DNCC: John Kerry

Sorry I'm late. John Kerry is hitting McCain. Good to see.

For all those who still believe in the myth of the maverick to the reality of the politician." Kerry is essentially calling McCain a flip flopper, or worse, a normal politician contrasting candidate McCain and Senator McCain.

"Are you kidding me folks!? Talk about being for it before you're against it!" HUGE APPLAUSE here. Hilarious.

"Before he ever debates Barack Obama, John McCain should finish the debate with himself." Niiiiice.

Kerry's repeated refrain: "Who do we trust to keep America safe?"

"No one can question Barack Obama's patriotism. Like all of us, he was taught what it means to be an American by his family." This speech is John Kerry's redemption.

Kerry has more passion in his voice talking about Republican political tricks and questioning Democrats' patriotism than I've ever heard from him, even his own acceptance speech. Is this the best speech of John Kerry's life?

Tags: DNCC (all tags)

Comments

this woulda been great in 2004

seems like John Kerry came a little late to the game of political hardball. Just four years earlier, and he'd be gearing up for a landslide re-election. I'm sad Bob Shrum cut his balls off that year. Kerry woulda been a great Prez.

by Lakrosse 2008-08-27 05:39PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Wow.  An angry, vindicating Kerry.  Give em' hell, John...  They so had it coming.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-08-27 05:42PM | 0 recs
Where was this guy in 2004?

Seriously, where the fuck did this guy come from?

Kerry good speaker?

crazy world

by CAchemist 2008-08-27 05:43PM | 0 recs
He was locked in Bob Shrum's closet

in which candidates routinely lose elections, and have been doing so for nearly 30 years. Kerry woulda been an awesome President.

by Lakrosse 2008-08-27 05:43PM | 0 recs
CRUNKIN GREAT SPEECH

Wow, he is on fire. DAMN GOOD SPEECH so far. I wish he talked with this passion in 2004.

by Pravin 2008-08-27 05:43PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

This is seriously Kerry's redemption, and the only one covering it is CSPAN.  Such a shame.

by Dreorg 2008-08-27 05:45PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

CNN is covering it too. They cut in a few secs later.

by Pravin 2008-08-27 05:46PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

My apologies.  I took CNN off of my "favorites" list on my remote a while back. ;)

by Dreorg 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

No, CNN, to my amazement, is actually showing the speeches tonight. They didn't get the first half, but they damn sure got that home stretch. Wow.

by vcalzone 2008-08-27 05:46PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

They didn't cover Evan Bayh's speech, but they got him for an interview. Sheesh.

by vcalzone 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs

No great loss.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-27 06:32PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

I know WTF .... Since he's not putting his foot in his mouth, no one is interested.

This is Iowa '03 stuff... this is what got him the IAFF endorsement, this is why he was the nominee ... as for the rest of the campaign, oy....

by dannybauder 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs
I watched it on PBS

I enjoy PBS' coverage.

by Hughsterg 2008-08-27 05:59PM | 0 recs

I watched it on PBS.

Not only was it the speech of Kerry's life, I'd say it challenges for speech of the night. Clinton and Biden were great, but this was so unexpected, so on target, so note for note perfect, that, for me at least, it had the greatest impact of the evening (a close second to Beau Biden).

by vadasz 2008-08-28 03:20AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Wow, it is not an easy task to follow Bill. But Kerry is probably giving an even better speech. My God. This is a must see. If you are not watching it now, watch it!!!!. Or catch it on youtubbe.

by Pravin 2008-08-27 05:45PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Kicking ass. Joe Biden has his work cut out for him, too. Was nice to see Obama's great-uncle get a deserved shoutout.

As for where he was in 2004, I can only suggest that running for President drains you and makes you scared to say just about anything.

by vcalzone 2008-08-27 05:46PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

YEah nice touch. Though I was kind of laughing inside because the poor old guy looked like he wsa about to blurt out "WHERE AM I, WHO AM I"

by Pravin 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Exactly...he was old enough to be McCain's oldest son...

by farpispan 2008-08-27 05:56PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Delivery's still a little dry, but it is one of the best written speeches. He's following up Clinton's supergluing of McCain and Bush with a metaphorical spear through their chests so they can't get away from each other.

Also, he pulled out the flip-flopper card with self-deprecating humor, which was greatly appreciated on this end.

Unfortunately, MSNBC seems to think commercials and Olbermann are more important than the last Dem nominee at the Dem convention.

by TCQuad 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs
I am not sure about the speech

He sounds a bit too angry and seems to be still smarting from his loss.

But much better than ``Reporting for duty'' nonsense that he spoke 4 yrs ago

by ann0nymous 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs
I am not sure about the speech

He sounds a bit too angry and seems to be still smarting from his loss.

But much better than ``Reporting for duty'' nonsense that he spoke 4 yrs ago

by ann0nymous 2008-08-27 05:47PM | 0 recs
Re: I am not sure about the speech

He has every reason to be angry guy.  He had the election stolen in Ohio and he got swiftboated in August through September.

by nzubechukwu 2008-08-27 05:54PM | 0 recs
Re: I am not sure about the speech

This continue to be my problem with Democrats. there is nothing wrong with him showing emotions like anger. A lot of Americans are angry. Most people when they see anger don't think- he's too angry, they asked' what is he angry about? Then maybe they go he's too angry. By giving him this speech that he did- he told them why he was angry, and most will realize- yeah, I am angry about all of that too. It was a great speech.

by bruh3 2008-08-27 07:32PM | 0 recs
Re: After four years

Why didn't we see that in 2004???

Oh, and I got no complaints about Michelle now. She got into the spirit of things. That's what we need more of.

by Pravin 2008-08-27 05:48PM | 0 recs
Holy Shit!

I wasn't going to even log on tonight, but Kerry is fucking on fire!  I'm no rah-rah go-get-em-Dems kinda dude but I'm feeling this speech in the worst way.  Hitting McCain for betraying his stand against Rovian smears in 2000, calling out the merchants of fear or some such good phrase, spotlighting Obama's heroic uncle . . . great, great stuff.

Okay, I'll say it . . . . Rah!

by Koan 2008-08-27 05:48PM | 0 recs

WTF Kerry!

If he had half the cajones, half the fire he is showing tonight, he would have opened up a case of whoopass on Bush back in 04!

OK, somebody get the Clintons and Kerry out on the road TONIGHT!  They are all on fire.

by tlhwraith 2008-08-27 05:52PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Look at Gore...and Clinton for that matter... losing sometimes let you find a voice you didn't know you had or means you don't feel the need to play it safe... which is EXACTLY how they should act in the nomination.  If Gore had acted like his Inconvenient Truth self during 2000, had Kerry acted like tonight in 2004 had Hillary been like she was toward the end of the campaign and last night, all three might have won (well obviously not all in reality but you get the point.)

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-27 06:31PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Kerry was this good in 04, at least much of the time.  He's always been one of my favorites.  I think the press as much as the GOP showed him through such a terrible filter. Sigh.

I've never seen Democrats so on-message as today.  It bodes well for the election.

by mady 2008-08-27 05:53PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

CNN claims they know who McCain's VP is, but won't say... is there any scuttlebutt on this from other sources?

by LordMike 2008-08-27 06:03PM | 0 recs

What?

They waited all of six seconds to announce Obama's VP, why the hesitation for McCain?

by TCQuad 2008-08-27 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

Must be dull as shit and expected. And they actually did sit on it awhile, from what I understand. We may see it pop up later tonight. There's no way they'll pass up a scoop. It might detract from Obama's speech, but I'm guessing not, considering 75,000 people will be calling around, asking people to tune in.

by vcalzone 2008-08-27 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

I'm sure we'll get live feeds from the top contender's residences.

by TCQuad 2008-08-27 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

I'll catch it later on DemConvention.com, because MSNBC is being annoying.

But there were two highlights with the talking heads:

1. Chris Matthews jumped to Hillary's defense when the Repub strategist said that Hillary and Bill would vote for McCain. The exact line, when the Repub said the crowd was in the tank for Obama and wasn't being reasonable, was something to the effect of "where would you ever find a sane crowd that would agree with you?"
  2. The same Repub gave the Bush administration a C over the last eight years, at which point one of the DNC officials stated "That's some major grade inflation."

by TCQuad 2008-08-27 06:13PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: John Kerry

I wish this speech had come on another night.  I don't know about the nets or Fox or CNN but MSNBC had 0 coverage of it... I didn't know he was speaking until I saw him in the background and changed to the DNC feed.     This should have been seen by 20 plus million.

DId anyone see it on the networks?

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-27 06:28PM | 0 recs
Second best speech of his life, maybe

The title "best" has to go to his Senate testimony concerning the Winter Soldier Investigation.
 Read it here: http://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~ebolt/ history398/JohnKerryTestimony.html
 Watch it here: http://www.democracynow.org/2004/2/20/jo hn_kerry_then_hear_kerrys_historic

Regardless of the traction the Swiftboat Liars got (which shows how readily some people in this country can be stirred up to feel Nixonian contempt for real patriots), I have to believe that, if every voter could have been compelled to watch Kerry's testimony, the majority would have been moved to tears, not to mention voted for the good man.

by tdub 2008-08-27 06:29PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC error

It is DNC
Democratic National Convention

NOT

DCCC
Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

by Woody 2008-08-27 06:50PM | 0 recs
John Kerry has been Screwed

He he is the lasr Dem candidate, he got more votes than any other Democrat in history, and he was SUPER SOLID for Obama during the primaries.   For all that he got the backseat at this convention from Obama's people.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-27 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: John Kerry has been Screwed

If he got pushed to the backseat it was by the media coverage, not the schedule which put him just before Biden's speech.  Kerry and Obama are very tight.

by Piuma 2008-08-27 09:28PM | 0 recs