Inside Mile High Stadium

It's quite a chaotic scene here - huge, 2-hour wait to get through security. People are still filing in and the line outside still snakes (I'm told) a mile or more.

One inside, you need at least a graduate degree in statistics to figure out where you sit with any given credential. And then outlets, internet...

All that quasi-settled, the atmosphere is electric. Richardson is speaking now, and used the line 'John McCain pays hundreds for his shoes, but we're the ones paying for his flip-flops.' Not bad.

Can't wait to see Stevie. Hoping he plays "As." I've seen him live once, and he's incredible.

How does it look on TV?

Update [2008-8-28 20:50:0 by Josh Orton]: Al Gore up! On McCain continuing Bush/Cheney policies: "I believe in recycling, but this is ridiculous."

Update [2008-8-28 21:21:24 by Josh Orton]: Stevie!

IMG_0417

Update [2008-8-28 21:21:24 by Josh Orton]: Wes Clark comes on the stage as part of the program - buried among a dozen other military figures.

Update [2008-8-28 21:24:25 by Josh Orton]: Gen. Clark walks on and off the stage without saying a single word. Unbelievable.

Update [2008-8-28 21:47:52 by Josh Orton]: Playing Springsteen's great "Born in the USA" in the arena. Taking this song back from Ronald Reagan's misappropriation in the 80's.

Tags: DNCC (all tags)

Comments

Re: Inside Mile High Stadium
It looks like it's going to be a fun night!
The crowd is HUGE!
by skohayes 2008-08-28 04:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

It looks absolutely magical on television...

I still find it baffling that anyone could demonize this moment, because we know it is coming...

Now John McCain is giving away free tickets to hope to fill a 10,000 seat venue for his rally 2maro.

How pathetic...

by Justin Pugh 2008-08-28 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

You belie a shallow spirit when you compare the crowd showing up for a rock concert with the crowd showing up for a political rally.   Does having large numbers of people able to travel to a faraway place and listen to loud music REALLY make you a better person or a better leader?   The majority of Americans live lives related to their children, their jobs, their churches, and their communities.   They vote, sir, but they don't give a s*** about your rock concert.

by miker2008 2008-08-28 05:53PM | 0 recs

Yes, it does.  :)

by rfahey22 2008-08-28 06:01PM | 0 recs
Oh my God

It's one of the greatest speeches in American history.

by Beltway Dem 2008-08-28 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

You might want to listen to his speech.  Seems like a lot of it is talking to working Americans, not a bunch of rock concert goers.

So please, can the hyperbolic GOP talking points and open your ears.

by tlhwraith 2008-08-28 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

bitterness is just unattractive.

by Lolis 2008-08-28 04:30PM | 0 recs
As much as Bill Richardson wants the limelight,

he'll always be a Judas in my eyes, not to mention his talent for being able to bore a hibernating grizzly.

by Lakrosse 2008-08-28 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: As much as Bill Richardson wants the limelight

go away.

by JDF 2008-08-28 04:35PM | 0 recs
Let me get this straight...

When a Democratic woman votes for a Republican, she is "voting her conscience".

When a Democratic governor votes for a Democrat, he is "a Judas".

Pardon my French, but...what the fuck is wrong with you, you fucking hypocrite?

by Elsinora 2008-08-28 05:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Let me get this straight...

Pardon my French, but...what the fuck is wrong with you, you fucking hypocrite?

Let me take a stab at it:
Bill Clinton appointed Bill Richardson to a cabinet position.  Therefore, Bill Clinton's wife was owed Bill Richardson's support (or at least his neutrality).

A wife running for office is owed political support because of what her husband did while in office - hard to get much more sexist than that, isn't it?

by Collideascope 2008-08-28 05:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Let me get this straight...

I'd gander a guess that it was more than an expectation.  Generally people talk to each other & expectations are made via promises & conversation.  He had probably promised his support already & something caused him to change when things starting changing & Obama was looking more like the nominee- speculation at the time was that of a backroom deal with Obama to be his VP. Of course that would only alienate people now so it couldn't happen.  That is why there are issues apparent with his endorsement; it didn't have the full ring of truth to it.  It is what it is at the end of the day but to suggest something wasn't amiss is naive.

by jrsygrl 2008-08-28 05:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Let me get this straight...

"probably"

"speculation"

"ring of truth"

"it is what it is"

Um ... okay ... you've convinced me.

What a Judas!

He was OBLIGATED not to endorse Obama!
He OWED Clinton!

How's that?

Sheeeesh ...

Oh, well, in the realm of Biblical analogies I guess it could be worse ... he could be Lucifer ...

by Collideascope 2008-08-28 06:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Let me get this straight...

I based my answer upon how real life works.  God forbid I try to explain a thought process and actually take the position of not stating things as absolutes, but admitting to making an interpretation based upon life experience.  It was given as answer to the question of Why the point of view exists.  I can see now why he statement then deserves complete ridicule @@

by jrsygrl 2008-08-30 04:19AM | 0 recs
Re: As much as Bill Richardson wants the limelight

By that rationale, you would be a rat fink traitor judas if you voted for McCain.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:01PM | 0 recs
Re: As much as Bill Richardson wants the limelight

Ummm...

Yeah...

John McCain may pay hundreds of dollars for his shoes, but we'll all be paying for his flip-flops.

Even the grizzlies were chuckling at that one.

by zonk 2008-08-28 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

heh BTD over at Talk Left can't stand it, doesn't see the point politically.

to bad some people just don't get it, we had 3 nights of speeches, 75,000 people did not come to hear hours and hours of people attacking McCain they are there for Obama,

and as this post shows the Obama camp wants to make it something they remember, as Robert Gibbs says, there are 30,000 Coloradans there right now, if Colorado is still within 1-2% on election day, don't we want those 30,000 people to spend the next 2 months talking about this night and how exciting it was?

anyone watching this think that people live WON'T talk about it to friends and family when they leave?

whats that mean for Obama in CO?

I think all of this is great and really sad I couldn't be there

by TruthMatters 2008-08-28 04:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Many of my friends and all of my co-workers are there (I drew the short straw.) If we win Colorado this cycle we are going to point to this day as an important part of that win.

by JDF 2008-08-28 04:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

I wouldn't bother reading Talk Left precisely because they often take shots at Obama just to be takingthem. They live in a bubbble reaility. For the record, I have no idea what the impact of the outdoor speech is, but neither does BTD. He's pretty much a inside politics type who doesn't appreciate how common man this may feel to those watching.

by bruh3 2008-08-28 05:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

I can't STAND Talkleft. Have you read those comments? Jeralyn called Michelle Obama angry.

You know those people should rename their website, TalkRight.

by sweet potato pie 2008-08-28 06:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Ah, talkleft...  I remember when they used to offer intelligent commentary.  Hopefully Jeralyn will learn something from burning her credibility.

by username 2008-08-28 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Kaine ordered that mountain to move

worst speech of the convention so far...but considering the fantastic speeches we have heard this week we can't hold it against the guy.

by JDF 2008-08-28 04:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Kaine ordered that mountain to move

Once he's Obama's SecofState he won't need to give rousing speeches.

by Obama44 2008-08-28 04:40PM | 0 recs

Maddow's dancing, lol.

by Beomoose 2008-08-28 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

It looks ridiculous, in a totally good way.  As in, the revolution actually is being televised.

The whole MSNBC crew was just grooving to Stevie in their seats.  Except Buchanan, haha.

by randomscientist 2008-08-28 04:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

AL GORE in the HOUSE!! and the crowd goes WILD!

by skohayes 2008-08-28 04:45PM | 0 recs
Looks good on the tube

But Al needs to slow down.  Not letting the crowd have time to finish their cheering.

Pace it, Al!

by chrisblask 2008-08-28 04:51PM | 0 recs
slow down, Al!...

he went through his speech like a hamster on the wheel.  It's time for JerOme to ackowledge that Obama is a better candidate than Gore.

by mboehm 2008-08-28 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: slow down, Al!...

It's time for JerOme to ackowledge

He's chosen irrelevance. So who cares what he thinks?

by Obama44 2008-08-28 05:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Looks good on the tube

Gore knows that this is Obama's night. I expect he intentionally cut the applause short. Not every speech needs to be its greatest.

by Obama44 2008-08-28 05:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Looks good on the tube

Hillary did that too a little bit on Tuesday.  About the only criticism for her speech... which is a good good thing.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:54PM | 0 recs
No Difference Between the Candidates

So happy to see Gore up there.

And he's right.  I was one of those people who thought there was no difference between the candidates in 2000.

I won't make that mistake again.  Obama all the way.

by Tad 2008-08-28 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore

I think we gained something greater in the long run (at least in terms of the person Al Gore has become,) but the cost was awfully high.

by JDF 2008-08-28 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

damn.  Al's speech was too short - I could listen to that man talk for hours.

what an intelligent man.  Unlike most, I don't find him at all boring.

Do any of you remember the 1992 veep debates and how Al ripped into ol' Dan?  My then-husband, a republican, stated that if Gore ever ran for pres, he would vote for him, based on that debate.  I wonder if he did in 2000 :)

by colebiancardi 2008-08-28 05:06PM | 0 recs
I thought Gore was introducing Obama?

Guess not?

So who is introducing Obama?

Anyone know?

by twinmom 2008-08-28 05:16PM | 0 recs
Dick Durbin...

is one of the most under-reported influences on Obama's career and thinking (and Durbin was among those pushng for VP Biden).  He is a true mentor to Obama.

It was Durbin who introduced Obama on February 10, 2007 in Springfield, IL when this all began.  For many of us who were there on that cold, cold day, this is what Durbin said:

"As he goes down this long uncertain path, we want him to remember one thing:  we will be behind him every step of the way!"

by mboehm 2008-08-28 05:39PM | 0 recs
Tom Brokaw is a prick

I can't believe that the Democrats actually agreed to let this asshole host a debate.   He is sitting there and criticizing the venue, even though Chuck Todd steps in and states it was a decision of the Media (the sky cam).

Then Brokaw goes off on some other drunken tangent.

The media in this country is beyond pathetic.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Tom Brokaw is a prick

Turn to C-Span. Live with NO commentary

by venician 2008-08-28 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Right wing sights like redstate.com are going ahead and annoucing T-Paw as the Veep.

I want it quiet till after the speech, then the world should see how pathetic they were to leak this tonight on Obama's night

by TruthMatters 2008-08-28 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

The old gentlemen's rules of politics are dead.

I say, rather than complain, get even.

Obama should fill Sun Devil Stadium in McCreep's home state on the night he accepts the GOP nomination.

by Obama44 2008-08-28 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

I agree... except I would go to Columbus and fill Ohio State's Stadium... or Michigan and fill the Big House.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

I'm hoping for a Colin Powell endorsement rollout next week.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Those would be good places too. But 70,000 in McLame's home state on the night he accepts the nomination?

But it turns out McJerk backed out on leaking his VP tonight, obviously aware that it would get quashed by Obama's triumph.

by Obama44 2008-08-28 08:12PM | 0 recs
Quaylenty

Pawlenty is a lightweight right-wing douchebag who will get destroyed by Biden. He's also unknown outside Minnesota and the political world. It's Dan Quayle all over again.

by elrod 2008-08-28 05:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Quaylenty

As long as he doesn't flip minnesota...

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Fat fucking chance

Yes, but he may bring out enough R voters to doom Al Franken. That would be sad.

by itsthemedia 2008-08-28 07:37PM | 0 recs
Any Generation Kill fans out there?

Because, in the parade of military figures earlier, one of them was none other than Lt. Nate Fick.

by Angry White Democrat 2008-08-28 05:24PM | 0 recs

why didn't wes talk?

by alyssa chaos 2008-08-28 05:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

There are only so many time slots.

by Obama44 2008-08-28 05:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Agreed. And better for him to speak at more intimate events than to be buried in a sea of speakers here.

by Beomoose 2008-08-28 05:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

I wish I knew.  I have to think something bad happened between the two of them that we don't know.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:57PM | 0 recs
I doubt it.

Think about it...the generals' parade is aimed at convincing Republicans and Independents that Obama can be a convincing commander in chief.  Wes Clark is too politically involved--everybody knows he's a Democrat, his opinion doesn't have as much swaying power over sympathetic Indies and Reps.  They needed an unknown to give the speech to make it maximally impressive for the target audience.

by Elsinora 2008-08-28 06:24PM | 0 recs
I love Pamella!!

Lifelong Republican, voted Nixon, Reagan Bush and Bush.

Not any longer!

Barney Smith, I love him too!

Lifelong Republican, Marion, Indiana.  Job shipped overseas, after 31 years, got 90 days pay.

"Need a president who puts Barney Smith before Smith Barney"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The crowd goes nuts!!!! "Barney! Barney!"

Ooooo, I see such an ad....

by chrisblask 2008-08-28 05:43PM | 0 recs
Re: I love Pamella!!

And straight to the Boss "Born in the USA" and (on MSNBC) a guy waving a huge american flag in the very top row of the nosebleed seats....

WOOF!

by chrisblask 2008-08-28 05:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

HAHAHAHA!!!! "John McCain's campaign has informed us that they will NOT be releasing the name of his VP candidate tonight."

Wow. Only thing that could have been better would have been having Bruce Springsteen at the end.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 05:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Damn

Eat a brownie for me!  :-D

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 05:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

"We need to put Barney Smith before Smith Barney."  Nice!

by rfahey22 2008-08-28 05:44PM | 0 recs
PRIDE

Dude, CSPAN kicks so much ass.

The voter testament speeches they just aired gave me goosebumps.

I couldn't be more proud to be an American... all those proud citizens waiving their flags, I'm gonna be in tears before the end of the night...

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

by dannybauder 2008-08-28 05:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Has anyone but me been watching the ordinary American testimonials. The last two, ex-Republicans from North Carolina and Indians. were incredibly touching. Got to get these folks in ads ASAP.

by jlmccreery 2008-08-28 05:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

Senator Durbin in the HOUSE!

by skohayes 2008-08-28 05:57PM | 0 recs
You know your state isn't a swing state when...

WA Republican candidate for governor Dino Rossi is running ads in the convention trying to piggyback on Obama.  Talk about giving up on the state.

by thezzyzx 2008-08-28 06:06PM | 0 recs
Re: and Gordon Smith

Yes we do.

by Cincinnatus 2008-08-28 07:25PM | 0 recs
Best Line of the Night

Barney Smith from Indiana, in the everyday people's speeches -- "I want a President who will work for Barney Smith, not Smith Barney."

by activatedbybush 2008-08-28 06:08PM | 0 recs
If it's Pawlenty...

we caught a break.  Romney would be much more impressive and formidable.  Presidential nominees in a close race need to go beyond their comfort zone in picking a runnng-mate.  McCain would have to do that to pick Romney or Hutchison, both of whom would do more for election chances than Pawlenty.

by Thaddeus 2008-08-28 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: If it's Pawlenty...
Romeny is more of a flip flopper than McCain, or maybe a close second and evangelicals don't think much of Mormons.
He will be worthless in debates against Biden.
My first choice would be a pro-choice Republican, to really piss off the evangelicals, but Romney is perfectly acceptable.
by skohayes 2008-08-28 06:18PM | 0 recs

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!! !

by spacemanspiff 2008-08-28 06:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
by chrisblask 2008-08-28 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Inside Mile High Stadium

"What does it say about your judgement when you think George Bush has been right 90% of the time?"

by skohayes 2008-08-28 06:23PM | 0 recs
I've been waiting for a night like this since 1972

the night George McGovern lost to Nixon.

by Lefty Coaster 2008-08-28 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: I've been waiting for a night like this

I wasn't alive in 72, but I was able to vote in 2000 and 2004, and I never knew I was waiting for a night like this until tonight.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: I've been waiting for a night like this

Been waiting for it since '68.  Is perfect.

by mady 2008-08-28 06:54PM | 0 recs

USA! USA! USA! USA!

by spacemanspiff 2008-08-28 06:48PM | 0 recs
Barack Obama's foot...

meet John McCain's ass.

John McCain's foot, on the other hand (the other foot?)...meet John McCain's mouth.

by Elsinora 2008-08-28 06:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama's foot...

That sounds like the worst episode of I Love Lucy ever.

by vcalzone 2008-08-28 06:54PM | 0 recs

Wow.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-28 07:03PM | 0 recs
OMFG

wow.  I am enthralled.  Especially with the outright challange to McCain to basically 'bring it on'.   We are no longer going to put of with the crap that the GOP tries to do during elections.

I think this speech may have been the game changer tonight.  If this country is what I hope it is, it will be.

by gavoter 2008-08-28 07:07PM | 0 recs
We may have seen

the first Mormon President tonight. Not Romney, Mark Udall. His 5 minute speech was head and shoulders above any of the VP also-rans, IMHO.

by itsthemedia 2008-08-28 07:45PM | 0 recs