DNCC: Mark Warner

Mark Warner's keynote address has begun. This place is pumped right now. You can really feel the energy.

Update [2008-8-26 21:51:28 by Todd Beeton]:We were given "Renewing America's Promise" signs to hold up during Warner's speech.

Update [2008-8-26 21:51:28 by Todd Beeton]:"In four months, we will have a president who actually believes in science."

Update [2008-8-26 22:2:43 by Todd Beeton]:Warner can give a speech. He's no Barack, but this guy is good. Better than he was at YearlyKos in 2006.

This race is all about the future and that's why we must elect Barack Obama the next president!
His speech used his experience as a future-looking entrepreneur to frame Obama as the future...as "old partisanship gives way to new ideas...and fears give way to hopes."

Update [2008-8-26 22:2:43 by Todd Beeton]:Did he mention John McCain once?

Jerome: "Warner's speech was his opening salvo for 2016."

Totally.

Tags: DNCC, mark warner (all tags)

Comments

he is great

and of this convention, the best so far, tho we anticipate Hillary Clinton. If Warner had only 4 more years of experience, he'd probably be the nominee right now, or at least veep

by Lakrosse 2008-08-26 05:47PM | 0 recs
Re: he is great

He could have been the VP if he wanted it.   I would bet he was on the top of the list as a reinforcing pick who could pull a swing state.  Best of both worlds.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-26 06:15PM | 0 recs
he had 4 years in politics

and that woulda killed him, being that thats about as much as Obama will have in January. If he had had 8, it woulda been good

by Lakrosse 2008-08-26 06:24PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

Hey, what does everyone think?  More red meat than
everyone expected.  It's a pleasent surprise.

So far so good--he's continuing the four month theme.

by esconded 2008-08-26 05:51PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

I see why he's a phenom now.

Man this is going to be a great convention.

by randomscientist 2008-08-26 05:59PM | 0 recs
I love this speech

I don't know why the response seems so muted. This is one of the best pro-Democratic speeches of the convention. It actually spells out the future.

He was my first choice for President until he dropped out. Then I went to Obama.

by elrod 2008-08-26 05:51PM | 0 recs
i really like this speech

nice indeed.

by sepulvedaj3 2008-08-26 05:58PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

I like Warner, but this post-partisan stuff isn't what's going to win the election or pave the way for new liberal legislation. In 1980 Reagan didn't go on about getting along with Democrats.

by alexmhogan 2008-08-26 06:04PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

Just watched the MSNBC pundits trash Warner's speech.

Maddow and Buchanan were in agreement on the lack of partisanship in the speeach.  Sheesh.

But Poblano wasn't too thrilled either.

by esconded 2008-08-26 06:12PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

I'm still not sure why he didn't want to be considered for VP.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-26 06:04PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

I don't know why he didn't want to be considered but boy, am I sure glad.  He would have been an awful pick and almost guaranteed a loss.

This speech was aa flat as could be and quite boring.  Yeah, he's right about a lot of issues but in terms of enthusiasm and momentum it was a total wet blanket.

If this was his "opening salvo for 2016," he should give it up now.  Schweitzer would mop the floor with him.  This speech, while fine for his own campaign, was not what was needed at a convention.

by mjshep 2008-08-26 07:42PM | 0 recs
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT

Together with Ted Kennedy and Michelle, among the best speeches so far.

Jerome is absolutely right -- this man will be president one day.

Very pumped for the rest of the convention, and can't wait to hear Hillary tonight.

by YuedoTiko 2008-08-26 06:05PM | 0 recs
"If you can ship a job to Bangalore India

You can ship a job to Flint Michigan"

by NJ Liberal 2008-08-26 06:06PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

That was a really strong ending. All of it was strong, but he really nailed the tone at the end. Basically, he projected a very serious attitude about the stakes of this election and the need to reject the approaches of the past. That kind of speech may offer a more effective way to appeal to Clinton supporters (no bitterness or condescension).

by DPW 2008-08-26 06:07PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

Maybe my expectations were too high, and while I'm not saying I didn't like Warner's speech, I just didn't feel it.

CSPAN is replaying Ted Strickland's speech now - I wish this one had been later.  It's my favorite thus far on night 2.

by zonk 2008-08-26 06:09PM | 0 recs
I must say, I thought was pretty boring

He tried a high-minded speech and I think it seemed a bit slow.  In an election in which republican identification has never been lower, Warner decided to forward the theory that the R and D was not significant.

by zmus 2008-08-26 06:09PM | 0 recs
Re: I must say, I thought was pretty boring

I agree; I feel like yesterday went better.  But we're not yet to Clinton's speech, which I'm hoping is the barn-burner.

by auronrenouille 2008-08-26 06:11PM | 0 recs
TODD:

Is it as quiet there in person as it appears to be on TV?

People, it's time to get fired up! If this weak enthusiasm is the best we can muster...well we just have to do better!

by NJ Liberal 2008-08-26 06:09PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

The ending of Warner's speech was strong; the early portion was sort of muted.

Warner will be a very serious future presidential prospect. Here's hoping he doesn't contract US Senate disease like many other former governors-turned-senator.

by blueflorida 2008-08-26 06:15PM | 0 recs
I thought MSNBC was too harsh

It was a great speech. It wasn't as "post-partisan" as Maddow says. It was pragmatic and future-oriented. But it made clear that Bush set the country on the wrong path.

by elrod 2008-08-26 06:23PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

"Warner's speech was his opening salvo for 2016."

Anyone else thinks it's kind of detached, and even tacky, to be pimping for 2016 right now when winning 2008 is front and center for Democrats?

by Obama44 2008-08-26 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

I liked the point where he said we need to get the best ideas regardless of the party.

But the bipartisanship can get too cute. There is nothing wrong with calling incompetence incompoetence. There is nothing partisan about that. He did it, but in such muted terms, I doubt anyone evne remembered it.

He should have put it in his own manner how dumb the Iraq war was. He kind of mentioned it, but he did not, in my opinion, hammer it home enough what a foolish decision that was, even if you go at it from a non idealogical POV. He was the keynote speaker. He needed to drive that point home in such strong terms that there would be no doubt in an independent's mind that McCain's lead in the polls about who to trust on foreign policy is perplexing. He could have used business analogies to drive that point home.

by Pravin 2008-08-26 08:27PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Mark Warner

It would have been nice if Warner, said as a businessman, he is aware of how the US, while still the strongest nation inthe world, no longer has the same purchasing opower in the world it once had. He could have given examples of how the Dollar has declined drastically versus the Euro under George Bush and put an end to the notion that Republicans are good at financial issues. And that should bother even the most non partisan person out there based on purely common sense reasons. His cool manner would have been good to handle such points since Hillary was going to address the visceral issues.

by Pravin 2008-08-26 08:30PM | 0 recs