman is a potential game-changer, but not safe, as it could go either way.

The next 24 hours are going to be crucial to the contest.

The speech last night from Bill Clinton was the best of the convention. He was on his game. Joe Biden's personal story was very compelling. John Kerry has some moments, but overall it was Clinton and Biden that owned the night. I thought the attacks against McCain were done well. The narrative against "More of the Same" is something that could be picked up by anyone running against a Republican this cycle.

The one thing I'll note, is that if McCain does choose Lieberman, they'll try and turn that against the Democrats with some bipartisan brew. I just can't imagine that Lieberman is the pick, but it would be sorta fun watching the GOP partisans swallow that pill the next week, and there would be nothing that could fire up the netroots more than Lieberman being their VP pick.

Update [2008-8-28 10:56:18 by Todd Beeton]:OK, so now McCain is denying he's made the pick.

John McCain said Thursday he had yet to decide on a running mate.

The Republican presidential candidate has a rally scheduled for Saturday in Pennsylvania, where he is expected to appear with his newly announced vice presidential choice. He said in the interview that he was bringing both former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, two of the leading names on his short list.

But he cautioned against assuming that meant either one would be the pick.

"I haven't decided yet so I can't tell you," he told KDKA NewsRadio in Pittsburgh early Thursday.

That McCain, he's so cagey.

Tags: Republican VP (all tags)

Comments

Re: McCain VP rollout

Jerome what do you think of them taking saturday off?  Any chance that means its Liberman?

by Bobby Obama 2008-08-28 06:15AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Is it confirmed that its a night-time rally in PA on Friday?

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-28 06:16AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

First Read is saying the rally could take place before the Shabbat and that the Saturday rally is right near the end of it, with nothing really planned in between.

by Bobby Obama 2008-08-28 06:20AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Night time rally in PA on SATURDAY.

So arriving in PA at 6:00PM on Friday, scheduled for an event at 6:00PM on Saturday.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 06:21AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

I am pretty sure The DC Rally is planned for Saturday, right near when the Shabbat ends.

by Bobby Obama 2008-08-28 06:30AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Shabbat ends at sunset.  I doubt the sun sets at 6PM in PA in August.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:34AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

If he holds by Orthodox definition, it's 72 minutes after sunset.  So that's a good point.

by auronrenouille 2008-08-28 08:57AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

If the media covers this, then damn them all.   Brian William last night on MSNBC started blathering about making sure that the coverage was equal.  So far it has not been considering how much time they have given the GOP during the Democratic convention.

I know that it is horrible to say, but I am sorta glad that Gustav is going to be in the news heading into their convention.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 06:15AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Taking the attention off of Bush & Cheney on Monday isn't that beneficial. But isn't Lieberman also speaking on Monday?

The other thing I'll note, is that hurricane coverage does not mean less coverage for the GOP convention, just less in-depth, and in fact more snippets. I remember when Wes Clark announced during a hurricane his Pres race, and we in the Dean campaign thought that it meant no one was watching, but in fact, it meant even more heard about it, in-between watching the latest on the hurricane news. He rocketed up to the high 20's iirc, though he went down from that point on.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-28 06:19AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

I think the original poster was saying that a hurricane headed towards New Orleans during the RNC is going to be too ironic for the press to ignore, and may cause them to off-message the GOP's convention some fraction of the amount they off-messaged ours.

by alteran 2008-08-28 07:17AM | 0 recs

Exactly.

Not only that, remember how focus on the Family told all Christians that they should pray hard for rain tonight in Denver???  Well it looks like it is going to be beautiful in Denver today.

However, a hurricaine is a-comin' on the first day of the GOP convention.   Hmm, could it be a message from God??

The whole thing would be just to ironic to pass up.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 07:26AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

On the positive side, it WOULD mean that New Orleans would get immediate help this time.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 07:26AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Williams is part of the new - and unfortunate - pud guard of mediots.

They're not so much journalists as they are the guys who hit the 'start' and 'stop' buttons on the stopwatch.

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:31AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Story on Yahoo that Rove reportedly called Lieberman asking him to withdraw his name.

Remind me again which party has the unity problem?

FWIW, I just cannot see KBH... Reliable scuttlebutt says that they do not get along well at all, and while Presidential candidates sometimes put aside animosity against primary foes, has any Presidential candidate ever set aside acrimony against a fellow senator to tab for running mate?

I've still got money on Pawlenty, and I'm betting that's who he tabs...

I still pray for Mittens, though... but with the Cubs 33 games over .500, I doubt God loves me that much.

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:17AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

I asked about that with some Senate sources and they said there wasn't anything negative between them that they know of.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-28 06:20AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Might it just have been a rumor floated by Rove to make it seem as if Lieberman is someone he doesn't like?

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 06:22AM | 0 recs

You may be right...

My source is a former Senate aid (and a former Dem aid at that) - been out of DC for a few years now - and while I trust that she's not just spinning tales, I've also heard the same from a smattering of talking head panels.

McCain's temper is no secret, so it's entirely possible she was just reading too much into an incident du jour while ensconced in the DC world.

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:38AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

has anyone here taken a deep look at Hutchison/ Texas politicians generally have terribly full closets and bad civil rights records.

by Christy1947 2008-08-28 07:06AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Politico says she never was vetted... I certainly hope that is true...

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:03AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

There are two reasons Hutchinson is unlikely--McCain and she dislike each other, and she openly supports Roe v Wade.

ABC News reports that it looks like Romney has Secret Service protection this morning...

by feynman 2008-08-28 06:18AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Stop getting my hopes up!

It won't be Mittens... (but please let it be Mittens)... It can't be Mittens... (PLEASE, PLEASE let it be Mittens)

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:53AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

two senators vs. two senators?

I doubt it.  It's going to be either a governor or a former governor.

by Khun David 2008-08-28 07:52AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I wonder if Tom Ridge will be on the bus in PA heading to OH...

by Liberty 2008-08-28 06:19AM | 0 recs
I pray that they

pick LIEberman. Puh-leeeease pick him! It would be so awesome to see some wingnut head explosion.

by SocialDem 2008-08-28 06:20AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

McCain's going to pick Alaska Governor, Sarah Palin.  She is pro-life and will please his base.  Plus she is very appealing to moderates and independants.  I think it's a no-brainer for McCain.  There is no real down-side for picking Palin.

by karajan72 2008-08-28 06:21AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

No, he won't. He's not going to argue that his ticket has needed experience when his VP is far LESS experienced in politics on a statewide and national level.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 06:23AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Sarah Palin has more executive experience than Obama.  She's been a governor for several years.  She's experienced enough.  I think picking a governor is a smart thing for McCain to do.

by karajan72 2008-08-28 06:27AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Yes McCain. Please pick Palin. Those abuse of power charges really aren't going anywhere, I'm sure.

(She fired a guy for not firing her Brother-In-Law after his marriage to her sister went south. Kind injures the already tattered GOP brand.)

by Lettuce 2008-08-28 06:33AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

I agree that the investigation makes Palin not viable for this year, but based on what I've read the brother-in-law is real scum and probably should have been fired for any one of several bad actions. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but I don't think it will be enough to derail her ambitions for higher office in future years.

by blueflorida 2008-08-28 06:46AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

She has been governor for less than 2 years. That is not several by any known definition.

Beyond that, she is governor of Alaska, which is not exactly in tune with the pulse of the nation.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 06:34AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

She's also been mentioned as a subject of various corruption investigations.

by Christy1947 2008-08-28 07:08AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

There's a big downside to Palin.  She's in the middle of a serious ethical scandal in Alaska.

Sadly, she also just gave birth to a child with Down syndrome.  I can't see her accepting even if the ethical scandal went away.

by feynman 2008-08-28 06:30AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Not to mention, I suspect the AK GOP can ill afford to lend any talent to the national GOP.

They're about to lose a senate seat and their house seat... the Murkowski name is now mud... Tubes is done... Don Young is done...

Even for a party in serious trouble, I think there's more to the calculus than just what makes sense for a single cycle national ticket.   There were plenty of Dems that I think weren't or couldn't be seriously considered by Obama for precisely the same reasons.

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:51AM | 0 recs

I can't see it...

Whatever Palin's ethical issues -- she's steadfastly insisted on wanting no part of the AK-SEN race (obviously, no AK GOPer would so long as Tubes insists on sticking it out).

The word after the Stevens indictment was that she has no interest in moving to DC.  She's got a pretty large, young family -- including a developmentally disabled son -- and again, whatever her other ethical lapses, seems genuinely not interested in uprooting her family.

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:42AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Palin's who I'd be worried about.  I've written before that I think she'd be a sneakily brilliant pick.  There really isn't much to the abuse-of-power mini-scandal, and choosing a young, hot, outsidery, staunchly anti-abortion governor would shake up his campaign and give it all kinds of media juice.

But I don't think he's shrewd enough to do it.  He'll pick Romney, or if we're all really lucky, Lieberman.  He's gotta know the conservative base can barely stand him and certainly doesn't trust him on the issues that matter most to them.

by Koan 2008-08-28 09:47AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

No way it's Lieberman. If he was going for someone who is pro-choice, he'd pick Ridge or Hutchinson. I live in Texas and nobody here thinks it's her. I saw a poll that said 20% of Republicans would rethink voting for McCain if he picked a woman. I think the dark horse is Portman.

by Lolis 2008-08-28 06:21AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

He is going to pick Natalie Portman?  Wow, talk about going for the fanboy vote.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 06:41AM | 0 recs
I think he would pick Tom Ridge!

That would make it very hard for us. He could take PA could take OH and MI.

I saw Tom Ridge being interviewed yesterday and he sounded very cautious and a little nervous. Any advantage Biden brings could be totally neutralised.

by indydem99 2008-08-28 06:23AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

And then we can talk about his veto of the MN transportation bill before the Minneapolis bridge collapsed.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:35AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

What option would they have? Do you expect them to vote for Obama? Repugs would whip up enough hatred and passion against Obama that he would not be an option for many indys.

by indydem99 2008-08-28 06:39AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

They will not vote, or they might even block the nomination at the convention.

If you think that the GOP will allow a pro-Choice Republican to get that close to the Oval Office you are crazy.  This is the ONE issue that is the third rail of GOP politics.   They can suck it up on immigration.  They can suck it up on Social Security.  They can even suck it up on some tax issues (barely).  But they will not suck it up on abortion.

Have you even looked at the GOP platform?   They are now calling for a national ban on ALL stem cell research, even when privately funded.    This party is completely immovable on this issue at a national level.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 06:46AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

They'll sit home.

Dubya won by wringing every last ounce out of the conservative base.   As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I didn't believe it in 2004 -- Rove was right when he insisted he could win a race simply by pumping up turnout from the GOP base.

He did it.  Kerry actually won independents in 2004 by a razor thin margin -- but Bush pulled 2 million more votes simply by getting every last ounce "would never vote for the pro-choice Dem" folks out to the polls.

Will those folks pull the lever for Obama?  By and large - no... but they WILL sit home.

We'll never see a pro-choice GOPer on the national ticket in our lifetime sans a complete implosion of the GOP... we're talking 300 seat Dem House, 65-70 Dem senate type implosion.

by zonk 2008-08-28 06:46AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

Well, they may still go out and vote for downparty candidates, but then again, they might sit home completely.

McCain has decided to run his campaign on the same playbook that Bush used in 2004.  He is not running as the McCain of 2000 and the media has noticed that much.

He needs to get 'values voters' that Bush got to come out in 2004.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 07:00AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

Heh...

Well... I certainly hope that IS his plan, because he doesn't have the apparatus to do it.  The Rovian race in 2004 wasn't all messaging - it was also infrastructure, GOTV, organization, and grassroots level work.

His campaign is astoundingly bad on all those counts.  Those types of things do not just 'spring up' organically -- and you damn sure cannot create them in 2 months.  It just doesn't work that way.  It's what killed Kerry in 2004 (and to some extent, even hurt Dean in the primary... I say this as someone that did a lot of volunteering for both - there was plenty of energy, but no organization.  Canvas sheets and phone lists were outdated.  Organization was poor - and largely outsourced to unions and such).

McCain trying to message like Bush in 2004 would be a goldmine for us... That message only works if you have the infrastructure to make it work.  McCain doesn't.

by zonk 2008-08-28 07:06AM | 0 recs
Re: and St. Paul will burn

Well, at least their slogan won't be "Building bridges to all Americans"

by Khun David 2008-08-28 07:58AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he would pick Tom Ridge!

You overestimate Ridge's appeal in PA...

Hard core republicans are promising a floor fight if a pro-choice candidate is chosen...

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:06AM | 0 recs
I think the symbolism...

of picking our old VP candidate will be seared into voters' minds. Wingnuts are so afraid of Obama that they will quickly get over their disappointment and work their tails off for a McSame/Loserman ticket. I hate to say it, but in such a down year for Repugs, picking an Independent (technically, at least) may be McCain's only chance at winning. If he's figured that out, why would he not do it? Is he afraid of the Limbaughs of the world? In his heart, I think not as much as losing.

Thoughts?

by psublue 2008-08-28 06:26AM | 0 recs
It will be McSame/Ridge

It is a no brainer Ridge would bring great Electoral advantage to the ticket. The repug campaign seems to be very much focussed on FL,PA,OH and MI.

by indydem99 2008-08-28 06:33AM | 0 recs
Re: It will be McSame/Ridge

No, not really... he couldn't even help McCain win PA... Ridge was well liked there, but no superstar, and that was eeons ago...

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:07AM | 0 recs
Re: I think the symbolism...

The problem is that Lieberman will seriously depress an already depressed vote - evangelicals.  I think you underestimate how much they already distrust McCain, as a group, and how much that would turn into outright animosity with Pro-Choice Lieberman at number 2.

Also it doesn't really obscure the McCain = Bush argument.  Lieberman actually reinforces the foreign policy connection and does little to dampen the economic connection.

To buy the idea that Loserman helps, you have to believe that more undecideds will say, WTF, I'll go with McCain cause he picked an "Independent" VP than evangelicals will stay home because it seals the deal in their minds about McCain.

by NMMatt 2008-08-28 06:39AM | 0 recs
Re: I think the symbolism...

Not to mention liberals and Democrats who would be fired up to vote against Lieberman on the ticket.

It would be like Roger Clemens pitching against the Red Sox in pinstripes.

by Khun David 2008-08-28 08:01AM | 0 recs
Re: I think the symbolism...

More than just depress... according to Politico, hard core republicans are promising a floor fight if that were to happen...

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:09AM | 0 recs
Re: I think the symbolism...

There's another problem with Joe...

Joe's no stranger to pork - it's what saved him in his CT Senate race.  There goes the sturdiest 'maverick' leg on the McCain stool.

Then, there's the geographical issue...  Joey Lies might very well lock up FL, but FL was never going to be essential to Obama anyway - really, just a tasty target to put McCain on defense.

Where else does Joe help?  He certainly isn't going to swing any NE states - perhaps he doesn't hurt in NH, but he's most definitely not going to swing any NE blue states.

He does nothing for McCain out west and in the midwest.  He more than likely hurts in the south.

Sooo... Joe helps in 2 - and only 2 places... only one of which truly matters:  1)Florida, and 2)the media.

by zonk 2008-08-28 07:01AM | 0 recs
Re: I think the symbolism...

Actually, according to some recent polling, Lieberman is not popular in Florida and McCain would lose about 5% of the vote down there if he picked him.

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:10AM | 0 recs
Lieberman it is

Hutchinson would be smart, probably, but she and McCain have no love loss.  I find it hard to believe that McCain would pull the trigger on someone he really dislikes.

Lieberman would be a disaster.  Very little upside, possibly allowing him to muddy the McCain = Bush argument to some extent - though it is increasingly difficult to tell Lieberman and Bush apart either.  A LOT of downside.  He will turn off far more evangelicals who were already holding their noses at the prospect of voting for McCain than people in the middle that Lieberman might theoretically attract.

I think it's going to be Lieberman.  McCain is taking the hit to his media concocted maverick persona very personally.

by NMMatt 2008-08-28 06:29AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Married white women who live in the suburbs and exurbs decide who wins national (and statewide) elections in this country. They will like Kay Bailey (they would fall in love with Palin, but Palin's just not viable this year). Not with anything approaching the intensity of Hillary's following, but sufficient to produce a distinct effect, and to slightly enhance McCain's chances at victory. Certainly nothing that can't be overcome by O-Joe '08.

by blueflorida 2008-08-28 06:36AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Why would suburban women support such an anti-choice vp candidate, simply because she's a woman?  There's zero evidence that women vote on the basis of a candidate's gender -- they vote based on policy and ideology.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:38AM | 0 recs

KBH is pro-choice

by dmsdbo 2008-08-28 06:41AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

If that's true, then she's a huge problem for the base, just like any other pro-choice candidate.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout

Hutchinson seems to mix the worst of the choice issue - says she's against overturning Roe (so the base won't like that), but votes to restrict abortion (so suburban women won't like that).

A Washington Post-ABC News poll says McCain could lose up to 20 percent of his supporters if he failed to pick a hardline abortion opponent. This would seem to further dampen the prospects of Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison who, in the word of The Post, "opposes an abortion ban but votes consistently for anti-abortion legislation."
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/a rchives/2008/08/mccain-expected-to-annou nce-ru.html

Hutchison is against outlawing abortion. She also believes that the decision of the United States Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade was appropriate and secures a constitutional right, and that it should not be overturned.Although she has served on the Advisory Board of The Wish List (Women in the Senate and House) Political Action Committee, which contributes to pro-choice female Republican candidates for Congress, she is no longer on the board  and the PAC did not endorse her in 2006.  In the past years NARAL has given her ratings of 0%, 7%, 20%, and 0%, indicating that her voting record mostly favored enacting proposed abortion restrictions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Bailey_ Hutchison#Abortion_positions

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:53AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Not all women are pro-choice. Based on survey data I've seen roughly 40% of them would qualify as pro-life. Married women are the likeliest to be pro-life. Kay Bailey has skirted the line between pro-choice and pro-life her whole career. She will strike many as a "moderate" on the issue, which in fact is where most voters in general are. I think Hutchison will be able to muddle her way through.

That said, I think single women will have a much different reaction to Hutchison than will married women. Single women won't like her at all. But they're already for Obama by large margins.

by blueflorida 2008-08-28 06:56AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

And married women are for McCain.  So basically you are saying that the net-net would be zero.

Look, Bush won married women easily in both 2000 and 2004.  I don't expect that to be too much different this year.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 07:28AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Over the summer, thinking about who McCain could pick, I thought of Hutchinson. But now I've read that she is a poor speaker and they don't get along. Plus her record is quite conservative.  Just because the vp pick is a woman, doesn't mean that swing women voters will support the ticket, not when her policies are so bad.  And Hutchinson wants to run for Governor of Texas.

I still think Romney is most likely, although I don't see him adding to the ticket and could be very easy to attack on economics.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:37AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Although her record is conservative, she's wrong on the one plank so important to the GOP - she's pro-choice.

by dmsdbo 2008-08-28 06:41AM | 0 recs
We should be afraid of Lieman

I think contrary to what most pundits will be saying Libermann is the pick that will loose the election for us. The reason is the following--

1. Most pundits think that a Liebermann pick will divide the Republican party because of his views on abortion. That was probably true 2-3 weeks ago,
but I think that McCain team has identified the so-called ``born-alive'' vote to push the ``pro-life'' activists against Senator Obama. I think in the months to come, that will be the main line of attack.

2. It will reconfirm the lie that McCain is a maverick.

3. McCain will say that while Obama is speaking about change and bi-partisanship, it was him that reached across the aisle.

4. And it will just change the media narrative for the months to come.

5. It will also give an opening to those Dems who are uncomfortable voting for Obama.

No, I think Liebermann pick will change this election and in a bad way for Obama.

by ann0nymous 2008-08-28 06:44AM | 0 recs
Re: We should be afraid of Lieman

No way. You'd have a huge uprising among Republicans. That's why Rove has gotten personally involved to try to derail a Lieberman pick.

But I doubt it's him if the rally is at 6PM Saturday, which is before Shabbat ends (at sundown).

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 06:55AM | 0 recs
KBH is 65 years old

You'd have two very old candidates on the ticket.

And KBH offers no real legislative accomplishments.

The ONLY reason she'd be picked is that she's a woman. It would be the GOP's Geraldine Ferraro moment.

She is also pro-choice, which rules her out.

I think she's the Chet Edwards of the VP speculation.

Ridge would be ideal for McCain IF he were pro-life. But Ridge has been very publicly pro-choice.  He was also a disaster as head of the DHS (color-coded terror threats, etc.)

Romney and Pawlenty are most likely.

by elrod 2008-08-28 06:49AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I don't know much about Hutchinson other than she is Republican and from Texas so I assume she is whacked out nut case.   If so that would probably be a plus for McCain within his own party.

But I suspect that McCain thinks that Hutchinson would appeal to some former Clinton supporters.  I dunno.   What % of Clinton supporters backed her only because she was a women?  My guess not many at all.  I don't see too many women that backed Clinton lining up for a anti-abortion whacked out Republican.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-28 06:49AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

KBH is a perfect opportunity for the "Yes, we support a woman, but not this woman." And then run a picture of Hillary as a demonstration that there are good woman candidates out there, so much better than KBH. Unlike some of the other posters, I think that a lot of women who are still in pain did identify with Clinton in particular, which is why Sibelius could never have been nominated this year, on the 'if you are going to have a woman, it must be Hillary' theme.

by Christy1947 2008-08-28 07:17AM | 0 recs
KBH not a nutcase

I used to live in Texas and KBH is not a nutcase. She's a conservative Republican, but not a nutcase -- I know that sounds impossible.

She is fairly resonable and decent. She actually took some flack from conservatives a few years ago for adopting a baby and still keeping her Senate seat. The uproar was that a woman of her age would adopt and that she wasn't going to be a stay-at-home mom.

I never voted for her, but it never bothered me that she was my Senator. Still is as I live abroad and still vote Texas.

by carrieboberry 2008-08-28 07:43AM | 0 recs
Re: KBH not a nutcase

Thanks for the input.  Like I said I really knew nothing about her.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-28 08:03AM | 0 recs
Wow - so sad to see Mittens out of the loop

I would have loved to see him shredded.   I agree, McCain needs a historic move to counter the power of the Obama nomination.  That means reaching to a woman.  Hutchisson is seasoned, qualified and ready to go.   She would also come across as somewhat of a dark horse as her name only recently entered the discussion, which would add to the interest.

She would be a good pick for McCain, though not sure a good candidate.  She's dull on the stump, I believe that she's pro-choice which could keep the religious right home.

It's a gambit for McCain to play for some of Hillary's female supporters.  If he does pick her, then Clinton's role on the trail will become even more important.  She will have to make the argument that while it is great to have a woman on the ticket, Hutchisson is the wrong woman at the wrong time.  Will be interesting!

by activatedbybush 2008-08-28 06:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Wow - so sad to see Mittens out of the loop

Romney is FAR from out of the running, regardless of what Jerome says - methinks.

by dmsdbo 2008-08-28 07:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Wow - so sad to see Mittens out of the loop

Or Powell or Condi. In Republican token land, Condi hits both bases, and, for us, is plainly an idiot.

by Christy1947 2008-08-28 07:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Wow - so sad to see Mittens out of the loop

by Christy1947 2008-08-28 07:20AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

If this is true a whole bunch of people are continuing to lose a ton of money on Romney.  His VP stock is up 26 points to 71.  Lier-man is only trading at 5.  I'm not saying Jerome is wrong here, but the folks at intrade are.

by Why Not 2008-08-28 06:55AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I'd like to add that only one other is trading over double digits and that is pawlenty at 22.

by Why Not 2008-08-28 06:56AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Anyone who trades there might make some easy money on Pawlenty - even if he's picked u won't lose much.

by dmsdbo 2008-08-28 07:03AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Yes he is cagey.  He knows about cages!  He was a POW, didn't you know?

Seriously, I hope he picks Romney.  I watched Romney campaign in Mass. when he ran for governor, and he is not very good on his feet.  The only reason he won is because his opponent was hapless.  Biden will chew him up, spit him out, and floss his teeth with the thread from Romney's pants.

by writerswrite 2008-08-28 07:15AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

McCain's VP pick?  I can't remember this much tension and excitement in the air since the Detroit Lions announced their 5th-round draft pick.  All across America, productivity is plummeting as a result of the fevered water-cooler speculation.

I hope that guy giving a speech tonight doesn't get in the way of all the VP talk.  That would be annoying.

by Steve M 2008-08-28 07:23AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Why exactly would Romney and Huckabee be out of it because they are at a unity event .

I would think that would make it more likely it is Romney and since Huckabee has been really critical of him being VP , why not bring him along to unite the party.

If Mccain picks anyone other than Romney , then he probably wants to make it harder for himself to win the election .

It is a no brainer like the Clinton pick...

by lori 2008-08-28 07:38AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I think McCain needs someone who is perceived as being strong on the economy - he's going to get hammered with his comment that he doesn't know enough about the economy as he should - therefore Romney would make more sense than others.

by rfahey22 2008-08-28 07:40AM | 0 recs

You are right ....

Co , NV , MI is as tight as can be plus Romney can rally the base and talk about the economy....

If he his at a rally with Huckabee ( who was never in the running )  on Saturday thats a stronger signal that he would be chosen and Huckabee would be there to say I endorse him than indicating that he is ruled out like Jerome thinks...

Besides the most feared pick regardless of what the democrats say is Romney for reasons I cited above , like Clinton was despite what republicans were saying on TV...

I don't think the Mccain camp are that dumb to go with a pro choice candidate , the downside far outweighs the upside...

by lori 2008-08-28 07:48AM | 0 recs
Remember, evangelicals

don't like him. But, between McSame's and Mitt's homes, they can live in all of the 50 states!

by IowaMike 2008-08-28 07:58AM | 0 recs
It's risky to try to upstage this historic

Democratic convention.  He runs the risk of people saying "Oh? That's nice" and going back to the convention coverage.

by GFORD 2008-08-28 07:46AM | 0 recs
explain something to me

I don't understand the "independent" appeal if Lieberman is chosen. I would understand it if there were two relatively moderate politicians running on a ticket. But on one hand you have Lieberman, who outside of Iraq/Iran, is a Democrat. Then you have McCain, who is running on Bush's economic policy, social policy, political tactics etc. I realize that to this point he's gotten a free ride, but I just don't think it will last forever. Is it really a mark of independence and moderation to have two candidates that apparently disagree on everything but the Iraq war?

Also, I think that even though McCain has ruled out an explicit "one term only" promise - the fact is that it is highly unlikely that he would be a two term president. Are conservatives really going to vote for a ticket whereby in four years your candidate for the presidency is essentially a Democrat?

by highgrade 2008-08-28 07:46AM | 0 recs
McCain was a POW

You can't blame him for still trying to decide.

by Khun David 2008-08-28 07:49AM | 0 recs
Being a former POW

means it hurts my head to make decisions, without leaking.

by IowaMike 2008-08-28 07:57AM | 0 recs

OK so lets see

Mccain is going to be campaigning in Pennsylvania on saturday with Ridge and Romney is going to tag along.

Then Mccain goes to Missouri on Sunday with Mike Huckabee and Romney would tag along again...

And somehow Romney is not the VP pick....

That makes no sense , Romney is the VP....

by lori 2008-08-28 08:02AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Rove is pushing Romney, so it's probably going to be Romney... you think McCain gets any say in this?

McCain wants Ridge or Lieberman, the GOP won't let him have it...

If McCain holds any leverage, it will be Pawlenty... otherwise, Romney will be forced upon him....

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:17AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

According to Politico, Kay Bailey Hutchinson never was vetted... I hope they are right...

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:20AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Drudge says that they will "leak" the name at 6pm with confirmation at 8pm tonight...  how convenient!

by LordMike 2008-08-28 08:22AM | 0 recs
Matt Drudge: The stopped clock right 2x a day

Drudge also said it was going to be Bayh.

He hasn't been getting much right lately, but then again, I can see the GOP keeping him in the loop.

by iohs2008 2008-08-28 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

LORD, it keeps getting earlier. I wonder if they underestimate the speed with which Obama's campaign can come up with a response.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 09:05AM | 0 recs
It's Cheney.
Come on, it is so obvious.  yeah, 80% of the country doesn't like him, but the base loves him.  He has the experience, he has the knowledge and the base knows that he will keep McCain in line.
by gavoter 2008-08-28 08:35AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I am worried that he is making a bloder choice than anyone has anticipated if he is hyping it even a little bit.

If they thought it was boring they would not do this. Republicans may not know how to govern but they do know how to win elections.

by americanincanada 2008-08-28 08:38AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I too worry for a bold choice, but even a blah choice makes sense now. Any distraction from Obama in McCain's mind is a good distraction.

by iohs2008 2008-08-28 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

There are still tickets available for the 10,000 person Republican vp announcement event. If it were an Obama event, those tickets would have been long gone.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-28 08:41AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

You just know that it will be leaked tonight. They tried to steal attention last night by leaking that the "choice had been made" because they knew that Borger and King(what douches) would be too dumb to see they were being played. I expect the same thing tonight.  Gloria and John will be too giddy to control themselves and their blackberries. I honestly think that is why BO made an appearance lastnight...

by ND1979 2008-08-28 09:02AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

For the record, it wont be Hutchinson. He hates her guts which anyone who knows anything about the Senate knows.
As Marc Ambinder said, "He would rather join a gay rodeo than run with her".
Can't be any clearer.

On the other hand, McCain said Romney would be at the even on Sunday and at the one in PA Friday night.
If he is not the pick that would be kinda cruel to have him present at every stop of the rollout

by Benjaminomeara 2008-08-28 09:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney

Romney has been a team player for the McCain campaign since he dropped out of the primary.  He might not get the VP nod from McCain, but if not he's almost a lock for major cabinet position (Treasury likely, perhaps Commerce).  Romney's not the kind of guy that would pitch a fit if it wasn't him.  So, while it wouldn't surprise me if Romney was the pick, it also wasn't surprise me if he attended the events but was not the pick.

by Mose 2008-08-28 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I think it's Mittens and this day just keeps getting better and better.

1. Don't believe any of the daily tracking polls.  They tend to play into the media narrative and nothing the Dems did this week seemed to please any of the pundits.

2. According to Halperin, the Secret Service did a sweep of Romney's sisters' home.

3. The GOP are putting up McCain POW ads during the RNCC which say: "This is where John McCain was starved, beaten, tortured, and maimed for life. So the next time Barack Obama talks about one of John McCain's homes, remember this one."

4. McCain is doing some special super duper ad according to his campaign during or before Obama's big speech which is top secret and nothing we've ever seen before.  It's probably going to come off as looking really petty and trying to steal the limelight.

by venavena 2008-08-28 10:22AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I read that Hutchinson was not vetted. As for the line about not having made a choice yet, perhaps they cancelled the Ohio event since they cannot get anyone to attend.

by RandyMI 2008-08-28 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

I can just see then exasperation on Biden's face when he debates Romney! Kinda like, "are you kidding me? He didn't just say that, did he?"

by ND1979 2008-08-28 10:40AM | 0 recs
I doubt it'll be Lieberman

There's a very real possibility that the RNC would refuse to nominate him, and that would be the end of McCain's candidacy.

by Angry White Democrat 2008-08-28 11:05AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

Two things that I noticed people aren't mentioning about Lieberman.

1. He is a LIBERAL. On matters other than national security, he's been a reliable pro-labor vote and on most other liberal social issues as well. It is one reason why he is still welcome in the Caucus. On most votes, he votes with the Dems.

2.  He is a Jew. For most main-stream Christian denominations, that is not a threat. But the old "they killed Christ" feeling is alive and well in some evangelical groups. They align with Israel only because they are hastening the endtimes.
Getting many evangelicals out to vote Republican is partly a matter of politicizing the pulpit. Some pulpits will definitely be muted about the ticket if the VP is Jewish.

So, McCain adds a liberal, pro-choice Jew to the ticket? I think it starts a big fight at the convention and drives down evangelical enthusiasm and turnout in November.

by anoregonreader 2008-08-28 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain VP rollout & last day

You do realize Hutchinson is pro-choice. While she favors some restrictions she has stated that she believes in the fundamental tenant of Roe v. Wade.

by southerndemnut 2008-08-28 06:15PM | 0 recs