Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

I'm here in the hall, where following the nomination of Barack Obama the Democrats' Senate candidates are being featured. While we wait for Big Dog and the next Vice President of the United States, here are some new numbers from CNN and Time (.pdf) from some key swing states:

Colorado (8/24-26, 670 RVs, MoE +/- 4.0%

John McCain: 47 percent
Barack Obama: 46 percent

Nevada (8/24-26, 625 RVs, MoE +/- 4.0%

John McCain: 44 percent
Barack Obama: 49 percent

New Mexico (8/24-26, 659 RVs, MoE +/- 4.0%

John McCain: 40 percent
Barack Obama: 53 percent

Pennsylvania (8/24-26, 669 RVs, MoE +/- 4.0%

John McCain: 43 percent
Barack Obama: 48 percent

Not too bad, not too bad. Looking across the polling from these states, it appears that Colorado is about as tight as can be; Pennsylvania is close, though Obama has a noticeable edge; New Mexico is probably tighter than CNN and Time have it, though Obama probably has an edge; and Nevada is close. Gotta run do some reporting, but will be back to blog some more forthwith...

Tags: Barack Obama, White House 2008 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

Let's hope the convention helps push Colorado firmly into the Democratic category!  And as an aside, Go Broncos!

by MtnFrost 2008-08-27 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

I was with you right up until that Broncos bit.

I'm a long suffering Raiders fan.

by fogiv 2008-08-27 04:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

Well....nobody's perfect.  It's a big tent.

by MtnFrost 2008-08-27 04:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

True.  Come regular season, you stay on your side, and I'll stay on mine.  ;)

by fogiv 2008-08-27 04:38PM | 0 recs
I'm a R8R H8R

Go Broncos!

The Raiders are almost too pathetic to hate these days...

by elrod 2008-08-27 04:29PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm a R8R H8R

I know.  The Raiders are a family curse, handed down from my Grandfather, to my Father (who had season tickets for the 1968 season), to me.

I spend huge chunks of football season with my ears plugged, humming.

by fogiv 2008-08-27 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

What happened to Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania..?  I thought they were key swing states?  Are we only going to look at the "new" map that the party is counting on?

by Radiowalla 2008-08-27 03:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

They weren't in this poll.  Settle down, chief.

But if you're curious, Mason-Dixon shows Obama up one in Florida today:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/ 2008/president/fl/florida_mccain_vs_obam a-418.html

by randomscientist 2008-08-27 03:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

So what you are really saying is you don't want to hear about the new map. You want to keep using the same map that has failed us in the last two presidential elections?

I hear that one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result...

by JDF 2008-08-27 03:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nominee is Doing Well in the Swing States

We?!?  Why do you care?  It would seem you're no longer a Democrat.

I'll be proud to become a Democrat (3.75 / 4)
again after they reform the primary system.

by: Radiowalla @ Tue Aug 26, 2008 at 22:29:01 PM CDT

Too late for democracy in 2008 (4.00 / 5)
I remain suspicious and will judge them by their works.

by: Radiowalla @ Sat Aug 23, 2008 at 19:55:11 PM CDT

by fogiv 2008-08-27 04:33PM | 0 recs
No, I'm no longer a Democrat

I'm an independent AND a poster on this board.  The "we" referred to the board.

I quit the Democratic party when the party became undemocratic, i.e. after the egregious Rules and Bylaws committee meeting which shifted votes around as though they didn't represent the will of the voters.

I do care what happens in November.  That's why I'm not voting for McCain.

Thanks for your "concern."

by Radiowalla 2008-08-28 07:08AM | 0 recs
Re: No, I'm no longer a Democrat

Fair enough.  It's comforting to know you haven't gone to the darkside, as many who frequent Alegre's Corner have (with respect to a McCain vote).

I remember you from pre-"strike" DKos, and respect your thoughts and opinions, just as I did back then.

My "concern" is born directly of the recent spate of Freeper Trolls and PUMA lunacy around here.  If you're so inclined, forgive my itchy trigger finger.

by fogiv 2008-08-28 08:54AM | 0 recs
Not everyone at Alegre's Corner

is urging a vote for McCain.    However, everyone there, including myself,  is outraged at the undemocratic primary process that the DNC fostered and everyone is enraged at the party leadership who nudged the election away from Clinton and towards Obama, ignoring the popular vote and Obama's weakness in the battleground states.

My hunch is that most Clinton devotees will come 'round in time for November.  Some of it will depend on how they are treated in the meantime and whether the Obama camp in the netroots and in the party leadership continue to vilify them and dismiss their legitimate concerns about  primary reform.

There are a number of Clinton voters who don't think Obama is qualified to be president and these voters can only be reached by Obama himself.  He has to show that he has the strength and the fortitude to implement a  specific, detailed agenda.

Let's hope that he makes a good start on this tonight.

My trigger finger gets pretty itchy sometimes, too.  These are emotional times.

by Radiowalla 2008-08-28 03:19PM | 0 recs
Always assume that EVERYTHING

is close.

by puma 2008-08-27 03:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Always assume that EVERYTHING

well yeah, everything IS close, except for Illinois, NY, CA, NJ ...

How will Mitt Romney  play in MA if he is the nominee.   I read that he makes a difference in MI ... but he was the governor of MA, correct?   Are we to assume he has more pull in MI where his daddy was big and not in MA where he was big?

by Monkei 2008-08-27 03:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Always assume that EVERYTHING

When it comes to Presidential elections Mass is blue as blue can be. The only way he would make a meaningful difference there is if HE was the Republican nominee and I am not sure that even that would be enough to swing it.

by JDF 2008-08-27 03:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Always assume that EVERYTHING

There is a tendency to vote red for governor here to balance an overwhelmingly blue everything else.  Romney was not loved here.  It may actually dissuade indepependents from voting for McCain in this state if they are so inclined, if Romney is VP.

by mady 2008-08-27 04:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nomine

I have always said this before.  This election is going to be much closer than anyone thinks.  But the number that really worries me is CO.  Up until a couple of weeks ago BO has always been up in CO but in the last two weeks i have seen several polls showing McCain slightly ahead.  IMHO CO is the most important state and i just dont think we should be hoping for VA or OH.  And no matter what the numbers say BO is a long shot in FL.

Thus, imho CO is the most important state in the eleciton.  And even if BO doesnt get a national bounce in the polls the convention is in Denver and my guess is he will get a good bounce in CO.

And while i am on my soap box we should be thanking the person who knew how important CO was going to be this election and thank him for putting the convention in Denver.  Thank you Howard Dean.

david

by giusd 2008-08-27 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Our Nomine

I'm not a poll addict, but I base my outlook more on them than gut feelings.

by Obama44 2008-08-27 04:18PM | 0 recs