DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

Kathleen Sebelius just had a great line:

There's no place like home, except for John McCain where there's no place like home...like home...like home...like home...

I don't expect we're going to see much partisan fight coming from Mark Warner tonight so I'm glad we got a little from Sebelius. And no doubt we'll get plenty from Clinton later tonight.

Update [2008-8-26 21:12:5 by Todd Beeton]:Umm, up the energy there, Governor. Jerome: "Do you remember a thing she said?" Actually I sort of don't except the line above. I think we dodged a bullet when she didn't get VP. I keep hearing Sebelius is awesome but between her SOTU response and this speech, I'm still waiting.

Tags: DNCC, Kathleen Sebelius (all tags)

Comments

I don't think there is a speaker

as boring as she is. She's from kansas, just like Bob Dole, so I don't think this is coincidence.

by Lakrosse 2008-08-26 05:11PM | 0 recs
Re: I don't think there is a speaker

Does this mean she has an annoying habit of referring to herself in the 3rd person?

by zonk 2008-08-26 05:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Wow

Idaho sucks.

Do I win a prize? :p

by Englishlefty 2008-08-26 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Wow

No.  "Taxachusetts."

by username 2008-08-26 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius
Yes, it was an excellent line.
But I can't help thinking that what this convention really needs is Ann Richards, may she rest in peace.  She would know how to fire up the crowd.
by Radiowalla 2008-08-26 05:14PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

A lot of Democratic rising stars could stand to hire a speech coach.

by vcalzone 2008-08-26 05:15PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

"Umm, up the energy there, Governor. Jerome: "Do you remember a thing she said?" Actually I sort of don't except the line above. I think we dodged a bullet when she didn't get VP. I keep hearing Sebelius is awesome but between her SOTU response and this speech, I'm still waiting."

THANK GOD!! I thought I was the only one.Kansas.....ewwww

by bsavage 2008-08-26 05:16PM | 0 recs
We need a drawl, actually...

Face it - and I say this as a lifelong northerner - a good political speech just sounds better when it comes with a sweet tang to it.

I hope Bill dials it up tomorrow.

by zonk 2008-08-26 05:17PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

I once thought she might be chosen VP. Her words were good tonight, but in this the dirtiest GOP campaign in our generation, he simply couldn't afford a running mate who is so darned NICE.

And speaking of McBush's dirty campaign. for those who have been worriting about his attacks hurting Obama, Kieth Olbermann provided a dose of reality last night. It seems that since the Mac attacks started six week ago, Obama has gained among likely voters.

Let me repeat: Obama has gained among likely voters.

It's at the end of this exchange between Maddow and Buchanan...

by Obama44 2008-08-26 05:21PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

i'm just glad she wasn't picked as veep.  Charisma matters.

by thereisnospoon 2008-08-26 05:21PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

Disagree. Charisma doesn't matter for VP. I think she would have been great.

She fails in other areas though...I'm not sure she would be a great attack dog as a governor from a red state.

by Dale Johnson 007 2008-08-26 05:28PM | 0 recs
red state gives you more cred

... because you talk about what your constituents, what your rural voters want. What they need.

by BlogSurrogate57 2008-08-27 07:07AM | 0 recs
Best line this convention:

Lost amid not being prime-time... Ted Strickland:

You know, it was once said of the first George Bush that he was born on third base and thought he'd hit a triple. Well, with the 22 million new jobs and the budget surplus Bill Clinton left behind, George W. Bush came into office on third base--and then he stole second.

by mistersite 2008-08-26 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Best line this convention:

Epic win.

by TCQuad 2008-08-26 05:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Best line this convention:

OMG that's the best line of the night so far.

by auronrenouille 2008-08-26 05:55PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

(Disclaimer: Yanks/Sox tonight, so I'm watching that. Will catch up on convention speeches at the Dem website afterwards)

I've never heard Sebelius be energetic, but her skill is what sells her, not her oratory. Let's face it: if you get elected to governor in Kansas as a Democrat, you've got to be a decent politician (or your opponent must be some sort of demonic spawn). Her bipartisanship was her selling point, her speech was something that could be developed on-the-job.

Besides, she's a moderate. Moderates aren't usually attack dogs. Fortunately, good lines are still good in print, even if their original delivery wasn't good.

Meanwhile, David Patterson on John McCain: "If he's the answer, the question must be ridiculous." Yeah... That's the stuff.

by TCQuad 2008-08-26 05:28PM | 0 recs
She is a modern LBJ

... but leaves less blood on the floor afterwards.

It's a question of what you want -- and obama went for charisma and wit.

A friend of mine said it best "those assholes deserve each other" (disc: yes, he will be voting democrat)

by BlogSurrogate57 2008-08-27 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

Some good lines in Bob Casey's speech...

Too bad he...doesn't deliver them very well.

by zonk 2008-08-26 05:29PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm thinking about

I had a similar idea.

But then I realised that not everybody wants to read 5000 words of profanity and aspersions regarding John McCain and zoo animals.

Although I stand by every word.

by Englishlefty 2008-08-26 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Bob Casey of Pennsylvania

Good line, indeed!

by freedom78 2008-08-26 05:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Bob Casey of Pennsylvania

Great speech.

by elrod 2008-08-26 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

i tuned her out unconsciously.

whoops

by alex100 2008-08-26 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

Good progressive politcan and good speech on paper, but I'm sorry she uses the same voice that I'm told to put my tray table up before landing. Sound emotional people, this really is the election of a lifetime!

I'm real glad Obama picked Biden. He's got no problem kicking ass and taking names.

by alexmhogan 2008-08-26 06:00PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC: Kathleen Sebelius

Well, you do realize that a lowered tray table, in a hard landing, could shatter your solar plexus and lead to slow, agonizing death by asphyxiation, right?  It could be the plastic-tray-swiveling of a lifetime, so perhaps the tone is right on.

by username 2008-08-26 07:50PM | 0 recs